Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Wed 28-Nov-12 05:11 PM

I would take a stab at understanding how my fellow Nikonians transfer their images from their D800 to the computer?
It would also be nice to know why we have our behaviors when it comes to cards.

I think this will be a useful poll.

Thank you for your participation.

Reza Gorji

Poll result (63 votes)
I take my cards out and hook up to a card reader
(47 votes)Vote
I take my cards out but my computer has a built in card reader
(12 votes)Vote
I connect the D800 to the computer via USB cable
(4 votes)Vote
I use WiFi enabled card and avoid cables and card readers
(0 votes)Vote
I store all my images on my cards as permenant storage
(0 votes)Vote

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#1. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 28-Nov-12 04:41 PM

For me, its just a habit to take out and put in thru a card reader. When travelling, my newer macbook pro has the slot so I do not have to carry a card reader.

Thanks for participating.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10552 posts

#2. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 28-Nov-12 09:21 PM

I use the Lexar USB 3 card reader for my D800 CF card (my primiary card).

I usually use the card reader on my computer for my D7000 and D600 SD cards.

I used the camera and cable once in the past year and found it to be VERY slow compared to the card reader.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#3. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 29-Nov-12 07:40 PM

Thank you Eric. I am a bit surprised by the poll results so far but I'm glad I put it up.

-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#4. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 3

EricBarney Registered since 02nd Oct 2012
Fri 30-Nov-12 12:01 AM

Over the past twenty years, I have assembled my own desktop PC's. The current one, I added a SOHOUSB bay mounted USB 3.0/SATA card reader. Perfect for the big file sizes from the D800. And it works with both the CF, and SD cards. (Plus many others.)

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#5. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 30-Nov-12 12:37 AM

If you buy a card reader, I would get a usb 3.0 model, they are noticeably faster than usb 2.0. Of course you'll need a computer with usb 3.0 capability.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#6. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Fri 30-Nov-12 01:40 AM

Card reader all the time. I don't see any computers being made anymore with dedicated CF slots. Probably would be on a slow USB bus even if they did. When I finally upgrade my computer I'll probably get a USB 3 reader to make full use of the UDMA capabilities. If only my eSATA card reader hadn't been a pile of useless junk...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#7. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 6

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 01-Dec-12 05:40 AM | edited Sat 01-Dec-12 05:44 AM by richardd300

I load my cards into the PC slot, but for a long time I used the USB - camera method. My first digital camera was a Minolta Dynax 7 which took CF cards only and one card bent a pin in the camera. It was repaired, but for years after that with my Nikons I was afraid it may happen again. I hope I haven't just tempted fate!

My new Dell Windows 7 quad core, 32Gb ram PC came with slots and is very fast.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
172 posts

#8. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Sat 01-Dec-12 01:18 PM | edited Sat 01-Dec-12 02:04 PM by Skyco

I keep a card reader plugged into my desktop computer and have a second card reader and extra iPhone, iPad etc. cables in my Photo travel case.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#9. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 8

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 01-Dec-12 02:45 PM

I've had over a dozen Nikon DSLR cameras in the same number of years.
It may surprise you but
I have never even tried to transfer images from the camera to the computer except once by WiFi several years ago.

I now use an USB3 reader

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#10. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 01-Dec-12 03:08 PM

I'm usually dumping multiple cards so I have a couple of readers plugged up. I had 6 cards out of 3 cameras yesterday (2 games) to dump, so I use whatever method is fastest. My MBP has Thunderbolt, but no USB3, so USB3 readers are not an option for me.

MBP owners are anxiously awaiting a Thunderbolt card reader. I fear it may never come.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

#11. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 10

helmdr Registered since 08th Nov 2012
Sat 01-Dec-12 07:28 PM

Here is a thunderbolt sd or cf card reader solution

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#12. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 4

avisys Basic Member
Sat 01-Dec-12 08:32 PM

>I added a SOHOUSB bay mounted USB
>3.0/SATA card reader. Perfect for the big file sizes from the
>D800. And it works with both the CF, and SD cards. (Plus many
>others.)

Is this a reader that mounts in a 3.5/5.25 bay, connects to SATA, but provides USB3 in a computer that does not have internal USB3 connection? (I have external USB3 but no internal USB3 for a bay-mounted drive)

If so, what is the brand and source?

Thanks,

AviSys

noneco

Vancouver, CA
309 posts

#13. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 12

noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Sun 02-Dec-12 05:33 PM

I never use the cable for 2 reasons 1. slower than readers 2. it is difficult to attach with a L bracket. For travel I take a "Sonnet DiO Pro CompactFlash and SDXC USB 3.0 Media Reader" which has only 2 ports. At home I installed an AKASA USB-3 multi card reader. Oddly, the CF card needs to be inserted up side down. That took a bit of figuring!

Cal

noneco

Vancouver, CA
309 posts

#14. "RE: Image transfers out of D800: Card, cable, Wifi or none of the above" | In response to Reply # 12

noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Sun 02-Dec-12 05:46 PM

If you have a free PCI slot there are USB-3 cards with 2 external and 2 internal ports. The 2 internal ports use 1 19-pin cable. You need to make sue that the cable that comes with the card reader (if one does) is long enough. If the card reader does use the 19-pin cable, you can run a adapter cable with 2 USB-3 plugs on one end and the 19-pin on the other from 2 external ports to the back of the internal card reader.

G