Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 04-Mar-13 11:20 PM | edited Mon 04-Mar-13 11:21 PM by johno

Thanks to all of you who have helped with good advicea along the way.

My d800 is at Nikon for the fourth repair attempt, and it's already not going well. Repairs one and two were for left focus. It came back front focusing, bad. 11 inches or so at 5 feet, using a 24-70, and several other Nikon "pro" lenses. All exhibit the same behavior. Except for the 105, which is close to dead on.

I sent it in a third time and it came back with no change at all to the front focusing. It is very, very soft, it's the focus point well in front of th subject.

Now Nikon states that the camera is in spec, and my lenses are all bad. They said they're shooting with my camera in their office and it appears to be functioning correctly. I need to send in my lenses.

Today I hauled all of my lenses to the selling dealer, and all of them are dead on.

Now, I'm stuck. I'm already dealing with corporate customer service. They refused to replace the camera.

Any suggestions on what to do next other than cut my losses?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#1. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Mon 04-Mar-13 10:26 PM

Well,

I guess I would call them and tell them that your lenses check out fine at the dealer. Then suggest that you will call the attorney general's office for advice. Your state's Attorney General's office handles interstate trade issues and might have a lemon law or such.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

#2. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 0

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Mon 04-Mar-13 10:48 PM

You could send it back again with a lens, or send them a lens to test with if they have your camera at the moment.

venusian

US
186 posts

#3. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 2

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Tue 05-Mar-13 06:32 PM | edited Tue 05-Mar-13 06:35 PM by venusian

I suggest you seriously follow the earlier advice of calling your state Attorney General's office. Nikon should be ashamed of how they are dealing with this situation and I have to say it has left a sour taste in my mouth for a company I once respected. It might help to let Customer Service know you are doing this.

I feel very badly for you and hope you get this situation resolved favorably.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#4. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 05-Mar-13 07:41 PM

OK, I'll try the AG office. However, I am more cynical about government expertise than Nikon expertise.

But anything is worth a try and I respect the counsel here.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#5. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 4

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 05-Mar-13 09:38 PM

First off, call Nikon and tell them of your intent to contact the AG first. In my experience with a retailer, that evoked prompt action without even actually having to call the AG. Nikon is an outstanding company, but we all have our bad days and make mistakes. Let them know you are genuinely miffed. Tell them you don't know what else to do because you know your lenses don't have issues, since they work fine on other bodies. Tell them you deserve a replacement body. See how they react first.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#6. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 4

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Tue 05-Mar-13 10:51 PM

You live in St. Louis and your state has a lemon law that only covers new cars, unlike say California whose law covers, more or less, all consumer goods. The AG, unless you have evidence of fraud, will just refer you to the better business bureau (who will take your complaint and forward it to Nikon requesting a response). In my experience companies like Nikon don't care about the BBB.

My advice is to use social media to your advantage. Idle threats over the telephone are private and really don't concern large companies with in house lawyers. Try posting to NikonUSA's twitter and Facebook pages. Try something like asking if they have an ombudsman (secret: they don't but play dumb) because you are finding it impossible to deal with your regional service depot who now has your brand new D800 for the 4th time. It may be enough to get someone with fresh eyes to look at it.

I used a similar technique to get another large company to expedite an exchange of goods that were DOD during the x-mas season. Their delivery/customer service department basically told me to be patient (as they were busy filling new orders, hey they already had my money) but a suggestion on their twitter account that delivery was insanely slow, gave them enough concern to get it out so that the public was assured that orders would be filled in time for Christmas. They didn't want that type of attention.

Good luck. I would note that the inconsistency of AF is odd, normally bodies that front focus do so more or less with all lenses. I am trying to figure out how your 105 could be dead on while your other lenses are badly front focusing and all I can think of is that the 105 is a bad back focuser.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#7. "Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 07-Mar-13 09:40 PM

Good news.

Nikon has solved this problem.

I am delighted with the outcome, but it was a very hard-won battle.

A few things I learned:

- Persistence. Never give up.

- Each camera truly is different. I've now used several d800s, and each of them focuses just a little different. I never took AF fine tune seriously. Now I understand why there is a +/- 20 adjustment range. Even good cameras focus differently given the same lenses.

-- No need for elaborate testing. Is it in focus or not? This is different from documentation of a problem. Evidence trail is important. A lot of time has been wasted with elaborate focus-test setups. Think about it: There is never a request for proof via rigorous testing that a camera is focusing correctly.

-- There are people at Nikon who care about customers and communicate with them -- and who can make decisions to help solve a problem. These are not generally the people who answer the telephone. They may care or communicate well, but they have zero control over any outcome other than bidding you a pleasant day.

-- These forums are invaluable. I never would have noticed the left-sensor problem had I not learned about it online. I understand that is ironic. However, had I NOT learned about it here while everybody else knew, I would have a resale problem way too late to do anything about it. And when I did use the left sensor and it was fuzzy, I would have chalked it up to the usual cull shots I am susceptible to.

I am so very happy to have a working camera. Now the limiting factor is completely behind the viewfinder.

JO

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#8. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 07-Mar-13 10:17 PM

I am so glad to hear that Nikon came through. I knew they would. Sometimes it takes a squeaky wheel.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#9. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 12-Mar-13 12:11 AM

I did some shooting with my replacement camera at the botanical garden Saturday.

I used a new 50mm 1.4g I bought Friday, and my 105 2.8 vr.

There is no comparison between this camera and my old one.

The autofocus shots were pin sharp and crisp at 100 percent.

I am very grateful that Nikon took care of this.

The camera is no officially amazing. I aim, shoot and the image is in focus!

Now to fix the photographer.....

x372sailor

Vancouver, CA
10 posts

#10. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 9

x372sailor Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2007
Tue 12-Mar-13 03:00 AM

I got my D800 last July and thought that by then the focus problem would be resolved, but I believe that I also have the left-focus problem. Hearing all the horror stories, I have done nothing, for fear of having a poorer operating camera returned to me. My solution - avoid use of left focus sensors. Works for me but not the solution I would prefer. Nikon here in Vancouver, BC tell me they would send the camera to Toronto for repairs. I find that pretty poor service from Nikon. I expect better than that.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#11. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 12-Mar-13 04:26 AM

I suggest you document the problem and not give up.

Your money was fully functional, after all.

But not using all the sensors will be ok, although any focus issues will affect resale.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#12. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 11

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 12-Mar-13 04:22 PM

our money was fully functional, after all.

That's the key...you paid for a product; it should function the way it was designed. Glad Nikon finally came through, but that just seems so exhausting.

I accidentally dropped my D700, MBD10, Kirk L-bracket and 28-105 lens. Dropped off the lens and body at my local authorized repair facility and had it checked out; they found that the AF was slightly off, was it liked that before or after, I don't know. I showed I purchased it earlier (I was still within the warranty period) and it was fixed under warranty repair. No questions once I provided the receipt. I wish Nikon USA service was as reliable, responsive and quick as California Precision Service. (I am basing that opinion on what I read; I have zero experience with Nikon USA repair, just CPS.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

loveisageless

Oakland, US
119 posts

#13. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 12

loveisageless Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2011
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:27 AM

I'm in the SF/Bay area and am familiar with California Precision Service. Are they able to get parts to work on Nikon cameras since Nikon allegedly stopped making them available to independent repair facilities? It would be great news if it were the case.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#14. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 13

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 16-Mar-13 04:58 PM

They are an authorized warranty station for Nikon so they have access to parts.
I don't believe any warranty stations are authorized yet to service D800's yet however.
I dropped my off my D7000 at CPS last spring when visiting California. It had developed an AF problem that popped up at the 20,000 shot point and they returned it in a few days, fixed perfectly and cleaned so it looked like new.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

GroWeb2

CA
2 posts

#15. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 10

GroWeb2 Registered since 17th Mar 2013
Sun 17-Mar-13 06:30 PM

>Nikon here in Vancouver, BC tell me they would send the camera to
>Toronto for repairs. I find that pretty poor service from Nikon.
>I expect better than that.

This is my first post here -- hello everyone.

My D800E had a left side AF problem, and I brought it to the Toronto Nikon Canada location (it's actually in Mississauga). Their first attempt failed, but in their second attempt they replaced an unspecified electrical circuit, and the camera now works like a charm. If you do have it sent to Toronto, ask that the coordinator of technicians oversee the repair and that it be done by a senior technician. That was the difference between their first effort with mine and their second.

Nikonians doesn't seem to have a private messaging (PM) feature, and I don't feel like posting my e-mail address on the public forum. If you would like to know the name of the coordinator of technicians at the Mississauga Nikon Service Centre, please let me know how I could get it to you privately.

airlaw

Seattle, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#16. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 0

airlaw Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Sep 2002
Sun 17-Mar-13 11:21 PM

How long ago did you purchase the camera? I only have a warranty sheet from my 50mm/2.8. It says that Nikon warrants the product against manufacturing defects for 1 year.

Kit

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#17. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 15

Sun 17-Mar-13 11:27 PM

Glen, Welcome to Nikonians! You can use the email feature (radio button in the upper right of the member's post). No one will see your email address that way other than the member you are emailing.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

GroWeb2

CA
2 posts

#18. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 17

GroWeb2 Registered since 17th Mar 2013
Sun 17-Mar-13 11:42 PM

>Glen, Welcome to Nikonians! You can use the email feature
>(radio button in the upper right of the member's post). No one
>will see your email address that way other than the member you
>are emailing.

Apparently I have to have at least a silver membership to use the e-mail feature. Perhaps if x372sailor is at least a silver member, and he is interested in knowing the name of the coordinator of technicians at Nikon Canada in Mississauga, he will initiate contact with me through the radio button on one of my posts.

Thanks for the insight.

airlaw

Seattle, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#19. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 16

airlaw Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Sep 2002
Mon 18-Mar-13 07:56 PM

Here's another left side focus fix by Nikon reported in another forum.

http://photographylife.com/nikon-d800-asymmetric-focus-issue

Kit

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#20. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 17

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Tue 19-Mar-13 08:43 AM

Radio?? Mine shows an envelope,paper and pencil for email, then what looks like a yellow piece of paper with squiggly lines in front of it for pm, a face or head for member profile and what looks like an old floppy disc for a friendship request..

Sheri Becker

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#21. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 19-Mar-13 08:56 AM

I'm sorry for the confusion. Butttons you click on are generically referred to as "radio buttons", or at least I think so.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#22. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 21

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Tue 19-Mar-13 12:59 PM | edited Tue 19-Mar-13 01:00 PM by FineArtSnaps

That's right Scott. "Radio buttons" refers to a series of buttons inside a confining box. When you click (push in) one button the one that was pushed in before pops out. I suspect nobody born later than about 1970 has any idea why that configuration is called "radio buttons." The reason is that in olden times (before about 1970) many radios -- portable radios and car radios especially -- had a series of buttons that operated that way. Push one button in and another one popped out.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

wooster

UK
120 posts

#23. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 19

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Fri 22-Mar-13 12:24 AM | edited Fri 22-Mar-13 12:29 AM by wooster

Wow! I can't believe how someone can sound so happy after being messed around by Nikon so badly. Relief I guess. I suppose its the sort of gratitude an abused spouse feels when their partner stops beating them.

I am absolutely appalled by the way Nikon is treating its customers at the moment and I'm pretty much astonished by the way a lot of people are happy to excuse or forgive so easily.

I've had 3 bad D800s and the last one I sent to Nikon twice who messed it up horrible both times. After being given short shrift from them, I sent it back to Amazon ( God bless them ) and I haven't dared buy another one yet. I really don't know what I'll do when my D700s run out of clicks but it'll be a long time before I feel happy buying from this lot again. I genuinely have never had such dreadful customer service from any company I have ever dealt with.

To the OP. Woud you mind sharing how you managed to get Nikon moving on this? I ask because you mention that some people in that company do care about customers and I'd like to know how you found them. Did you have to threaten using any of the methods suggested here?

Wooster

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#24. "RE: Glad Tidings!" | In response to Reply # 22

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 22-Mar-13 02:03 AM

In some models, also shifting gears was by "radio" buttons.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#25. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 22-Mar-13 02:19 AM | edited Fri 22-Mar-13 02:51 AM by johno

Losing track of who is asking whom...

I bought the camera one of the first days it was released for sale.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#26. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 23

Fri 22-Mar-13 02:50 AM

I'm just glad to have a working camera. I hate Nikon now. There was a lot more screwing around by them I haven't detailed here. One example: send in the camera again, here's a lable. Four days later: don't send it in, we've sent your images to Japan for analysis. 2 weeks later, email from Nikon field rep: your camera is in spec but we are working to improve that spec. 4 weeks later....I call..what the heck? Nikon: ok send it in now.

That sort of stuff. There is more. But time to move on.

I will never buy another Nikon product other than a battery or the like, without waiting 12 months after introduction, and then only from a dealer with a no-hassle return policy.

How I did it: I really think it was an act of God because they insisted until the end that the camera was fine. When they said all my lenses were bad the stage was set. They requested I send all the lenses. Nonsense. They worked ok on my D300 and 700.

By testing those same lenses on a new camera at the dealer, I was able to show them all the lenses worked fine. I uploaded the images. Checkmate.

At this point it's clear they were either lying or incompetent. I'm going with lying because incompetent costs money. Lying can save money.

I never resorted to threats or calling the AG. Government cares nothing for people. The government has been useless since Hoover Dam and the Interstates were built. And the moon landing. That was cool.

Anyway, here's where I went wrong: I sometimes let weeks go by without resending the camera. I should have turned it around immediately, but I wanted it at Christmas, etc. I also wasted a lot of time with silly elaborate "tests."

I had heard honor is a big deal in Japanese culture. Nikon has disgraced itself with its handling of the D800.

So I am not happy. But I am happy to have a working camera.

wooster

UK
120 posts

#27. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 25

Fri 22-Mar-13 05:22 AM | edited Fri 22-Mar-13 05:23 AM by wooster

Well I'm glad you got it fixed in the end.

They seem to have completely lost the plot in the last few years. Their reliability is down the sink, and their customer relations completely screwed. I, too, could have detailed an awful lot more about my sour experience in talking to them about my problems. The arrogance, dishonesty and complete disinterest in my problem was something I've never experienced before from a major company.

I feel a real idiot because I switched from Canon to get all this grief. I had business reasons for doing that which seemed to make sense at the time but it is one decision I've regretted for quite a while now. I can't comfortably afford to switch back at the moment so I'm just waiting to decide my best course of action.

Even if finances force me to stay with Nikon I will not be a happy customer and will stay with them unwillingly.

Wooster

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#28. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 27

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 24-Mar-13 05:49 PM

Over the last 40 years Nikon and Canon have switched many times for which company led customer satisfaction levels of products and/or service.

Throughout the years the best means of ensuring quality service is dealing with a local dealer and building up a great relation with them, or joining the respective company's professional service.

It also helps to develop a relationship with an authorized repair center for your equipment. There are many more of these than manufacture repair facilities and often they can handle repairs in house and quicker. Or if repair center is required to send the item to the manufacturer, the repair center can do QA checks when received from the manufacturer - which can possibly save the customer trials and tribulations if an item is not repaired correctly.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

wooster

UK
120 posts

#29. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 28

Sun 24-Mar-13 07:57 PM | edited Sun 24-Mar-13 08:00 PM by wooster

Hi Clint,

I appreciate this is generally good advice and you would imagine the points you make to be the case. It would seem that many haven't found them to be that helpful in the D800 AF saga.

I actually am a NPS member. If the service I got was enhanced in some way, I dread to imagine what non-NPS members have to endure. All they did was mess up my camera more quickly than otherwise and then try to give me a cock and bull story as to why my AF was actually fine when I spoke to them on the phone.

Prior to this I was also a member of Canon Professional Services and on the occasions I used them for repair their service was speedy and effective. They did have the undesirable situation where one of their cameras ( 1D mk 4 ? ) had an AF issue of course and no company is perfect but oh dear me, this situation is way beyond that.

I'm based in the UK so the situation over here might be slightly different. The one advantage I had was that I didn't have to pay postage on the "repairs". I suspect, however, that this is a requirement on the manufacture made by British law rather than any goodwill on Nikon's part.

I would have used a particular major repair centre in the UK near where I live, who have a very good reputation and have assisted me with both Canon and Nikon in the past, but unfortunately when I asked, them, they told me they were unable to do any D800 repairs as they hadn't had authorised training from Nikon for this relatively new ( at the time ) camera. They suggested sending it straight to Nikon. ( I wonder if they knew something at that point )

I therefore used Nikon UK's only service centre assuming they might be reliable. However, the way Nikon dealt with my case was truly abysmal and I'm not elated at the thought of giving them more of my business. It's a real shame because over the years - and particularly the last 6 or so - I've been an admirer of Nikon's gear but there you go. It really saddens me not just due to my personal inconvenience and that of others, but I had always believed that Nikon looked after their customers so much better.

I don't want to moan any more about it because life's too short and it just sounds like sour grapes so I will shut up about it now. I am however in a bit of a fix as to how to replace my current gear in the next few months. I have two D700s with a fair old number of clicks which aren't going to last forever.

Anywyay, I will worry about that another day

Wooster

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#30. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 29

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 25-Mar-13 04:15 AM

It appears that the frustration that has developed is related to on-line sales since a local pro shop would be happy to let a serious client test a camera before accepting. The main problem of af with left fp is not subtle and would have been detected at the sales counter. There is a number of good reasons to make critical item purchases in person and hands on. I would never buy a car without testing the one I was getting, not just a demo unit. My main camera gear is done the same way, from a store which supports local users with full services. My deal happens ti be 10,00 km away but still use them every time i have purchased something, in person. I have been very happy with each Nikon item because I knew it was good at the time of purchase.
I have never used a better photo taking machine than my D800, and that is compared to a lot of top bodies.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#31. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 30

Mon 25-Mar-13 04:33 AM | edited Mon 25-Mar-13 04:35 AM by johno

Stan,

When I picked up my camera it never occurred to me to test the 50 plus focus points, and I was long past the return period when the Web spread the word.

Your mention of a "serious client" applies to me, even if your purchase testing protocol logic does not.

You getting a good camera is nice, but blaming people who are less fortunate is off target. All of the frustration is crisply and accurately auto-focused on Nikon incompetence, not the sales process. It's Nikon's job to test the camera. Not the customer.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#32. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 31

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 25-Mar-13 07:28 AM

>It's Nikon's job to test the camera. Not the customer.

In an ideal world, perhaps.

In reality, it will never be possible for any camera manufacturer to deliver every example of every model into the retail chain with zero faults.

Once we realise that, it's just a matter of risk assessment - if a purchaser wants or needs to be sure that a camera is free of a particular problem, they need to check it themselves. That's not shifting the blame - it's just common sense.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

venusian

US
186 posts

#33. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 32

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Mon 25-Mar-13 10:05 AM

Johno, I agree with you.

I don't think Nikon owners expect zero faults when they buy their camera. What we do expect after paying $3000-$3300 is that the camera should focus properly, that the memory card slot cover should not have to be held in place with tape or glue, etc., and if a manufacturing fault arises that they deal with their customers with honor and respect instead of denial and incompetence.

I for one will never buy another Nikon product unless it is on the market for at least a year and that any manufacturing issues are resolved to the customer's (not Nikon's) satisfaction. In fact, I may have made my last Nikon purchase, because I don't like to support a company that does not support its customers in a time of genuine need. I feel very badly for D800/800E owners who trusted Nikon's quality, bought early, and are still struggling with Nikon to get their cameras right.

Stan, believing in Nikon blindly at the time of purchase is a big mistake today. Nikon credibility/quality is not what it used to be years ago. Back then, I never went through hoops testing my Nikon cameras and lenses because I knew they would work and never had to return one of them because of a manufacturing defect. If you had gone through Johno's experience, I doubt you would be singing Nikon praises.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#34. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Mon 25-Mar-13 10:08 AM

What is really disturbing to me is two things I have read in this thread:

1. Deal with local vendors for better service, testing and ability to exchange purchases easy (I am assuming the reasons).

2. It was only through testing one's lenses at a local dealer on their D800, that Nikon even acknowledged the problem still existed.

Our local camera store went out of business due to not adequately transitioning from film services and the fact people went to Wal Mart to print pictures.

Our Ritz camera went out of business and they didn't carry high end equipment anyway.

What are people without local photo businesses supposed to do in these situations? It is really disturbing and sometimes I wish I had gone the Canon route back in 2001.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

wooster

UK
120 posts

#35. "RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress" | In response to Reply # 32

Mon 25-Mar-13 02:55 PM

>>It's Nikon's job to test the camera. Not the customer.
>
>In an ideal world, perhaps.
>
>In reality, it will never be possible for any camera
>manufacturer to deliver every example of every model into the
>retail chain with zero faults.
>
>Once we realise that, it's just a matter of risk assessment -
>if a purchaser wants or needs to be sure that a camera is free
>of a particular problem, they need to check it themselves.
>That's not shifting the blame - it's just common sense.

Fair enough, Brian, but when a fault is found, it does become Nikon's problem and if their response is outright denial, indifference, and hostility or they are otherwise inadequate in serving their customers in this situation, there really is only one way to apportion blame.

If I had sent my camera to Nikon and they had said, " Yes there is appears to be an issue with some small number of these cameras. Sorry about that but we will have it sorted for you in two weeks", and then sorted the issue within that timeframe, then I would have been a very happy customer indeed. I'd be writing on here about how great Nikon's customer service was and probably about the excellent quality of images my camera could produce.

However.......................

wooster

G