Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 08:39 AM

I got my new D800 on Wednesday. Should have been an ecstatic day.

Everything was in order and fully packaaged as normal. However:
- the camera battery was charged
- the menu did not ask me to input time and date - this had already been done
- various custom settings had been changed and two lenses had been entered in the AF correction settings.

So I took a little jpeg image to analyse the EXIF data. used two programs easily available on the internet. both reported 1244 shutter activations.

The supplier says that the camera was received from wholesaler, checked and shipped directly to me. He also says this happens regularly and camaeras they receive can have anything from 500 to 3000 activations logged on them. I kinda doubt that this much testing happens in the production process.

The camera appears to be in perfect working order and has no signs of previous use, not even fingerprints but I feel it has been misrepresented to me. so I want to know its history before I decide whether to keep it or not.

am I being unreasonably fussy here?

returning it will be a huge fight with the supplier - consumer rights are not well entrenched into the way of doing busineess here in South Africa as compared with places like USA. One can only return items if there are latent or patent defects, or misrepresentation of the goods. So I need to be sure I have a decent justification if I decide to return it. and I have only 3 working days left to act in terms of our laws here.

comments?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#1. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Thu 01-Nov-12 08:28 AM | edited Thu 01-Nov-12 08:32 AM by SirPuttsAlot

Just like you, I always check my camera's when I first take them out of the box and I have never received a camera with any actuations on it, sounds like a demo or returned item.

>am I being unreasonably fussy here?

I don't think so. In the US a returned items sells as an Open Box and typically at a discount. I know Crutchfield sells open box D800's at $2699 ($300 discount) all the time.

But it's completely up to you if it's worth the battle. I personally would 1st check if it has the left focus issue, if it does not, then I would try and get some $$$ back as they sold you a used camera. If they are unwilling, I would return it.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#2. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 01-Nov-12 09:49 AM

Report Back

In the interim I was contacted by Nikon's South African distributor.

they have checked and confirmed that the camera has not previously been sold, registered or repaired on their system. also confirmed that it was delivered from their new stock to the retailer on the same day that it was packaged for shipment by retailer to me.

I was offered a new camera in exchange at no cost but decided to keep the one I already have to avoid the inconvenience. It has no detectable faults or wear. A superficial check for the left focus issue has not showed any problem. I will conduct a detailed check when I have time over the weekend.

Have to give credit to the local supplier for their rapid response to my e-mail and their unconditional offer to replace the unit.

Visit

blw

Richmond, US
28579 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 09:54 AM

I wonder what really happened here. I seriously doubt that there's anything wrong with the camera, and since it hasn't been registered etc, I think it's fine.

But... 1244 cycles. The D800 does only 4 fps, so that's more than five minutes with the shutter held down. It makes me wonder where 1200+ cycles came from. Not that 1200 cycles is much of an issue, I think the shutter is rated to 300,000. Still this is like a car with 700km on it, right off the truck. A good car today should be capable of going 300,000 km, so 700 is nothing - but how did they get 700km on it from the truck to here?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10548 posts

#4. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 01-Nov-12 11:29 AM

I would not worry about it.

If there is AF testing of a finished camera, you will go through a large number of shutter activations. The Reiken FoCal system runs about 600+ shutter activations for a single cycle. I expect there are other systems available and used by Nikon and repair shops and have no doubt they generate similar numbers of activations.

In the scheme of things, 1200 activations is small compared to a 200,000 cycle shutter. How many activations will you really use over the camera's life - 50,000? Unless you are a collector and won't be using the camera, it really should not matter.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

blw

Richmond, US
28579 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 4

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 11:46 AM

> The Reiken FoCal system runs about 600+ shutter activations for a single cycle.

Interesting, I've never used one of those. But wouldn't Nikon have done their calibration in some other way? Usually cameras come with a single digit number of frames on them, or at least they have in the past.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#6. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 5

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Thu 01-Nov-12 12:08 PM

The seller's story sounds like hogwash to me ... but I agree with the others. If it's a lot of trouble to exchange it and the camera checks out 100% OK, you might just keep it. If it's fairly easy to swap it for a new one, I'd swap it.

You might want to check with Nikon to make sure it has not been registered for warranty by someone else. If that was done online the registration coupon would still be in the box, untouched.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS 24L & BH-55
Nikkors: *14-24 *24-70 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300 & Tamron 90mm Macro

mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US
733 posts

#7. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

mfphoto1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005
Thu 01-Nov-12 12:18 PM

Maybe you got the production batch test camera. So many cameras produced in a batch randomly pull x amount to test. Test ok, batch is good to go package cameras and ship to consumers.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10548 posts

#8. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 5

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 01-Nov-12 01:05 PM

<Interesting, I've never used one of those. But wouldn't Nikon have done their calibration in some other way? Usually cameras come with a single digit number of frames on them, or at least they have in the past.>

I'm not sure, but there was a recent report of a camera coming back from Nikon Service with about 1200 shutter activations. Since the test product is relatively new, it would not surprise me that Nikon has a more advanced program used for quality control or service. We've had earlier reports of other "new cameras" showing up with shutter activations and dismissed it as an open package or a return. There may have been a different reason.

The good new is that if the camera AF was tested as a production sample, there would be no AF issues. I would willingly submit my future new camera body or lens to such a test.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#9. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 01-Nov-12 01:55 PM

Wouldn't it be nice and simple -- and ethical -- if Nikon just told all of us Nikon lovers exactly us what's going on with the focus issue?

Nikkors: *14-24 *24-70 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300 & Tamron 90mm Macro

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#10. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 4

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Thu 01-Nov-12 02:45 PM

>The Reiken FoCal system runs about 600+ shutter activations for a single cycle.

Do you mean 600+ for all 51 AF points Eric?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10548 posts

#11. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 01-Nov-12 05:21 PM

<Do you mean 600+ for all 51 AF points Eric?>

I can't speak to the specifics since I don't use the system. There are a number of possible tests with the system. The tests take multiple images to make a series of calculations. There are tests that vary the AF point, but also tests that use different focal lengths or apertures. Any of these tests is individually going to run 100 exposures or more.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#12. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Thu 01-Nov-12 10:23 PM | edited Thu 01-Nov-12 10:23 PM by klrbee25

You've done your homework to check that it hasn't been registered, sold, or repaired before. If all is working well, I'd just enjoy it and forget the actuations number. You have the warranty for a year. I bought my last sports car with 330 miles on it. Some people would cringe at 300 miles on a new car. The reality is that it's been fantastic for the past 3 1/2 years and bulletproof with multiple track days every summer. No second thoughts.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#13. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 12

Fri 02-Nov-12 07:38 AM

>You've done your homework to check that it hasn't been
>registered, sold, or repaired before. If all is working well,
>I'd just enjoy it and forget the actuations number.

Agree Alex......That's exactly what I have decided to do

Visit

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#14. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 13

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 02-Nov-12 09:11 AM

If you have either or both of the lenses that were entered into the camera for AF fine tuning, you should probably check to see if those lenses are focusing correctly with this camera. The combination of this body and your individual copy of the lens may produce entirely different results.

Other than that, as said, don't worry about the actuations and enjoy!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#15. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 14

Sat 03-Nov-12 07:42 PM

>If you have either or both of the lenses that were entered
>into the camera for AF fine tuning, you should probably check
>to see if those lenses are focusing correctly with this
>camera.

Good advice but I have neither.....they were a 16-85VR DX lens and a 10.5 f2.8 prime. Strange choice

Visit

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#16. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 15

EricBarney Registered since 02nd Oct 2012
Mon 05-Nov-12 11:54 PM

After reading this thread, I checked my D800 for actuations. I found that it had exactly 2 more actuations than the last exposure on the card. These two may have occured in the camera shop while the sales person was showing me camera. He did not want to even open the box before he was sure I was going to buy. Reason: No shutter actuations on a new camera.

I suppose it might bug me a bit if I had found 1,200 actuations on a new camera. But if all is well, I am fairly sure that I would get over it. If the actuations were the result of testing, or tuning the camera, that could even be a bonus!

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#17. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Tue 06-Nov-12 12:10 AM

OK, I kept my mouth shut on this one, but can't any longer.

If I got a D800 with 1200 activations, it would go right back to the seller. FAST!

There is something really fishy, smelly fishy here. There has been offered no real, sensible rationale for this happening, other than some "suppositions."

If Nikon pulled that camera from the line for testing, and then packaged it for sale, the activation count would have been zeroed, to make it just like every other camera they sell. Otherwise, we would have heard of many more of these.

Somehow, it seems politically incorrect here to even suggest that the dealer, or somebody, is pulling a fast one. Well, I'll at least suggest that the evidence is pretty strong that the camera is a return, being recycled to the Nikonian member. And when there is a return, there is often a good reason for it --- related to performance.

AviSys

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#18. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 17

Tue 06-Nov-12 12:14 AM

Ditto.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#19. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 17

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 06-Nov-12 12:41 AM

And when there is a return, there is often a good reason for
>it --- related to performance.

But if the camera is performing perfectly well, is under full warranty, and the buyer is otherwise happy with it, then he may be perfectly fine in keeping it.

Who are you blaming for this: the dealer, Nikon or the buyer?

Also, this has nothing to do with the focus issue, so why did that get thrown into the conversation?

Mick
or

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#20. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 06-Nov-12 12:45 AM

Nikon Uber Alles?

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#21. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 06-Nov-12 12:54 AM

NIkon Uber Canon.

We're talking about educated consumers here, Bob. We're not all lemmings.

The OP know knows what he bought. He has options and can make the choice.

Ranting against Nikon isn't helping him much.

Mick
or

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#22. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 21

Tue 06-Nov-12 01:06 AM

Before the D800 fiasco, I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. However, I no longer fully trust or readily believe Nikon.

Regardless, I'll continue to buy Nikon cameras and lenses as long as I think they are the best available value.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#23. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 17

Tue 06-Nov-12 03:20 AM | edited Tue 06-Nov-12 03:23 AM by jamesvoortman

>
>There is something really fishy, smelly fishy here.
>

Yes there is. the stories don't tie up exactly.

At first I was told on the preceding Friday that they had the camera and it would be shipped that day. Following Monday I was told that they were still waiting for one of the smaller items I had ordered. Eventually shipped Monday afternoon from Cape Town and I received it in Pietermaritzburg (about 50 miles from Durban) on Wednesday am.

When enquiring the shutter issue I was told by the shop they shipped it the same day they received it......

Independent enquiries with Nikon SA however confirmed the camera had not been "recycled" and that it had been recently dispatched to the retailer. As far as I can tell, the camera is working perfectly.
I think somebody borrowed it for the weekend - or there is a bigger cover-up going on.

The retailer is a well known outlet with a good reputation and many years in business. However, the little white lies I got have cost them the 24-120 f4 that I am going to buy on Friday from one of their competitors at slightly higher cost - and all future business which includes a 200-400 lens once I scrape the cash together next year.

This is the most I have ever spent on a camera and so far it does not taste good. However I can't fault the actual camera itself so I'm keeping it.

Visit

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#24. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 06-Nov-12 04:52 AM

I drove myself from Pretoria to Durban in a rented car on a fact finding trip to SA for IBM a few years before the Boer government and apartheid collapsed. I loved Pietermaritzburg. I was there on a sunny Saturday morning in late Fall when rural folks had come to town to shop. In so many ways it reminded me of an American market town on a Saturday. What a beautiful country.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#25. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 24

Wed 07-Nov-12 10:32 AM

>What a
>beautiful country.
>
>

Thanks Bob. I grew up in Pmb.

Ok - did the Thom Hogan tests for the left focus issue. I shot at targets on the wall from about 10 feet. 105VR macro, f2.8, mounted on tripod, orientation of lens as near perpendicular to the wall as I could get it. Camera dead level according to tilt sensors. Mirror delay to reduce vibration. Lens AF corrections off. VR off. Lighting as bright as I could get it. 1/250th at ISO 400. Results were interesting:

1)Doing such a test handheld has no chance of meaningful results.

2)Af is much more precise in Live view than phase detect. sharper and more repeatable - should this be the case?

3) no discernable left focus issue when the camera is mounted on a tripod. Left right or centre sensors gave much the same focus right across the frame but all three marginally less sharp than using the contrast detect system in Live View.

4) some "hysteresis" in the mechanism. when you focus down from infinity or up from min focus distance the results are slightly different. focusing down from infinity was better. This could be due to the lens mechanism, not necessarily the camera.

5) don't use VR when mounted on a tripod....my first set of tests had to be trashed because of this oversight.

Much as there are some doubts about the true history of my "new" camera, it seems to be working OK. the slight issue with Phase detect AF being slightly off compared to Live view can be fixed with a lens correction since it seems consistently off across the whole field of view. I previously had a small lens correction in my D300 for the same lens.

Visit

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#26. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 17

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 07-Nov-12 11:36 AM

>Somehow, it seems politically incorrect here to even suggest
>that the dealer, or somebody, is pulling a fast one. Well,
>I'll at least suggest that the evidence is pretty strong that
>the camera is a return, being recycled to the Nikonian member.
> And when there is a return, there is often a good reason for
>it --- related to performance.

I don't see any "evidence" of any kind in this thread - just thread discussion so far, verbal assurances from the distributor, and the OP reports that the camera is in brand new condition.

Returned merchandise exists for a lot of reasons, most of them completely unrelated to performance. The retailers I deal with tell me that D800 returns are mostly related to buyers remorse about having spent too much money on too much camera - the buyers are overwhelmed by the apparent complexity of the camera.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#27. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 20

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 07-Nov-12 11:38 AM

>Nikon Uber Alles?

What does a WWII Nazi Germany reference have to do with anything here?!?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#28. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 27

Wed 07-Nov-12 02:29 PM

>>Nikon Uber Alles?
>>What does a WWII Nazi Germany reference have to do with anything here?

History 101: Deutschland Uber Alles was the rallying slogan for German patriots from 1870 through 1918, the end of WWI. It was not a Nazi slogan.

Logic 101: The slogan implies blind support despite any bad things the nation -- or in our case, Nikon -- does. I 'd have said "Nikon Fanboys" but the phrase is not tolerated on this forum.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#29. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 28

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 07-Nov-12 02:53 PM

>I'd have said "Nikon Fanboys" but the phrase is not tolerated
>on this forum.

It's any type of derogatory term that is not tolerated, Bob. Your chosen alternative is inappropriate *

I'm sure we can try to stay friendly and polite whilst still expressing disagreement with each other!

Thank you.

* The history of the anthem can be found here, which confirms that, whilst it was indeed in use in the 19th century, its first verse later became closely associated with the Nazi regime.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#30. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 28

Wed 07-Nov-12 03:37 PM

>History 101: Deutschland Uber Alles was the rallying slogan
>for German patriots from 1870 through 1918, the end of WWI.
>It was not a Nazi slogan.

All that and a Nazi slogan too, which is the most recent historical reference (since you brought it up).

>Logic 101: The slogan implies blind support despite any bad
>things the nation -- or in our case, Nikon -- does. I 'd have
>said "Nikon Fanboys" but the phrase is not tolerated
>on this forum.

It's a terribly wrought reference and inappropriate in this forum IMO. Anyway, I find no fanboys or blind allegiences in this thread.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#31. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 29

Wed 07-Nov-12 03:41 PM

Many thanks, but you can safely assume I understand. I majored in history and economics.
I very strongly disagree with reducing discussion of Nikon's serious shortcomings to the level of week old cold porridge.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#32. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 31

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 07-Nov-12 03:58 PM | edited Wed 07-Nov-12 03:59 PM by briantilley

We have to be capable of discussing Nikon's failings without using potentially-offensive phrases to refer to those who hold an opposing view.

I majored in mathematics, so I know how the impact of using a nasty term can increase exponentially...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#33. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 32

Wed 07-Nov-12 04:02 PM

>I majored in mathematics, so I know how the impact of using a nasty term can increase exponentially...

You're absolutely right about that. Just keep on moderating.

smtyoda

Ithaca, US
39 posts

#34. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 25

smtyoda Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2010
Thu 08-Nov-12 12:23 AM

I would agree with all of your observations including the reproducibility of live view. I have read (and experienced) that you will get slight variances when focusing fully racked from infinity versus minimum range using auto-focus - purportedly due to inertia of the lens elements or something to that effect.

I have also found that a shorter prime will tend to show slight discrepancies more than longer lenses or zooms...especially less expensive primes shot wide open (e.g. 50 f/1.8 D).

I have done the test with a setup to show back/front focus and found that different focus points will show variances from the center point but all (presumably) within tolerances. When I went back and tested my D700 I found a similar behavior. I think the resolution of the camera exposes a lot of the underlying systems (i.e. focus, lens, etc.).

Once I was able to assure myself that I didn't have an issue, I was able to fully enjoy the camera and just go take photos.

Cheers,
Shawn

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#35. "RE: 1244 actuations on a "new" D800 ?" | In response to Reply # 26

Thu 08-Nov-12 03:40 AM

>
>Returned merchandise exists for a lot of reasons

There was a big photographic trade show the week before I bought the camera. Possibly it was used as a demo there. Possibly it was returned for non-performance related reasons. all conjecture because neither the wholesaler nor retailer has fessed up about the true history and that dissappoints me.

Considering the uncertain path that delivered this camera into my hands, I think I will have to find an appropriate name for it

I agree about the complexity issue - fortunately for me, coming from years of D200 and D300 experience it is exactly what I waas looking for, rather than being a problem.

I will post some pics as soon as I get some nice ones.

Visit

G