Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Magnum164

US
106 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011
Fri 26-Apr-13 12:32 AM

I have been reading a few book, looking for info on the Shooting Banks/Custom Banks. I realize these settings are dependent on the type photography you do. Just curious if anyone would share how they use these settings? More specifically interested in the Custom banks. Seems it may be easier to setup for different Focusing situations, which for me is a weak spot as I very seldom change, but know I shoul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13762 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 26-Apr-13 12:03 AM

Take a look at the settings spread sheet and discussion in the link below.

D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 26-Apr-13 12:28 AM

Thanks, I new I had seen that before but was overlooking it.

Rondo5570

San Diego, US
365 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Rondo5570 Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 28-Apr-13 08:50 PM

Winston Hall also makes this info available on his website: www.tunerphotography.com. He also makes several other recommendations available on this site. Good information.

Ron

It's all about the light.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 28-Apr-13 08:56 PM

Thanks,

But unfortunately I do not see anything related on the site, and most of it is purchased. I am really looking for how others use the settings. The link on this site also breaks the settings down into Nature/Indoor whereas I am considering setting up for low light/HDR to be more specific in the settings.

Rondo5570

San Diego, US
365 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Rondo5570 Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 28-Apr-13 10:17 PM

When you go to Winston's site, click on the Downloads heading and it will take you to a free recommendation on how to set-up your custom settings menu for various types of photography. I didn't see anything there on HDR, but if you click on the Tutorials heading you will find a free download on his recommendations for HDR photography. Winston is on of the Nikonians workshop instructors and is a really good resource for information.

Ron

It's all about the light.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 28-Apr-13 10:33 PM

Thanks, looking at them now. I missed them in the download section.

winclk

philadelphia, US
119 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 6

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007
Mon 29-Apr-13 01:35 PM

I went to tuner photography.com and the link for the bin file doesn't work. Is there anyway I can get this file somewhere else?

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 29-Apr-13 07:08 PM

Does not as in? I did not use his bin, as I already have settings I do not want to replace.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1480 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Wed 01-May-13 03:58 PM | edited Wed 01-May-13 04:22 PM by jamesvoortman

I find that although the Japanese English in the camera manual is gramatically correct it tends to describe what each setting will do, but not how to use it in practice.

For example : read the section on Auto FP High Speed Sync flash (what a mouthful) and see if you can work out from this that it actually extends the duration of the flash and weakens it and that to freeze action at the highest possible shutter speed using flash, you should actually not use Auto FP High speed sync at all!!

What I'm saying is rather than collecting a bunch of bin files from others, it may serve you better to buy one or two of the aftermarket books on D800 and learn how each feature works and how to use it.

Referring here specifically to the AF system, Flash system, ISO adjustment system, Noise reduction settings, Active D lighting etc.

No matter how many bin files you collect you can only ever load 4 banks of settings into each of two menus giving up to 16 possible combinations, not all of which will be useful. So you will inevitably find, during a session, that you need to make some changes that may not have been pre-programmed into one of your other banks. So it is useful to know how all the settings work. I will grant that it may be useful at first, to simply spend some months just using the camera as is to get familiar with it...and then start researching the subtleties.

The Custom Settings menu affects what happens in the light path upstream of the sensor (i.e. focussing, flash, exposure and controls). The Shooting Settings Menu affects what happens to the data generated by the sensor (i.e. how it is processed).

There are several different ways of setting up the menu banks.
1) the conventional way is to identify genres that you like using, such as; Landscape, Portrait, Sport, Wildlife, Photojournalism, Macro etc. then choose 4 and make settings appropriate to each in both the Custom Settings and Shooting menus. When doing a shoot you select the appropriate bank in each menu and start shooting . this means that you normally shoot bank A in Custom Settings with bank A in Shooting Settings. This approach gives 4 cameras in one. However, lighting levels will differ in shoots of the same genre and you may find that you are making frequent adjustments to settings like ADL, HINR, LENR, WB, Auto ISO and so on to optimise the camera to the conditions of each location.....which leads to method 2....

2) In my D800 I have currently set up the Shooting Menu banks to respond to different lighting levels and support types. Hence I now have Bank A = Bright+Handheld, B = Dim+handheld, C = Bright+tripod, D = Dim+tripod. In the Custom Settings Menu I do the normal thing and set the banks up for my favourite Genres of Landscapes, Wildlife, Snapshots and Macro. This approach gives theoretically 16 different combinations so it is more flexible than method 1) above but not all of the combinations are useful ( e.g. Dim+Handleld pushes up ISO to maintain shutter speed in poor light and it can be noisy - so it is inappropriate for Landscapes) . I am still fine tuning this approach and have not fully settled on the optimum bank settings for my typical usage. Today I bought a long lens for wildlife.....and this gave me an idea for a 3rd method....

3) I am considering setting up my banks to respond to my individual lenses and lighting conditions. So instead of setting up my Custom Settings Menu for Genres such as landscape, portrait etc I am thinking to make a custom setting bank for each of my most frequently used lenses. In my case these are a UWA zoom, a general purpose zoom, a macro and a tele. This method is still conceptual and I have not worked it out fully in my mind yet.

the D800 settings spreadhseet anchored at the top of this forum is a good place to start. You can open it up and start playing with groups of settings and save them for further development. Going one by one through the list helps me to get familiar with all the options available, and this helps a lot in the field when you want to change something.

Finally : What I would really like to see, in a firmware update, is a system with 8 banks instead of 4 in each of the Custom Settings and Shooting Settings menus. Then we wouldn't have to be so picky. If I had 8 banks in Shooting Settings I would add banks called Jpeg snapshots, HDR, Flash and Snow. In Custom Settings I would add a dedicated bank for my new long lens and some additional Genres like portraiture and sports

I hope my ramblings give some ideas to think about.

Visit

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 9

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 04-May-13 12:21 AM

"I find that although the Japanese English in the camera manual is gramatically correct it tends to describe what each setting will do, but not how to use it in practice."

Well said!

Rob Manning

Rob_ZN

Durban, ZA
108 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 9

Rob_ZN Registered since 23rd Dec 2012
Sat 04-May-13 05:13 AM

Thanks for the ramblings. Being new to the D800, they definitely help in showing how things can be set to work together.
So far I've only set up Bank A but you've given me ideas for the others.

Rob

PhotoSpydie

Buckeye, US
226 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 3

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Sat 04-May-13 11:43 AM

Checked out Winston's site last week. What a treasure!! Purchased his HDR tutorials/video and have watched them several times. He is an excellent teacher. I highly recommend him.

Carol
photospydie.com

PhotoSpydie

Buckeye, US
226 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 9

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Sat 04-May-13 11:54 AM

Thanks for these insights. I attended Mike Hagen's class on going further with the D800/800e and have the excel spreadsheet cards with some recommendations for setting up the camera. These are very useful as a start and I finally feel like I have an understanding of what the setting does and when to use it (Thanks Mike!!). However, I don't shoot portraits very often so I decided to use one of my banks for HDR and am using Winston's tutorials on HDR and his camera settings recommendations. This is great fun and each discovery leads to a smile and a recognition that I still have lots of questions. LOTS of questions!!!

Carol
photospydie.com

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 04-May-13 01:53 PM

Thanks, unfortunately I have not had time to understand this, rambling is correct:)

G