Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any comments about the new firmware version?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 02-Apr-13 10:49 AM | edited Tue 02-Apr-13 11:02 AM by km6xz

I downloaded the latest version from Nikon USA and experimenting now.
The lock on and tracking behavior seems more sure footed. with less focus dot flashing when holding the release half way or in "AF-on only" mode, which is how I always start AF.
I feel there is a difference in AF locking and tracking.
Any observations?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jchoong

Petaling Jaya, MY
11 posts

#1. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

jchoong Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2008
Tue 02-Apr-13 10:35 AM

>Any observations?
>Stan

Don't seem to work for D800E or I had not done it right

Choong

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#2. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 1

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 02-Apr-13 10:44 AM

In what way is it not working? Did you attempt the update and it did not update or the camera has become inoperative? The most common problem with past updates was when copying the BIN file to the card, that the file has to be sitting at the root of the card, not in any directory.
How large is the BIN file. It should be a little over 15mb
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#3. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 1

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 02-Apr-13 10:50 AM

The D800 and D800e have separate update files. Make sure you downloaded the correct one.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

jchoong

Petaling Jaya, MY
11 posts

#4. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 3

jchoong Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2008
Tue 02-Apr-13 11:05 AM

Thanks Stan and Gary

Found the correct D800E version and updated

Will wait for dawn to try out

Choong

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 07-Apr-13 12:17 PM

Now showing:
A 1.01
B 1.02
L 1.004

Took several minutes to upload to D800
Strange considering it only takes 1/8000 second to take a picture
and about one second for the camera to process it.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#6. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Sun 07-Apr-13 02:23 PM

I have to agree, the focus seems to be much more accurate than before. But haven't exercised it too hard yet.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#7. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 5

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Sun 07-Apr-13 03:49 PM

You need to update L too, it supposed to be 1.006.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#8. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 07-Apr-13 05:09 PM

I've started to wonder if because of the AF firmware change we should be rechecking our AF fine tune settings.

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#9. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 07-Apr-13 05:48 PM

>You need to update L too, it supposed to be 1.006.<Quote<<<

And where the L do you get it?

I downloaded F-D800-V102W.exe which gave me only D800_0102.bin

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#10. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 07-Apr-13 06:43 PM

The L firmware is lens distortion correction. It is the same for all cameras that support it. The link to the distortion correction it at the far right of the firmware download table heading on the Nikon USA firmware download page.

The distortion correction is only used to produce JPG and TIF files along with the JPG imbedded in the NEF. It does not affect camera operation or the RAW data.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#11. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 10

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Mon 08-Apr-13 07:06 PM | edited Mon 08-Apr-13 10:17 PM by GaryPk

HI. While my A & B Firmware needs updating my L already was at 1.006.
Apparently some of the later D800e's came with that update. I did not have a focus issue.

Gary

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#12. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 08-Apr-13 10:24 PM

L 1.006 has been available since July 2012, so it should have been factory installed in many D800 and D800e cameras.

Richcower

US
323 posts

#13. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 8

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Tue 09-Apr-13 12:45 PM

I had it installed for about a week on my D800, I haven't seen anything they broke.

It might be me, but the shutter has a different sound to it with the new FW. Less of a ring to it and is quite a bit less noisy. Anyone else notice this?

Richcower

US
323 posts

#14. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 09-Apr-13 12:45 PM

I had it installed for about a week on my D800, I haven't seen anything they broke.

It might be me, but the shutter has a different sound to it with the new FW. Less of a ring to it and is quite a bit less noisy. Anyone else notice this?

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#15. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 14

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Tue 09-Apr-13 01:41 PM

Okay, this could be just me

- faster focusing
- faster virtual horizon detection
- camera seems lighter...<pause 10 seconds>...okay thats just a joke!

~Kam

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#16. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 09-Apr-13 01:51 PM

Whatever may have changed seems so subtle that I haven't noticed any significant change. I haven't tried any fast action shots yet, so if focusing is faster, I have not had a chance to see it yet.

I was happy with my D800e before, and remain so after the update.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

#17. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 16

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Tue 09-Apr-13 11:43 PM

My D800e's were fine before and they seem fine after. The AF in AF-C mode seems better to me. The lens fine tune stayed the same after the update. I did verify several lenses with the Dot-tune method and they tuned to the same value.

My cameras have always focused well in low light and still do. There was a rumor about added additional noise in high ISO shots, but I did a test from ISO 100 to ISO Hi 1 and everything looked real good when printed out to ISO 6400 and in the ISO Hi category, functional.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#18. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 15

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 10-Apr-13 12:08 AM

Kam,

You remind me of when I was a boy and my friend's dad had a gas station. A lady drove in, saying her car was harder to start this morning and would he check the air in her tires.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#19. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 18

Wed 10-Apr-13 12:14 AM

i once told a friend to save their Word document in a smaller font to save disk space...

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#20. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 19

avisys Basic Member
Wed 10-Apr-13 06:25 PM

A woman came by to examine a car I had for sale. Her decision question: "How much does it cost to fill the tank?"

AviSys

opus45

US
1 posts

#21. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 17

opus45 Registered since 05th Jan 2013
Wed 10-Apr-13 08:53 PM

I installed the new firmware version on my 800 last week and the camera continues to run fine. Thankfully, I had not been experiencing the focusing issues reported in this blog by so many. Interestingly, I bought this camera as Nikon refurbished equipment, as I did the D300 I own, and both have worked flawlessly from the beginning. Beginner's luck perhaps?

I will continue to run the 800 through its paces and report any anomalies here.

Richcower

US
323 posts

#22. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 11-Apr-13 01:10 PM

I'm new here, hope humor is ok.

I can't take credit for this, found it over on Dpreview by Shortcents

So far as I know this only applies to the D800 and D800e firmware release.

1) Shutter actuation sound level reduced by 21%

2) Maximim FPS with grip is now 4.1 FPS

3) Camera will now auto-recognise lenses at a distance, prior to mounting

4) CF cards will now fit into SD card slot

5) Camera will now appear dark grey in some lighting

6) LCD Sepia, Magenta and plaid tint modes added

7) Camera is .09 ounces lighter

8) Camera will now accept direct RS232 interface for use with dot matrix printers

9) Blutooth mode allows camera to take (local) calls

10) VR now in-camera. When combined with VRII you get 24 stops.

11) Camera can now be set to 11

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#23. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 22

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Thu 11-Apr-13 02:08 PM

WOW, this is a lot more fun that "I hate Nikon because my camera will not focus on the left" ....

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#24. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 23

Thu 11-Apr-13 03:24 PM

Actually, the new firmware has a setting to turn on and off the left issue...

One feature not mentioned was the enhancement to the built in strobe. You can now dial what Nikon calls "Shadow Mode", where it actually throws a shadow in lieu of light to darken scenes. BRILLIANT I say!

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#25. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 15

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 11-Apr-13 03:46 PM

>Okay, this could be just me
>
>- faster focusing

I don't know how you describe faster focusing but I know my camera got better in low light focus acquisition. In fact it is on the par now with canon 5D III so those who ran reviews between these two cameras and stated that 5D III is better should shut up now.
In fact even most left and right AF points got faster and more precise too. No more OOF shots in low light.
Other than that I don't see anything gotten better. My problem of slow writing with CF and SD cards in place is still there.

mvsoske

Brevard, US
67 posts

#26. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 24

mvsoske Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005
Thu 11-Apr-13 03:47 PM

>One feature not mentioned was the enhancement to the built in
>strobe. You can now dial what Nikon calls "Shadow
>Mode", where it actually throws a shadow in lieu of light
>to darken scenes. BRILLIANT I say!
>

Ok, that got me laughing out loud!

Mark

Visit www.markvsoskephotography.com.

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#27. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Thu 11-Apr-13 04:32 PM

OK, back to a (serious) question. NPS identifies capabilities/topics addressed in the FW update. What has your experience shown - have other items been included in these updates that did not make the list?

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#28. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Fri 12-Apr-13 10:44 AM | edited Fri 12-Apr-13 10:55 AM by ljordan316

I installed the updates as soon as they were available. I have shot BIF for at least four hours since doing the update, My AF was incredibly fast with the 200-400mm f/4 with the old firmware. If it is faster after the update, I cannot see the difference. I think you would have to measure the difference with a meter or some electronic equipment tied to the camera. Eyeballing the difference would just be a guess.

The first eight images at the following link were shot with the new firmware and the ones after the first eight were shot with the old firmware:
http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/Animals/Florida-Wildlife/13940239_x8VjnW#!i=2452743328&k=swwHTQK

Can you tell the difference?

I am still elated with my keeper rate with the D800e. I ran my monthly critique session at the gallery yesterday. In that session, I put seven of my own images up on the large-screen TV. I could hear the jaws drop every time one of my images went on, and two of the images were 10-15% of the original frames before cropping.

I could also hear the teeth grinding in the group...always a good sound to hear when your own images goes up! (I love to torture Canon shooters.)

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Bo_Nydahl

Walsall, UK
6 posts

#29. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 28

Bo_Nydahl Registered since 02nd May 2011
Fri 12-Apr-13 12:31 PM

Larry,

Superb photos! I think the first eight loaded faster.

Keep up the canon torture.

Best regards

Mike

Timbo1961

Pickering, ON, CA
60 posts

#30. "Any noticeable improvement on LCD colour tint?" | In response to Reply # 29

Timbo1961 Registered since 08th Oct 2008
Sun 14-Apr-13 01:03 AM

There was one of the points in the FW release notes that mentioned something about the colour gamut of the LCD screen.
There has been talk about the D800 having a green tint. Mine was a very early model (nr 289) and seemed fine. Anyone notice an improvement or change in the screen? Nikon may parse it in technicalities to save face and not have to admit an error.
Just curious...
Tim

TimMcGillPhotography and TMStudios

www.timmcgillphotography.com
or
www.timmcgillportraits.com

Sports, Events, Gigs, Beauty, Fashion, Glamour, and Boudoir

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#31. "RE: Any noticeable improvement on LCD colour tint?" | In response to Reply # 30

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sun 14-Apr-13 06:49 PM

There is another D800/E firmware update thread where Rick Walker discusses this update

• Gamut for Adobe RGB images displayed in the camera’s monitor has been changed. This enables more vivid display of images.

After this update, it looks like Rick had this topic nailed early on.

Rick’s post is here

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=23612&prev_page=show_topic&gid=23612#23663

David

steveZ

Englewood, US
441 posts

#32. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 28

steveZ Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007
Tue 16-Apr-13 06:36 PM

>I installed the updates as soon as they were available. I
>have shot BIF for at least four hours since doing the update,
>My AF was incredibly fast with the 200-400mm f/4 with the old
>firmware. If it is faster after the update, I cannot see the
>difference. I think you would have to measure the difference
>with a meter or some electronic equipment tied to the camera.
>Eyeballing the difference would just be a guess.
>

>I am still elated with my keeper rate with the D800e. I ran my
>monthly critique session at the gallery yesterday. In that
>session, I put seven of my own images up on the large-screen
>TV. I could hear the jaws drop every time one of my images
>went on, and two of the images were 10-15% of the original
>frames before cropping.

What are you AF settings please, dynamic? 51 points? etc etc.
Thanks

Steve Z
www.stevezavodny.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#33. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 32

Tue 16-Apr-13 07:46 PM

AF-C, Dynamic area, 9 points, short AF lock on, shutter button AF, BushHawk.

Larry Jordan

steveZ

Englewood, US
441 posts

#34. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 33

Tue 16-Apr-13 07:48 PM

great, thanks, but bushhawk has me puzzled.

Steve Z
www.stevezavodny.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#35. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 34

Tue 16-Apr-13 07:59 PM

See BushHawk below:

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Larry Jordan

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13619 posts

#36. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 34

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 16-Apr-13 08:04 PM

Bushhawk = A shoulder mount

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

steveZ

Englewood, US
441 posts

#37. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 35

Tue 16-Apr-13 08:07 PM

the guy, the lens, or the handle? heh heh heh
thanks

Steve Z
www.stevezavodny.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#38. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 37

Tue 16-Apr-13 08:11 PM

All the above.

Larry Jordan

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#39. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Fri 19-Apr-13 02:36 AM

I tried to find the download on the website of Nikon USA, but could not find any link. Could anyone tell me where to find the new firmware for d800e? By the way, I bought my camera in Germany, so I don't know whether I can make use of Nikon USA's website - on the other hand, what would I do with the software if I didn't have the camera?

And, if possible, could someone tell me the procedure or point to instructions of how to upload the firmware to the camera? I have never done this, no idea how it is done and I certainly don't want to render my beautiful camera dysfunctional through any inept fumbling of mine.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#40. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 39

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Fri 19-Apr-13 04:38 AM | edited Fri 19-Apr-13 04:53 AM by Robman3

Hi Lukas,

here: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18262/kw/d800e%20firmware

PC (MAC? please chime in) download the file, put it in a folder, open the folder and it should have a sub folder called D800E. open that and you will see an object.

Prior to this, format a card, have a fully charged battery. Drag that object onto the empty card (in a card reader), insert that into the camera, turn it on and go to firmware version (wrench menu), that will have a set of commands, yes or no. Initiate that and allow the process to run it's course, a minute or two.

Turn off camera when completed and restart (screen has a progress bar on view), firmware version should be the new one.

IF the firmware settings do not show the yes and no commands, then you have copied the shell folder, only drag the object in the sub folder.

Painless, once it's running. I did the D7000, D3S and D800 last night, nothing too complicated.

If this does not download from the US, on page three of this forum (keeps dropping down) is a link to the Dutch site with the D800E link.

RM

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#41. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 40

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Sat 20-Apr-13 03:08 AM

Thanks, this is very helpful. I will try my hand on this over the weekend. Doesn't sound too dangerous for my camera, either.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#42. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 41

Sat 20-Apr-13 04:12 AM

Hi Lukas,

I love your stills from the Punjab.

I see you have the 24mm PC-E in your kit. Have you been able to shoot anything as yet with that on the D800E?

I have one on hold, almost paid for and do not know many folks who have this combination.

If so, you can let me know via e-mail me through the site, thanks!

Rob

geneluck

Reading, UK
3170 posts

#43. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004
Mon 22-Apr-13 02:22 PM

Is there somewhere a detailed description of this firmware upgrade?
I am interested by the changes in live view. I have not seen any improvement for the yellow green stripes on my LCD after the upgrade, regardless of color space used.
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Visit my travel website at http://www.jlpepin.com

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#44. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 43

Tue 23-Apr-13 02:09 AM

I have only seen a bullet list of items addressed in this update in various places from an NPS email, e.g.,

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/04/02/major-d800d800e-firmware-update/

David

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#45. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 43

Tue 23-Apr-13 12:54 PM

Yellow green stripes? That is not one of the reported issues with the rear display. Are these stripes when shooting in artificial light or all light? May be a repair in that camera's future.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

geneluck

Reading, UK
3170 posts

#46. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 44

Tue 23-Apr-13 04:34 PM

Thank you David. Yes I saw that also. I was just thinking that there was maybe something more explicit describing the changes in liveview. I eventually figured out that pressing OK switches behaviour between exposure preview or not.
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

geneluck

Reading, UK
3170 posts

#47. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 45

Tue 23-Apr-13 04:38 PM

"May be a repair in that camera's future" Yes, I am going to send it back to Nikon for them to inspect when I am back in the UK. I showed it to a couple of Nikon shops in Norway and that had never seen that before.
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

byvini

UK
28 posts

#48. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Wed 24-Apr-13 06:42 AM

Focus using af-c seems a bit snappy than before. Also, picture magnification has been improved when reviewing.

Dadorian

Johannesburg, ZA
83 posts

#49. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 48

Dadorian Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Sat 04-May-13 11:41 AM

I seem to be getting far better results post the firmware update. I have been struggling with the demands of my D800 (which I love by the way) and often resorted to going back to my D7000. At first I thought lack of focus was a fault with the camera,particularly with the scary stories on the web, then I was convinced it was all to do with my lens selection and bought some new lenses, then finally I came to the conclusion that I couldn't buy way out of this, it was all my fault, lack of experience etc etc, and once again hit the books, videos forums and web sites to try and understand my shortcomings. Anyway since the update, and don't ask me why, I have been getting better results. Perhaps there is a placebo effect or just maybe the technique is getting better but whatever the reason, my confidence is building, I learn something new about the camera or photography in general from this forum almost every day. So there we go a firmware update and a daily dose of Nikonians and all is well. Thank you to all you experienced guys that provide interesting answers and thanks to those of you like me, that ask questions that sometimes sound a bit dumb but each one brings us step closer.

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#50. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 49

Sat 04-May-13 08:57 PM

Ian,

As one who has asked many questions on the site, there is no such thing as dumb when looking for mentoring and guidance.

Occasionally, someone will be dismissive and then obviously, perhaps they should simply refrain from comments which are not constructive.

Yes there was a hysteria when the 36MP sensor arrived in a 35mm frame, much of it was blather and technique related with some genuine Nikon factory AF issues but averaged say versus other releases, nothing earth shaking.

I'm glad you are handling the results now and if it is placebo, so be it. In other words, learning curve, and practice.

Have fun!

Rob Manning

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13619 posts

#51. "RE: Any comments about the new firmware version?" | In response to Reply # 49

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sat 04-May-13 10:58 PM

>> “Perhaps there is a placebo effect or just maybe the technique is getting better but whatever the reason, my confidence is building, I learn something new about the camera or photography in general from this forum almost every day.”

Improving technique (from practice/experience) – growing self-confidence – and continuing to learn > are the keys to making us all better photographers.

No piece of gear can help us more than those three things.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

G