Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!

Bump57

US
6898 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Wed 25-Jul-12 12:08 AM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 01:02 AM by Bump57

I know there are already threads talking about the aftermarket grip but none of them end like this! I had the worst morning today. Last night my Meike grip for the D800 arrived. I put it on inserted some fresh new 2500mah Sanyo enloops and the d800 felt just like the d300 with grip, comfortable with my big hands. I went though all the buttons & dials and all seemed fine. Just before bed I noticed I had the in camera battery for the D800 still on the charger. I left it there and went to bed anyway. When I woke up I decided to put the in camera battery in and preceded to take off the brand new grip. The thumb wheel turned about one revolution and then the gearing inside stripped out. It stripped the ---- out! Madder then you know what I spent the next 30 min trying to get this thing off my camera, no dice. The only way this thing is going to come off the camera is for me brake apart the grip and get to the screw to turn it by hand or something. Now, I am probably one of the most mechanically inclined people on the plant so I felt pretty confident I could get this thing off without damaging the camera, which I did but the grip is toast. I hate to think how this would have played out if it was someone that was not so mechanically inclined.

I believe some where on this forum I posted that I was not very happy with the price Nikon is charging for this grip/battery holder and I am still not. This was the first time I strayed away from genuine Nikon parts, it will also be the last time. After I got this thing off my camera I went straight to B&H, it's replacement will bet here Thurs! I have sent the seller a email explaining what happened and asked for a refund, still no word. I will reserve my feedback until I here form them or three days which ever comes first. They are 11000 positive at like 99% so I am not too worried though.

So for anybody on the fence for the aftermarket grip or the grip form Nikon I would stay away from the aftermarket. If one starts to think about all that could have gone wrong here it could have been a disaster.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

#1. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Tue 24-Jul-12 10:44 PM

Glad to hear you got it off mate. I bought a Pixel grip, ranted and raved on how happy I was and then today my RRS LPlate showed up and it fits but you can not access the battery door as the door is wider than the plate......And now after hearing your disaster, I just ordered a Nikon unit thru Amazon for 399.00 and the Pixel is going back tomorrow. I too ALWAYS have stuck to OEM accessories and jumped ship this time because the difference in price....Never again. I know, never say never...LOL

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dhmiller

US
899 posts

#2. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 1

dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 19th May 2009
Wed 25-Jul-12 01:16 AM

+1 on the problem with the RSS plate.Will try to sell the grip for someone who doesn;t use an L-Plate or attempt to return it (to Hong Kong!)
Dennis

Brian_S

Thunder Bay, CA
614 posts

#3. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 2

Brian_S Registered since 28th Jan 2011
Wed 25-Jul-12 06:57 AM

glad you got it off Scott with no damages to the camera, these are the kind of stories (i have heard the same issue like yours before) or aftermarket grips killing a camera why i stick to OEM parts and bought the nikon grip for my 800

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#4. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 1

tamrokin Registered since 09th Feb 2006
Wed 25-Jul-12 08:49 AM

OEM accessories ?

You would think that OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) would mean in this case: Nikon ..... however, I had a major dispute with a well known HK supplier when the OEM battery for my Nikon turned out not to be of Nikon manufacture.

The explanation was that they make batteries for Nikon so qualify as OEM. Quite wrong in my view.

I had purchased a Nikon MB-D10 for the D300 with OEM batteries. Not Nikon and they were just slightly larger and were a press fit into the charger. Not very happy about that one.

Anyhow, just a point that might interest others.

Rob

Black camera, Black lenses, Black bag ...... & NAS Black hole .....

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#5. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 3

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Wed 25-Jul-12 09:07 AM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 09:08 AM by Bump57

I got lucky removing it and hope nobody else goes through that. I would kind of relate my experience to one of the scared straight shows.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

greyface

Acushnet, US
1613 posts

#6. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Wed 25-Jul-12 03:00 PM

Hi Scott,
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Meike grip, especially since I have the same grip.
I have only used it a few times since my D800 was sent to nikon to fix the left side focus problem, the camera comes back today. Have been out of work for 2 years and will be taking an early retirement next month. Money being tight I went for the aftermarket grip. Your experience has me thinking of getting the nikon grip though I still do not understand the price difference between the MB-D10, which I have, and the MB-D12.
-------------------

D3Xwannabe

Williamsburg, US
267 posts

#7. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 6

D3Xwannabe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2009
Wed 25-Jul-12 03:58 PM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 04:01 PM by D3Xwannabe

I, for one, have had terrible luck with aftermarket batteries, grips, remotes, etc. and have long given up buying anything that is advertised for Nikon from China. However, you folks are all correct that the pricing of the new MB-D12 is ridiculously high. I bought mine in May and paid $449.00 for it and loathed every second filling out the credit card info. However, it does work flawlessly and has been on and off the camera body many, many times.

My only way to rationalize the higher prices for Nikon accessories is to think that perhaps, just perhaps, the Japanese are trying to stay afloat (pardon the pun) after the tsunami and ensuing radiation leak and then the horrible flooding at their plant in Thailand and again in Southern Japan this Spring. Just a thought.

It's not going to make Scott feel any better about the close call he had, and I can certainly sympathize with him, because I had a horribly expensive lesson learned with my D3X and an aftermarket battery that wasn't chipped correctly. My nice super-cheap $75 battery ended up costing me $450 in post-warranty period repairs to the electronic circuitry in my D3X at Nikon, Melville.

Cheers,

CARL
D3XWannabe

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#8. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 4

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 25-Jul-12 07:54 PM

>The explanation was that they make batteries for Nikon so
>qualify as OEM. Quite wrong in my view.
>
>I had purchased a Nikon MB-D10 for the D300 with OEM
>batteries. Not Nikon and they were just slightly larger and
>were a press fit into the charger. Not very happy about that
>one.

If the batteries are not "Nikon" branded, then they're not OEM batteries. Some third-party manufacturer may refer to such batteries as replacements for OEM batteries or "OEM replacement" batteries, but they're not made to Nikon standards and specs unless they're branded, bona fide, as Nikon. Many third-party manufacturers use clever marketing language in an attempt to gull us into believing that their so-called OEM replacement batteries are essentially identical to bona fide Nikon-branded batteries. Don't believe it - they're not - and that's one of the reasons they cost less.

Ther are a couple of good quality third-party substitutes for OEM Nikon batteries, but quality remains inconsistent enough from batch to batch that my own testing has produced too few good results to recommend any of them. Varta, Hahnel and Energizer have all hit the market with better than average quality third-party DSLR replacement batteries, but I still don't recommend them for anything except backup battery purposes.

You'll hear true stories on Nikonians and elsewhere from photographers who've obtained excellent results from third-party batteries. There are a far greater number of photographers with serious complaints about third-party batteries. I think that until such time as Varta, Hahnel and Energizer improve batch-to-batch consistency and overall quality even more, it's probably best not to rely on third-party DSLR batteries and primaries. There are Canon and Nikon DSLR owners out there who've been using third-party batteries for years, but who also think that their battery duty cycle consisting of just a few hundred shots is normal (the real OEM battery duty cycle is something like triple that number).

With Nikon now using the EN-EL15 in several bodies, it's likely there's enough volume out there for the third-party makers to produce a replacement at a lower price point that is truly a consistently high-capacity, long duty cycle bargain. If I'm right, we'll see improved third-party batts before the end of 2012.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

spootdad

Portage, US
730 posts

#9. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

spootdad Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Wed 25-Jul-12 09:01 PM

Very glad it worked out for you. I wasn't sure what the resolution would be when I began reading.

About your comment
"Now, I am probably one of the most mechanically inclined people on the plant ..."

I am at the polar opposite when it comes to being handy. I will take your advice deeply to heart.
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5046 posts

#10. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 7

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Wed 25-Jul-12 11:40 PM

I bought the MB-D12 for $415 from Amazon. One of the things I was concerned about with an aftermarket grip was frying my $3000 camera and having to fork over more than the difference in price to get it repaired and oh by the way, voiding the warranty. Yes the MB-D12 is way overpriced, especially when compared to the MB-D10 for the D300 and D700, but I just swore and bit the bullet. After reading this thread I feel a bit better about it.

John

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#11. "Strange!!!!!!!!!!" | In response to Reply # 1

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 21-Aug-12 08:30 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 06:53 AM by briantilley

On the genuine grip the door is wide as a grip itself. Can't get any wider than that. So your L plate will not work. Are you sure you ordered the right L-plate? They have 2 of them you know. One for the camera without grip and one with.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#12. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 21-Aug-12 08:38 PM | edited Tue 21-Aug-12 08:40 PM by InsaneO

Out of curiosity I took apart my genuine grip to see how it is made.
Disclaimer: I used to be a toolmaker/designer for over 28 years so I am very handy with tools.
Anyway, the wheel has a small gear in the center which is attached with another gear and that gear is attached to the third gear on the screw.
Obviously the wheel is very large and final gear is very small so there is a lot of torque.
I would suggest not to tighten grip too much. Just snug enough to hold.
I wouldn't be surprised that OP overtightened to begin with and that is why it stripped.

On the different note: There is no seal inside of any kind. The genuine grip is not weather sealed!!!! What the hell are we paying all the money for it?

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#13. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 10

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Tue 21-Aug-12 08:52 PM

>I bought the MB-D12 for $415 from Amazon. One of the things I
>was concerned about with an aftermarket grip was frying my
>$3000 camera and having to fork over more than the difference
>in price to get it repaired and oh by the way, voiding the
>warranty.
>John

Just curious on how can Nikon determine if the electrical damage was caused by a 3rd party battery grip if the camera body is still within warranty period?

Regards,

Glenn

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5046 posts

#14. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 13

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Tue 21-Aug-12 10:58 PM

>Just curious on how can Nikon determine if the electrical
>damage was caused by a 3rd party battery grip if the camera
>body is still within warranty period?
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Glenn

Well let's say you send your fried D800 to Nikon for a warranty repair. Nikon is going to want to know how this happened in case it's a generic problem. They inspect the damage and try to figure out what caused it and surmise that the connection to the grip was part of the damaged circuitry. They then could deny warranty repair unless they hear some reasonable explanation of how this happened. Was the MB-D12 used on this camera? etc. Admittedly I know nothing of the internal circuitry of the D800 but I would assume Nikon would try to diagnose the problem an could determine that the grip connection was at least part of the problem.

I could be mistaken but to me it's not worth the risk.

John

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#15. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 22-Aug-12 01:34 AM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 01:37 AM by InsaneO

>>Just curious on how can Nikon determine if the
>electrical
>>damage was caused by a 3rd party battery grip if the
>camera
>>body is still within warranty period?
>>
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Glenn
>
>Well let's say you send your fried D800 to Nikon for a
>warranty repair. Nikon is going to want to know how this
>happened in case it's a generic problem. They inspect the
>damage and try to figure out what caused it and surmise that
>the connection to the grip was part of the damaged circuitry.
>They then could deny warranty repair unless they hear some
>reasonable explanation of how this happened. Was the MB-D12
>used on this camera? etc. Admittedly I know nothing of the
>internal circuitry of the D800 but I would assume Nikon would
>try to diagnose the problem an could determine that the grip
>connection was at least part of the problem.
>
>I could be mistaken but to me it's not worth the risk.
>
>John
>

I have witnessed this myself.
I was in El Segundo location and one guy brought in his fried camera.
Suddenly these two huge dudes come out and within seconds tie this guy to a chair. One dude took electric cord, stripped it and shocked this poor fella until he confessed that he used aftermarket grip.
It was very painful to watch. That day I ordered OEM grip for my D800e.

FL_Investor

US
31 posts

#16. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 12

FL_Investor Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Wed 22-Aug-12 03:59 AM

what a story, glad you were able to take it off without damaging the camera

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#17. "RE: Strange!!!!!!!!!!" | In response to Reply # 11

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 22-Aug-12 06:56 AM

RRS (and similar) L-brackets are designed to fit closely the profile of the camera or a genuine Nikon grip. Third-party grips may well have a slightly different profile.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#18. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Wed 22-Aug-12 04:16 PM

After 3 years of use the mineke grip for my D90 also was stuck due to my trying to keep it tightly attached to my camera. I tended to crank it to stop any wobble. It was getting harder and harder to turn that plastic ring to remove it. One day it would not budge, so I made it. ;- ) All i did was break the connection between the plastic ring and the metal piece so it was just spinning.

Like you I took some tools and began to pry it open. Sucessfully removed it with no damage to my D90.

I think that the 3 years use for considerably less than the price of the D90 grip (at release) was worth the little aggrivation (maybe 20 minutes) of prying it off.

I cannot justify the $400 price of the Nikon grip, even though I managed to justify the D800E last week. The $400 grip went south when I spend $300 more on the camera. LOL

true_superfly

US
116 posts

#19. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 15

true_superfly Registered since 27th Mar 2012
Wed 22-Aug-12 08:08 PM

Yeah, I know those 2 huge dudes.

One used to be Dick Cheney's staff. The other one used to work for the CIA.

This is part of Nikon's new profit-revamping corporate strategy.

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#20. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Thu 23-Aug-12 03:38 PM

That is scary! In the reliability world it's what we call a single point failure. I've got a Meike grip, but I doubt I'll ever put it on again! Thanks for this report.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

supergimp

Los Angeles, US
89 posts

#21. "RE: Strange!!!!!!!!!!" | In response to Reply # 17

supergimp Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2008
Thu 23-Aug-12 07:27 PM

>RRS (and similar) L-brackets are designed to fit closely the
>profile of the camera or a genuine Nikon grip. Third-party
>grips may well have a slightly different profile.

In fact, I have the Nikon grip and RRS L-Plate and was extremely impressed (as usual with RRS) with the fit/contour between the two. (There's another thread around here about various L-Plates, including an inexpensive one - again, you seem to get what you pay for).

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#22. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Thu 23-Aug-12 10:31 PM

I'm sorry for your experience.
Glad your camera is not damaged. Since the grip is defective, I would ask for a full refund and if they say no, fight them thru your cc company.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

martinq

South Guildford, AU
29 posts

#23. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

martinq Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010
Fri 24-Aug-12 07:16 AM

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the post. After reading it I bought the genuine Nikon grip yesterday when I picked up my new D800E, was not going to risk the investment, even at the inflated price!

Martin
Perth

Benkoop

Amsterdam, NL
122 posts

#24. "RE: After Market Grip for D800 gone bad......... A Heads up!" | In response to Reply # 0

Benkoop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2009
Fri 24-Aug-12 12:44 PM

Hi Scot,
I read your post the day after I received the Pixel Battery Pack Grip. Allthough the grip looked good and fitted well, I felt uncomfortable with the feel of the wheel attaching the grip to the camera: it felt a lot less solid in comparison to my MB-10, as if it could break if I would give a little more pressure. Your post convinced me to send it back, I just didn't want to have this uncomfortable feeling every time I attach the grip to the camera. The camera and the lenses I use with it costed a lot of money - and I want nothing attached to it that doesn't feel totally trustworthy.
So I have been using the original grip since and I am happy I did.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Wim

G