Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
UNIphoto2 Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Tue 12-Mar-13 01:25 AM

I am looking at purchasing the D800 again, I purchased 4 in the past (May-Aug 2012), all had several issues including left auto-focus issue. With the current rebate a new body is $2800 however Nikon is selling refurbs for #2400 and I can purchase an extended 2 year warranty for $150 more. What are the opinions out there of which one would be good to pick up knowing the QC issues? I know all don't have issues but more than normal are suffering from some QC issue. Looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#1. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 12-Mar-13 12:32 AM | edited Tue 12-Mar-13 12:33 AM by klrbee25

There are plenty of items where buying a refurb is a good idea. The D800 is absolutely not one of them. Given the AF issues and challenges people have had, the $400 savings is far from worth it. I'd buy new from a reputable store with a good return policy should you have any issues. I reserve refurb purchases for items of lesser value that have more technologically simple and are supported by companies that will replace items rather than attempt repairing them.

Do yourself a favor and get a new one. You won't regret it.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#2. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 1

JimH Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 12-Mar-13 01:25 AM

+1 on what Alex has stated. I just made a purchase on a D800e, I seriously condidered a refurbished body. After alot of thought I came to the same conclusion. Buy new...

Jim H.

"Things are'nt always quite as cherry, as they first seem"

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#3. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 2

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Tue 12-Mar-13 01:30 AM

Refurb from Nikon, from what I understand, can range from a simple open box that has been returned (Nikon will then send it to a service center (I got my D60 years ago from one in Venezuela after it was sent to Adorama)....to, a failed part that has been repaired....

I bought a D60 for $325 refurb, worked perfectly....given the D800 issues, I would be reluctant to purchase a refurb from any dealer for only a few $$$ savings.

Go new, put it on your AMEX and be confident you can bring it back in 30 days or less if there is an issue.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

#4. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 12-Mar-13 01:35 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will be buying new. I still can't believe the recent QC issues with Nikon. It kind of sucks. But if I get a good body this camera ROCKS!!!

Again, thanks!!

Photogcam

US
43 posts

#5. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

Photogcam Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Jul 2010
Tue 12-Mar-13 08:43 PM

Hello,

I bought a refurb D800 from Adorama just after Christmas and got it for under $2,300. I ran it through focus tests on all of 51 of the focus points and everything has been great. Maybe I just got lucky, but my D3 was also a refurb and it has been working great for over 4 years.

d50extreme

US
394 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 5

d50extreme Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Wed 13-Mar-13 01:54 AM

picked up a D800 refurb a few weeks ago and felt the it had the left auto focus issue so i returned it today. I will probably just pick up a new body now as the exchange they had for me for the refurb also had the focus issue. I just don't understand how Nikon's qc is that bad.

my website - http://elyphotography.blogspot.com
NIKON - there is no substitute

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#7. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 6

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 14-Mar-13 05:37 AM

If there is a concern over getting a camera that meets your expectations, only way to assure that is it meeting those levels you seek is to buy from a local pro photography shop. Take your lenses and test it in the store before accepting it. The avoidance of sales tax by ordering from a large on-line catalog would be an expensive savings, since the only service they can provide is returns, which are often not needed.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

#8. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 14-Mar-13 10:45 AM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 10:49 AM by UNIphoto2

Hey Stan,

I appreciate your comment, unfortunately, in my city we no longer have local camera stores and BB does not carry the camera in stock. I buy all my equipment from Murphy's Camera in Lexington, KY therefore, shipping charges rack up quickly. The refurbished camera I am referring to is directly from the Nikon store.

Also, that is a huge assumption to think I order from a large on-line catalog to avoid paying taxes (in fact I do not order from the large online catalogs for anything). Taxes have to be paid upfront or on the back end in the state of NC so the sales tax will be paid. Another factor, I support small businesses hence the reason why I buy all of my camera equipment from Murphy's Camera in Lexington, KY.

Thanks!

>If there is a concern over getting a camera that meets your
>expectations, only way to assure that is it meeting those
>levels you seek is to buy from a local pro photography shop.
>Take your lenses and test it in the store before accepting it.
>The avoidance of sales tax by ordering from a large on-line
>catalog would be an expensive savings, since the only service
>they can provide is returns, which are often not needed.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

d50extreme

US
394 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#9. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 8

d50extreme Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Thu 14-Mar-13 01:44 PM

I recently ordered a D800 refurb from BH, i felt after some tests and shooting with there was a left focus issue. I brought it back to B&H for a return and tried out 2 other refurbs which to me seemed to have the same issue. I was not happy so took a refund and went home and ordered a brand new D800.

I'm just so surprised that a problem nikon knows about couldn't even be fixed on the refurbs, probably one of the main reasons the cameras went back to nikon???

my website - http://elyphotography.blogspot.com
NIKON - there is no substitute

loveisageless

Oakland, US
119 posts

#10. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 9

loveisageless Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2011
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:17 AM

The refurbs are not a good idea. They come with a 90-day warranty and are not eligible for Nikon's own 2 year extended warranty. I did some research on it when considering a refurbed D600 and chatted with an Adorama sales person, who confirmed it. I guess the reason for it not qualifying for the extended warranty is apparent, since it appears Nikon is unable or unwilling to truly fix the defective units. Maybe they think buyers won't notice? Fortunately, I bought a used D800 locally and was able to test it beforehand to make sure it did not have any focus or other issues.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#11. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Sat 16-Mar-13 03:01 AM

Four of them?

This seems like a lot of persistence.

I absolutely agree with others about not getting a refurbished one. Getting a new one is a question mark.

HelenOster

New York, US
141 posts

#12. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 10

HelenOster Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Wed 20-Mar-13 01:32 PM

>The refurbs are not a good idea. They come with a 90-day
>warranty and are not eligible for Nikon's own 2 year extended
>warranty. I did some research on it when considering a
>refurbed D600 and chatted with an Adorama sales person, who
>confirmed it.

...BUT, if you purchase a refurb with an existing 90-day warranty, the Adorama VIP warranty (at $7.95) will provide a full year of extended warranty cover. You have to purchase it before you purchase the unit; and it covers everything else you buy subsequently from Adorama for a full year, as well.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen@adorama.com
www.adorama.com?kbid=912610

russg

Phoenix, US
1618 posts

#13. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 12

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007
Wed 20-Mar-13 10:55 PM

I have a hard time equating the Adorama VIP warranty with a Nikon factory warranty. Nothing against Adorama, which is a fine retailer, but I feel the same way about any third party warranty versus an original factory warranty. For me this applies equally to electronics, automobiles, or any other expensive and highly complex product.

Russ

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#14. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 8

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 21-Mar-13 02:21 AM

The assumption of your reasons for not testing an camera before buying was more of a general statement of why people risk buying without seeing as attested to by dozens and dozens of prior posts. Is that in error? No where in that statement did I say you were specifically buying sight unseen because of cost savings.
The main point was that you should test it before accepting it, and if you have no local store, and trust the salesman at your preferred store have him test it and assure that your concern over the left focus problem is not present.
One reason there are so many refurbs in the first place is large mass marketers get so many cameras back, when quite often the problem was something other than the camera. A local store buffered those return responses by asking questions and teaching the new users how a function might have been misused or misunderstood. A lot of D7000 and D800 and other modern cameras were not fitting old habits so the first reaction for many is to conclude it is the camera. Hundreds of posts on the forums about over exposure or AF showed that plainly and after some experience with the new models those cameras somehow repaired themselves. That local expertise is what is missing now as the small neighborhood stores keep going out of business due to mail order warehouses having such lower overhead and skill requirements, plus the 6-10% price advantage of no sales tax.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

HelenOster

New York, US
141 posts

#15. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 21-Mar-13 10:40 AM

>I have a hard time equating the Adorama VIP warranty with a
>Nikon factory warranty. Nothing against Adorama, which is a
>fine retailer, but I feel the same way about any third party
>warranty versus an original factory warranty. For me this
>applies equally to electronics, automobiles, or any other
>expensive and highly complex product.
>
>Russ

I understand completely (tho', of course, we don't carry out the work ourselves..... the units go to a Nikon authorized Service Center, and probably get serviced by the exact same technicians as the ones who carry out the work under Nikon warranty)

Helen Oster

helen@adorama.com

alanfairley

US
18 posts

#16. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

alanfairley Registered since 28th Jan 2013
Fri 22-Mar-13 08:33 PM

I bought a D800E refurb and paid $80 for a Mack 2-year warranty, but if I had it to do again I probably would go for new. Right now I have a new 24-70 that needs more than +20 in focus adjustment (I the first copy I got and returned was the same, so I expect it's a camera issue). I'll give the camera to Nikon with the lens (I work just down the street from the west coast service center) and hope they check the camera without charging me.

UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

#17. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 29-Mar-13 04:39 PM

Well I decided to order #5. My last return was September of 2012, hopefully I will not encounter the issues of the previous 4 bodies. I really miss the D800 for Landscape and Cityscape shots. So, I'm hopeful I will get a fully working as expected D800. It will be here next week.

Thanks!!

>Four of them?
>
>This seems like a lot of persistence.
>
>I absolutely agree with others about not getting a refurbished
>one. Getting a new one is a question mark.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#18. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 1

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Sat 30-Mar-13 01:19 PM

>There are plenty of items where buying a refurb is a good
>idea. The D800 is absolutely not one of them. Given the AF
>issues and challenges people have had, the $400 savings is far
>from worth it. I'd buy new from a reputable store with a good
>return policy should you have any issues. I reserve refurb
>purchases for items of lesser value that have more
>technologically simple and are supported by companies that
>will replace items rather than attempt repairing them.
>
>Do yourself a favor and get a new one. You won't regret it.

I completely agree plus the ones that Nikon have supposedly "refurbished/fixed" still have issues- some worse than before the repair so I would just stay w/ new from a store where you can return if there are problems.
>
>-Alex Rosen
>www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

dbvisions

Ringgold, US
65 posts

#19. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 15

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011
Tue 02-Apr-13 04:53 PM

>>I have a hard time equating the Adorama VIP warranty with
>a
>>Nikon factory warranty. Nothing against Adorama, which is
>a
>>fine retailer, but I feel the same way about any third
>party
>>warranty versus an original factory warranty. For me
>this
>>applies equally to electronics, automobiles, or any other
>>expensive and highly complex product.
>>
>>Russ
>

I purchased a refurb D800 from Adorama in the fall and have been very pleased with it. Since it came with only the 90-day warranty I tested it immediately using the FoCal program to be sure it did not have a focus problem. I also did the AF finetuning with each of my lenses and then used it enough to satisfy myself that there was nothing wrong with anything else. I was willing to assume the risk because most failures happen early in a device's life (infantile failures) and any focus problem would be present when it was taken out of the box - it would not become worse over time. So, 90 days was more than enough time for me to determine whether something was wrong with it and get it repaired or replaced.

To me, the almost $500 savings over a new camera was worth having the shorter warranty. This would not be the way to go if I were a person who buys a camera and then lets it sit a long time before actually trying to use it. But then, I am not someone who buys extended warranties on household appliances and autos, either...

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#20. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 07-Apr-13 08:13 PM

I ordered a refurbished D800 from Adorama that arrived last Thursday. Tested it with a 24mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/1.4. The end result - the camera is being returned.

I am really disappointed in Nikon, to see a refurbished item (several QA Checks?) that has the worst focusing of any AF camera I've owned. And it was not not just the left AF points, but left, center, and right.

Out of curiosity I ran the 24mm with the D800 test images through FocusTune for AFC - Auto-Focus Consistency. The Live View focus images were about double the Sharpness Value of the phase detection images! I wished I had my original D800 to do a comparison with as it was the best camera I've ever owned including the focusing.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

HelenOster

New York, US
141 posts

#21. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 08-Apr-13 04:22 AM

>I ordered a refurbished D800 from Adorama that arrived last
>Thursday. Tested it with a 24mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/1.4. The
>end result - the camera is being returned.
>
>I am really disappointed in Nikon, to see a refurbished item
>(several QA Checks?) that has the worst focusing of any AF
>camera I've owned. And it was not not just the left AF points,
>but left, center, and right.

I was sorry to see this; please email me with your order number so I can get a pre-paid sent to you for return: Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

helen@adorama.com

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#22. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 21

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 09-Apr-13 02:25 AM

Thanks for the concern and I did send you an email. However I already sent the camera back before I read your email.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

HelenOster

New York, US
141 posts

#23. "RE: New D800 vs Refurb" | In response to Reply # 22

Tue 09-Apr-13 10:46 AM

>Thanks for the concern and I did send you an email. However I
>already sent the camera back before I read your email.

Thank you

Helen Oster

helen@adorama.com

G