Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Fri 29-Mar-13 11:59 AM

I just ordered a 32gb Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s Compact Flash card from B&H + the Nikonians D800 book. Since I'm not using the D800 for sports/action do I really need the fastest cards? I use 16gb Sandisk Extreme 45mb SD cards as well and the camera seems very fast.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

#1. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Fri 29-Mar-13 12:12 PM

Regardless of the write speed of the memory card, you can always shoot at full speed until the buffer is full. The difference between cards is only seen in the interval before you can shoot the next burst. When you transfer images to your computer, a fast card can save a minute or two over a slow one.

Regards, Antero

MEMcD

US
31318 posts

#2. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 29-Mar-13 11:08 PM

Hi Mark,

In a word; No!
If and when you start filling the buffer and find yourself waiting for the buffer to clear before you can capture the next image, you might consider getting a faster card. Until that happens, use what ever speed cards you have.

Best Regards,
Marty

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#3. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Fri 29-Mar-13 11:49 PM | edited Fri 29-Mar-13 11:53 PM by Hawk Eyes

If you shoot landscape panoramas with skies and stitch photos, a fast card is important.
Clouds and light are always changing.... so a fast card will help you catch the right moment without too much change in your landscape scenery.
I have missed the right moment in the past with a slow card when trying to shoot panoramas.
I now use San disk Extreme pro 32gb 90mb/s CF and 32gb 95mb/s SF cards and have been very happy with no missed shots. You basically answered your own question ...Good luck !

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#4. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 30-Mar-13 01:43 AM

Fast cards are not only needed for the write sped, but for the read speed a well.

To download a 32GB card that is full
Using USB 2.0
with a 30MB/S card it might take 26 min
with a 45MB/s card it might take 30 min
with a 95MB/s card it might take 24 min

Using USB 3.0
with a 30MB/S card it might take 24 min
with a 45MB/s card it might take 14 min
with a 95MB/s card it might take a little over 6 min

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#5. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 4

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Sat 30-Mar-13 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the info. At some point in the near future I plan to get a 32gb SD card and may consider another 32gb CF card. At that time I'll try the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. I picked up a couple of 16gb Kingston Ultimate 600x CF cards a couple of months ago. I think that was a bad decision because the slower Sandisk's seem faster.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#6. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 5

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 30-Mar-13 11:49 PM

Everything you wanted to know, and more, about the speeds of CF and SD cards on the D800. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12451

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

rosewood_ltd

Akron, US
1266 posts

#7. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 5

rosewood_ltd Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008
Tue 02-Apr-13 03:29 PM

Agree with Hawk Eyes on this one. Also, for similar considerations, if you are shooting landscapes for HDR, with 7 or 9 frame brackets, it's a good idea.

Do you plan to also use an SD card simultaneously (e.g. - for shooting jpeg backups in RAW +fine mode)? I found that having a slower SD card had a very definite, negative impact on write speeds under those circumstances. Upgrading to the fastest SD card from Lexar made a big difference.

Russ

Russ

The trick is not to make lemonade when life hands you lemons. The trick is to find the person life has handed vodka to and then have a party.

My Nikonians Gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/191414

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10543 posts

#8. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 02-Apr-13 04:52 PM

Generally CF cards are 40-50% faster than SD cards. SD cards tend to be a little cheaper. The fastest cards are usually the most expensive, so dropping back to a 60mb/s card is a good balance of price with speed for most situations.

I like a 32GB card for the D800. It covers a full day of shooting for most subjects. Wildlife is different and you'll be more likely to fill a card, but it depends on the subject.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#9. "RE: Any reason to use 1000x cards for landscapes and still life?" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 03-Apr-13 02:35 PM | edited Wed 03-Apr-13 02:45 PM by InsaneO

>I just ordered a 32gb Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s Compact Flash
>card from B&H + the Nikonians D800 book. Since I'm not
>using the D800 for sports/action do I really need the fastest
>cards? I use 16gb Sandisk Extreme 45mb SD cards as well and
>the camera seems very fast.

Simple math.
14-bit uncompressed RAW, 74.4MB camera buffer memory 16 frames
12-bit lossless compressed RAW, 32.4MB camera buffer memory 21 frames
14-bit uncompressed RAW in DX, 32.5MB camera buffer memory 25 frames

So if you feel you are going to shoot at the maximum 4fps for over 4 seconds straight and in 14bit RAW you need the fastest card possible.
Ant delay between the shots and you don't need fast card.

I don't shoot sports (need more than 4fps for that) but I shoot something as demanding as that. I shoot red carpet. I shot with Canon 5d2 at 3fps before and now with D800e without any problems at all.
And I been doing it for a year now with D800e.
I use Topram 600x and Transcend 400x cards which are about equal in speed.

The only minor problem is that I tend to shoot thousands of RAW images and transferring to computer even at close to 90mb/sec takes awhile. Even a 1000x cards would not save me much times.

The second problem is that some cameras have a bug. If you put SD card as your secondary even if you use it as overflow so no files are actually written to it, once in a while there is a long 15 seconds delay to write to the main CF card. I have a thread here on this a some people reported this problem even with the fastest cards possible. So just don't insert SD card.

So if you are shooting landscapes you are not going to machine gun so you don't really need fast cards.

G