Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?

Kyle O

Philadelphia, US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kyle O Registered since 07th Jan 2013
Mon 07-Jan-13 05:16 AM | edited Mon 07-Jan-13 05:25 AM by Kyle O

Okay ... so I'm a little late to the party on this.

As far as purchasing a D800 is there still a chance you can get one with the Left focus point out of whack? Or did Nikon finally resolve the production problem and anybody who has purchased one within the past 2 months hasn't had a problem. I'm giving serious consideration to getting one and would of coarse hope this to be the case.

My apologies in advance if this has already been verified (as in problem solved) but I didn't see anything mentioning that might be the case in my search of older forum posts.

Thanks for the input ...
Kyle

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#1. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 07-Jan-13 10:37 PM

I see nobody is jumping on an answer, probably because it is not possible to say for sure. My feeling is we are well past this defect now. I bought mine in October and it's fine. Just buy from a place with a decent return policy. In my case I like my local bricks and mortar, and I had them test out my body for me, but your situation may be different.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Kyle O

Philadelphia, US
7 posts

#2. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 07-Jan-13 11:37 PM | edited Mon 07-Jan-13 11:39 PM by Kyle O

Thank you much Steve

I was beginning to think everybody is just completely worn out from this fiasco (which I'm sure they are) or that I was a complete idiot for asking (which I may well be .. LOL). But still, when you plan to possibly drop 3K+ on a piece of equipment that totally intrigues me, much less one that I can't remember as much time researching as I have, you would like a few "real world" assurances ... if possible!

My feelings precisely on the brick and mortar. While I do tend to mail order quite a bit I think in this case it would be wise to deal with a shop that I've had a good relationship intermittently through the years and have them test it beforehand. Now it's whether it comes down to 800 or 800e ... HA!

Once again, thank you for relieving some of my hesitation.

Kyle

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#3. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 2

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Tue 08-Jan-13 05:46 AM | edited Tue 08-Jan-13 05:48 AM by johno

Fixing it is still hit and miss. As long as you can return it, you've nothing to lose.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Kyle O

Philadelphia, US
7 posts

#4. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 08-Jan-13 05:52 AM

>Fixing it is still hit and miss. As long as you can return
>it, you've nothing to lose.

Johno,

How long have you had yours?

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#5. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 4

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Tue 08-Jan-13 06:14 AM

Mine was from the first batch shipped to a local brick and mortar retailer. By the time I realized what was going on it was too late.

Kyle O

Philadelphia, US
7 posts

#6. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 08-Jan-13 06:52 AM

>I see nobody is jumping on an answer, probably because it is
>not possible to say for sure. My feeling is we are well past
>this defect now. I bought mine in October and it's fine.
>
>Best regards, SteveK

Hey Steve,
Just Curious. Do you have the 800 or 800E ? I'm assuming the enjoyable images in your gallery from Oct2012 forward are from the new camera.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#7. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 08-Jan-13 11:07 AM

Hi Kyle,

Yes images from October onwards are from my D800E, but also may be from my D4 which I got back in April

Good luck in you efforts, it really is a great camera!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Kyle O

Philadelphia, US
7 posts

#8. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 08-Jan-13 02:55 PM

>Yes images from October onwards are from my D800E, but also
>may be from my D4 which I got back in April
>
>Good luck in you efforts, it really is a great camera!
>

Ah yes ... I'm referring to the Crows Nest gallery images primarily. IN particular the Piitaistakis imagery with the stunning detail in the shadow area. Should I assume the bird shots are
w/D4 ?

Does the Moire issue ever pop up for you with the 800E ? I'm a detail freak so I'm probably heading towards the "E" Guess I'm going to have to keep my 300 around for portraits though which actually it does a great job with.

Thanks for the input

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#9. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 7

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 08-Jan-13 11:46 PM

I realize they are different cameras Steve, but how are you liking the D800 compared to your D4?

If you had it to do over again, would you get both?

Thanks.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#10. "RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 09-Jan-13 12:57 AM

Hi Guys,

The Crows Nest gallery images are D800E but a lot of them are some HDR I did right out of the gate with my new baby, thus the shadow detail. The birds are a mix, with preponderance from October being D800E and no moire that I have noticed yet in any situation, birding or otherwise. The birding ones you can definitely use "Show EXIF Info" to see which camera shot it.

On my todo list is to learn how to recover shadow detail from a single D800 shot like I see guys doing (thus precluding need for HDR, or at least less often).

I have a strange mix of things I shoot (theatre and birding) which tend to favour D4 for the specializations but then D800E as my general camera for everything else. I haven't owned a full-sized body like the D4 before, so am not fully qualified to compare, but I have the subjective feeling that the D4 I just wave vaguely at my subject and wham-wham-wham image captured, whereas D800E I am trying to put more thought into it.

The D4 I planned and plotted for years to get (saving, selling other gear, and waiting for a D700S that never came out) whereas the D800E was a bit of a happy circumstance where I could sell my D700 and grip and use money from a pile of unanticipated overtime I worked this past fall and was lucky to get it. So I count my blessings I have two great cameras to use. Am really happy with both cameras. For a while after I got my D800E I was worried the D4 was not going to get any use ever again, but I've gotten back into a routine with the D4 now that the D800E honeymoon period is over and both cameras are getting a share. And both cameras are getting video use too, experimenting there but I honestly don't have the necessary time it takes for video PP. In light of all this my poor trusty D7000 is languishing though

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G