Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FutureFocus Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Wed 17-Apr-13 01:03 AM

Please share the first four digits of your serial numbers if you purchased a D-800 in the past several weeks.

I just received one this afternoon and suspect that the unit I took delivery of was aging and was old stock based on the serial number.

Your input and data will help me confirm that.

Thanks in advance.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#1. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 16-Apr-13 11:16 PM | edited Tue 16-Apr-13 11:18 PM by ScottChapin

500xxxx

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

#2. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 16-Apr-13 11:30 PM

Isn't that a non - US serial number or an "E" S/N?

Curious.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#3. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 2

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 16-Apr-13 11:35 PM | edited Tue 16-Apr-13 11:39 PM by ScottChapin

Nope. I got it from B&H in late February. It has a USA warranty form with the serial number printed on it and it has been registered with Nikon. It is a D-800. There is also a (U) after the model number above the UPC, identifying it as USA.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#4. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 17-Apr-13 01:53 AM

My D800, received from B&H last Wednesday, starts with 306xxxx.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#5. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 17-Apr-13 01:25 PM

This is all very weird. Mine is 500xxxx and all indications are that it's a USA unit. I would be curious as to the difference. My box says mine was made in Japan with some accessories made in China. I wonder if that is the difference.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#6. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 5

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:31 PM

I would not count on serial numbers necessarily corresponding to production dates.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#7. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 17-Apr-13 02:34 PM

I wouldn't either, but 5xxxxxx vs 3xxxxxc?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#8. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 7

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:39 PM

If a D600 can be a newer model camera than a D700....

Mick
or

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#9. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 17-Apr-13 02:48 PM

Yes, except serial numbers should be sequential from the same factory unless they designate a different series in some way. I would be curious as to whether 30xxxxx cameras are made in Japan. Maybe there is a factory difference.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#10. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 9

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Wed 17-Apr-13 03:27 PM

Or perhaps it was originally made for sale in other than the US but was shifted due to demand or lack therof. Many possible explanations.

Nikon's numbering is a path to madness.

Brian

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#11. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 17-Apr-13 03:30 PM

That makes potential sense.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

#12. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 17-Apr-13 03:34 PM

Agree with Brian.

I read somewhere that those with starting with 5's were not intended to be sold in the states but Canada/outside US.

It's very possible some were rechanneled here for US consumption for whatever reason.

Right or wrong it's anybody's guess.

Ray Gerke

winnipeg, CA
633 posts

#13. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004
Wed 17-Apr-13 03:41 PM

I have a feeling we have done this all before with the D2Hs and we concluded the serial number has nothing to do with how recently the camera was made.
My D800 is 500XXXX and I cannot remember exactly when I got it but it was one of the first in Canada.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#14. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 17-Apr-13 03:53 PM

Where was it made? That might be significant, but then, maybe all are made in Japan.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#15. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 17-Apr-13 03:59 PM

My understanding is that they are all made at Sendai in Japan. There may be more than one production line which produce different serial number series.

Mick
or

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#17. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Wed 17-Apr-13 04:01 PM | edited Wed 17-Apr-13 04:09 PM by Leonard62

Mine has ser# 3048xxx received 45 days ago from Adorama. It is a brand new unit with zero shutter actuations when received. It does not have any left or other AF sensor problems.

The large white label on the box says
D800 (U)
Camera made in Japan
Strap and USB cable made in China

Len

Ray Gerke

winnipeg, CA
633 posts

#18. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004
Wed 17-Apr-13 04:40 PM | edited Wed 17-Apr-13 04:44 PM by Ray Gerke

I just checked and mine was made in Japan. (serial number 500XXXX) and I got it in late June 2012.

when the D800 was released Nikon announced that the D800 would be made in Japan (Sendai factory) and assume that is still correct.

Anyway for the purpose of the original poster I think all the above answers conclude that you cannot tell how old your D800 is by the serial number.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#19. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 17-Apr-13 05:48 PM

Ah, OK, I didn't know they were all made in Japan. That means Thom's references to serial numbers and the correction of the left focus issue are all inconclusive.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

henryp

New York, US
148 posts

#20. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

henryp Basic Member
Wed 17-Apr-13 06:24 PM

>I just received one this afternoon and suspect that the unit I
>took delivery of was aging and was old stock based on the
>serial number.

Email me - henrypbhphoto.com and include your B&H order number.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

#21. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 20

Wed 17-Apr-13 06:53 PM

Sir,

I will do just that.

I just finished having a conversation with Shawn in Customer Service.

Apologize for any inconvenience to yourself and staff.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13748 posts

#22. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 15

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Wed 17-Apr-13 07:38 PM

I agree - I am pretty sure that all D800's are made at the Sendai plant.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

JohnInsa

Bedfordview, ZA
32 posts

#23. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

JohnInsa Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2009
Thu 18-Apr-13 06:43 AM

Not sure if this helps aat all, but my serial #'s start 990 and these D800's were purchased in South Africa in December last year

henryp

New York, US
148 posts

#24. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 21

henryp Basic Member
Thu 18-Apr-13 11:58 AM | edited Thu 18-Apr-13 11:59 AM by henryp

>Apologize for any inconvenience to yourself and staff.

No inconvenience. Always happy to assist. The camera you received does have serial number 304####. It was brand new when shipped to you and shipped to you exactly as we received it from Nikon USA. It was shipped from our Brooklyn warehouse which means it was never in our Manhattan store and never handled by a sales associate or customer there.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

#25. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 24

Thu 18-Apr-13 12:14 PM

Henry,

Please, will all due respect!

The serial number on the very bottom of the d-800 is 304xxxx.

Do you want me to send you a picture as proof?

Doesn't anybody think I know what I'm doing?

The product registration card has the same number.

Bruce

henryp

New York, US
148 posts

#26. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 25

henryp Basic Member
Thu 18-Apr-13 12:19 PM

>Henry,
>The serial number on the very bottom of the d-800 is 304xxxx.

And I wrote, "The camera you received does have serial number 304####." Since we both say it's 304#### there's no discrepancy.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#27. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 23

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Thu 18-Apr-13 01:08 PM

The first part of the serial number identifies the market area the original distributor of the camera. 3 or maybe 30 is the US. It appears that 99 my be South Africa.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#28. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 27

Thu 18-Apr-13 01:46 PM

I don't know if that holds up. Mine is US and is 50xxxxx, and apparently some in Canada are the same.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#29. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 9

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 18-Apr-13 01:50 PM

Do you have the camera with 300xxxx serial?
If you do just look at the label and it should answer your question.
BTW, I have 300xxxx serial and mine was one of the first cameras bought in US and it does not have left focus problem. It did have -15 to -20 focus adjustment problem which was taken care off to -5.
It does however have green LCD problem even after the latest firmware.
As far as I know all top of the line cameras made in Japan.
All accessories made in China.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#30. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 18-Apr-13 01:59 PM | edited Thu 18-Apr-13 02:00 PM by InsaneO

>Yes, except serial numbers should be sequential from the same
>factory unless they designate a different series in some way.
>I would be curious as to whether 30xxxxx cameras are made in
>Japan. Maybe there is a factory difference.

Sequential or not I don't think there should be 2 cameras with the same serial number. The reason here because after 304xxxx there are only 4 digits. As far as I know Nikon D800 selling like hot cakes so they should sell more than 9999 cameras with 304xxxx. That means 3059999 and 3069999 and so on.
This is kind of strange because I though they are making 10K cameras per month and even if they started with 300xxxx it should be more like 312xxxx by now if my math serves me right.

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

#31. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 30

Thu 18-Apr-13 02:06 PM

I wholeheartedly concur with that logic.

I've read serial numbers online what said to be 310xxxx.

304xxxx is old at this point in time.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#32. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 31

Thu 18-Apr-13 02:13 PM

The age of manufacture should not matter. A new camera is a new camera.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

MTP1

Waxahachie, US
33 posts

#33. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 28

MTP1 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2009
Thu 18-Apr-13 03:58 PM

Mine D800E is 300XXXX. Bought it at the end of December 2012. No problems with the camera.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#34. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 32

Thu 18-Apr-13 05:15 PM

>The age of manufacture should not matter. A new camera is a
>new camera.

Just because manufacturers tell you about firmware updates the do not tell you all of the hardware revisions they implement during the life of the product. Jest take a look at computer motherboards. There are many revision not just the BIOS but the hardware too by the time it ends its life cycle. That is happening because we are beta testers who report all of the bugs to the manufacturers and some things can be fixed in firmware and some have to be fixed in firmware. And some even require recalls. since cameras are not life threatening product you will not see as many recalls as cars but they do happen. One such recall happened with Nikon D1 or D1x (don't remember which)for a faulty capacitor (I think) that was responsible for denim pattern like banding at high ISO.

So, yes, newly manufactured camera should be better.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#35. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 33

Thu 18-Apr-13 05:21 PM

>Mine D800E is 300XXXX. Bought it at the end of December 2012.
>No problems with the camera.

Nikon said that for every 10 D800s there is only one D800e.
So if Nikon sells 100,000 D800s (which does not look like it if the current serial starts with 306 ) don't expect D800e number to increase to 301 any time soon. Which leads me to believe that whole production of D800/D800e could reach 330,000 units before the whole number scheme will change, again if my math is correct.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#36. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 34

Thu 18-Apr-13 08:40 PM

I've not heard of such with the D800. Nikon would recall them if it were not something they could handle under warranty. The camera should be tested to the user's satisfaction. It is a new camera. If the left focus has no issue, he should be fine.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#37. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 35

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Thu 18-Apr-13 10:38 PM

My D800 is a month old refurbished body with a 3004xxx serial number, made in Japan.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#38. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 37

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Thu 18-Apr-13 10:54 PM

FWIW, my D800 starts with 300xxxx purchased on Mar-23-2012 from Best Buy B&M store.

No left AF issue, no green tint issue. It just works.

Pravin.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#39. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Fri 19-Apr-13 05:16 AM

D800s
3015XXX purchased last May
3012XXX purchased last month

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

mathjak107

bayside queens, US
474 posts

#40. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 39

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006
Fri 19-Apr-13 07:01 AM | edited Fri 19-Apr-13 07:01 AM by mathjak107

got my d800 last month at berger

3065***

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/browse

paulfree17

Montville, US
132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#41. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 39

paulfree17 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2009
Fri 19-Apr-13 07:39 AM

I purchased mine at the end of March in New Jersy and the serial nmber is 3065***

<a href="http://www.pfotos-by-pfreedman.com/photo" target=_blank>Pfotos-By-PFreedman</a>

byvini

UK
28 posts

#42. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Fri 19-Apr-13 08:42 AM

I bought mine in the UK and it also came with preset date and time and English as the language set.
Did a quick test and everything is fine (although there is a oil spot, but that doesn't bother me).

just go and enjoy your camera.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#43. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 42

Fri 19-Apr-13 09:17 AM

Welcome to Nikonians, Vinicios!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

jjmirenzi

Dupont, US
152 posts

#44. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

jjmirenzi Registered since 31st May 2012
Fri 19-Apr-13 04:04 PM | edited Fri 19-Apr-13 04:06 PM by jjmirenzi

just purchased a refurb demo d800 from adorama with 375 acutations. Serial 305972. No focus issues either.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#45. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 42

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Sat 20-Apr-13 12:01 AM

Don't pick English as the language; select American. Then you don't get all those weird spellings. (okay, okay. Just kidding)

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#46. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 28

Sat 20-Apr-13 03:00 AM

>I don't know if that holds up. Mine is US and is 50xxxxx, and
>apparently some in Canada are the same.

No, yours is not USA. Yours is Canada and technically Gray Market.
Your registration means absolutely nothing. Registration is for the company to know where to send you promotional material. Same thing for the warranty cards. Means absolutely nothing.
Now that is the rules. But some rules can be bent. As long as you bought the camera from B&H with receipt that does not say Gray Market Nikon will honor the warranty. If push comes to shove you can always send it to B$H for warranty repairs.
To get warranty repairs in US you need receipt from an authorized dealer and nothing else. And sometimes using receipt from any dealer in US works too but it would be at Nikon discretion.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#47. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 46

Sat 20-Apr-13 06:09 AM

Nö, you need to read all of my posts. I have a yellow warranty card wit the serial number and USA on it. The box has the serial number on it and (U) above the UPC. It's definitely not gray market. Perhaps Nikon did this to keep up with demand.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#48. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 46

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 20-Apr-13 07:16 AM

>No, yours is not USA. Yours is Canada and technically Gray
>Market.

I'm afraid the serial number is simply not an infallible guide - as Scott says, some cameras with a "5------" serial have been sold through official channels in the USA, and we've seen other instances over the years.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13748 posts

#49. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sat 20-Apr-13 07:58 PM

I just received my D800 from B&H yesterday.

SN is 306xxxx

Battery Icon was blinking (indicating that the clock battery was dead and the clock was reset) the date was January 2012 – time was 2100 – time zone was set the Greenwich Mean Time.

Shutter count was 0.

Firmware was A:1.oo B:1.o1 and L1.006 - I have installed the newest firmware A:1.o1 B:1.o2 and L1.006

The first push of the menu button brought up the SETUP MENU - I was not prompted to set the language or the time/date.

The camera is new and appears to function perfectly - quick testing indicates that there are no issues with the left (or any other) focus point.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

byvini

UK
28 posts

#50. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 49

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Sun 21-Apr-13 07:50 AM

Mine also had the battery blinking.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#51. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sun 21-Apr-13 08:33 PM

Just bought mine today and it is serial number 3039XXX. It also didn't have the May 29, 2012 firmware update in it, so it must have been on the shelf a long time and still had shutter count 1 after my first picture.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

MauiKane

KIHEI, HI, US
287 posts

#52. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 51

MauiKane Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2013
Sat 27-Apr-13 12:40 AM

Bought my D800 from Crutchfield in Feb 2013, serial # begins with 304xxx. USA warranty.

jrjury

Emsworth, UK
5 posts

#53. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 52

jrjury Registered since 30th Sep 2013
Tue 01-Oct-13 10:10 AM

D800E purchased in UK 600xxxx

gfinlayson

Maidenhead, UK
244 posts

#54. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 53

gfinlayson Registered since 24th Jan 2011
Tue 01-Oct-13 02:43 PM

D800 purchased last week in UK S/N 611XXXX. Latest firmware was on it straight out of the box.

Graeme

dagoldst

Little Rock, US
3093 posts

#55. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 34

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012
Tue 01-Oct-13 05:01 PM

>>The age of manufacture should not matter. A new camera is
>a
>>new camera.
>
>Jest take a look at computer
>motherboards.

As I understand it, Nikon does not build that way. They commit to x amount of parts to produce their camera models and build their sparing, buy in volume, and of a given model, are all the same, part for part.

David

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof " - Carl Sagan

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#56. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 49

drakonian Registered since 18th Jul 2013
Wed 02-Oct-13 12:30 AM

Got mine from B&H last month. Serial number is 3076xxx

Visit my website at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/

driffert

Newburgh, US
161 posts

#57. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 56

driffert Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2007
Wed 02-Oct-13 10:15 AM

Purchased D800 from B&H on 9-11-13. Serial number 3075xxx

Denny Riffert
Newburgh, IN
Nikon D800 & D80
My Nikonians Gallery
My website

FlikFlok

Port Elgin, CA
1 posts

#58. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

FlikFlok Registered since 02nd Oct 2013
Wed 02-Oct-13 01:10 PM

I am a new Nikonian.

Purchased my D800 on Aug 24,2013 with a Serial No. of 5011xxx
Purchased in London Ontario, Canada. At Camera Canada.

Believe it or not, I've noticed an awfull lot of "Spots" in the upper left corner of sky shots. Eerily similar to the D600 issue.
And I would not atribute them to Dust.
However i'm sure that's for another topic.

Enjoy!
Brad
www.bradconnolly.com
http://tinyurl.com/FlikFlok

factotum

US
342 posts

#59. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007
Wed 02-Oct-13 01:43 PM

Mine is a 301* and was purchased refurbished from Cameta just before xmas 2012

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#60. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 58

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Wed 02-Oct-13 05:04 PM

Hi Brad,

Welcome to Nikonians, and to the D800 forum!!

Here's a link to a D800 thread on sensor cleaning that may be helpful for the possibility you might have some dust on your sensor that needs cleaning.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20394&mesg_id=20394&page=

Thanks for your post, and congratulations for purchasing the D800. It is an amazing camera, and you made a great choice!!!

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

audiophileman2002

Clarksville, US
1990 posts

#61. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 60

audiophileman2002 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013
Wed 02-Oct-13 05:09 PM

Congratulations on your purchase!

Mine is 30500XX purchased 1/3/13.

Rod
Clarksville, MD

ClassicNikonF

Concord, US
71 posts

#62. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

ClassicNikonF Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013
Thu 03-Oct-13 01:36 AM

Mine is an 800E with SN 3011xxx purchased 2/2013 from ABT in Chicago.

hamjam

Lincoln, US
256 posts

#63. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 62

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008
Thu 03-Oct-13 01:55 PM

Mine is a D800 purchased a couple of weeks ago from a local camera store and begins with 307xxx

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

SCC322

US
6 posts

#64. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

SCC322 Registered since 27th Aug 2013
Fri 04-Oct-13 01:00 PM

Serial number begins with 307xxxx - purchased from B&H about a week ago.

photog2104

CA
2 posts

#65. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 64

photog2104 Registered since 07th Jun 2013
Fri 04-Oct-13 07:36 PM

Bought mine in Canada - Vistek - September 2012 S/N 5002XXX
So those with S/N starting 5 could be originally Canadian models.

MichaelJGlo

Cleveland, US
5 posts

#66. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 65

MichaelJGlo Registered since 01st Oct 2013
Sat 05-Oct-13 08:10 PM

Got a D800E from B&H 10/4/13, S/N 3015XXX

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#67. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 66

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Sun 06-Oct-13 12:10 PM | edited Sun 06-Oct-13 12:20 PM by mikesrc

Mine was the first D800 camera sold in OKC on opening day last year. Serial is 30015XX. No green LCD no focus problems at all. It's as perfect as can be. Go to my gallery and look at Flowers 2012 there all done with this camera. Look at the bee and butterfly crop. When you can see the hair on a bee's butt it got to be pretty good!!!

gforeman

Winchester, US
239 posts

#68. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 0

gforeman Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004
Thu 10-Oct-13 08:57 PM

I just received my D800 on 10/8/2013 wish SN: 3073XXX

G-Man

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#69. "RE: Attn: New purchasers: Please share serial number" | In response to Reply # 68

Skyco Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Sat 12-Oct-13 12:21 AM

My D800 serial number is 3029xxx received last July 2012... just for historical reference....

What is the point of this thread??? The D800/e is the most awesome DSLR to show up in the last year and I'm guessing for some time to come.

Take your D800/e out and shoot the hell out of it - it is built to take that. The D800/e is not a point and shoot camera. Be intentional about your photography. The D800 will reward you with great photos when taken well - and punish poor or sloppy handling techniques.

Get a good book on the D800/E such as Darrell Young's "Mastering the NikonD800"

I'm trying to figure out what this thread was all about and I hope I gave good answer...

Well Wishes,

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

G