Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Mon 25-Feb-13 04:48 AM

As requested in another thread, I have uploaded the pictures of my recent purchase.

1. Flashpoint D12 Professional Magnesium Battery Grip, Water Resistant, for the Nikon D800/ D800E Digital SLR Camera
2. ProMediaGear L-Bracket for Nikon D800 with MB-D12 Grip

Note: The links are to Amazon without any referral.

The pictures are uploaded in Google Picasa.

I am not good in writing reviews, but if time permits, I will try to write a few words about these products.

But please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Richcower

US
323 posts

#1. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:20 PM

When I was getting my battery grip and L bracket, I spoke with someone at RRS if they'd tried their bracket with any of the aftermarket grip products. They hadn't, so I ordered the Nikon grip. I would like to have saved some money on it, but in thinking it over grips aren't a place I like to cut corners - I've had only Canon grips on my Canon bodies and went the same direction with Nikon.

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#2. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Tue 26-Feb-13 04:47 AM

Thanks for the pics.

With regard to the grip -

1. How does it handle (feel) in the hand?

2. Any buttons/dials loose or jiggly?

3. How is the Multi-Selector button? Is there any play in it? Can you easily select all the focus points using it?

4. Do you notice the mag alloy in terms of weight and robustness?

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

It's all about the light

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#3. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 27-Feb-13 01:43 AM | edited Wed 27-Feb-13 01:43 AM by liamtoh1ps

Rob,

1. How does it handle (feel) in the hand?
Perfect. It is now much better balanced with my Sigma 50-500 OS in portrait orientation. This lens was the main reason for the purchase of a grip for my D800. I never purchased the grip for my D70 (even though I moved from F5 to D70).

2. Any buttons/dials loose or jiggly?
All the dials and buttons move in the same direction as the main body and I have no issues using this grip.
But if I have to nit-pick, then here it goes -
The shutter button is not as quiet as the main body
The AF-ON button is quieter than the main body
The front and rear dial does not have a rubber-feel like main body but the click sound is same as the main body.

3. How is the Multi-Selector button? Is there any play in it? Can you easily select all the focus points using it?
This button is not as smooth as the main body. The only issue that I find is that the position of this button should have been more closer to the AF-ON button or I should have had a longer right thumb
But I believe this button is at the same position as the original Nikon OEM MB-D12.

4. Do you notice the mag alloy in terms of weight and robustness?
I have not seen/touched OEM or another 3rd party grip to compare the weight, but I did not notice that it was flimsy or too light plastic material. The rubber grip is nearly same as the main camera body. i.e. very very good match.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#4. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 27-Feb-13 06:03 AM

Thanks. Just a follow up question about the Multi Selector button. If you use it to select different focus points, do you find it difficult to move from one point to the next adjacent point? Or is it easy to move from point to point?

The reason I ask is I bought a third party grip a few weeks back and the multi selector would skip all over, making accurate focus point selection impossible.

Thanks again.

Rob

It's all about the light

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#5. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 28-Feb-13 01:20 AM

Rob,

There is no issue with the Multi Selector button on the grip. It works correctly. It also has the same functionality like on the main body when you press in the center of this button. i.e. the focus will jump to the center focus point.

Pravin.

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#6. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 28-Feb-13 03:29 AM

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Let us know how it's going in a month or so.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#7. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 6

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 04:39 AM

I will add info I can provide with the OEM Nikon grip. Both front and rear dials feel the same as on the body. Also the shutter buttons feel the same on both. AF On button feels the same on both. Multi-selector feels good and rubberized. The only thing I noticed that stands out is that the multi-selector center button makes a "click" noise when pressed. Not a big deal but is there. Compared Nikon grip to pictures from other post and the Nikon looks exactly the same. Only difference I could find was in the battery tray sealing:

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

I have a Meike grip I used first that developed the battery draw issue, so I just ordered the Nikon OEM one as I don't want to have to keep buying others that may or may not fail at some point. Not saying the Nikon one will not, but less likely to happen I would think. And the Nikon one is worlds better then the Meiki grip.

Chris
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#8. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 09:03 AM

Here's a magnesium alloy grip for $85.99 USD

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360529863438?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5490wt_1383

I don't have one of these nor can I verify the seller just located it on ebay.

Cheers
Neil

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#9. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 28-Feb-13 10:16 PM

Chris,

Thanks for pointing out the battery tray sealing in the OEM grip. Even though the listing on Amazon states that the Flashpoint grip is water resistant, I do not see any rubber/sealing material.

But I can confirm that it is made of some metal (I am not an expert to tell which material). Also, there is a metal plate at the inside bottom of the grip. This will provide added protection for someone interested in using Black Rapid style straps.

I do not notice any flex after the grip is attached to the camera and feel extremely confident of putting this rig on a tripod.

Pravin.

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#10. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 28-Feb-13 11:48 PM

Neil,

Thanks for the ebay link. I was aware that a similar grip was also available for lower cost.

But here is my reasoning for ordering from Amazon (Adorama is the seller).
1. I had Amazon Gift Cards
2. The grip has Adorama label, so if I have any issue with the grip, it would be much easier to deal with a US dealer.

Both these points may not be applicable to everyone, especially for people living outside US.

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#11. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 10

Fri 01-Mar-13 04:55 AM

There do appear to be several "brands" of mag alloy grip now on the market for the d800. The assumption would have to be that they are all manufactured by the one company.

So after market service is indeed important as you stated.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#12. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Fri 01-Mar-13 10:20 AM

I have been happy with my Meike grip. I have one for my D90 and one for my D800E and have been happy with both.

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#13. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 12

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Sat 02-Mar-13 10:37 PM

I was happy until I checked my grip last night and noticed a small piece of plastic missing where the cover meets the body just above the battery door. Not sure how it happened as I don't recall any bumps and if there were how it chipped off given its close to the body. Hmmm got me stumped.....

What strap you using with your grip?

Cheers
Neil

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#14. "RE: 3rd Party Battery Grip and L-Bracket for D800" | In response to Reply # 13

Sat 02-Mar-13 10:52 PM

Neil,

I am assuming your question is for Geoffrey (who is using the Meike Grip). So, you will have to wait for him to reply to your question.

In my case using the Flashpoint Mag.Alloy grip, I use the Nikon D800 strap. Somehow, I cannot get a warm and fuzzy feeling using a Black-Rapid style straps (where the strap is connected to the camera's tripod mount.

I have set the original strap to maximum length, hence I can carry my camera across my left shoulder and under my right arm. This is just like sling. It is very comfortable for me do not feel very heavy even after long walks.

G