Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why would this happen?

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sun 10-Jun-12 03:13 PM

My D800 is set to shoot in RAW only and most of my settings are not unusual. But... Something strange happened this past week while in St. Petersburg, RU, which has nothing to do with the location.

I am using Nikon Transfer, ViewNX and NX2. Normally, the size of my photos is 40-44 MB. When I open them in NX2 I can adjust the slide for the exposure compensation. Suddenly, for no reason I can figure out, this function is inactive.

Second, when I save to a jpg, as "Good Balance" the initial file size is 1.5 to 3MB depending on the photo. Suddenly, when I do the same, the file size is only 15-300KBs, and when I enlarge to 100% it is totally pixelated.

It is not a computer software problem because it did the same thing both on my laptop and my desktop when I got home. I shot some test shots at home and it did the same thing. I searched through the settings on the camera and could not find anything that I might have accidentally changed.

Giving up, I reset, rebooted the camera and it went back to normal.

What would have caused this? Any suggestions

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31595 posts

#1. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 10-Jun-12 08:48 PM

Hi Larry,

Do you have the latest versions of Nikon Transfer, View NX2, and Capture NX2 installed on your computer?
There are some known issues with Transfer 1.5.3 including changing the size of the image file, that you can find in the pinned thread at the top of the D800 page.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#2. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 10-Jun-12 10:20 PM

Marty,

It can't be Nikon Transfer because that had been working fine. And, after I rebooted the camera, everything worked fine again. So the problem is some setting in the camera that I must have accidentally altered. I just can't figure out what.

DF/D810

tcuneo

San Jose,, US
12 posts

#3. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 2

tcuneo Registered since 13th May 2012
Mon 11-Jun-12 12:19 AM

Do you have the latest camera OS? Go to Nikon site for most current download.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#4. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 11-Jun-12 05:25 AM | edited Mon 11-Jun-12 05:38 AM by km6xz

Strange things always happen here in St Petersburg!
Usually good things however....

The symptoms would be expected if the camera was set to JPG Small, the exposure comp would be disabled, file size smaller.
Is there a possibility that you where shooting on vertical orientation and hold your camera with your left hand resting on the mode quadrant on the top left? The Quality button could have been pressed inadvertently and the rear command wheel moved. Or, reaching for the ISO button and going too far and hitting the Quality button?
I would wager that the camera is fine and there is a simple but unfortunate result.

How long were you here in St Petersburg? I hope the weather was giving you a break, it has been cool and overcast many days but yesterday was gorgeous and today is even better. I took a walk in the countryside yesterday south of the city and shot a few. Below that is one taken in the evening as a quick snap shot while walking with a friend in the city center. So we DO have blue sky occasionally, regardless of what some locals say.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#5. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 11-Jun-12 09:02 AM | edited Mon 11-Jun-12 09:13 AM by LMMiller9

Stan,

I was there for one week. I only had one day to sight see and my client toured me around. Most of the time was spent in a training room at the Russian Railroad offices.

The thing about JPG size is that I only shoot in RAW, always. The photos are normal size in RAW. The strangness begins when I see that I can't adjust contrast. Then when I save them in raw the are very small, even when I save in "Excellent Quality."

Well, I suppose it is just one of those weird things that happens and you can't find the explanation for. The problem is gone after the reboot.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

DF/D810

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#6. "RE: Why would this happen?" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 11-Jun-12 11:13 AM

I had something similar happen recently with my D800. I was setting up a shooting bank for "waiter mode" and did not realize some of the related settings. The default for the new shooting bank was JPEG but I don't recall the size. My guess is you had a similar cause of the problem.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G