Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 08-May-12 12:55 PM | edited Tue 08-May-12 12:55 PM by klrbee25

Given the increasing reports of D800 owners receiving cameras that have autofocus problems, I'd like to get a sense of just how widespread the issue is (at least amongst our population of users). The issue, as you're probably well aware, is AF points in the viewfinder to the left of center lock focus when out of focus. Essentially, autofocus using the left-side AF points is inaccurate leading to out-of-focus images.

Nikon now claims 'a run' of cameras are affected, but it's unclear how many this may include.

It may also be helpful if you include your camera's serial number with your posted response to help users narrow the range of affected cameras.

Poll result (123 votes)
Yes
(50 votes)
No
(73 votes)

tombruno123

US
10 posts

#1. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

tombruno123 Registered since 29th Apr 2007
Tue 08-May-12 05:46 PM

Focus is working fine so far. In fact, no malfunctions at all so far.

All joy to date.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#2. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 08-May-12 06:10 PM

I voted no for my D800e. It is SN 300007xx

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#3. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

akers Registered since 10th Aug 2004
Tue 08-May-12 11:54 PM

No problems to date. I have not used my 14-24 however. The 24-70 and 70-200 VR II are great. The Sigma 150-500 does not make me giggle at 500mm. I haven't had as much time as I would like to explore the new boundaries.

D800 serial number 30076xx.

Chuck

D800, D3s, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VRI and VRIIx2, 80-400 VR, Sigma 150-500.

chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

#4. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Tue 08-May-12 11:59 PM

I've not tried any tripod tests of the left side AF points, but I did a few hand held shots using many of the left side points and did not see any focus problems.

D800 30043XX

Visit my web site.

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#5. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

rhulbert Team Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter Member
Wed 09-May-12 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, I discovered that my D800E does, in fact, exhibit a severe out of focus result with the left AF points. I didn't notice it at first, but I was rather puzzled with some out of focus shots. After getting emails from my Nikonian buddies, I specifically checked and sadly, my camera has now been shipped back to Nikon in Toronto for a hoped for recalibration.

While I am disappointed, I must say that I agree with those that say the camera is a "game changer" ... especially in concert with Adobe's latest Camera Raw software. The effective dynamic range is hard to believe and I find the camera a joy to use.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
https://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#6. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 09-May-12 04:44 PM

I apologise for giving you a wrong answer. Change me to the yes group. After thinking about it, I went out in the yard and took center and left focus point photos using the 70-200 VR II at 70mm, 24-70 at 24mm, and 14-24 at 14mm. It was all down and dirty, hand held, iso 100, at 2.8. The 70-200 and 24-70 at about 10 feet, the 14-24 at about 4 feet. I was shooting a section of old fence for the grain in the wood. I compared each pair of photos and found I do have a problem. The 70-200 has no noticeable focus problem on the computer monitor at 100%. I get slightly out of focus shots with the 24-70 and bad out of focus with the 14-24 when using the left side focus point.

Big disappointment. The question is, do I send it back to Nikon now and beat the rush or wait a bit until they have time to figure it out and come up with a permanent fix?

Chuck

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#7. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 09-May-12 05:07 PM

I just got off the phone with Nikon USA. They want me to send them sample photos before they will do anything.

Chuck

yunjo

Portland, US
75 posts

#8. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 2

yunjo Registered since 06th Jul 2008
Wed 09-May-12 07:40 PM

>I voted no for my D800e. It is SN 300007xx
>

My D800E with SN 30008xx has slight L sided out of focus issue. Tested with my 24-70 at f/2.8 on tripod.

jetrated

Curacao, AN
35 posts

#9. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

jetrated Registered since 26th Mar 2012
Wed 09-May-12 08:14 PM

No focus problems with mine. So happy I have not had any problem worth mentioning with the D800. Where I live there is no Nikon service so whenever I buy a brand new product I am pretty much hoping for the best. Sending my camera overseas for half a year would not make me happy. (Credit to Nikon, I don't think I would have had the guts to be a early buyer with an other camera brand.)

<a href="https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=437202">My Nikonians gallery</a>

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#10. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 9

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Wed 09-May-12 08:34 PM

My most common focus picture is of a brick wall. Mines Fine.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/mikesrc/_DSC0856.jpg

Go to my gallery for a better look

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#11. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 6

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 10-May-12 12:59 AM

>I get slightly out of focus shots with the
>24-70 and bad out of focus with the 14-24 when using the left
>side focus point.

I've been doing the same experimentation with those same two lenses, and what I've found is if I shoot a LOT of shots, I get more shots with poor focus on the left. But I also get most shots dead on.

Did you shoot only one of each, or a couple? Shoot a bunch. Start with it very out of focus each time. And check if you have focus priority set to Focus instead of Release or Release+focus.

I don't propose there is no problem, but what I'm seeing is more a decrease in consistency than a consistent out of focus.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#12. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

RidgesPhoto Registered since 10th May 2012
Thu 10-May-12 06:43 AM

I got my D800 last week and my LensAlign confirms that the left side sensors back focus (not that I needed the LensAlign as the problem is obvious). My serial is 3006654. I'm going to send it to Nikon for some TLC.

I also noticed that it is off with all lenses -not just fast wide angles. It's just that the degree of error varies so it's less obvious with some lenses.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#13. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 10-May-12 07:12 AM | edited Thu 10-May-12 07:52 PM by klrbee25

Mine is a touch soft on the left side. I probably would never have noticed if I didn't read about the issue online though. 30072XX

Since returning it and getting another is out of the question since it'll be a 3+ month wait and the next one may have the same issue, I've called Nikon USA. As above, they requested sample images that I'm working on sending them.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

kiu

Pleasanton, US
73 posts

#14. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

kiu Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 10-May-12 03:29 PM

No left AF point focus issue here. I tested with 24g @1.4 at minimum focus distance. SN#3004XXX

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#15. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 7

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 10-May-12 04:39 PM

Chuck, are you in Roseville California? If so, take to the authorized warranty station on 28th street in Sacramento: California Precision Service. They have a good rep with Nikon owners and are pretty fast.
Their phone number is 916-451-1330
Ask them if they have the new revised focus calibration procedures for the D800.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#16. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 10-May-12 05:27 PM

Stan, thank you very much. The Nikon tech support guy was not very helpful. I have done business with CPS before but mainly for cleaning. I will give them a call. I didn't realize they could do the calibration.

Chuck

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#17. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 10-May-12 05:34 PM

Stan, I just called CPS. They are aware of the problem but Nikon has not "officially notified" them or sent them the calibration materials/software. They were very sympathetic but there is nothing they can do.

I haven't heard back from Nikon on the two samples I sent them either. Of course it has only been one business day.

Chuck

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#18. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 10-May-12 07:52 PM

Keep us posted on what you hear. I'll do the same if they get back to me about my samples.

-Alex Rosen

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#19. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Thu 10-May-12 10:47 PM

Camera arrived today and shows no sign of any left side focus problems. I didn't take any wide angle shots but I did put the 24 1.4 on and did a focus check through the viewfinder and everything looked fine. I suppose I could have taken shots at 24 and pixel peeped, but why put a damper on a great day.
SN 30102xx

Brian

csjones4

Rockville, US
23 posts

#20. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

csjones4 Registered since 04th Jun 2010
Thu 10-May-12 11:29 PM

Unfortunately, I too have the Auto Focus issue with the left focus points, serial number 30006xx. I performed my test shots using a 24-70mm lens @24mm f2.8 from a distance of 1-2 yards. Live View is fine – Left AF points are severely back focusing. Can recreate very easily hand-held as well as on a tripod.

I have not done a lot of shooting with the D800 yet, but going from a D200 I’m blown away by the dynamic range of the color and the detail, all I can say is WOW! I’ve shot a few lacrosse games and as with my previous camera I’ve had hit or miss issues with the focus. I’m hoping once I get the focus system calibrated by Nikon the number of keepers will rise.

Looking at Nikon’s website it does not look like there are any Authorized Repair Stations near the DC area so I will need to mail my camera away. I’ve tagged the Auto Focus topics and am anxiously awaiting news of service centers being geared up to handle the issue. I’ve never had to send a camera to Nikon, I assume the shipping TO them is on me, and the return shipping is on them.

I appreciate the efforts of all the Nikonian’s in documenting the issue and helping me along. I’ve been mostly a lurker on and off for years and the information I’ve gleaned for everyone’s posts has made me a better photographer.

Regards,

CJ

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#21. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 11-May-12 04:11 AM

I wanted to add some info under which conditions this issue mostly appears:

- Wide Angle to short telephoto lens (I saw it with 14-24, 24-70, 24, 35, 85mm lenses and 70-200 at 70mm, but not with 105, 135, 70-200 at 200mm lenses etc)

- Fast apertures (f/2.8 or faster). With slower lenses, the DOF will often cover the misfocus

- Subject distances longer than 10ft. I don't know why this is, but I saw the issue mostly with longer distances.

- Left-most focus point. Other points may be affected but to a lesser degree.

The issue can also be seen when only some of these conditions are met, but it is most obvious when all 4 are met. I have seen the same issue with 3 bodies so far (all D800).

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#22. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 19

Fri 11-May-12 11:53 AM

Did some controlled tests following Tom's criterion with the 24 1.4 and sad to say my D800 does has left side focus issues. Now deciding whether to send back to the merchant or hold on and send to Nikon later.

Brian

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#23. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 21

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 11-May-12 12:22 PM

>I wanted to add some info under which conditions this issue
>mostly appears:
>
>- Wide Angle to short telephoto lens (I saw it with 14-24,
>24-70, 24, 35, 85mm lenses and 70-200 at 70mm, but not with
>105, 135, 70-200 at 200mm lenses etc)
>
>- Fast apertures (f/2.8 or faster). With slower lenses, the
>DOF will often cover the misfocus
>
>- Subject distances longer than 10ft. I don't know why this
>is, but I saw the issue mostly with longer distances.
>
>- Left-most focus point. Other points may be affected but to a
>lesser degree.
>
>The issue can also be seen when only some of these conditions
>are met, but it is most obvious when all 4 are met. I have
>seen the same issue with 3 bodies so far (all D800).

Just curious, have you tried a quick test matching the 4 criteria with your D700?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#24. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 22

Fri 11-May-12 01:12 PM

Keep it! Why wait months for another camera? It's a minor issue and sending it to Nikon only costs you ~$50 and a week or two without it. I'm holding onto mine and waiting while Nikon reviews my images. After a big event in June, I'm going to send her in. She'll be perfect in no time. This really isn't a huge issue unless you focus track using these other focus points. Otherwise, I focus with the central point and recompose...problem solved.

-Alex Rosen

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#25. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 23

Fri 11-May-12 01:23 PM

>Just curious, have you tried a quick test matching the 4
>criteria with your D700?
>

Sure, that was the first thing after I encountered the issue. The D700 focuses fine under these conditions.

Also, here is another update: The dealer where I returned one of the cameras had it tested by a Nikon tech, got this email:

...reason is because our Nikon Rep and a certified Nikon Tech is going to be here to talk to me and the product manager…since they will be here and your camera came just intime they want to try and recreate the defect..to make sure it is defective… Not that we don’t believe you...

Then the next day I got this email:

Thank you, for the input on the focusing point I showed it to them and your right.. its being delivered back to nikon and the Rep and the Tech is keeping your info to watch for anymore…

So Nikon is becoming aware of the issue. I hope they will get it fixed soon in the production line.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

dankeny

Roland, US
1555 posts

#26. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 23

dankeny Registered since 29th May 2006
Fri 11-May-12 01:42 PM | edited Fri 11-May-12 01:55 PM by dankeny

Steve,

I tested my D700 (Remembering the Banding issue when pretty much an sensor will show some banding under extreme conditions). My D700 no better than my second D800 which I consider to have a slight focus error in extreme left focus point pretty much under the conditions Tom outlined. Tested it at 12 feet with the 24 1.4 at 1.4. Using the left most focus point, the image was not as well focused as the same image if I lock focus with the center point and recompose to frame the target in the same place in the frame. But then, neither was my D700. It's hard to say which is worse because there are so many more pixels on the same size image with the D800. Of course, I was shooting with a tripod and at a shutter speed high enough that I would normally handhold.

My feeling (not as strong as a conclusion because I don't have inclination to do more rigerous testing) is that my second D800 is withing acceptable limits. I probably would never have suspected it was slightly off if I had not first used one from the bad run.

Edited to add: My testing was not rigerous enough to see the problem with the 85 1.4. In other words, if there is a focus error it is so small I don't care.

I comment on Tom's excellent analysis of the left focus point issue: With exception of it being primarily wide angle the conditions under which it occurs are simply narrow DOF.

My first D800 was so far out that you could see it by chimping the image. Still, it took me several days to realize something was wrong. I don't shoot narrow DOF with wide lenses very often. I did realize I was missing a larger number of shots than usual and was wondering at my fundumentals. I actually started to consider there was some substance to all the hyperbola about needing a tripod for every shot.

David

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#27. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 24

Fri 11-May-12 01:51 PM | edited Fri 11-May-12 01:52 PM by stappy

That's the way I am leaning. It has no consequence for macro since I'll be at least 105mm, probably manual or Live View and small aperture. Just wish Nikon would put out some type of statement. Given Tom's post below (#25), the situation is still unfolding.

Brian

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#28. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 25

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 11-May-12 01:55 PM

According to a couple reports, Nikon Japan has established a revised calibration procedure for repair shops. It appears that either the alignment jigs or software used in alignment, procedures in alignment or a combination of these elements is being blamed. That would make sense since a number of people have reported their d800's were able to meet spec after re-calibration.
I doubt there is a design or mechanical problem involved but it means those with the problem are going to have to send or take their camera to an authorized service center for the adjustment. Firmware is not likely to have any impact on the problem.
I pick up mine day after tomorrow and will test it immediately because I am leaving the country for 4 months 2 days later. I would be able to live with it however is it only pertains to far left side FPs.
A few people sent their cameras earlier might have gotten a repeat of the calibration procedure that was the same as what caused the misalignment at the factory in the first place
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#29. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 27

Fri 11-May-12 04:03 PM

Unless it's a software/firmware fixable item, I doubt they'll say anything and just quietly fix the production line for future copies. The last thing Nikon wants is 1000s of early D800 getting sent in because they acknowledge the problem. I'd guess Nikon would rather deal with the people who notice and hope the rest never figure out there is an issue.

When I called Nikon USA, I got the Coolpix line by accident first. I said I had an AF issue with my D800 and asked it was a known issue. The woman said "yes it is, but this is the Coolpix line." Then I called the DSLR line and asked the same question and the woman there claimed that they haven't heard of any such issues. Either the first woman let the cat out of the bag or the second one didn't know anything.

-Alex Rosen

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#30. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 26

Fri 11-May-12 04:13 PM

OK thanks guys. It sounds real then. I will plan to test my D4, but I hadn't detected any problems in real life usage. However, for whatever reason I have done a ton of right-side AF point shooting but very little left-side and pretty much all my shooting so far has been telephoto too.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#31. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 11-May-12 04:33 PM

Deja vu all over again. This reminds me of the issue with the 70-200 VR II and what looked like metal filings inside. One of mine had it, one did not. It took Nikon a while to issue a formal statement. They tap danced for a bit but finally took mine in for repair. I believe this is taking longer though.

Chuck

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#32. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 11-May-12 07:44 PM

Hi Chuck
I just got back from picking up my D90 for AF calibration. The camera looked like new and all I have tested on the D7000 is back to the way it was, very good.
I asked them about the status of the calibration, whether there was a service notice about the D800 calibration procedure. I was told they could not do it until their techs got training on at Nikon. He said there was no firm date when they would get the certification but they will have it. This is the same procedure for all new bodies.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ExtremePic

FI
26 posts

#33. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 31

ExtremePic Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Fri 11-May-12 07:53 PM

Mine seems to have the issue.
I took a photo of a wooden wall and the center and right side were sharp but the left side clearly not.

When I contacted the Niskon support in Finland and sent them the photo, they did not accept the issue because the lense was the Sigma 24-70 and not a Nikkor. They would only accept photos with Nikkor lenses. So I had to change the Sigma for a 2x more expensive Nikkor, which works better.

After much practice and trying different settings, I still get most photos out of focus even at high speeds and with a tripod.
Still they don´t want to do anything about the problem. I sent them links to forums posts and their view is that forums exaggerate and are not reliable.

They don´t belive me because I am the only person in Finland who has reported a problem with the D800. That is a silly reason for not believing and expecting more complaints: as far I my D800 is the first and only delivered to Finland. How could there be more complaints???!!!
And then they closed my ticked...

So I have to wait till Nikon admits the issue and communicates the solution and as long carry 2 bodies and if I don´t get a sharp shot with the D800 then shoot it again with the D200 =(

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#34. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 17

Fri 11-May-12 08:49 PM

Nikom is probably hearing a lot of phones ringing about now. CPS, as I mentioned above, can't do them until they send a tech to Nikon for training or arrange for a Nikon trainer to come to Sacramento.
That makes sense.
I am going to get mine early Sunday and will check it out but will assume it has a problem so I will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. I can get by without the outer left FP, so will wait until I am back in the country in September to have it adjusted. If it does or doesn't have the misalignment, I will still be happy getting it. It is not as if my income depended on having good focus accuracy on the left outside FP
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#35. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 34

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 12-May-12 12:53 PM | edited Sat 12-May-12 12:59 PM by RRRoger

Quote>> It is not as if my income depended on having good focus accuracy on the left outside FP
>Stan<Quote<<<

Did you say left "OutSide" focal point?
That is OutSide my usual range, but it works anyway.

You should check your batteries before you return to St Petersburg.
Most of the bad ones came with D800s.
I heard that Best Buys will exchange over the counter.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#36. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 35

Sat 12-May-12 01:24 PM

Hi Roger,
I guess I could have been more specific, about it not being left out of doors but "leftmost FP". From most of the reports, the furthest to the left side focal point is the main one impacted by the improper calibration at the factory. On the FX distribution pattern, it would be used more than on a DX pattern because the FX pattern is clustered together in a tighter group in the center of the frame.

Yes, the battery notice, we all got due to having registered a camera that uses that model battery, was copied and and saved as a pdf to make sure the one supplied with the D800 is not of the same lot number. I keep a couple spare batteries for the D7000 so I am covered in case the store can't exchange it right away. I leave on Tuesday morning for Scotland so there would be no time for the Nikon exchange program.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#37. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 33

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Sat 12-May-12 01:42 PM

>So I have to wait till Nikon admits the issue and communicates
>the solution and as long carry 2 bodies and if I don´t get a
>sharp shot with the D800 then shoot it again with the D200 =(

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your local Nikon support office. I don't know who the repair facility is for Finland, but if it's a pan-European one, they probably have the new calibration solution in place by now. It may be worth pressing them with more calls and test results (perhaps use a 50mm 1.8 wide open). I suspect that if you persist they will relent.

However, if you have the time to re-take a shot, I think you have the time to either manually focus or use the live view screen zoomed in to focus. My understanding is that the problem affects only the phase detect autofocus module and so live view will produce better results.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#38. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 13-May-12 09:52 AM | edited Sun 13-May-12 11:06 AM by klrbee25

If you guys are having softness issues on the left side (and even if you're not), I strongly suggest you try Topaz InFocus. It's available as a free-trial and does deconvolution. In the Generic and Estimate Blur settings, I've found it makes the out-of-focus issue disappear (and I mean, razor sharp). If you bump up the Reduce Artifacts to max, it does a darn good job. Definitely a program to buy once you've sampled it.

While I'd still rather have mine adjusted, I don't have to worry about lost photos. Seriously, try the program.

Examples below. You can either apply to the entire image or create a mask in PS and just apply to your focus point area.

-Alex Rosen

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#39. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 33

Sun 13-May-12 10:56 AM

Does your camera focus well using the central or right side FPs? How much of your work depends on the far left focal point?
Don't bother referring them to forums, most are not very trustworthy posts so they have learned the hard way to ignore claims and go by evidence. Set your camera on a tripod and use good technique to reduce the number of variables(mirror up, VR off, remote trigger etc) and take a reference shot in Live View and a series starting from one side of the FP array and take multiple shots using each FP. Send them a listing of test conditions and give meaningful names to each frame and send the array of images and explanation.
It is better not to guess the cause, techs are inclined not to believe people as much if they make a claim about cause because history shows that they are usually wrong. Tell and show them your evidence and let them make a diagnosis. Some shops have gotten the correct information, such as the one in the Netherlands but most do not have any clue about the problem yet.
Good luck
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mkaplan

Kitchener, CA
94 posts

#40. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 38

mkaplan Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2012
Sun 13-May-12 02:07 PM | edited Sun 13-May-12 02:13 PM by mkaplan

I used the same screen target you can use to adjust the AF Fine Tune figuring if they are off I would see by how much and all 3 points are right on.
SN#5000xxx

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#41. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 12

Mon 14-May-12 03:17 AM

I called Nikon on Saturday about my focus problems. The woman I spoke to cut me off mid sentence saying she knew about the problem. She said she would send an email with instructions on how to submit pictures of the AF problem and that Nikon will evaluate them and we'll proceed from there. I sent them nine pictures. I guess we'll see what happens next.

nervesplice

Haywards Heath, UK
8 posts

#42. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

nervesplice Registered since 09th Apr 2007
Mon 14-May-12 08:08 AM

I purchased my D800 last week in the UK Serial number starts in the 601XXXX.

Contacted Nikon support who just said I had to send in test shots. The guy seemed like he knew what the issue was but didn't want to let on.

The first picture is at the left AF point, second middle and third right AF point. Taken with a 24mm at 1.4.

Have sent these to Nikon will let you know when I hear something back.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Bk777

MY
161 posts

#43. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 42

Bk777 Registered since 10th Feb 2012
Mon 14-May-12 08:38 AM

I did the same test like you. The centre AF give the shapest image, followed by right AF and then left AF. I did contact my local Nikon SC, they ask for test samples for checking and verification. Haven't not decided to send to my local Nikon SC until they have concrete solution to the issue. For the moment, the camera is still giving good result using centre AF.

Dooman51

Melbourne, AU
2 posts

#44. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 43

Dooman51 Registered since 14th May 2012
Mon 14-May-12 12:56 PM

Nikon Australia have decided that they will give me a new camera... I didn't ask for this. I am hoping my new one doesn't have the issues my current one has. But even clearly being one of the run of 'bad' ones its still a great camera, you just need to work a bit harder at it and be more precise. Kinda like shooting film The rewards are there for the taking.

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#45. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 44

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Mon 14-May-12 01:34 PM

You guys have worried me so much about this AF deal I decided to retest mine. Left focus perfect. Right focus perfect. Center focus perfect and that's with my 85mm 1.8G. Which I think is the sharpest lens I own right now.

skibud1

US
20 posts

#46. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

skibud1 Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Mon 14-May-12 02:16 PM

At this point, I'm curious why a serial number range has not emerged ? Would that not be easier for everyone (Nikon included) ? I'm still waiting for my D800 from adorama.

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#47. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 46

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Mon 14-May-12 03:19 PM

It is possible that this potentially affects all cameras, since it appears to be a calibration problem rather than a manufacturing defect. If every camera (up until Nikon realized that they needed to change something) was calibrated the same way and the procedure was generally acceptable but insufficient for some build tolerances, it is possible for tolerances to be such that most are good but many are not. So good vs. bad will not be related to S/N, date of manufacture or sales geography. It could just be luck.

Despite my vote 'no' above, it looks like I have a less extreme left point back focus problem than most, so I'm really a 'yes'. Because it doesn't affect shots where I need quick AF (wide, distant, short DoF and side-focus) I'm going to wait until later in summer to send my camera for calibration, so I'm not without it for a couple of upcoming events that I want to shoot. But I'll do more 'tests' this week.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

Steve H

Norwalk, US
20 posts

#48. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Steve H Registered since 10th Jun 2006
Mon 14-May-12 03:22 PM

After some testing - I'm not sure. What I see is certianly not as obvious as some examples I've seen.

The images were shot with AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED wide open at a distance of 1.5M (4'10.5") on D800 serial number 30100xx mounted on a tripod, mirror up with cable release.

The target was taped to a window.

The first image show the target with the L, Center & R focal points indicated.
The second image is a 100% crop of the Left focal point target when the camera focused on the left point.
The third image is a 100% crop of the Left focal point target when the camera focused on the center point.

There is some difference, not only in the text but also in the "Sharpie" outline of the target and the blue masking tape.

The right focus point seems as good as the Center.

I guess it qualifies as the "Left Focus Problem" ??

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#49. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 47

Mon 14-May-12 04:41 PM

Like you, I think all D800/e cameras achieve different focus using different sensors. The reason why some people don't have the issue is that while the left sensor back focuses, the error is masked by the DOF of their particular lens.

This won't be visible if you test using a paper target on a wall. You have to shoot a test target like the LensAlign with a sloped scale so you can see the range of DOF. Even though the 0 may be in focus, it could be at the very front of the DOF range. With other sensors, the 0 may be in the middle or back of the DOF. The flaw is that they are all different. When you combine that with the particular tolerances of individual lens, you may end up with combinations that result in OOF images.

I tested all of my lens with my LensAlign. I calibrated the center sensor with AF tuning to be in the middle of the DOF range and then checked how the left and right sensors performed. All of my lens showed different focus depending on the sensor but only on certain ones (17-35 & 24-70) was the difference enough to fall outside of the DOF.

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#50. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 48

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 14-May-12 06:23 PM | edited Mon 14-May-12 06:36 PM by DAJolley

It is hard to tell from your test. A flat target is not a good test of AF accuracy when it comes to back or front focusing. Flat targets are for testing lens resolution among other things. In addition, there are lens specific distances which must be taken into consideration. Your 105 lens should be tested from a minimum distance of 8.2 feet and a maximum of 16.4 feet, these lens distances are available at the LensAlign website.This particular problem is most noticeable with wider angle lenses below 85mm shot wide open.
The attached picture is similar to what Nikon uses to test AF accuracy. It is described in the service and repair manual for the 24-70 f2.8 lens. The large target at the top is where the AF point is focused, the smaller targets are resolution charts spaced 45mm apart. It is the same basic idea as the LensAlign system, it just doesn't use a ruler to measure the degree of back or front focus. The target with vertical lines is used to test the center AF point and the one with the horizontal focus target is for testing the outer AF points.
Dave Jolley

Center AF test target

Outer AF test target

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#51. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 48

Mon 14-May-12 06:37 PM

I suggest you take a look at Tom's post (#21) for a good list of the criterion to reproduce the issue.
With my 84 1.4 it was noticiable only with the leftmost sensor. With my 50 1.4 it was pretty much inconlusive but with the 24 1.4 it was obvious on all left sensors and progressively worse towards the outside.
I would try your 14-24 or 24-70 @24 at a distance of around 15 feet.

Brian

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#52. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 51

Mon 14-May-12 09:30 PM | edited Mon 14-May-12 09:55 PM by KnightPhoto

Be careful about the 14-24, it is known to have focus shift (which is only a factor if you are NOT shooting wide-open) but I thought I had a source indicating field curvature too, but to be honest I can't find that source right now. I'll keep checking to see if I can re-find that source.

Therefore perhaps the 14-24 is not the best lens from which to form critical conclusions about your camera. Because of the possibility of field curvature, on any lens, it may be best to evaluate THIS AF-point-calibration problem by solely evaluating focus at the left point itself and not clouding the issue by looking over to the centre or right. When sharply focused on the left AF-point, a lens with inherent field curvature will naturally be softer over on the centre of the image and vice versa.

Perhaps someone who owns a 14-24 can provide guidance about that specific lens.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#53. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 48

Mon 14-May-12 10:01 PM

When looking at this one:
"The second image is a 100% crop of the Left focal point target when the camera focused on the left point." and comparing it to the last image (and assuming the macro has a flat image field which should be a safe bet for a macro lens).

To me this looks like you have a mild-case of the problem (at least with the 105mm). If it were me I'd want to perform the test a good number of times and perhaps with different targets to prove it. (and yes, by all means try Tom's protocol, especially since longer lenses such as 105 do not appear to be the epicentre of the problem).

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#54. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 30

Tue 15-May-12 01:03 AM

I am voting no (i.e. no problem) on my D4 after an admitedely all-too brief test using my 24-70 at 24mm and f/2.8. (BTW, the 24-70 does have a rep for field curvature at 24mm)

I will observe that in conducting my "test" which so far was just a quickie, I find myself also questioning whether lens sharpness at centre vs. as far out as the far left and right focus points must also be a part of one's evaluation. I.e. If a lens is naturally sharper in centre than over as far as the left-most point that could account for a small sharpness loss when comparing left to centre. I haven't done the CDAF test yet either, so to be most complete I'll need to fit that in too.

I'll do some further shooting, but for sure I don't have the severe problem I have seen on some peoples examples posted out on the net.

I have yet to see anyone refer to the 16-35 when detecting this problem? Of course it's an f4 lens so maybe that is enough DOF to mask any but a severe problem?

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Steve H

Norwalk, US
20 posts

#55. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Steve H Registered since 10th Jun 2006
Tue 15-May-12 06:43 PM

Thanks to all have given some good feedback!
For one, I got mislead on the correct distance and was too close.
I've got access to a Lens Align and will try it on several lenses.
I guess the trick will to be sure to maintain the target in the same plane parallel to the image plane when testing the various focus points.

Steve

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#56. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 15-May-12 07:19 PM

I'm really at a loss for understanding what's going on with my camera. I've certainly seen times where the left-most point is not nearly as sharp as the center. But today I went outside in good light, shot a bunch of photos using the left-most point and over 90% are sharp. I just don't get it. Sometimes it sucks, other times there's no issue.

-Alex Rosen

mmelton1

norman, US
6 posts

#57. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 56

mmelton1 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2006
Wed 16-May-12 12:25 AM

sorry if this is a stupid question and i didn't read every post on this thread so sorry if it's been asked BUT...can an autofocus problem like this be corrected with firmware?

Dooman51

Melbourne, AU
2 posts

#58. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 57

Dooman51 Registered since 14th May 2012
Wed 16-May-12 05:24 AM

>sorry if this is a stupid question and i didn't read every
>post on this thread so sorry if it's been asked BUT...can an
>autofocus problem like this be corrected with firmware?

I assume that the fact that Nikon are replacing my camera with a new one, means the answer is no. This seems logical since the AF fine tune is also useless in correcting this problem.

Just to note I have tested every lens I own 24,35,50,85 1.4G's and 14-24/24-70/70-200 and the 'problem' occurs on all lenses to certain degrees (50 1.4 is shocking and totally unusable) All the 1.4 G's seem to be far worse than the zooms but IMHO this is related to DOF. My conclusion is that anything wide open on my camera is off or soft to a certain degree with any AF point but far worse with the left points progressively getting worse the further left you go. But clearly I have a bad copy as I have found 'other issues' that Nikon seem to be concerned about after talking and supplying samples to them.

Nikon for life..

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#59. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 56

Wed 16-May-12 05:30 PM

>I'm really at a loss for understanding what's going on with
>my camera. I've certainly seen times where the left-most
>point is not nearly as sharp as the center. But today I went
>outside in good light, shot a bunch of photos using the
>left-most point and over 90% are sharp. I just don't get it.
>Sometimes it sucks, other times there's no issue.

I believe there may be a sensitivity issue with the left AF sensor, which causes it to exhibit the issue only under certain lighting/target conditions. I suspect this is because I observed more than usual hunting with that sensor. In AF-S mode, I often hear the focus servo twice, while the D700 is able to do it in one shot. In AF-C mode, the focus often hunts forth and back, even in relatively good light and a contrasty target, while the D700 is "quiet" (even while keeping the AF-ON depressed). Depending on those circumstances, and also the timing of when the shutter is released (how much delay after engaging AF), I sometimes got good focus with the left sensor. So it may be more than just the AF alignment. This may also explain that in some cases, Nikon service has not be able to fix the issue via AF calibration.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#60. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 59

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Thu 17-May-12 01:47 PM

Can someone help me understand these AF issues. I certainly don't have the "best" Nikon glass, but all but one of my lenses is on the "Nikon List" for the D800 as being acceptable.

Tom outlined the conditions in which the "AF issue" might occur - interesting points.

I tested for fine tuning my 16-35 f/4, 24-120 f/4 and 105mm f/2.8 Micro using my Lensalign. They appeared to be spot on. But then the procedure I used was using the center focus point; AF-S; Liveview; at about 30 x the focal length; wide open; longest focal length of each lens; Mup; Tripod; cable release. So some of these criteria don't meet those in Tom's "list".

But I am further confused, as wouldn't the focusing "issues" that many/some are talking about be affected by whether the camera was using its CDAF or PDAF - ie: viewfinder or Screen?

Also, secondly, aren't the focus "sensors" in the array different depending on where they are located in the focusing array? For example the outer AF sensors are one dimensional sensors configured in vertical lines, I think, while the center ones are cross sensors. Would not that make the "type" of target used to evaluate focusing perfromance relevent?

Most of the problems reported seem to be with the outer vertically arranged "one-dimesional" sensors while the cross ones seem OK.

I may be confused here, so please can someone put me right!

What is the best methodolgy and target type to truly accuately evaluate if the camera has this "focus problem"?

Thanks for your enlightenment.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#61. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 60

Thu 17-May-12 02:26 PM

>But I am further confused, as wouldn't the focusing
>"issues" that many/some are talking about be
>affected by whether the camera was using its CDAF or PDAF -
>ie: viewfinder or Screen?
>
Yes, the issue that everyone is concerned with is only related to the viewfinder PDAF. Everything I have seen says LiveView still works fine.

>Also, secondly, aren't the focus "sensors" in the
>array different depending on where they are located in the
>focusing array? For example the outer AF sensors are one
>dimensional sensors configured in vertical lines, I think,
>while the center ones are cross sensors. Would not that make
>the "type" of target used to evaluate focusing
>perfromance relevent?
Yes, if one compares the center AF point to the outer points this would complicate the test. Therefore, given the issue seems confined to the left side, I would advocate comparing the rightmost sensor to the leftmost sensor

>What is the best methodolgy and target type to truly accuately
>evaluate if the camera has this "focus problem"?
I don't know about best, but I might advocate the following.
Satisfy the conditions listed previously by Tom. The goal of the test design is to then elimate the issues that you have brought up as well as others. The preference is for a differential diagnosis to eliminate issues of technique and quality of focus target.
Place the camera on a tripod or other stable device in good light and use high shutter speed. Take photos using the rightmost and leftmost AF sensor by rotating the camera to place the AF sensor on the chosen target which is at the same height as the camera. Since the camera was rotated, geometry is still an issue. Therefore, repeat the test with the camera upside down. Do this for several trials. If the right AF point is consistently much better than the left, this would suggest to me that the issue is with the camera rather than the shooter.

Refinements and criticisms welcome.

Brian

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#62. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 61

Thu 17-May-12 04:52 PM | edited Thu 17-May-12 09:43 PM by chroaz

Thanks, Brian.

Well, without turning the camera upside down (!), and by purely evaluating the performance of the various focus points I conclude that I do indeed have the L/H focus issue - this on camera serial # 30095xx.

I used the 16-35 f/4 G for the test. I used the Lensalign target but not specifically to determine DOF issues, more to subjectively evaluate focus from the different sensors when viewed at 100%.

I could determine no appreciable issues using the Liveview CDAF system.

When using the Viewfinder (PDAF) I found the Center sensor and all sensors (that I tested) right of center to be acceptable. However the LH (outer) middle sensor was distinctively unacceptable, as was the lower LH (outer) sensor. For some reason the upper LH (outer) sensor was marginally better than the other LH ones. Moving progressively right 5 clicks from the LH outer sensor I found things improving from the 1st click in, and acceptable from the 2nd click in.

It was blowing a gale outside so I did the test inside in rather marginal lighting conditions, but I thinks the results are what they are anyway. (should be evenly good or bad!)

Test settings:

Lens: Nikkor 16-35mm f/4.0G ED N VRII
Tripod; VR Off; M-Up; Cable release; RAW
6 shots each @ Center, Left and Rigth Sensor - Liveview
6 shots each @ Center, Left and Right Sensor - Viewfinder PDAF
3 shots each @ each of the Outer Sensors, Middle/Top/Bottom - repeated for 4 "clicks" in towards center
Settings:
1/15s, f/4 at FL 16mm
Distance to Target 2' 3"

Is this a valid testing methodology do you think? If so I suppose I have to contact Nikon - any thoughts on that?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that if I focus in LiveView with the focus sensor "centered" on the target, when I switch to the Viewfinder the focus sensor is about 1 "box" lower than in LiveView and slightly to the right. Is this to be expected?

Thanks,

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#63. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 21

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Thu 17-May-12 06:14 PM

I did not think I had the AF issue until I followed your advice. I definitely have a left side AF problem when using my 24-70 at f2.8 and a distance of 20 ft. The focus is not off so much that I would notice...for probably months. I tend to swing my camera so the focus point is centered on my subject, focus , then turn my camera for composition and shoot.

Serial: 3004XXX

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#64. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 18-May-12 02:21 AM

FWIW, Nikon just emailed me that they're still reviewing my images that I've uploaded to determine a solution to my problem. Seems like they're trying to sort out the details internally still.

-Alex Rosen

reijo

CA
28 posts

#65. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

reijo Registered since 14th Apr 2012
Fri 18-May-12 12:30 PM

Mine is fine on the left side-top,middle and bottom.
Also checked the right side and it is fine too.
Ser # 5000442

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#66. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 62

Fri 18-May-12 12:49 PM

I would say yor method is good. If your going to send images to Nikon, you might want to repeat the test at a higher shutter speed in order to "leave no stone unturned". You know your technique is good and as you say they should be evenly good or bad but Nikon will probably only look at a couple shots and that 1/15s could be used as reasoning if someone was looking for one. Personally, I am waiting before sending in my D800 until there appears to be a consensus solution.

As for your edit, I'm not sure of the proper relation between focus points of the viewfinder and LiveView. Looking at the thread "D800E Focus Points", there seems to be multiple things going on with focus points.

Brian

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#67. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 66

Fri 18-May-12 01:14 PM

Yes, I'm going to re-do them today in better light conditions. The good thing though is that in every other respect this camera is amazing ... and how often, I wonder, is it that I will want to shoot in a manner where this "problem" manifests itself - ie: very wide, wide open and using the outer left hand focus point, with a desire to critically pixel peep at 100%!

Personally, I think I'll wait for Nikon to officially come up with a "solution" before letting my D800 go anywhere! It's an amazing machine.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

csjones4

Rockville, US
23 posts

#68. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 64

Sat 19-May-12 02:07 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

CJ

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#69. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

rhulbert Team Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter Member
Sat 19-May-12 03:13 AM

For what it's worth, I had my D800E for a couple of weeks before Rick Paul sent me a note suggesting I check out my camera for focus issues or the lack thereof.
I spent a glorious week in Toronto enjoying the Camera at my Urban Photo Workshop for the Nikonians Academy. I did notice that a couple of shots were uncharacteristically out of focus, but chalked it up to user error.

While sitting in the airport lounge on my way back to Vancouver on a Monday Morning, I set my nifty fifty to 1.4 and simply checked the focus accuracy using the viewfinder and sure enough, I noticed a severe lack of focus on the left most focus area. I uttered a four letter expletive aloud. The issue did not occur in live view.

I was debating about what to do. I took my baby back to Kerrisdale Cameras in West Vancouver, BC to my "pusher" Derek. He called Nikon immediately and they suggested sending it to Nikon Canada in Toronto from which I had just come. I hugged it goodbye and 10 days later it returned seemingly in working order.

I now have a smile on my face and I will sleep better knowing my D800E is home safe and sound. The work order listed the following:
"Adjust Focus System" and Replace Bayonet Mount" and "General Check and Clean"
Before you ask, I have no idea how to interpret this work order.
All I know is that I am appreciative of Kerrisdale Cameras and Nikon Canada.

PS .. I am not an NPS member.
However, I am a Content Canadian.
My serial number is 5001252
My D800E's name is Oprah

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

csjones4

Rockville, US
23 posts

#70. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 69

Sat 19-May-12 12:38 PM

Rick

Thanks for your post. I'm glad your focus issue was resolved.

I'm waiting until after my son's graduation in a few weeks to start the ball rolling with mine. It was purchased at Best Buy so I don't think I will get "VIP" treatment as you did with your camera shop which means I will need to deal with Nikon directly. I've thought about retuning it for a refund but I'm afraid it will be a very long time before I get my hands on another one.

Regards

CJ

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#71. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 69

Sat 19-May-12 12:56 PM

Congrats, I am happy to see your problem resolved so easily. It has been 10 days since I first talked to Nikon USA Tech Support. They sent me one email with instructions on how to submit photos for evaluation and I haven't a word since. Just to recap, I sent them two sets of photos taken with the 14-24 and 24-70. Each set with left point shots and center point shots for comparison. I also talked to the local Nikon service center in Sacramento. They were aware of the problem but did not yet have a fix.

I will take up the battle again Monday.

Chuck

csjones4

Rockville, US
23 posts

#72. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 71

Sat 19-May-12 01:15 PM

Best of luck Chuck. I've never had to deal with Nikon regarding a problem. Everything i've read says they have great customer support .... But then I read post like yours.

Regards

CJ

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#73. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 69

Sat 19-May-12 01:59 PM

Great that you got it fixed - congrats!

Interesting mention of the "Bayomet Mount". I wonder if that indicates that somehow the mounts were mounted slightly "off plane" and that contributes to the focus issue?

I sent my shots to Nikon for evaluation and am waitring to hear back.

Enjoy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

gregogarrison

US
6 posts

#74. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 73

gregogarrison Registered since 02nd Jan 2012
Wed 23-May-12 12:34 AM

Did my checks using lens align target with the 14-24; 24-70 @2.8 and the left side is soft. Right side slightly on the 14-24 Sigh...

I will redo the test in brighter light and try to replicate. Regardless I will hold onto it for a month or two and get a good feel for what it is producing before sending it back. That way I can evaluate the fix when it is done.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#75. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 74

Wed 23-May-12 01:55 PM

Nikon replied to me asking me to do the shots again with a different lens to "eliminate a lens issue".

I repeated the same test with my 24-120mm f/4 - same results. I also did the test in better lighting (f/4 1/160s) but, as I say, the same result - though, to my eye, a tad less bad, but still not acceptable. For fun I tried my 105mm f/2.8 Micro - no problems with that at all, so it does seem to be a problem related to focal length and aperture (wide and wide).

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#76. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 75

Fri 25-May-12 03:21 PM

Well I just got this reply from Nikon concerning the second set of images I sent in:-

"This email is regarding your last email. Yes we did evaluate your images and we are recommending you to send your D 800 in for service so we can go ahead and take care of this problem that you are having. Also our hours in El Segundo, CA facility are from 7AM - 3PM (Pacific)".

So, this seems to indicate that they acknowledge the issue and have a fix. As I am going to be coming back from an assignment in Santa Barbara, CA next week I'm going to drop the camera into Nikon's Service facility at El Segundo and go from there.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Jimi

South Lake Tahoe, US
349 posts

#77. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 76

Jimi Team Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2006
Sat 26-May-12 04:00 AM

I have a D800E 30003xx.
Did test today, AF fine tune 200-400mm +10
Shot at about 20 feet at 400mm. Left focus point back focuses about 1 inch. Right and middle are same and accurate.

Tested all 51 points. Used tripod, cable release, mirror up, and flash.

I'm bummed. Leaving for Teton workshop Wed. will have to wait until I return to fix.

While AF fine tuning my lens on both the D800E and my D300 I noticed a huge difference in WB even though they were both set to 5500K. Very odd. How do you manage a shoot?

Jim Stamates
Nikonians Academy Workshop Instructor

https://www.nikoniansacademy.com
http://stamates.com/blog
http://www.stamates.com

lizmcf

Manorville, US
28 posts

#78. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

lizmcf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2006
Sun 03-Jun-12 12:37 PM

Did my test this morning. Focus is not a problem on the left. My S/N is 30090xx.
Liz

reijo

CA
28 posts

#79. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 03-Jun-12 12:58 PM

When testing do we use live view or just the autofocus through the view finder?

aerobat

Büren, CH
329 posts

#80. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 79

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006
Sun 03-Jun-12 01:35 PM

The said issue is with AF using the viewfinder.

Regards, Daniel

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#81. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Sun 03-Jun-12 02:00 PM

I have not noticed anything during normal shooting, but not sure how often, if any, I actually did focus from the left, so I decided to
finally test it to be sure - shot same subject, using all focus points from right to left.
The left looked just a sharp as the right...so I'm OK.
D800 serial # 3002xxx

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

reijo

CA
28 posts

#82. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 80

Sun 03-Jun-12 02:02 PM

I am not sure if I am in the majority but generaly I don't move my focus indicator around but just use the center one and refocus if I have to.
I would be interested to hear if this is a common approach

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#83. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 81

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 03-Jun-12 02:35 PM

Last Sunday I had to move the focus point to the far left.
I was shooting MotoCross and wanted to get the "roost" in the photo.
Everything worked better than expected on my D800.

tomlawone

Hayden Lake, US
416 posts

#84. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 83

tomlawone Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2011
Sun 03-Jun-12 03:29 PM

Just tested in good light on decorative rock on my house. Nikon 16-35 f/4VR at 28mm, wide open. Wireless shutter release, tripod, and VR off. Shutter speeds 2500-3200. I shot 3 shots each all the way to left, center, and all the way to the right. I took the best of three. Amazingly, the best left was better than the best right, but center was noticeably the best, as one might expect. So, I see no focus problem. D800, SN 3012789.

aerobat

Büren, CH
329 posts

#85. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 82

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006
Sun 03-Jun-12 06:18 PM

With older cameras like the D50 I really only used the central AF point. But from the D200 on the outer AF points were quite usable and so I started to use them more. Specially if you do a portrait and have the focus on the eyes which aren't in the center of the frame than using the outer AF points is more accurate than using the center AF point and recompose. Now with an FX camera you might not even have an AF point as close to the border as you whish. It's still advisable to use an oute AF point and only recompose very little. The focus error can be minimised this way.

Regards, Daniel

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

reijo

CA
28 posts

#86. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 85

Sun 03-Jun-12 06:40 PM

That is interesting.I would like to explore this further.
I had always assumed the central point was the sharpest and you will get the sharpest image by using it and recomposing.
Is this still true or is it much wiser to use the focus points closest to the spot you are interested in and only recompose a small amount?
I can see that for portraits but would it be true to nature photography also?

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#87. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 86

Sun 03-Jun-12 09:18 PM | edited Sun 03-Jun-12 09:28 PM by RRRoger

Quote>That is interesting.I would like to explore this further.
>I had always assumed the central point was the sharpest and
>you will get the sharpest image by using it and recomposing.
>Is this still true or is it much wiser to use the focus points
>closest to the spot you are interested in and only recompose a
>small amount?
>I can see that for portraits but would it be true to nature
>photography also?<Quote<<<

It depends on your subject and also other camera settings.
For instance 51pt matrix or single point spot focus.

In my MotoCross case, I had less than a second to recompose the next shot and I most wanted to get the Rider and bike in focus.
The dust kicked up by the rear tire only needed to be in the picture.
So, I put the focus point on the Rider.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#88. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 03-Jun-12 10:57 PM

I had returned my previous bodies that showed that left AF issue. Last week I got a new one which finally has no issue.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#89. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 84

Sun 03-Jun-12 10:59 PM

>Just tested in good light on decorative rock on my house.
>Nikon 16-35 f/4VR at 28mm, wide open. Wireless shutter
>release, tripod, and VR off. Shutter speeds 2500-3200. I
>shot 3 shots each all the way to left, center, and all the way
>to the right. I took the best of three. Amazingly, the best
>left was better than the best right, but center was noticeably
>the best, as one might expect. So, I see no focus problem.
>D800, SN 3012789.

Hopefully that's true. My new camera has similar serial number and no issue. However even the previous bodies that did show the issue were fine when used with f/4 lenses, so your test would not prove it one way or the other.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

tomlawone

Hayden Lake, US
416 posts

#90. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 88

tomlawone Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2011
Sun 03-Jun-12 11:44 PM

My only lens with larger aperture is the 50mm f/1.8. I'll try it tomorrow wide open.

cam08529

Overland Park, US
5 posts

#91. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

cam08529 Registered since 22nd May 2009
Mon 04-Jun-12 09:36 AM

No problems with my D800. Serial number is in 11,000 range.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#92. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Sun 01-Jul-12 06:57 PM

I tried some shots at f/1.4 with my 50mm f/1.4G lens. Inside when taking photos with a tripod of some books on a shelf, it appeared to have a left focus problem, but when I went outside and took shots of a brick wall and a house across the street, I could see no problem whatsoever.

I guess I am not going to worry about it. I am probably the only person here who still uses the technique of locking on the center focus point almost all the time, half pressing the shutter button to focus, recomposing, and then shooting.

The serial number of my D800 is 302xxxx.

Rocky

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#93. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 92

Sun 01-Jul-12 08:12 PM

>. I am probably the
>only person here who still uses the technique of locking on
>the center focus point almost all the time, half pressing the
>shutter button to focus, recomposing, and then shooting.

Rocky ... you are not alone.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

#94. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 92

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Sun 01-Jul-12 10:00 PM

Have you tried the 3D tracking ? it works also when the camera moves to recompose and you're sure that what you were aiming at stays in precise focus while recomposing...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#95. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 02-Jul-12 03:45 PM

The good news is, my D800 has been repaired, shipped via UPS 2-day with today (Monday) as the delivery date.

The bad news is ... UPS seems to have lost it. It left their West Sacramento sorting facility at 5:56 but at 7:49 they updated the tracking to show "an exception has occurred", they are "taking corrective measures".

I have been on live chat support with UPS for over an hour and all I get is weak apologies for any inconvienance this may have caused and a suggestion that I keep tracking the package. He admitted that they do not know where it is but that they are looking for it.

It was very comforting to have him say that he understands my concern. Whew, I feel a whole lot better now.

This brings to mind the question, does anyone know what the UPS policy/procedure is for replacing something of this value?

Chuck

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#96. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 95

Mon 02-Jul-12 04:21 PM

> UPS seems to have lost it. It left their
>West Sacramento sorting facility at 5:56 but at 7:49 they
>updated the tracking to show "an exception has
>occurred", they are "taking corrective
>measures".
>This brings to mind the question, does anyone know what the
>UPS policy/procedure is for replacing something of this
>value?
>
>Chuck<Quote<<

Years ago I had three Volvo heads in a row "disappear" from UPS Sacramento.
Evidently they were marked on the outside of the box with the contents.
I found this "error" later when the second one showed up.
It was damaged and I think the thieves rejected it.

There was no cost to me, just lots of aggravation as the studs on the one I did receive were broke off and the head had to be done over locally.
UPS picked up all the loss.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#97. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 95

Mon 02-Jul-12 04:42 PM

Chuck - not happy news, but hopefully it will turn up OK. In this case the shipper was Nikon in El Segundo so there should be no problem in having it replaced by UPS (or even Nikon), as most hassles with couriers such as UPS arise over value/age/condition/packaging etc. In your case Nikon can certify to exactly what it was, and you can directly hold them liable too.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4573 posts

#98. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 97

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 02-Jul-12 05:18 PM

I'm not a D800 user, but thought this Mansurovs link may be of interest of those who do + D4 users. It talks about Auto focus problems and is evidently going to investigate many issues.

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-dslr-autofocus-problems#more-32832

Thought it may be useful.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#99. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 95

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Mon 02-Jul-12 08:23 PM | edited Mon 02-Jul-12 08:25 PM by Gromit44

>This brings to mind the question, does anyone know what the
>UPS policy/procedure is for replacing something of this
>value?

It seems they'll search for it for 10 business days (2 weeks) - then if they still can't find it they start the claims process. Altogether you could be looking at 4 weeks before they pay you for the item (assuming they don't find it).

Details here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/lost_process.html

UPS lost a D300 of mine - it turned up eventually.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#100. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 92

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Wed 04-Jul-12 11:20 AM

I mistakenly took the outdoor shots in P mode with the aperture on 8. When I redid the test at f/1.4, it definitely appears to have the left autofocus problem. Yesterday, I went by the local dealer where I purchased the D800 last week, and none of the employees had heard about the problem. The guy I apparently need to talk to was not there, so I am going back soon. I also ordered a LensAlign MkII so I can do some more accurate testing.

Even if I never use the far left autofocus point, I think I need to get it fixed for when I eventually want to sell the camera.

Rocky

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4573 posts

#101. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 100

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 04-Jul-12 12:07 PM

Hi Rocky. I don't know if the attached forum post I put up today may help at all.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=12032&mesg_id=12032&page=

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#102. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 101

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Wed 04-Jul-12 08:50 PM

Sad to report that my D800 has the severe left AF issue and a slight softness on the right too. Center is tack sharp. From the beginning I kept stating that I was having a tough time getting a sharp image w/D800 but read that it was due to all of those megapixels or technique. Yesterday I finally took the time to test it and was shocked to see how out of focus the left side was- a blurry mess! I shipped it off to Nikon yesterday via my local camera store & now need to test my D4 but will wait until I get the D800 back. My serial # starts w/ 300 & ends in 102.

I just hope that Nikon is aware of the issue & returns it repaired!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#103. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Thu 05-Jul-12 01:58 AM

I posted a yes vote for my soon to be returned to vendor D800E. I ran several focus tests, which were a bit inconsistent, i.e. not all of them reflected a left focus point problem. However, the majority did. My feeling is that none of them should be problematic unless caused by user error. I did enough testing to satisfy myself that the problem was not user error. The serial number of the camera is 3001xxx.

I have decided to return the camera to the vendor for credit. That means that I will be out of pocket about $110.00 for two way shipping for a product that is defective. However, I have chosen to do that rather than fight the Nikon repair lottery. There are too many reports of Nikon repair facilities not getting it right. Then one has the responsibility of testing whether Nikon has once again failed to get it right. I choose to wait until Nikon is producing consistently good cameras that can, more likely than not, be counted on to focus and otherwise perform properly.

This, of course, is very disappointing. I hope that Nikon will get its production facilities in proper order and fix this very bad quality control problem. Until I am satisfied that that has occurred I will remain on the sidelines. I am not willing to bear the burden of checking and rechecking to see whether Nikon has, this time, gotten it right. I do not think that that is a reasonable burden to place on the consumer. Others, of course, will disagree.

JDT

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#104. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 103

Thu 05-Jul-12 02:46 AM | edited Thu 05-Jul-12 12:17 PM by RRRoger

> I choose to wait until Nikon is producing consistently good cameras
that can, more likely than not, be counted on to focus and
otherwise perform properly.
I do not think that that is a reasonable burden to place on the consumer.
>Others, of course, will disagree.
>
>JDT<Quote<<<

I only agree because I have gotten so many excellent products from Nikon including my D800.
Unfortunately, it appears that they have succomed to the maladies of nearly every manufacture in the world.
I cannot think of any that have produced flawless products in the last year.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#105. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 103

Thu 05-Jul-12 04:59 AM

ITA & only wished that I had the option of receiving a credit or a return but the store I purchased it from has a 30day return policy & my purchase is past 30 days. I too feel it is a heavy burden to place on the consumer-for the prices I think we should have confidence in Nikon to release a product that is functioning & not damaged. ;-(

www.TinkersRealm.com

Lewis_F

Long Beach, US
3 posts

#106. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Lewis_F Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2012
Thu 05-Jul-12 03:39 PM

I just got my D800E this week (serial # 3002xxx) and I don't seem to have a left focus issue after testing but did need to fine tune AF for my 20, 50 and 80-200 (-10 to -20 range). However my 24-70 was perfectly fine, go figure.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#107. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 106

Thu 05-Jul-12 03:40 PM

Great News-Maybe this was why there was such a delay from the first shipments-Possibly the issue has been corrected!

www.TinkersRealm.com

AZBlue

US
54 posts

#108. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 107

AZBlue Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Thu 05-Jul-12 03:52 PM

>Great News-Maybe this was why there was such a delay from the
>first shipments-Possibly the issue has been corrected!

Serial #3014XXX received on 6/12 shows left AF issue, serial #3022XXX received on 7/2 does not show left AF issue. However, customers receiving cameras as early as a week ago are still indicating issues. Signs are pointing more and more to the fact that Nikon only calibrates the center AF point at the factory, and that other AF points may be off to a greater or lesser extent depending on other factors. However, when you send your camera for service they take more time to calibrate more of your AF points individually. If that's true, I don't know if this will ever be addressed at the factory.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#109. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 108

Thu 05-Jul-12 04:00 PM

Disappointing to hear that! My Serial # is 3002XXX

www.TinkersRealm.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#110. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 108

Thu 05-Jul-12 05:26 PM

I'm not sure that is a valid conclusion - I suspect this issue is now being overblown somewhat, although it did certainly exist for some (including me)!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

greyface

Acushnet, US
1613 posts

#111. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Thu 05-Jul-12 08:03 PM

I am in New Bedford massachusetts and unfortunately I have the asymmetric focusing problem. My serial # is 3020491. Camera is going in next week for repair.
-------------------

NikonPro25

US
2 posts

#112. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 111

NikonPro25 Registered since 07th Jul 2012
Sat 07-Jul-12 02:41 AM

I sent in my D800 a month ago for the Left AF issue, it came back with the issue still present. I sent it back yesterday. I checked the service status and under the "Cat." tab is says B2. When I click the "?" it says B2 means "Moderate repair: Major parts needed" I blieve it said the same the first time I sent it in but they said they didnt replace any parts. Does anyone know exactly what this means?

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#113. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 112

Sat 07-Jul-12 03:23 AM

Sorry to hear that your repair was not completed properly. I am crossing my fingers & hoping that they fix mine before returning it-LOL!

www.TinkersRealm.com

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#114. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 07-Jul-12 11:40 AM

Interestingly, the "Yes, I have the AF issue" to "No, I don't have an issue" ratio has changed from about 1:3 to 1:2 over the last few weeks. Perhaps people are starting to notice it more now.

-Alex Rosen

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#115. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 114

Sat 07-Jul-12 11:59 AM

>Interestingly, the "Yes, I have the AF issue" to
>"No, I don't have an issue" ratio has changed from
>about 1:3 to 1:2 over the last few weeks. Perhaps people are
>starting to notice it more now.
>>-Alex Rosen< Quote<<

I think that those with something to complain about are more likely to post.
I would not have looked if it weren't for these threads.
I thank Nikon that I do not have an issue.

MAUIWHALE

Green Bay, US
8 posts

#116. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 115

MAUIWHALE Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2012
Sat 07-Jul-12 12:21 PM

My D800 is #3010xxx and I have not tested it yet. I have read the many posts on this subject and I have a question on the test procedure. When testing and you use the center sensor you take a picture and then you use the far left sensor and take another picture. When you do this do you move the camera so the left sensor can be put on the same location as the picture taken with the center sensor or do you not move the camera and leave the center sensor on the original location and choose the left sensor (which will be at a different location) to focus the shot? I hope my quesion is clear.

Larry

reijo

CA
28 posts

#117. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 116

Sat 07-Jul-12 12:25 PM

When I did my test I locked the camera down tightly and kept it that way so there would be no question about whether things were moved around. I then moved the moved the focus point around noting carefully where it was pointed in each shot.
It probably would be a good idea to do this setting up specific little objects that you could focus on as you moved the focus point around.

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#118. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 112

Sat 07-Jul-12 12:42 PM

My 800 was returned 4 days ago. I tested it again with the 14-24 and 24-70. After comparing the latest shots with the shots from the first test I cannot tell one bit of difference.

Maybe my procedure was incorrect. The camera was on a sturdy Giottos carbon fiber tripod with a good Manfrotto head. I was about 8 feet from the target. I used the internal meter to determine lens and shutter settings. It was late morning (sun almost directly overhead) on a very sunny day and I was using 14mm and 24mm (widest for both lenses), f/2.8, iso 200 to get the shutter speed up, AF-S, single point, 8mm, don't have the exact shutter speed handy but it was more than fast enough for a tripod shot. I switched to manual, applied the settings and made sure the subject was out of focus. I next moved to the left focus point and used a 3 second delay to snap the shot. Without moving the camera or changing settings I then moved to the center focus point, defocused the image and snapped a second shot. The shot with the left focus point is out of focus (slightly blurry) across the entire frame. Is it me or did El Segundo not get it right?

Btw, my lenses all work fantastic on the D3s and my old D300's.

Chuck

AZBlue

US
54 posts

#119. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 118

AZBlue Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Sat 07-Jul-12 03:29 PM | edited Sat 07-Jul-12 05:00 PM by briantilley

I look at things much more simply... if the object behind my chosen AF point is not sharp, then something is wrong. You should not look for uniform focus across the frame, as that is dependent upon your sensor plane being perfectly parallel to your test subject. I would expect some variation in this regard however.

I took pictures of the same test pattern using left AF, center and right AF using two different D800 bodies. The earlier D800 body (serial 3014XXX) consistently returned OOF results at the extreme right and left AF points while center is tack sharp. Newer D800 body (serial 3022XXX) the left and right AF points focus almost as well as center, but not perfect, using the same test, shot within minutes of each other and under the same conditions.

If the subject behind the focus point is consistently OOF focus after shooting several shots, then I don't think the problem was fixed. This is also why my personal recommendation is to exchange your camera for a new one instead of going through service, as clearly it's a hit-and-miss situation. If Nikon incorporated a change at the factory in later bodies, we should start seeing far fewer issues with newer batches.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#120. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 118

Sat 07-Jul-12 04:01 PM

Chuck - this is quite similar to what happened with my "repair" at El Segundo - in fact my camera came back worse if anything. I returned the camera to the vendor and my replacement is as good as I could ever expect. I have recently done some extensive testing with FoCal software and note that the LH and RH focus points are not quite as good as the center grouping (as is to be expected), but more than acceptable for my shooting. I am getting stellar results with my new D800. It's an amazing piece of equipment and I'm now very happy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

MAUIWHALE

Green Bay, US
8 posts

#121. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 117

Sat 07-Jul-12 04:24 PM

I voted no. I did not see any out of focus condition using the left sensors. I used a AF 24mm f2.8D lens at f2.8 at about 5 feet with the camera mounted on a Gitzo 1325 MK2 with a Acra Swiss Ball head and used a remote sutter release. I did not move the camera and took 6 shots (1 center and each of the 5 left sensors). Again my SN 3010xxx.

Larry

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#122. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 95

Sun 08-Jul-12 01:45 AM

Interesting as I had a expensive item that I had insured disappear in the Sacramento area too- hope they find it & that Nikon insured it properly!

www.TinkersRealm.com

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#123. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 115

Sun 08-Jul-12 11:00 AM

>
>I think that those with something to complain about are more
>likely to post.
>I would not have looked if it weren't for these threads.
>I thank Nikon that I do not have an issue.
>
>

For sure there is a selection bias in these types of polls. Hopefully the D800 on this site who have a 'good' camera are voting too though. Of course, owners subjectively deciding if their camera has a problem or not is another huge confounder here.

-Alex Rosen

wooster

UK
120 posts

#124. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 123

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Sun 08-Jul-12 12:04 PM | edited Sun 08-Jul-12 12:07 PM by wooster

Just tested the one I received on Friday afternoon. Unfortunately it also suffers from the AF issue. It is worst at the far left point but is also obvious in other points towards the left hand periphery. I used a 50mm f1.4 to test and compared the AF with Live View. It was really obvious that the affected AF points were much below the performance of the "good" ones.

I'm not messing about and will send it back tomorrow. Its a shame because otherwise I really like this camera. I will ask for one replacement and if that's fine, then all will be well, but if not I will wait until Nikon sort it out.

EDIT Meant to say the serial number is 603****

wooster

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#125. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 124

Sun 08-Jul-12 12:16 PM

It's not very reassuring that even recent deliveries still have the issue. The only solution may be having a service center recalibrate the camera. I'll find out how my Melville service went tomorrow evening after UPS drops her off.

-Alex Rosen

wooster

UK
120 posts

#126. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 125

Sun 08-Jul-12 12:19 PM | edited Sun 08-Jul-12 12:20 PM by wooster

>It's not very reassuring that even recent deliveries still
>have the issue. The only solution may be having a service
>center recalibrate the camera. I'll find out how my Melville
>service went tomorrow evening after UPS drops her off.
>
>-Alex Rosen
>www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I know what you mean. This photographer says his more recent one was faulty but one he ordered early after release was fine

http://testcams.com/blog/2012/06/20/nikon-d800-left-autofocus-point-issue/

Wooster

Bk777

MY
161 posts

#127. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 125

Bk777 Registered since 10th Feb 2012
Sun 08-Jul-12 12:30 PM

My D800 had left AF focus since I got it in March 2012. Since then, I mainly used center AF focus mainly for taking photos. Recently sent my D800 with 24/1.4G for service last Thursday and got it back on Friday. In the report, it wrote: computer calibration on D800. This weekend, I took photos with D800/24G handheld, it focus accurately and not hunting. Plan to test it with tripod when i have time.

I sent it to Nikon Malaysia after reading Ming Thien's blog where his D800E's focusing issue was solved.

bvishneski

US
5 posts

#128. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 125

bvishneski Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2009
Sun 08-Jul-12 01:15 PM | edited Sun 08-Jul-12 01:37 PM by bvishneski

Alex,
I also ran into this issue. My camera S/N is 30234XX. I just sent my D800 to the same location on Friday. Perhaps we could keep in touch relative to our communication with Nikon and how the repairs turn out?

I write for Mansurovs and posted this yesterday morning:
http://mansurovs.com/d800-caviar-sardines-orspam/

Best Regards,
Bob

MAUIWHALE

Green Bay, US
8 posts

#130. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 124

Sun 08-Jul-12 07:50 PM

I am a bit confused by the SN being listed. Mine in the US is 301xxxx (received May 11th) and others are listing 603xxxx. Are the SN different in different countries?

wooster

UK
120 posts

#131. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 130

Sun 08-Jul-12 08:00 PM

I'd imagine the serial number is international and that they've simply distributed another 300,000 in the last couple of months

wooster

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#132. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 130

Sun 08-Jul-12 08:40 PM

>I am a bit confused by the SN being listed. Mine in the US is
>301xxxx (received May 11th) and others are listing 603xxxx.
>Are the SN different in different countries?

Different parts of the world have different serial numbers. See post #10 in this thread:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=9753&mesg_id=9753&page=7

Rocky

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#133. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 132

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Sun 08-Jul-12 09:57 PM

My D800E, SN 3002781 seemd to be working quite well. I recieved it July 3rd. It has some of the old firmware (L 1.004), so I do not believe it is one of the most recently assembled.

I tested the autofocus per the Mansurovs procedure and also by comparing the autofocus to live view focus. I saw no difference at f/2.8 on my 24-70mm or 70-200mm.

As an aside, if you want to see some great moire', print the Mansurovs test pattern on a laser printer and photograph it at f/8. I suppose it depends on the focal length setting and the distance to the target, but what I got was really impressive. The little dots in the half tones made some interesting and quite colorful patterns. Unfortunately, I moved everything and didn't get back to try f/16 -- the diffraction at that stop is supposed to reduce the moire' effect.

Phil

MAUIWHALE

Green Bay, US
8 posts

#134. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 131

Mon 09-Jul-12 11:43 AM

>I'd imagine the serial number is international and that
>they've simply distributed another 300,000 in the last couple
>of months
>
>wooster

I believe that is actually an extra 3,000,000 which is beyond their production capacity according to Thom Hogan.

MAUIWHALE

Green Bay, US
8 posts

#135. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 132

Mon 09-Jul-12 11:47 AM

>>I am a bit confused by the SN being listed. Mine in the
>US is
>>301xxxx (received May 11th) and others are listing
>603xxxx.
>>Are the SN different in different countries?
>
>Different parts of the world have different serial numbers.
>See post #10 in this thread:
>
>https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=9753&mesg_id=9753&page=7
>
>Rocky
Thanks that was helpful.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#136. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 09-Jul-12 10:58 PM

Just received the camera back from Melville today. It arrived there on June 20 and it was delivered back to me today (July 9) for a 19 day turn around from the time they received it. The repair sheet called the service a B1. The following descriptors were used:
ADJ DEFOCUS CONTROL
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
CKD COMMUNICATION
FIRMWARE UPGRADE
CLN CCD
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

I've just shot about 100 more photos comparing the left and center AF points, and I have to call the issue 'fixed'. The left AF focus is much more consistent, doesn't hunt back and forth as much as it did before sending it in, and the consistency of 'in focus' shots is greatly improved.

Time to shoot happily and forget this issue ever existed. I'd recommend anyone with the problem send it to Melville. They seem to have a handle on the problem.

-Alex Rosen

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#137. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 136

Mon 09-Jul-12 11:30 PM

Good news, Alex - Enjoy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#138. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 136

Tue 10-Jul-12 12:19 AM

Hooray- a successful repair!!!

I received a call from the camera shop that was to be sending mine in & they asked me 1. If I purchased it from them & 2. When & 3. Why was it not sent in as a warranty vs: repair.

Not feeling too confident after that call- lol!

www.TinkersRealm.com

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#139. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Tue 10-Jul-12 03:31 PM

I dropped off my D800 at UPS a few minutes ago.

Wish me luck.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#140. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 139

Tue 10-Jul-12 04:13 PM

Break a Leg!

www.TinkersRealm.com

NikonPro25

US
2 posts

#141. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 136

NikonPro25 Registered since 07th Jul 2012
Tue 10-Jul-12 06:49 PM | edited Tue 10-Jul-12 07:17 PM by briantilley

Interesting. My repair sheet said the exact same thing a month ago, and still had the issue, so sent it back. Currently when I check the online status, it says its now service B2 (major parts needed). Dont see what changed from the last time they had it in service!

Jimi

South Lake Tahoe, US
349 posts

#142. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 140

Jimi Team Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2006
Tue 10-Jul-12 07:16 PM

Got my D800E back from El Segundo today.
Quick test seems fine. Left Right Center points look good.
I'm not going through a thorough testing. I will see how it operates in the field.
Invoice says;
Adj Auto Focus Operation
Ckd everything else
sharpness
image test
focusing mechanism
focus tracking
infinity focus
general check and clean.

Good luck to all.

Jim Stamates
Nikonians Academy Workshop Instructor

https://www.nikoniansacademy.com
http://stamates.com/blog
http://www.stamates.com

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#143. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 112

Wed 11-Jul-12 12:38 PM

>I sent in my D800 a month ago for the Left AF issue, it came
>back with the issue still present. I sent it back yesterday. I
>checked the service status and under the "Cat." tab
>is says B2. When I click the "?" it says B2 means
>"Moderate repair: Major parts needed" I blieve it
>said the same the first time I sent it in but they said they
>didnt replace any parts. Does anyone know exactly what this
>means?

Perhaps a month ago they didn't have the "fix" that is supposedly available now. Nikon El Segundo received my camera yesterday and shows it as the same B2 repair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

D800 and a bunch of glass that cost way more than my wife thinks it did.

jeffnesh

US
1 posts

#144. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

jeffnesh Registered since 14th Jul 2012
Sat 14-Jul-12 04:37 PM

Just got my new D800 (moving back to nikon after a few years of Sony full frame, happily). Since the intarwebs are filled with complaints, I thought I'd throw in a positive datapoint.

First calibrated my 50mm 1.8 with the new FoCal software (a great experience!).

Then did a slapdash center/left/right test with the 50mm based on this blog post:

http://mansurovs.com/d800-caviar-sardines-orspam#more-32923

My results... first, the setup:

http://www.highway30.org/forums/focus/target_setup_50mm_f2.png

Then, the center target, with center focus point for reference:

http://www.highway30.org/forums/focus/center_target_cFP.png

Next, the left target, once using the left-most focus point, once using the center point (on the center target) for reference. So if I use the center focus point, the target out to the left is fairly in focus. If I use the left focus point *on* that target, it is in about the same focus. Right targets look similar, so I'm not showing them here. Seems tolerable to me.

http://www.highway30.org/forums/focus/left_target_cFP_lFP.png

Last, for comparison, the left target, once with live view focusing on the left target, and once with the viewfinder/phase detect focusing on the left. Again, fairly consistent.

http://www.highway30.org/forums/focus/left_target_lFP_pd_lv.png

I know ideally folks are testing with wider lenses. 50 is as wide as I go at the moment. If I get a wider lens in the near future (zeiss 25? voightlander 20? nikon 16-35 f/4?) I'll test again. I don't expect an issue, but I'll tackle it then if it's necessary.

Now, out to shoot!
Jeff

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

#145. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 14-Jul-12 05:44 PM

Serial number is 302*** and it is flawless in performance, including all focus points.

Visit JamesDane.Com.

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#146. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 144

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Sun 15-Jul-12 01:18 AM

>I know ideally folks are testing with wider lenses. 50 is as
>wide as I go at the moment.

I was able to easily replicate the problem with my 50mm f/1.8.

>If I get a wider lens in the near
>future (zeiss 25? voightlander 20? nikon 16-35 f/4?) I'll test
>again. I don't expect an issue, but I'll tackle it then if
>it's necessary.

The Voigt and Zeiss won't help you test this one... they are manual focus lenses.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

timocar

US
1 posts

#147. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

timocar Registered since 24th Jul 2012
Tue 24-Jul-12 07:54 PM

SN# 3015--- Has a bad left focus issue and an almost as bad right focus issue.
Tech help at Nikon was not very familiar and not very helpful. I'm sending mine in to Nikon on my dime and I'm not happy about it.
Does anyone know how log it takes Nikon to fix and ship the camera?

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#148. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 147

Tue 24-Jul-12 10:23 PM

About three weeks. It may get slower if more people are sending them in.

-Alex Rosen

Leatham

Table Top, AU
86 posts

#149. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

Leatham Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Wed 25-Jul-12 08:42 AM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 08:49 AM by Leatham

Is there a simple, repeatable test with a given focal length, aperture and distance that makes the focus issues obvious? Simple meaning no extra software or test targets required.

Is a universal test procedure even possible because the exact focus errors vary from camera to camera?

wooster

UK
120 posts

#150. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 149

Wed 25-Jul-12 09:21 AM

Here is one:

http://mansurovs.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

You can download and print the target he uses from the link on that page

Wooster

Leatham

Table Top, AU
86 posts

#151. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 150

Leatham Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Wed 25-Jul-12 09:40 AM

Thanks. Not sure if that qualifies as "simple" as the description is over 2,600 words in length, but it looks to be a well considered procedure.

However, the following words do not inspire confidence:

"Still, it will be hard to pinpoint the exact source of the problem, because it all depends on how badly calibrated your lenses were before you started the test."

This issue won't stop me buying a D800E - I am giving Nikon until Photokina to come up with a D400 to compare - but it would be reassuring to walk into a shop and be told "We did the Nikonian test with focal length x at aperture x at distance x and this camera is fine".

I want to take pictures, not stick targets on my garage wall.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16971 posts

#152. "RE: Does your D800 have the AF issue? (see description below)" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Wed 25-Jul-12 10:31 AM

As with others, this thread is getting long enough to cause problems for many to read. Any related discussion can be started in a new thread.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

G