Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:12 PM

Hello. I rarely post questions since most of my questions that I am interested are already being asked.

The issue that I have been experiencing since I received my D800E is how quickly it drains the Nikon EN-EL15 battery compared to my D7000. For example, if I just leave my D800 power switch "on" even with a lens that doesn't have VR, it will drain the power indication bar much faster after 2 or 3 hours.

Is this normal? The only way to prevent the batteries from this accelerated discharge is by turning the camera on and off constantly in between shoot. Are there any other settings that you can recommend to maximize the battery charge? Thank you.

Regards,

Glenn

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#1. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Wed 27-Mar-13 10:19 PM

Glenn,

I upgraded from a D7000 to D800 and I don't experience that kind of battery drain - I doubt the D800E drains any faster than a D800. The one difference may be that I utilize an MBD-15 Nikon grip and utlize that battery as my primary. However, again, I don't see excessive battery drain.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#2. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 27-Mar-13 10:24 PM

Thanks for your feedback Tom. I also have the original Nikon MB-D12 but it only provides the option to add an extra battery for extended shooting capability and of course some of the other benefits of the grip and control features.

This kinda makes me worried and if I need to send it to Nikon before my 1 year warranty expires.

Regards,

Glenn

mawyatt1

US
105 posts

#3. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 2

mawyatt1 Registered since 11th Feb 2012
Wed 27-Mar-13 10:42 PM

Glenn,

I did the same upgrading from a D7000 to D800. I have not noticed excessive battery drain nor short battery life.

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#4. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 27-Mar-13 10:46 PM

Oh boy. This doesn't sound good on my part.

Regards,

Glenn

n7vy

Mesa, Arizona, US
127 posts

#5. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 4

n7vy Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Apr 2009
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:04 PM

I believe that the biggest draw of power is the rear LCD screen. Are you " peeping"?

Cheap is relative to desire

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#6. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 4

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:13 PM

Hi Glenn,

I also have a D800 and have left the camera on for several days with no loss in the battery power. Before you send it in, I would take off the MB-D12 and see if that has anything to do with the power loss.

If it still happens then you should have it checked out.

Good Luck,
Bill

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7068 posts

#7. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 5

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:15 PM

Another thing to check is to see if your fingers are resting on the buttons so that the focus and/or metering is being activated.

Check the timeout values in the "timers" menu.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#8. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 28-Mar-13 12:07 AM

>I believe that the biggest draw of power is the rear LCD screen. Are >you " peeping"?

I use the view finder 90% of the time. The only time I use the rear LCD is when I preview the images, fiddle with the menu and use it for video recording.

Regards,

Glenn

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#9. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 28-Mar-13 12:10 AM

>Another thing to check is to see if your fingers are resting on the >buttons so that the focus and/or metering is being activated.
>
>Check the timeout values in the "timers" menu.

Joseph - I understand but the problem that I am encountering is that it drains the battery even while it is just sitting on a table with the power "on" and my fingers away from the camera.

Regards,

Glenn

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#10. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 28-Mar-13 12:16 AM | edited Thu 28-Mar-13 12:21 AM by gqtuazon

>Hi Glenn,

>I also have a D800 and have left the camera on for several days with >no loss in the battery power. Before you send it in, I would take off >the MB-D12 and see if that has anything to do with the power loss.
>
>If it still happens then you should have it checked out.
>
>Good Luck,
>Bill

Thanks for sharing this info Bill. I didn't realize that the battery life could be better. I could only hope that my camera can behave that way without draining the battery even just for a full day.

I've always thought it had something to do with the newer processor since it takes a lot more computing power to process the NEF files of the D800 and that it has bigger LCD screen compared to the D700 which I used to have.

To get a better data, I just installed a freshly charged battery inside the camera with the grip off and turned "on" the camera to observe and record the drain rate. I'll continue to monitor this and should have more accurate representation within the next several hours.

Regards,

Glenn

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#11. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 28-Mar-13 10:10 AM

So, after 5 hours, the freshly charged battery eventually became fully drained. That doesn't sound right at all. I wrote Nikon about my camera issue, and I'm just waiting for their reply.

Regards,

Glenn

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#12. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 11

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Thu 28-Mar-13 11:07 AM

Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand Nikon will take care of it and you will have your camera back like new. I just hope it doesn't take to long and you have another camera to use in the mean time. I would like to hear what the problem was.

Good Luck,
Bill

MEMcD

US
31310 posts

#13. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 11

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 28-Mar-13 04:01 PM | edited Thu 28-Mar-13 04:02 PM by MEMcD

Hi Glenn,

There is definitely a problem.

Best Regards,
Marty

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#14. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 29-Mar-13 11:01 PM

Bill / Marty - thanks.

Nikon Service Center insist that there is nothing wrong with my camera but in order for them to confirm it, they requested to send it to them for inspection.

So, am I the only one who have reported this type of problem here?

Regards,

Glenn

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#15. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 29-Mar-13 11:45 PM

Hi Glenn,

I don't know if anyone eles has this problem, but I would be sure I would send it in and have it checked out. They can't tell me this is normal. Again someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Send it in and see what they say. Or if you are close to a Service Center you could take it there and see what they find out.

Good Luck,
Bill

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#16. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 0

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Sat 30-Mar-13 01:30 PM

Hi Glenn,
Send it in! There's definitely something not quite right!

I have D800 and D800E. Both are extremely frugal on battery under the circumstances you describe.

Pete

philm35

USA, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#17. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 16

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004
Sat 30-Mar-13 06:49 PM

This may be a stupid question, but did you try a different battery? Maybe you've got a bad one.

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#18. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 17

Sat 30-Mar-13 09:12 PM

Pete- thanks for the assurance and your feedback. I wasn't sure about what is normal and what is not when it comes to this since I can only base it with my D7000.

@ Philm - I have three original Nikon batteries and they all get drained about the same.

Regards,

Glenn

BossHoss

US
4 posts

#19. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 18

BossHoss Registered since 23rd Dec 2011
Mon 08-Apr-13 09:42 PM | edited Mon 08-Apr-13 10:31 PM by BossHoss

I have seen the same battery drain on 2 rented Nikons--a D600 and a D800 using 4 different batteries. I could get well over 1,000 shots if shot in groups 100 "Continuous" bursts.

But when shooting in Live View after about 4 1/2 hours of just sitting in standby mode the battery would be spent.

I loved the D800 so much though I bought the company! Well, I bought a D800E that should be here later this week.

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#20. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 19

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Tue 09-Apr-13 01:43 AM | edited Tue 09-Apr-13 01:44 AM by Timeshifte

If you leave the camera on, it should go into standby after a period of time and battery drain will be greatly reduced. Did you check the timeouts in the menu ? C4 has a number of timeouts, Playback = 10s, menus =1min, Info disp =10s,Image review =10s, live view =10 min. The other thing I would do is pull the cf and SD cards to see if one of them is keeping the camera from going to standby.

BossHoss

US
4 posts

#21. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 20

BossHoss Registered since 23rd Dec 2011
Tue 09-Apr-13 01:57 AM

>...The other thing I would do is pull the cf and SD cards to see if >one of them is keeping the camera from going to standby.

Click! That would be my problem!

I was using Eye-Fi Pro X2 Cards--and I am betting they kept "standby" from being enabled.

In studio if I am not tethered I do appreciate having Eye-Fi.

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#22. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 21

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Tue 09-Apr-13 02:46 AM

Love to save the shipping !!

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#23. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 22

Fri 12-Apr-13 01:42 AM

Camera should be arriving soon to Nikon service center.

I do not use wifi SD cards. I still think that there is something wrong internally. I incuded the battery and battery charger for their assessment.

Regards,

Glenn

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#24. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 23

Cowleystjames Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Sun 21-Apr-13 10:43 PM

Battery on my D800e is as good if not better, than my D7100.
Don't see any unusual draining patterns

byvini

UK
28 posts

#25. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Thu 25-Apr-13 05:05 AM

I also upgraded from d7000 to d800, with two extra batteries and haven't noticed this behaviour in any camera/battery combination. Maybe you have a defected one?

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

#26. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 23

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Thu 25-Apr-13 10:19 PM

>Camera should be arriving soon to Nikon service center.
>
>I do not use wifi SD cards. I still think that there is
>something wrong internally. I incuded the battery and battery
>charger for their assessment.
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Glenn
Please let us know the outcome. Your camera should not be draining the battery after it goes to sleep. I've read that when the D800(e) is asleep, the power drain is less than the self-discharge of the battery itself. This means it should be negligible between on and off.

I have 2 D800e's and the batteries last forever in sleep mode.
Regards,
Craig

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#27. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 25

Cowleystjames Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Wed 01-May-13 01:33 PM

Ok, I've just fully charged my D800e using one battery in the grip only then left the camera to it's own devices.
After 12 hours the battery has dropped from 100% to 96% with me not using it or even touching it.
Be interested to know the outcome of Nikons investigation.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#28. "RE: Best practice to keep the battery charge last longer" | In response to Reply # 11

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Wed 01-May-13 04:52 PM

>So, after 5 hours, the freshly charged battery eventually
>became fully drained. That doesn't sound right at all. I
>wrote Nikon about my camera issue, and I'm just waiting for
>their reply.
>

Glenn

Something not right there. If the camera drains the battery that fast while just sitting on the table then either the battery is faulty (best case scenario) or something is wrong in the camera. When this happens does the battery get warm or does the camera get warm anywhere?

ENEL15 battery is rated 14Wh = 50.4 kiloJoules of energy. This is enough to theoretically heat 1/3 pint of water from room temperature to boiling point. So if the battery is healthy and dissipating over 5 hours it WILL be warming the camera up somewhere whereas if no heat is generated at all then I am inclined to think the battery is not producing power and is faulty.

Visit

G