Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wireless Shutter Release for D800??

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Tue 03-Apr-12 02:01 PM

Does anyone know of a good wireless shutter release for the D800. I know about the Pocket Wizard but I am looking for other suggestions.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dankeny

Roland, US
1555 posts

#1. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 0

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006
Tue 03-Apr-12 11:26 PM

The built in infrared release is not sufficient?

David

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#2. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 04-Apr-12 08:41 AM

David,

Thanks for the response. But what infared release are you referring to? It is my understanding that the D800 does not support IR, my Users Manual makes not mention of it and the forums frequently speak of its absence and the D800 lack of support for the ML-L3 IR release that was so great on the D90.

Dan

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#3. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 2

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Wed 04-Apr-12 10:04 AM

Dan, Take a look at the bottom of page 390 in the D800 manual. It speaks of the Remote ML-3 (see below)

"Modulite Remote Control Set ML-3: Allows infrared remote
control at ranges of up to 8 m (26 ft 3 in.)".
Regards,

Glenn Thompson

my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#4. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 3

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 04-Apr-12 10:29 AM

The ML-3 for the D800 requires a 10 pin connection.
If you go into the menue, you can program the shutter button (thru remote) to start/stop Videos.
The ML-3 also has a trigger mode that with activate the shutter button when something crosses the IRA beam.

I have the Nikon unit, but also several YongNuo knock offs (including one that uses a stereo pin connection) that are a much cheaper equivalent.

Peter Beckett has come up with a device that will auto-restart the Video at the end of each 20 minute limit.

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#5. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 4

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Wed 04-Apr-12 10:49 AM

Roger,
Would you mind giving me more information on the Peter Beckett device.
I am interested in it and how to buy one.
Thanks...

Glenn Thompson

my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#6. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 04-Apr-12 11:05 AM | edited Wed 04-Apr-12 11:09 AM by RRRoger

>Roger,
>Would you mind giving me more information on the Peter Beckett
>device.
>I am interested in it and how to buy one.
>Thanks...
>
>Glenn Thompson <Quote<<<

I just saw the device yesterday when Pete demonstrated it at my house.
It is in development stage.
An electronic eye monitors the memory card light
and when it stops flashing a servo restarts the Video by pushing the button.
What I cannot remember is if the button is on the remote receiving unit or the camera.

He should chime in soon with pictures, etc. as we picked up his D800 yesterday.

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#7. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 0

Testing123 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Wed 04-Apr-12 12:03 PM

Remotes for the D800
The D800 uses a 10-pin connector, so any remote that works with (say) a D3s or D700, etc. should work.
(Note: some of these are wireless, some wired.)

Vello RS-N1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749973-REG/Vello_RS_N1_RS_N1_Wired_Remote_Switch.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750013-REG/Vello_RW_N1_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

PHOTTIX® PLATO for Nikon: http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-remotes/phottix-plato.html

Pixel RW-221: http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=78

Nikon ML-3: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Remote-Cords/4645/ML-3-Compact-Modulite-Remote.html

Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749293-REG/Vello_RCW_N1_Wireless_ShutterBoss_Timer_Remote.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Nikon MC-36 Multi-Function Remote Cord: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Remote-Cords/4917/MC-36-Multi-Function-Remote-Cord.html

That should get you started.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#8. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 04-Apr-12 01:07 PM

Wow...thanks for the list. I have seen some these at various web sites and wondering if anyone has actually used them. I had a Vivitar unit for my D90 and I, like several others, had trouble with the receiver. When triggered from the transmitter it caused the camera to just keep taking pictures till the battery or the card ran out or you turned off the camera. Vivitar tried to get me to fix the problem with new instructions but still not working. The wired receiver releases a single shutter release with a button just fine when attached to the camera however..so that's what I was using for macro.

On a similar note...the ML-3 for the D90 only works in front of the camera. Like for taking your own picture..but not from behind. Thats a problem when I use it for macro work. So...I really want a wireless unit that I can use for anything...including putting my camera/tripod in a blind and triggering it remotely when shooting birds. I don't want to buy 2 different units.

Dan

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#9. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 8

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 04-Apr-12 01:30 PM

I've used the Phottix Plato. It works very well, although the power on/off switches can be a bit fiddly in the dark. If you buy one, I'd ask Phottix for the short receiver to camera cable - the long coiled one is far too long and gets tangled round the tripod.

Long cable - http://martybugs.net/blog/images/PhottixPlato_A05191_500.jpg

Short cable - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3354312323_8817c576e6.jpg

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#10. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 04-Apr-12 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice on the unit and the cord. I think you are right about the short cord. Ever heard anything about the Vello? There are some good customer reviews about it also (and as always a few bad). Still deciding.

THX again!

Dan

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#11. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 05-Apr-12 09:07 AM

I'd never heard of the Vello before. None of the retailers over here seem to stock it.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#12. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 06-Apr-12 10:30 AM

Well, I ordered the Phottix Strata II. You can look it up if you are interested. A few tech reviews give it very high marks and I like its advantages and capabilities. A little more than the others ($100 vs $35) but I hope it will be worth it.

Dan

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#13. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 12

Fri 06-Apr-12 12:30 PM | edited Fri 06-Apr-12 12:32 PM by Gromit44

I haven't seen one but the Strato II looks pretty good.

http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-strato-ii-multi-5-in-1-wireless-flash-trigger.html

I'm not sure it'll do i-TTL though (assuming you want it to control Speedlights as well as act as a wireless shutter release).

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#14. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 06-Apr-12 01:04 PM

Well, the difference between TTL and iTTL has always confused me and is certainly not my area of expertise. But I plan to use the Strata in non=flash mode 90% of the time and am hoping the TTL functionality will work for the times I want to use flash.

In my usual flash set-ups there are 2:

1. A Nikon sb-600 mounted to the D800 as the single flash.
2. A Nikon sb-600 mounted to the D800 in CMDR mode with 2 sb-R200's mounted to the Nikon R1 Flash System.

Direct mounting on the D90 AND D800 work great in these 2 set-ups. With the Strata I am hoping that the 2 environments above will work ....at least to some degree.

If anyone can explain this whole iTTL thing associated to my 2 set-ups above has any advice please let me know.

Also see Phottix Strata tech review below for it's capabilities (which I can not fully comprehend being that I am not 'flash' expert.

From the Review...

"....TTL Pass Through – An Explanation:

Just like the Strato, the Strato Multi trato, Phottix includes “TTL pass through” capabilities, which basically allows you to use a hotshoe flash on top of the Strato’s transmitter with full TTL capabilities. What does this feature mean for photographers? Flexibility and freedom.

Taking advantage of the TTL pass through of the Strato, you can use a hotshoe flash on-camera to provide fill, bounce, or use the flash’s AF-assist light. You can even put another brand of wireless flash trigger on the Strato transmitter’s hotshoe and trigger another set of remote flashes along with the Strato’s remotes.

In essence, what the Strato offers is all the features that you could use with your camera’s normal hotshoe – think of it as the world’s shortest TTL-sync cord.

For shooters using Nikon’s CLS (or Canon eTTL), you can use the TTL pass-through function as a way of combining CLS triggering with the 2.5GHz Strato triggering.

In this setup, you could use non-TTL flashes or strobes with the Stato receivers, while using a Nikon SB-900 or Nikon SU-800 as the commander on top of the Strato transmitter to control a second set of CLS-capable speedlights, all with the benefits of TTL and groups.

One has to keep in mind that in this setup, no CLS/eTTL data is being sent by the Strato transmitter – triggering with CLS/eTTL is still done via IR sent from the commander flash, so you’re not getting the same kind of TTL Frankenstein mix like you would with Pocketwizard FlexTT5 units."

Dan

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#15. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 14

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Fri 06-Apr-12 02:31 PM

>Well, the difference between TTL and iTTL has always confused
>me and is certainly not my area of expertise. But I plan to
>use the Strata in non=flash mode 90% of the time and am hoping
>the TTL functionality will work for the times I want to use
>flash.

A tiny bit of history. The real "TTL" metering were for film, and the camera sensed the flashes reflection off the film itself during exposure.

iTTL is working off of a pre-flash to estimate the reflectivity and distance to the subjects, so that during real exposure it sets the flash power (and does not measure during exposure).

Not that this has much to do with your question I think, but for what it is worth.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#16. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 06-Apr-12 03:33 PM | edited Fri 06-Apr-12 03:40 PM by Gromit44

>If anyone can explain this whole iTTL thing associated to my 2 set-ups above has any advice please let me know.

Basically, with i-TTL (intelligent through-the-lens) the Speedlight fires a pre-flash just before the shutter opens and before the main flash is fired. The camera's metering systems use the reflected pre-flash to analyse the scene and work out how much flash power is required. The camera tells the Speedlight to adjust its output accordingly - the shutter then opens and the Speedlight fires the main flash.

If your SB-600 is connected directly to the D800's hotshoe i-TTL will work as above. If the Strato is placed between the hotshoe and the SB-600 I'm not sure i-TTL will work properly (or at all). I'm not familiar with the Strato though - so if I were you I'd give Phottix a call (or send them an email). They may say that the Strato is fully compatible with i-TTL in which case you're ok - but if they don't you might be better off getting an ordinary remote shutter release such as the Plato.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#17. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 06-Apr-12 06:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification(s). My plan was to use the Strata on the D800 like I used my Vivitar on the D90. That was to attach the SB-600 to the camera hot shoe and use the Strata via the 10 pin connector to the D800, looped on my tripod not on the shoe, to serve as a remote shutter release. The SB-600 in CMDR mode will trigger my remotes. I really dont see my need for the TTL/flash shoe mount on the Strata in my set-up. Again it all worked for the D90 and Vivitar unit so we'll see.If I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Dan

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#18. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 17

Sat 07-Apr-12 01:41 PM | edited Sat 07-Apr-12 01:44 PM by Gromit44

I don't think you've missed anything with that plan - i.e. if the Strato is connected to the camera only by the 10-pin cable (and not on the hotshoe) then it should just work as a remote shutter release with no effect at all on i-TTL.

More info: I've just found this review which might clarify the i-TTL situation if the Strato IS on the hotshoe - http://www.lightingrumours.com/phottix-strato-ii-multi-vs-pixel-rook-vs-pixel-bishop-1398. The 3rd paragraph in the 'Operation & Controls' section says that the Strato has a full Nikon i-TTL pass-through hotshoe. If that's true then you should be ok mounting it underneath the SB-600.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#19. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 18

Sat 07-Apr-12 03:29 PM

WOW...thanks alot!! I didn't see that. If so....then all the better. When I set up my Strata (probably get it on Mon or Tue) I will let you know what all works. I am new as of Feb to the Nikonians but really like the feedback that folks post. I have no close friends who are as into this as much as I am so this forum is great.

Dan

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#20. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 19

Sat 07-Apr-12 08:14 PM

Ok Dan, let us know how it goes.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#21. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 04-Apr-12 11:48 PM | edited Fri 06-Apr-12 01:04 AM by RRRoger

Quote>On a similar note...the ML-3 for the D90 only works in front of the camera.
Like for taking your own picture..but not from behind.<Quote<<<

You are thinking of the ML-L3 that uses the cameras built in receiver.
The ML-3 has a hot shoe receiver that connects to the 10pin on a D800.
It can be pivoted in any direction or mounted separately with an extension cord..
The YongNuo ML-3a is identical for a small fraction of the cost.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#22. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 04-Apr-12 11:56 PM

Thanks....I realized I was referring to the ML-L3 after I responded to the post. So much technology...so little time.

Honestly...it is because of you and those in the forum like you, who share their knowledge and information, that this forum is so worthwhile for the others of us.

Pay it forward..

Dan

dkelly

CASTLE ROCK, US
29 posts

#23. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 22

dkelly Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2002
Sun 29-Apr-12 12:22 AM

Curious how the Strato II is working for you, assuming you did receive it. I'm also thinking of purchasing one for a D800E on order and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Doug

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#24. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 23

Sun 29-Apr-12 08:06 AM

It works perfectly as a wireless trigger. I have not testd out the maximum distance but it works with the camera set up outside my house with me looking out a window and the camera around the corner of the house, out-of sight, about 25 feet away.

I have not used it to trigger a flash on it's hot shoe.. from the unit, but have used it to trigger my shutter ....that triggers my built-in and SB-600 flashes in CMD mode to SB-200's ...and it works fine. Works perfectly for single shot or continuous release.

I had a Vivitar unit for my D90 and it never worked correctly with the D90 except as a wired release. The Phottix works wired or wireless. I use it wired like a corded release for macro...and wireless for birds etc.

It feels good in my hands, comes nicely packaged and does exactly what I got it to do. It took me a about 15 minutes to get through the instructions and figure out the settings.

The only negative was that the 10 pin cable packaged with the unit (it has lots of xtra cable connector options) had a a bent pin in the cable head that plugs into the D800. I had to look carefully to find out if it was me not understanding how to plug it in the the camera but I found a bent (too one side) pin in the cable head. After I straightened it with a micro-,it snapped right to the D800 and tightened down nicely.

I have used it about 10 times in the last weeks and sometimes I just leave it mounted on the camera. The 10-pin cable is short and a nice length to not be dangling from the camera when it is attached or get tangled in the tripod.

I would rate it as a 9.5 out of 10 now that I have the pin straightened out...and I may have actually bent it myself when I tried to plug it in to the camera the first time.

Dan

dkelly

CASTLE ROCK, US
29 posts

#25. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 24

dkelly Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2002
Sun 29-Apr-12 11:27 AM

Great - thanks for the details! I've been researching quite a few different remotes trying to make sure I pick the right one, especially when you consider how expensive some of them are. I was pretty close to ordering the Strato II and then came across your thread. Thanks for sharing your early impressions - very helpful.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#26. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 25

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Mon 30-Apr-12 01:46 PM

I just ordered the Vello Shutterboss Wireless Timer Remote from B&H - seems a viable and cheaper alternative to the ML-3 - not for flash triggering though - I'm thinking of the Pocket Wizard system for that - Mini TT1, Flex TT5's and AC3 controller with my SB600 and 700 Speedlights. More expensive than the Strato II of course, but seems more capable with the ability to control the flash outputs of 3 groups individually, and simply, rather than fire them all off at same power for all groups.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#27. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 26

Mon 30-Apr-12 05:08 PM

The Strato II is serving me very well. I use it virtually every day and every time my camera is on the tripod..which is 75% of the time these days. Probable 70% of time wired and 30% wireless. Hasn't let me down yet.

I have no need now and I doubt in the future for remote flashes beyond what my commander mode will trigger. I was made aware of the Pochet Wizard advantages and if you need that functionality then it seems like the Wizard is the way to go.

Dan

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#28. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 27

Mon 30-Apr-12 06:51 PM | edited Tue 01-May-12 01:42 PM by chroaz

Thanks - yes not quite sure yet whether my needs wiil in fact "need" the Pocket Wizard System, although there is a small rebate on them at the monent. I suspect that the Strato II may serve me just as well. Still evaluating things!

EDIT: Phottix have released the "ODIN" trigger for Canon - that transmits TTL info like the pocket wizard, though considerably cheaper. It has very good reviews especially on reliability and ease of use. The Nikon version of this is in field tests now and hopefully will be released in a "couple of months". The good thing about it is that it will be backwards compatible with the Stato II Multisystems and will trigger the older receivers. This makes "building a system" this way, with the ability for full off camera flash TTL control, a cheaper alternative to the PW system and gives an affordable upgrade path for those with a Phottix system. Cost I believe is around $325 for a trigger and receiver.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#29. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 28

Wed 02-May-12 03:48 PM

I can't remember for sure and don't have the detail web page at hand, but the "Strato II for Nikon" also passes TTL info. If I can find the article I will email you the link.

Dan

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#30. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 29

Wed 02-May-12 08:13 PM

Yes, I think it does .. but only to the camera mounted flash I thought - not to the "slaves".

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#31. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 0

RidgesPhoto Registered since 10th May 2012
Thu 10-May-12 02:43 PM

I just received the RFN-4s and I'm very impressed with it. Fits the D800 perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PCDSBQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#32. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 31

Thu 10-May-12 10:28 PM

>I just received the RFN-4s and I'm very impressed with it.
>Fits the D800 perfectly.
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PCDSBQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

How difficult is it to attach/remove the RFN-4s receiver to/from the D800?
I have an old Nikon MC-20 remote and it's a little fiddly to screw on and off.

Thanks...

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#33. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 32

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Thu 10-May-12 10:53 PM

I use a Phottix Strato II as a remote trigger for my off camera flash, It also comes with all the cables you need to use it as a remote shutter. It works perfect.

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/phottix-strato-ii-multi-5-in-1-wireless-trigger-receiver-only-nikon.html

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#34. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 11-May-12 11:14 AM

There's a new remote (at least I think it's new) called the Vello Freewave Plus. The range is said to be good but the recevier cable looks a bit fiddly to me.

http://mansurovs.com/vello-freewave-plus-wireless-remote-review

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753842-REG/Vello_RWII_N_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#35. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 32

Fri 11-May-12 01:09 PM

I have the MC-20 as well and the RFN-4s is easier to attach. The threaded knob is larger and easier to turn...but it's still a bit of a pain. I've always silently cursed Nikon every time I've had to attach any accessory to the 10 pin connector and try to turn the threads with my fat fingers.

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#36. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 35

Fri 11-May-12 04:43 PM

>I have the MC-20 as well and the RFN-4s is easier to attach.
>The threaded knob is larger and easier to turn...but it's
>still a bit of a pain. I've always silently cursed Nikon
>every time I've had to attach any accessory to the 10 pin
>connector and try to turn the threads with my fat fingers.

Good to know, thanks for the comment (as I have an MC-20 and am thinking about a wireless unit).

How does the antenna fare if you keep the receiver on the camera while stored and/or moved in and aout of a bag?

Thanks...

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

#37. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 36

Fri 11-May-12 05:39 PM

I think it would depend on your bag. In my case, my bag would hit right there so I remove it. If that's not a problem, I suppose it would be fine. The antenna is just about the same height as the view finder and the unit is nice and small.

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#38. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 37

Sat 12-May-12 03:18 AM

@RidgesPhoto - Thanks, I appreciate the info.
I'd kinda like something I could leave on and not worry about in the bag.
My MC-20 works alright, it's just fiddly to be putting it on and then taking it off all the time.

SoCal Dave

Marina del Rey, US
290 posts

#39. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 31

SoCal Dave Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 18-May-12 04:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendation - I love it!

Unlike the Nikon ML-L3 solution for wireless, this is RF not infrared meaning that all those madening times when the shutter would not go off are gone! It works 100% of the time.

And, unlike the ML-L3 (and others) there are no wires between the receiver and the camera body. It securely screws directly onto the ten pin.

Candidly being a no-name-brand I was not sure it would be a quality product - but I was very pleasantly surprised.

After looking at all the options I feel confident this was the best choice.

"Content is King"
www.davidvoss.500px.com

d800piccom

US
1 posts

#40. "RE: Wireless Shutter Release for D800??" | In response to Reply # 34

d800piccom Registered since 31st Jul 2012
Sat 18-Aug-12 04:50 PM

Now that these have been around for a time do folks just leave them on all the time?
Is it necessary to screw and unscrew with each use?
TIA

G