Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Going staright to a picture without scrolling

fdormoy

CA
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fdormoy Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Mon 25-Mar-13 04:27 PM

I have about 300 pictures in my D800 and if I want to view just one of them, is there a way to avoid having to scroll up or down the whole set of pictures to reach the picture we want? I did not find in the Menu a "GoTo"function.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1478 posts

#1. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 25-Mar-13 04:10 PM | edited Mon 25-Mar-13 04:11 PM by jamesvoortman

I am not aware of any "go to" function that would let you select a particular image based on its metadata such as name, number, time stamp etc.

However :
While in the image viewing mode if you view any image full size and then press the zoom out (-) button you get a set of thumbnails.
1 press = 4 thumbnails
2 press = 9 thumbnails
3 press = 80 thumbnails

Now you can scroll through the images much faster, select the one you want and zoom back in to it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

fdormoy

CA
20 posts

#2. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 25-Mar-13 07:44 PM

Thanks, but this is exactly what I did, but when you have over 400 photos, it still takes some time to reach the right photo.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#3. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 26-Mar-13 01:32 AM

Yeah, there is no "Goto" function. Even if there were, I'm not sure it would be very useful. As the camera does not have a keyboard, how would you enter the desired image number? Using the 4-way touchpad to cycle thru the digits would probably take longer than scrolling through the image thumbnails.

I normally download my images to my computer after a shooting session and do all my viewing there. Using the camera for that is really not very convenient.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

fdormoy

CA
20 posts

#5. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 26-Mar-13 03:45 PM

I understand your point, but the reason for my interest in a rapid access to a single picture in my camera is for making photo editing through the Retouch menu (color sketch) for a selected picture. It will create a new photo (JPG) with the desired effect. But it means that, when we have already 400 photos in the memory card, to scroll through each of them, or by group of nine per line.

JECoutre

Concord, US
376 posts

#6. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 5

JECoutre Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008
Wed 27-Mar-13 12:48 AM

Perhaps if all 400 weren't from one capture series and this is a repeating situation for you, in your workflow in-camera set up different folders in which the camera places the images. This may result in less images to review. If in the same capture series perhaps floders would be time frames. Otherwise I think you are going to have to scroll using thumbnails until you download your chip. Good luck.

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#7. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 3

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Sat 30-Mar-13 11:17 AM

Perhaps Nikon can add ESP to the camera... hold it to your forehead, imagine the frame you want and presto... it is selected and displayed.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

fdormoy

CA
20 posts

#8. "RE: Going staright to a picture without scrolling" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 30-Mar-13 01:15 PM

In fact, the best situation would be to have the option of scrolling the list of picture by name (number) rather than thumbnail. It would be much faster to access a picture like that than scrolling all thumbnail, even if there are 9 per row. Is that possible ?

G