Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Transferring from D800E to iPad3

Tom from Maryland

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tom from Maryland Registered since 07th Aug 2012
Sat 10-Nov-12 11:48 AM

Yesterday I posted this request for help
"I can transfer into iPhoto both NEF and JPG file from my D300 using the USB cable. When I try to transfer from the D800E only the JPG files transfer while the NEF file display a "!" in each picture. I even took the SD card out of the camera and put it into the adapter and got the same results. I called Apple support and they do not have a clue about this problem. I have checked the Nikon website and all they talk about is the NEF CODEC for windows, nothing for the iPad. I am using the new iOS 6 on the iPad. Is there a fix for this problem?

I have been looking buying an Apple Pro laptop with retina display but if this is a problem there, it would rule it out.

Thanks for you help."

I got asked about the size of the iPad, which is 64GB with 42.9GB available. I also got asked about the version, which latestlastest version 6.0.1.

I am hoping some one on here can help me.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbheron

Cedar Falls, US
216 posts

#1. "RE: Transferring from D800E to iPad3" | In response to Reply # 0

gbheron Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007
Sat 10-Nov-12 12:45 PM

Good morning, Tom,

I have the same iPad that you are working with. I was not aware there were iPad applications that would process NEF files. I do load images from several Nikon cameras to the iPad directly via Apple's Camera Connection Kit, and the process shows that it can "see" there are both JPEG and NEF files on the SD card, but there is nothing to indicate the NEF files are being loaded to the iPad. I will probably buy a Mac this winter so that I will be living in both Windows and OS X worlds. Please let me know if you find there is a way to process NEF on an iPad!

Happy Nikon shooting,
Randy

shastings

Perth, AU
21 posts

#2. "RE: Transferring from D800E to iPad3" | In response to Reply # 1

shastings Registered since 05th Nov 2007
Sun 11-Nov-12 12:21 PM

My iPad 3 shows the photos from my D800 as 'RAW+JPG' when they show up ready to be imported. However, on the iPad the NEF files do not show up and cannot be processed by any iPad application.

They can be transferred from the iPad to your computer and processed. I have a MacBook Pro, which runs an entirely different operating system to the iPad and can handle RAW files from all but the very latest cameras.

Apple updates the codec regularly, which is why Nikon does not need to put out an Apple codec as well as a Windows one.

Which doesn't explain the odd message on your iPad when trying to import photos from your D800E. I tried it using the USB3 cable that came with the D800 and it is working normally for me.

I have the camera set up to write initially to the CF card, with the SD card as overflow. So, wondering how yours is set up? Are you having the JPEG and NEF files sent to different cards?

regards, Susan.

Susan

Tom from Maryland

US
11 posts

#3. "RE: Transferring from D800E to iPad3" | In response to Reply # 2

Tom from Maryland Registered since 07th Aug 2012
Sun 11-Nov-12 02:02 PM

Thank you all for your replies. This morning everything is working like I would of expected it to. I can transfer NEF files to my iPad3 from both my D300 and my D800E. I can edit all of these photos in iPhoto, Snapseed and PS Express. I do not have a clue what changed or what I am doing different today.

At this point I feel this apple stuff is harder to learn than using my brothers Canon camera. I am still trying to find the TV picture on it. The little dial on top says "tv", but no channels anywhere. I sure am glad I use Nikon.

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#4. "RE: Transferring from D800E to iPad3" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Mon 12-Nov-12 12:04 AM | edited Mon 12-Nov-12 12:04 AM by slothead

Hello Tom from Maryland. I'm Tom from Maryland too (but I don't use it as a username). I don't bother trying to load my NEFs into my iPad, I only load my JPGs when I want to, but I do load both into my MBP w/Retina with no problems.

So although I can't solve your problem loading your NEFs into the iPad, I can assure you that unless there is some other problem that neither of us are not aware of, you needn't worry about loading into the MBP w/Retina.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#5. "RE: Transferring from D800E to iPad3" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Mon 12-Nov-12 01:54 AM

I only shoot raw and had this problem with my D800. What I found was that it takes several retries to get it to load. I'll jiggle the cables a little and reimport. I usually found tht every third time worked. Just keep trying and it will eventually work.

G