Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 05:31 PM

OK, first let me preemptively state - I do not like beeps, bells, whistles, or any other cheap consumer-attracting sound effects on anything. I also don't like attracting attention when I am shooting my D800. Having read Darrell Young's and Thom Hogan's D800 books, I can assure you neither of them use this function, and Thom finds the decision by Nikon to even add this to the D800 at least questionable. Both point out that happily the default setting is OFF. So I understand this must not be a very popular function.

Having established that, I personally find that there are times when having an "audible confirmation signal" (aka Beep) when the camera has achieved focus lock to be very helpful. It's one less thing I need to assess visually in the view finder, so I use it.

However, I just discovered that this function is deactivated if I change the a2 AF-S priority selection from Focus to Release mode. Everything else works like it should, including the appearance of the green circle in the viewfinder, but the beep no longer sounds with it. It only works in Focus priority mode. I tested it in Live View and the same thing happens. I also checked and the beep does continue to operate for other things, like counting down the self-timer.

I checked both Darrell and Thom's books, and the owner's manual, and clearly it is only an AF-S function, but no one makes any distinction between Focus and Release priority settings for it. It doesn't make sense to me that it would not work equally for both. If fact, it's more important in Release priority since you're more at risk of taking an out of focus image.

Is this just a glitch in my D800, or is it programmed like this in everyone's? If it is this way in all of them, am I missing the logic of why it should only operate in Focus priority and not both? If so, what is the reason? Or, do you agree that this is probably a problem that should be picked up in a firmware update?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

nikonus

Southern California, US
503 posts

#1. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 0

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Sun 03-Mar-13 08:42 PM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 08:46 PM by nikonus

Yes it seems odd , either way its an indication focus above the view finders light .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#2. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 03-Mar-13 09:53 PM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 09:56 PM by K64drb

Thanks for the reply Hans. It's no big deal to me, I am just trying to learn the camera and want to know why things do what they do. It seems like a software glitch that Nikon may want to clean up. I put the question into NikonUSA on Friday, but haven't heard back. When I do get an answer, I'll post their response - for what it's worth.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

clayman

US
30 posts

#3. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 2

clayman Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2011
Mon 04-Mar-13 04:20 AM

Hi Dave

Both my D800 and D7000 operate in the manner that you
describe, so it is not a glitch to the D800. It appears
to operate that way by design. Hearing the beep after your
shutter has released might be disheartening..

Ciao.

Jim H.

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#4. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 04-Mar-13 05:56 AM

Thanks for the info Jim. As long as it's by design that's OK.

I shoot my D800 with the autofocus solely handled by the AF-ON button, and the shutter release button only releasing the shutter - a4 AF activation is OFF. This may be why I like extra confirmation of achieving focus lock before I even touch the shutter release, since it plays no role in focusing with my setup.

I did try toggling the a4 setting to ON and OFF, and it made no difference on my question.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me. I appreciate it.

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA

clayman

US
30 posts

#5. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 04-Mar-13 12:30 PM

Hey Dave

One thing new with the D800 is...when you set AF-ON ONLY
(a4 on menu) the focus priority feature is deactivated.

On my D700 and even the D7000, the focus priority feature
still worked when AF-ON ONLY was set. I believe that was true
with other models as well. It used to save me from some
premature shutter releases... Oh well.

Jim

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#6. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 04-Mar-13 03:10 PM

Jim,
On my D800, with a4 set to OFF / AF-ON ONLY, a2 AF-S menu still allows the choice of Focus or Release priority. And they both work like they should. To check it, I tested them by manually setting the lens at infinity, pointing the camera at something close up and pressing both buttons simultaneously and held them down. With Release priority the shutter released instantly, and with Focus priority the shutter delayed until focus was achieved then fired, which is what I would expect.

In all my reading on the D800 I've never come across anything that mentioned losing the focus priority feature when you select AF-ON only. Double check your D800, you might be in for a good surprise!

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA

clayman

US
30 posts

#7. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 04-Mar-13 05:36 PM

Hi Dave

I apologize for not clearly stating my thoughts.

You certainly can set FOCUS priority on the D800, whether
in AF-S or AF-C focus mode and AF-ON ONLY. However, the D800
operates differently than earlier models (such as D700).

The D800 shutter will release, while in AF-S and FOCUS priority,
whether anything is in focus or not. This is a change from earlier
camera bodies that required the camera to be in focus (you could
over-ride FOCUS priority on earlier camera bodies though).

That is what I meant by deactivated. The setting does not function
on the D800 like true (past) FOCUS priority.

There is a discussion about this change going on now, on a fairly
recent post.

Ciao

Jim

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#8. "RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 04-Mar-13 06:23 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the clarification - my misunderstanding. That's interesting about the change, and you have my curiosity up. But I will chase this down on the other post; I don't want to get too far off subject from my original question on this one.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA

G