Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sat 02-Mar-13 11:06 AM

I know this has been mentioned, probably a gazillion times, but for God's sake why did Nikon swap the zoom buttons? That is very annoying.

I suppose logically. Pluses should be positioned above minuses like a Cartesian coordinate system, but why change now? End of rant.

The camera is far too fantastic to let this annoyance get to me. I will learn to switch rubbing my head and patting my belly. 😡

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#1. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 02-Mar-13 01:55 PM

Some Nikkor lenses have been designed with the zoom and focus rings in different positions.

There is no rhyme or reason to it. Perhaps one of the engineers pushed the change for just the reason you surmised, but at a point in the design process when the product manager wasn't paying attention to user experience issues. The default exposure metering scale in the viewfinder is also reversed, but at least that's easily changed in CSM F12.

Grrrr.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 02-Mar-13 06:18 PM

I'm wondering if it had to do with IF and AF-S motors and the clutches that allowed for MF override while in AF. Just a WAG from left field.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#3. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 2

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sat 02-Mar-13 07:24 PM

Anthony,

I remember retraining myself going from the D200 to the D300. When the D700 was setup like the D300, I was very happy and thought Nikon had it together at last. The lack of AF-ON buttons on the D600 and D7100 consternates me and now this button swapping on the D800. It makes me wonder whether engineering and photographers ever get a chance to communicate.

It does make sense to put that plus above the minus, but it should have been so with the earlier models. Now, they should have stuck with it. I'll just adapt

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

#4. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Sun 03-Mar-13 01:50 PM

Are you aware of the fact that you can program the OK button to an instant medium-level zoom in playback? This will greatly reduce the need for the zoom up/down buttons, as you can check focus with one press of the OK button.

Regards, Antero

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#5. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 03-Mar-13 02:56 PM

Scott:

Nikon is just doing what it can to support Nikonians.org. If they didn't do stuff like this, these forums would be dead!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16920 posts

#6. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 4

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 03-Mar-13 03:10 PM

That's what I do as well. I rarely use the zoom buttons.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#7. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 03-Mar-13 06:14 PM

Yes, and I do, if you mean the multi selector center button, but old habits die hard. Sometimes I don't want to zoom in to the level that I set it to and I do a deep zoom into the eyes, etc.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#8. "RE: Beating a Dead Horse" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 03-Mar-13 06:16 PM

Either that, or they want me to replace my D300 + D700 with another D800

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G