Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How many shutter actuations on a refurb is okay?

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Wed 27-Mar-13 12:18 AM

Received my refurbished D800 this evening. Shot a JPG image and opened it up in OPanda and discovered my camera had 2450 actutions. Does this number seem apropriate for a refurb? I was expecting fewer actuations. On another note, I've been focusing with the left most AF sensor to check focus and everything is in focus. What's the proper way to check for the left focus issue?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#1. "RE: How many shutter actuations on a refurb is okay?" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Wed 27-Mar-13 02:50 AM

2,450 actuation is about 1% of the shutter life - that's part of the reason you got such a great price.

For testing procedure see - http://www.bythom.com/D800autofocus.htm

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

James23p

Memphis, US
11258 posts

#2. "RE: How many shutter actuations on a refurb is okay?" | In response to Reply # 0

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Wed 27-Mar-13 03:42 AM

I have seen refurbs with 4 all the way to 3500 so I would think you are within what I would call OK. My D600 had just over 600 or so but looked new and is perfect no dust or scartches.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#3. "RE: How many shutter actuations on a refurb is okay?" | In response to Reply # 2

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Wed 27-Mar-13 10:08 AM

Thanks, now to test for focus issues.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

G