Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:18 PM

I just had to help Nikon Tech Support figure out a weird issue with my D800. It turned out to be a software problem with Nikon Transfer. All my JPEG files were reporting in View NX2 and Capture NX2 (vs 2.3.0) as 7360x4912 in size. All my RAW (NEF) files were reporting in as 1632x1080 (terribly undersized). I had upgraded both View NX2 and Capture NX2 to vs. 2.3.0, so I was completely confused and freaked out. Nikon tech support had never heard of the problem and wanted to research it. I was on hold for several minutes.

While he was researching I got to thinking. What in the chain of events affected the images? Then it occurred to me, I had not upgraded Nikon Transfer 1.5.3, which I used to transfer the images to my computer. When the tech came back with no solution, I told him I suspected that Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 didn't know how to transfer my files correctly. He told me that I should try the transfer utility built into View NX2. I had no idea View NX2 even had a transfer utility until the tech helped me find the giant TRANSFER button on the button bar. Once I used the transfer utility within View NX2, all was well.

The moral of the story. Upgrade ALL Nikon software when you get a new camera. Second moral: Use Nikon View NX2 to transfer files instead of the standalone Nikon Transfer Utility since it will be updated whenever Nikon View NX2 is updated.

Nikon Tech took notes on my problem and I'm sure the issue with the standalone Nikon Transfer will be fixed quickly. If any of you have a D800 and are seeing NEF files of 1632x1080, use View NX2 vs. 2.3.0 to transfer your files, instead.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."

outdoors4me

US
246 posts

#1. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

outdoors4me Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2009
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up Darrell. That will be one less issue to deal with when I get my 8.

BEck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#2. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:03 PM

That is odd. I am using Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 and I have had no problem. All the RAW files transfer as 7960x4912.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#3. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 2

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:39 PM

>That is odd. I am using Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 and I have had
>no problem. All the RAW files transfer as 7960x4912.

Very interesting! Of course, the native file size is 7360x4912. Was that just an error in what you typed?

I can't explain it, my Nikon Transfer vs.1.5.3 did not work properly after multiple transfers under Windows 7 Professional. It could very well be that my Nikon Transfer has a corruption in some way.

Maybe some others with a D800 could comment on this issue.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#4. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 25-Mar-12 01:51 PM

Sorry, you are right. They are all 7360x4912. I went through a bunch of them and they are all the same size. And no problem at all downloading with Nikon Transfer 1.5.3. It is, of course, a bit slower than with the D700 files and we all know why that is. But, not a problem.

DF/D810

MarkF

Northern Virginia area, US
195 posts

#5. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

MarkF Registered since 20th Dec 2005
Sun 29-Apr-12 12:23 AM

Darrell,

Thank you !

I had the same problem today, was totally puzzled, and this should fix it.

Mark

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

bobcooley

New York, US
30 posts

#6. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

bobcooley Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2009
Sun 29-Apr-12 07:46 PM

Darrel,

Ran into the same issue - posted about it here

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=41364&mesg_id=41364&page=4

I've run tests with 3 different brand cards in OSX, Win7, and WinXP Pro

Single file on SD/CF cards:
- Drag and drop
- transfer with Nikon Transfer NX 1.5.1, and
- transfer with Nikon Transfer NX2.

All exhibiting the same consistent corruption.

I called Nikon Pro Services about the issue last Monday, they seemed oblivious.

bobCooley
photographer | communicationsStrategist
nyc/miami

www.bobcooleyphoto.com

bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not BC Canad, US
9691 posts

#7. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 25th Oct 2004
Sat 05-May-12 02:29 AM

Darryl,

In decoding D800 NEF files for statistical analysis I noticed a new embedded JPG. I think the new JPG is a still frame that has to do with a video feature. Because of where they chose to store it, it would be easy for old software to use the 1632x1080 JPG instead of the full 7360x4912 JPG if you were asking to extract the JPG.
I wouldn't think this would affect the raw data, but perhaps the reporting would be thrown off.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at Photons To Photos

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#8. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 05-May-12 12:11 PM

Makes sense. However they did correct the problem with the transfer utility in View NX2 so they need to hurry up and correct the main Nikon Transfer program.

bclaff

9691 posts

#9. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 8

bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 25th Oct 2004
Sat 05-May-12 02:06 PM

Darryl,

I know we disagree on this advice.
I don't trust any program that modifies my files while transferring them.
That particularly includes Nikon Transfer. Over time there have been many bugs and I have helped more than one person recover file that were corrupted by Nikon Transfer.

Regards (and take care!),
Bill

bobcooley

New York, US
30 posts

#10. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 9

bobcooley Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2009
Mon 07-May-12 12:08 PM | edited Mon 07-May-12 12:09 PM by bobcooley

>Over time there
>have been many bugs and I have helped more than one person
>recover file that were corrupted by Nikon Transfer.
>
>Regards (and take care!),
>Bill

Bill,

Do you have thoughts on a way to fix the NEFs from the D800 that were transferred using NX1.x and now have been corrupted?

Thanks!

bobCooley
photographer | communicationsStrategist
nyc/miami

www.bobcooleyphoto.com

bclaff

9691 posts

#11. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 07-May-12 09:13 PM

Bob,

Do you have thoughts on a way to fix the NEFs from the D800 that were transferred using NX1.x and now have been corrupted?

If you have such a NEF file then contact me by email and I can look into it.

Regards,
Bill

photoman36

Wichita, US
15 posts

#12. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

photoman36 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2012
Fri 18-May-12 05:30 PM

Darrell
Try updating Capture NX2 to 2.3.2 that should solve your problem.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#13. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 12

Fri 18-May-12 05:43 PM

Thanks, Ronald.

I have upgraded both Capture and View NX2 to the latest versions. This post was started back in March, when I got my D800 and tried to transfer some files with Nikon Transfer 1.5.3.

To my knowledge (I haven't checked in a week or two) Nikon Transfer has not been updated from version 1.5.3 yet. Transfer was the problem, not View NX2 or Capture NX2.

GuisboroughTom

UK
5 posts

#14. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 9

GuisboroughTom Registered since 28th May 2012
Tue 29-May-12 07:33 AM

<snip>
>I don't trust any program that modifies my files while
>transferring them.
>That particularly includes Nikon Transfer. ...
>Bill

I'll second that. Had far too many problems over the years with transfer software so now dump all of my files to a folder on the hard drive via a USB3 card reader then start from there. Gives you the freedom to sort things how you want then as well.

Cheers,

Tom.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#15. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 13

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sat 09-Jun-12 01:41 PM | edited Sat 09-Jun-12 01:49 PM by Gromit44

>To my knowledge (I haven't checked in a week or two) Nikon
>Transfer has not been updated from version 1.5.3 yet.

Darrell - I think Transfer is being phased out as a standalone product since it's now integrated into View NX2.

View NX2 has Transfer 2.3.2 built in - that's probably what messed up your Transfer 1.5.3.

See http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/~/current-versions-of-nikon-software.

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#16. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Mon 11-Jun-12 02:05 PM

Add me to that Thank-you train Darrell. It's great to have such experts so close at hand! And as I told a recent acquaintance, there's no end of the value that Nikonians brings to the table, and why I regard it and the members as my go-to guys.

Thanks again,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#17. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 15

Mon 11-Jun-12 02:40 PM

>>To my knowledge (I haven't checked in a week or two)
>Nikon
>>Transfer has not been updated from version 1.5.3 yet.
>
>Darrell - I think Transfer is being phased out as a standalone
>product since it's now integrated into View NX2.
>
>View NX2 has Transfer 2.3.2 built in - that's probably what
>messed up your Transfer 1.5.3.
>
>See
>http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/~/current-versions-of-nikon-software.
>
>

That very well may be true, Simon. The one in View NX2 is constantly updated. Time will tell.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#18. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 16

Mon 11-Jun-12 02:43 PM

>Add me to that Thank-you train Darrell. It's great to have
>such experts so close at hand! And as I told a recent
>acquaintance, there's no end of the value that Nikonians
>brings to the table, and why I regard it and the members as my
>go-to guys.
>
>Thanks again,

Tom,

When I joined Nikonians in the year 2000 as a charter member, I was just switching over from film to digital. I was amazed at the number of people I found that were already using digital (Nikon D1) and could offer a lot of advice. I learned a lot from everyone over the years. If I am in any way an "expert" it is merely because of my association with experts on Nikonians. This place gradually makes one an expert. Massive information!

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#19. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 18

Sun 17-Jun-12 10:26 AM

Darrell,

Early in this thread I reported that I did not have this problem. That was true at that time. But, for some reason which is beyond my comprehension, I do have this problem. I can't figure out anything that I changed that would have caused it.

Now I am just transferring my files from the card to my hard drive using MS Explorer and then opening with ViewNX and there is no problem. Odd.

DF/D810

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#20. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 19

Sun 17-Jun-12 10:41 AM

>Early in this thread I reported that I did not have this
>problem. That was true at that time. But, for some reason
>which is beyond my comprehension, I do have this problem. I
>can't figure out anything that I changed that would have
>caused it.

You may have corrupted Transfer 1.5.3 by installing View NX2 (with Transfer 2.3.2) over the top of it - post 15 above.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#21. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 20

Sun 17-Jun-12 11:59 PM

I didn't know there was a Transfer 2.3.2. I'll have to find that and try it.

DF/D810

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#22. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 21

Mon 18-Jun-12 08:27 AM | edited Mon 18-Jun-12 08:36 AM by Gromit44

>I didn't know there was a Transfer 2.3.2.

It's built in to View NX2 - so if you've got View NX2 you've got Transfer 2 as well.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#23. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 22

Mon 18-Jun-12 03:39 PM

I found it. That is not "intuitive." I did download ViewNX2, but didn't realize that was in there.

Thanks

DF/D810

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#24. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 18-Jun-12 07:17 PM

Quite - I only found it by accident.

kenta

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#25. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 24

kenta Gold Member Nikonian since 17th May 2009
Mon 25-Jun-12 01:11 PM

I looked at all the forums to find one that addresses my problem.
I am guessing that it is a D800 issue, but not sure.
When I created a new album in my Nikonian gallery I found that
I could not move the jpegs as I have always done before, onto the
Nikonion Uploader. I highlighed the photo and dragged it to the Uploader
but it wouldn't stay put. I went up to my earlier photos with a D700
or my D3 and had no problem. I tried transferring them one at a time
and that worked with the D800 photos, but when they were posted
there was no way to click to enlarge photo available, so the photo
remained small and with macro it doesn't show the detail, etc.
Is this a pixel issue or are the files too big to move? It says somewhere on
the transfer page that no file can be over a certain size. I am not very good
with the technical area of this digital age, but I sure love what it can do.
I know the Nikonians have a lot of knowledge and I am so happy to be a
member. If I am in the wrong forum, let me know and I will move to the
appropriate one. Thanks in advance, Kenta

Kent Ancliffe

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#26. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 25

Tue 26-Jun-12 07:01 PM

Kenta,

What file size is the image you are trying to upload to Nikonians? They have strict file size limitations.

infamily

Petaluma, US
223 posts

#27. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 26

infamily Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2009
Sat 07-Jul-12 03:12 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover the files that have been transferred with Nikon transfer and shows up as low res files? Unfortunately I deleted them from memory card before I noticed. The files actually are 40 mb files but display as low res.
Thanks for your help.

Sandeep B
So much to learn, so little time.

visit
my Nikonians gallery.

grayphotog

US
6 posts

#28. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 1

grayphotog Registered since 13th May 2012
Sun 15-Jul-12 03:22 PM

>Thanks for the heads up Darrell. That will be one less issue
>to deal with when I get my 8.
>
>BEck

I just got my 8 and did not find this heads up until after I had the problem. It's funny how fast you have to learn when companies (NIKON) upgrade their software. Luckily I found this before I completely deleted pics that I could not work after transfers were complete. I did not even load VIEW because I had CAPTURE NX2 already loaded and updated. You would think that would be sufficient. Of course the first transfer was with PSE9 so I thought it was an ADOBE problem. I still have not found the fix that allows PSE9 to use the D800 files directly (as with my D200). Is there a fix for that or are we still stuck with using the DNG conversion?

rhyder

Palatine, IL, US
228 posts

#29. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

rhyder Basic Member
Fri 10-Aug-12 10:25 AM

I haven't used Nikon Transfer since I pgraded from my old Coolpix 5700. I use a card reader and just copy the files to one of my hard drives and open them from there. It's not only easier, but it's quicker too.

Hoodie

CA
2 posts

#30. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 29

Hoodie Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2007
Mon 10-Sep-12 02:25 PM

I'd like to say hello to all and admit that I am a little nervous as this is my first attempt to communicate on the Nikonian site even though I have belonged for a number of years. I have read the concerns about using the stand alone Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 which is the version I have on my computer as well. I have used it in the past to transfer files originally from my old D70 to Capture NX2 without any issues.
Recently I upgraded my camera to the D3s but have not transferred any images to Capture NX2 as of yet. I realize you are talking about your experiences with the D800 but the issue seemed the same and I didn't see anything concerning my own camera model and Transfer 1.5.3.
I'm sorry if I have been long-winded but my question is, should I remove the stand alone Transfer 1.5.3 from my computer and install ViewNX with built in Transfer or keep the stand alone Transfer version? To be honest I haven't tried to use it with my new camera files as I am no expert if things go wrong. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. Have a great day everyone.

Hoodie

RMIrish2012

US
3 posts

#31. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 30

RMIrish2012 Registered since 03rd Oct 2012
Sat 17-Nov-12 11:36 PM

just picked up my new D00, and attempted to transfer from the camera to the computer with Nikon Transfer. the files weren't right an remembered this noted from a bit back. loaded ViewNX and lo and behold all works great. Thanks!!!!!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#32. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 30

Thu 22-Nov-12 05:36 PM

>I'd like to say hello to all and admit that I am a little
>nervous as this is my first attempt to communicate on the
>Nikonian site even though I have belonged for a number of
>years. I have read the concerns about using the stand alone
>Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 which is the version I have on my
>computer as well. I have used it in the past to transfer files
>originally from my old D70 to Capture NX2 without any issues.
>
>Recently I upgraded my camera to the D3s but have not
>transferred any images to Capture NX2 as of yet. I realize you
>are talking about your experiences with the D800 but the issue
>seemed the same and I didn't see anything concerning my own
>camera model and Transfer 1.5.3.
>I'm sorry if I have been long-winded but my question is,
>should I remove the stand alone Transfer 1.5.3 from my
>computer and install ViewNX with built in Transfer or keep the
>stand alone Transfer version? To be honest I haven't tried to
>use it with my new camera files as I am no expert if things go
>wrong. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. Have a
>great day everyone.
>
>Hoodie

Hugh,

I have switched over to the transfer program built into View NX2. I uninstalled the standalone version. I've had no difficulties since.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#33. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 3

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:55 AM

Darrell,
The problem I had was my D800 downloaded my NEF files using Nikon Transfer 1.5.3. with no problem.
Then Capture NX2 opened automatically and I did my edits on a pic (NEF file).
The edits went OK but I could not save these NEF images.
I tried to 'Save As' with another title and had the same result.
If the pic was a JPEG or a TIFF, these were easily saved after edits.
So what the heck is going on here with NEF's not being able to be saved?

After reading your original post I downloaded View NX (the latest version) and tried transferring the same pics again from the D800 using View NX.
They too went fine, opened in Capture NX2 and after the edit I could now save the edited NEF!

Moral of the story...... Delete/remove the old Nikon Transfer program and use View NX to transfer images from a DS800 to a computer.
Perry

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7069 posts

#34. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 23-Dec-12 05:44 AM

If anyone still has any of the corrupted NEF files, there appears to be a fix
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

RSchussel

Vallejo, US
424 posts

#35. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 34

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008
Thu 10-Jan-13 11:19 PM

Bottom line
Get rid of Nikon Transfer and ViewNX.One way to tell its an old version is if below 2.0
Download ViewNX2. Inside ViewNX2 is a version of Nikon Transfer that works with the D800.
If Nikon Transfer won't work click on the Arrow lower right corner of the D800. Camera icon and it will ask whether you want to download from slot 1 or slot 2

Bob

kstrongs

St. Thomas, CA
75 posts

#36. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 27

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Sun 17-Feb-13 07:04 PM

>Does anyone know if there is a way to recover the files that
>have been transferred with Nikon transfer and shows up as low
>res files? Unfortunately I deleted them from memory card
>before I noticed. The files actually are 40 mb files but
>display as low res.
>Thanks for your help.
Sandisk has a recovery program that can recover the files from your memory card. I have used it before, even after you have formatted the card. Not sure how to correct the low res view problem.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#37. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 30

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Sun 17-Feb-13 07:38 PM

If it were me I would dump the old Transfer and download the ViewNX
I did that because I have a D800 but I think it is wise to update whenever possible.
And ViewNX is certainly an update and works better than the old Transfer.
Perry

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16917 posts

#38. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 27

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 18-Feb-13 12:20 AM

Here's information on methods for doing it. I can't vouch for it because I've never used any of the Nikon software to download images, so I never ran into the problem. Hope it helps.

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Glengarioch

Minden, DE
6 posts

#39. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 38

Glengarioch Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2006
Sat 21-Sep-13 02:45 PM

Saved my originals!I had JPEG's also, but some pictures needed RAW developing.
Great piece of software.
I was looking for something like that since may last year.
It's a shame Nikon never came up with a solution!

Thanks for posting!

make it a nice day

Glen

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
4993 posts

#40. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 30

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Tue 24-Sep-13 01:20 PM

I would install the latest ViewNX2 and not try to use Transfer 1.5.3. I haven't heard of problems with the D3s and Tr 1.5.3 but I think it would be safer to update to the latest version of ViewNX2. Incidentally if you haven't updated CNX2 you should do that also. If you're still using the version compatible with your D70 and haven't updated since the D3s was released, you won't be able to use CNX2.

Hope this helps. Incidentally in the future, I would suggest a new post for questions like this. With a long thread like this it's easy for your post to get lost.

John

GBaylis

Oakford, Devon, UK
607 posts

#41. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

GBaylis Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his generous and continuous sharing of his high level skills with the Nikonians community Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Articles. Nikonian since 12th Sep 2012
Tue 01-Oct-13 01:24 PM

Hi Darrell,

I had a similar problem to yours using Nikon Transfer, but I only noticed it when using Helicon Focus software (for focus stacking) which refused to work with the images from my (then, in May 2012) new D800. Previously with my D90 all was OK.

The folks at Helicon agreed that there was an issue with the image files but couldn't identify what was causing the problem.

Luckily I had just acquired a Kingston card reader to alleviate my frustration while waiting for the D800 to download a truckload of data and, voila, the problem with Helicon disappeared as soon as I started using the reader.

I reported the issue to Nikon UK but I've never tried newer versions of Transfer to see if it was fixed.

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my personal website: www.gbphotosandframing.co.uk

Hoodie

CA
2 posts

#42. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 32

Hoodie Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2007
Tue 04-Mar-14 02:31 PM

Thank you sharing that Darrell.

Hugh

bclaff

9691 posts

#43. "RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 06-Mar-14 04:23 AM

The moral of the story. Upgrade ALL Nikon software when you get a new camera.
Second moral: Use Nikon View NX2 to transfer files instead of the standalone Nikon Transfer Utility

I have found and reported multiple problems with Transfer in the past when inspecting corrupted files provided by Nikonians.

My advice is to transfer files without using any software that modifies the files in any way during transfer. I don't know if NX2 fits this criteria; Transfer definitely does not.

Regards,
Bill

G