Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

advice on dropped camera

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 04:04 PM

I dropped my camera - the protective UV filter broke - the ring (thread) where it attaches to the lens is bent and I can't remove the filter - I took out all pieces of glass (from the filter) and tested the camera and lens and can't find anything wrong - I checked for focus & exposure mainly, I would actually prefer not to send it to Nikon, but problem is that now I can't attach another protective UV filter to the lens...I'm hesitant to use force (like Pliers) to get the ring of the filter off...any advice or suggestions? Any other way to protect my lens now apart from the lens hood?

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#1. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 07:51 PM

What lens did you have the filter on?

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#2. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 28-Feb-13 08:21 PM

Nikon 2.8 24x70

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#3. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 2

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Thu 28-Feb-13 08:35 PM

I hate to say this, but I think you should send it in, both lens and camera. I dropped the SAME setup and it cost me approx $850 to repair BOTH.

That sucks...

If you want to force the filter off, use a rubber wrench like an oil filter remover. It puts the force all around the "ring" and does not cause a bend...

Good luck...that sucks.

~Kam

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#4. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 28-Feb-13 09:07 PM

I would test the heck out of the camera for awhile with the lens without a filter. Then decide about a lens solution. Hopefully ur camera is ok.

Dan

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#5. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 4

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 11:39 PM

Carmen,

I also completely agree with Dan. Test all the functions of the camera with 24-70 lens and also another lens. If you find any issues with the combo (D800 / 24-70), then the other lens will help you isolate the problem to either the body or lens.

Hopefully, both your items are unscathed (other than the lens filter ring).

Steve6344

Aventura, US
517 posts

#6. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Steve6344 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012
Fri 01-Mar-13 12:23 AM

I dropped my d7000 (it fell my tripod) and had a similar problem. The uv filter broke and I couldn't get it off. This was just before a photo shoot. I took the broken glass out of the filter and everything seemed to work so I did the shoot and all pictures were good.

I took the camera and lens to an authorized Nikon repair shop in north Miami beach. They got the filter off with a filter wrench. The lens went back to Nikon in Melville because the zooming was rough. That was $600.The ring on the camera where the lens attached was a little damaged. That was repaired by the local service shop but it took about 5 weeks to get the part. $200.

Everything is back and seems to be working. Hope everything works out for you.

Visit my website.

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#7. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Fri 01-Mar-13 08:26 AM | edited Fri 01-Mar-13 08:36 AM by Neilwww1

Hi Carmen,

I dropped my 24-70 not long ago and managed to get the filter ring off by reviewing some youtube video's on the issue. I was very hesitant at first but making sure the glass was protected I gave it a try and I got mine off.

My filer was a Hoya brand one and after I couldn't get it off due to being very tight I carefully used a small pair similar to these : http://tesco.scene7.com/is/image/tesco/183-9747_PI_1000005MN?wid=2000&hei=2000 and slowly crimped the edge of the filter ring until it cut all the way through.

It is a risk and it paid off for me.

edit: similar to this but i was a little more careful than in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1njmB4dKc

Cheers
Neil

Richcower

US
327 posts

#8. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 7

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Fri 01-Mar-13 01:05 PM

A wide rubber band works well for getting tight filters off, I carry a couple in my bag.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#9. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 01-Mar-13 04:40 PM | edited Fri 01-Mar-13 04:43 PM by walk43

Yep......I have used that technique a few times with tight filters. Works good when they are tight....but when dented it may not. I also have a special handle with a rubber loop that I use for water/oil filters etc. that one might be able to use as well. But they are more heavy duty with a leverage handle. If I had a filter that I could not get off with a rubber band I would try that...but I would be careful. It's not a special 'camera filter wrench' but it might work.

Here is a link to Amazon where they sell special wrenches for camera filters .... and they sell them for different size filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Filter-62mm-77mm-Filters-Package/dp/B003TOWNT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362163284&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+filter+wrench

Dan

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#10. "RE: advice on dropped camera" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 04-Mar-13 01:36 PM

I have discovered that I can fit (stack) another filter onto the left-over-ring on the camera.
How will a filter that is now about 5mm further from the lens affect images?
(in the mean time, I'm still looking at ways to remove the filter ring safely, thanks for all the ideas - I could hardly believe it that there are Utube video's on removing filters, thanks for that idea too - I see that there are camera filter wrenches available as well...)
So far the camera & lens seems otherwise in good condition.

G