Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI

yunjo

Portland, US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yunjo Registered since 06th Jul 2008
Fri 04-May-12 05:10 AM | edited Fri 04-May-12 05:36 AM by yunjo

I just found out that live view will increase the shutter count every time it's activated even though a picture may not have been taken. Sure enough that explains why my D800 EXIF data shows 700 pictures taken but the number of actual images based on file number is only 359. I shoot most of my landscapes in live view and manual focus for image sharpness. The penalty is that each actual picture counts as two shutter actuations. If you shoot a movie, it counts as a shutter click, but if you leave it in live view, starting and stopping movies does NOT affect shutter count.

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#1. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 04-May-12 08:18 AM

This issue is not unique to the D800, all Nikons do this when using live view.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#2. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 04-May-12 10:00 AM

The shutter count on all Nikon DSLRs is exactly that. It's a shutter count, not the number of frames.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 04-May-12 01:39 PM

To add to what the others have said, consider what happens when you use LiveView. Remember that LV uses the imaging sensor, so it has to be unblocked to start LV. When you enable LV, the shutter opens - basically for a 10 minute "exposure." You use the sensor for viewing, focusing, etc. When you release the shutter, the camera turns off the sensor (and probably resets it to change it over from video mode to still mode), closes the shutter, enables the sensor, then the shutter opens for the shutter speed duration, and then closes. Now think about what happens when you shoot movies. You open the shutter once, and the sensor and processor create the movies. When you're done, you close the shutter. Given that the count is of shutter actualtions, I think folks would be upset if it did not count this way.

I wouldn't worry about this. Yes, it's twice as many actuations as you're expecting. But in general if you're using LV, I don't think you're in any kind of high speed frame capture mode. If you're like me you probably aren't even shooting one frame per minute, let alone n per second. Given the design life of the shutter, it's going to take a LONG time to wear it out. By the time you get to 100k, Nikon will probably have an 80mp monster to replace it anyway...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2034 posts

#4. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 3

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Fri 04-May-12 03:49 PM

Thus, is there a way to know how many photos we have taken with the newer cameras? I still use my D200 (i.e.no such issue) but am waiting for D800. Is it possible to parameter the camera to have a unique photo number for every photo taken for the entire life of the camera?

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 04-May-12 10:03 PM | edited Sat 05-May-12 12:29 AM by RRRoger

If you think you are getting cheated by recording more pictures than you took, it is actually the other way around.
I think Live View and movie making put more wear on the camera that single shots using the viewfinder.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#6. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Fri 04-May-12 11:52 PM

The camera counts shutter actuations. Live view is simply shutter intensive. No penalties, just reality.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2034 posts

#7. "RE: D800/E shutter count affected by live view - FYI" | In response to Reply # 5

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Sat 05-May-12 10:10 AM

Thanks, I should have added that I would like to have this capability not because I feel cheated but only because I'd love to have a simple unique ID for my photos, and also for curiosity (i.e. Know my shooting stats).

There are alternatives, but this is a point I hoped was possible because it seems simple to implement (although the unique ID could be problematic for the pros shooting with two bodies, etc.). There must be reasons I ignore because my first digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5000, $1500 in 2003, 5 Mg pixels, raw files, etc.) had unique ID for every photo.)

Regards,

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

G