Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?

Ajjra

Brooklyn, US
104 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010
Tue 19-Feb-13 11:29 AM

I just upgraded to a D800 from a D200. I used to be able to hold the D200 in my hand all day long and the button location made sense in terms if the reach of my fingers.

I don't have the D200 on hand anymore to compare, but did Nikon make dramatic changes to the shape of the grip? It's very hard to hold with one hand and also to reach the buttons. Anyone else notice this or am I just not acclimated to the new body?

dgberg

Mohnton,Pa., US
1205 posts

#1. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

dgberg Dan is an accomplished photographer and fine art printer. With his fine art printing business and workshop experience he eagerly shares a unique perspective with all Nikonians - how to produce salable professional prints to discerning customers and teaching those skills. Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Tue 19-Feb-13 10:50 AM | edited Tue 19-Feb-13 11:06 AM by dgberg

Not a one handed camera if you want good sharp shots. Tough enough getting crisp sharp shots with two hands let alone one handed. Much more of a pro body then the DX D200 and with it being full frame it has the body size to match. Quite alot stuffed into that camera you know. Mine is on a tripod 50 to 75% of the time for landscape shooting. I use the NEX 7 as a light weight carry around camera these days. At least for me my D800E is not used as a carry around camera. Many folks purchased this camera not knowing the issues of size.shutter speed restrictions. Most importantly it performs the best on a tripod with mirror lockup and remote shutter release.
Since I have my own large format printing business I have the D800E for those super large prints in my gallery and for that it makes sense.
Unless your printing large (24"x36" My definition of large) or cropping, the D800 may be overkill for you? Maybe a D7000 or D5200,sure would fit your hands alot better.

Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
www.bergscustomfurniture.com

Ajjra

Brooklyn, US
104 posts

#2. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 19-Feb-13 11:02 AM

>Not a one handed camera if you want good sharp shots.Much
>more of a pro body then the DX D200 and with it being full
>frame it has the body size to match. Quite alot stuffed into
>that camera you know. Mine is on a tripod 50 to 75% of the
>time for landscape shooting. I use the NEX 7 as a light weight
>carry around camera these days.
>Since I have my own large format printing business I have the
>D800E for those super large prints in my gallery and for that
>it makes sense.
>Unless your printing large (24"x36" My definition of
>large) or cropping the D800 may be overkill for you? Maybe a
>D7000 or 5200,sure would fit your hands alot better.
>

Oh I always shoot with 2 hands, I just like the ability to carry in one hand. I do intend to continue making massive enlargements that will be subject to close viewing.

Does the battery grip improve the grip area during landscape orientation?

dgberg

Mohnton,Pa., US
1205 posts

#3. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 2

dgberg Dan is an accomplished photographer and fine art printer. With his fine art printing business and workshop experience he eagerly shares a unique perspective with all Nikonians - how to produce salable professional prints to discerning customers and teaching those skills. Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Tue 19-Feb-13 11:13 AM

Thats good to hear. It is a fantastic camera.
Will have to let someone else chime in about the grip,as I do not have one.

Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
www.bergscustomfurniture.com

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#4. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 12:48 PM

The shape of the grip changed slightly - it's got a sharper corner on the front inside edge (near the lens mount). Here it is against the D700. http://www.bythom.com/Images/d800-v-d700-back.jpg Having had both cameras I prefer the new shape.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16919 posts

#5. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Tue 19-Feb-13 12:56 PM

While the shape is different than previous bodies (which were all a bit different), I can't say I actually notice any differences when I'm using the camera. It feels fine to me in comparison with the D700, D300, D200, etc.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#6. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 01:32 PM | edited Wed 20-Feb-13 05:47 PM by walk43

By holding with one hand do you mean to carry around? I am sure that you shoot with both hands on the camera. Even on a tripod I rest my hand on the lens unless I am using a remote trigger.

I have not noticed any inconviences in the D800 vs my D90. But it is heavier and bigger. Many folks with large hands also say that the grip makes a big differnce for them in handling, especially vertically.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos

McAllen, US
13240 posts

#7. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Tue 19-Feb-13 01:57 PM

I don't think it is any less comfortable to hold than my previous camera, the D700, but it does feel a little different. Compared to my D4, which I believe has far superior ergonomics and probably the best Nikon has ever designed, I think the D800/e comes pretty close but not quite as satisfying in the hand as the D4. For the first time since the D100 I did not get the battery grip for the D800, so I can't comment on the addition of that accessory.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#8. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 02:32 PM | edited Tue 19-Feb-13 02:33 PM by icslowmo

I came from the D7K and felt the grip was small on that body. My pinky was on the buttom edge of that body. Know I have the D800E and the grip is a little bigger and more comfortable. I also have the Nikon battery grip and don't ever take it off as it adds more room for my hand/pinky to hold the camera (adds more weight also so keep that in mined). If I could afford a D4, I would use that for everything... I got the D800E for being able to crop as I tend to shoot loose and am working on filling the frame more and more.

Chris

JM3

Daytona Beach, US
8 posts

#9. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 2

JM3 Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009
Tue 19-Feb-13 05:42 PM

Can’t definitively say whether the D12 grip improves the handling characteristics in landscape orientation or not given that I put mine on almost immediately when I bought the D800. I don’t have sufficient time behind the un-gripped camera for a good comparison.

I will say I like the ergonomics and balance with the grip very much and have no desire or reason to use it without the grip.

I’ve had grips or motor drives (back in the day) on all my SLR/DSLR cameras so it would feel strange for me not to have a gripped body.

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#10. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Tue 19-Feb-13 05:59 PM | edited Tue 19-Feb-13 06:00 PM by avisys

Also, the D800 body weighs 3 ounces more than your D200, and if you have moved from DX to FX lenses in the change, the additional weight and, especially, balance difference could be huge!

AviSys

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#11. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 06:38 PM

I have used the D800 without any grip for nearly 11 months. I did not have any problems when I upgraded from D70. It was definitely bigger and more solid. Actually I liked the more heft with the D800.

I just recently (a couple of days ago) added a 3rd party Mag.Alloy grip. I have not used it much to give any opinion whether the grip helps or not. But I am used to heavy body (used to F5) and I feel the extra weight helps in stabilizing the setup during hand held shooting.

I think the more you use D800, you will feel more comfortable as your hands will get used to the bigger size and extra weight.

Ajjra

Brooklyn, US
104 posts

#12. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 19-Feb-13 07:26 PM

Yes, I always use a camera strap as well but I liked having the camera in my right hand at the ready to lift and then shoot with 2 hands.

There is considerably less camera to hold in the grip area vs. the D200, though the D800 is taller. The D200 also had a ridge in the back which protruded into the palm of yeah hand to keep the camera from slipping.

You won't notice this at all if you carry the camera by its lens. It's only when you carry one handed with the grip area.

More time with this camera body will probably help.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#13. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 12

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 07:42 PM

I undestand what you mean about keeping the camera in your hand at the ready. I made a custom hand strap that attaches to the right neck strap mount of the camera body and makes a big loop around the back of my hand with a leather pad. I have it adjusted so that when I pull up the camera to shoot, the strap actually supports a bit of the camera weight and the lower right corner of the camera body rests on the edge of my palm. Hard to explain ....but I really like the way it feels. It provides support and procection from a fall.

I have not used a neck strap for a few years. I got it caught twice on a few things when I was carrying the camera by the lens and almost lost it to a drop. Don't want to do that again, so I switched to the wrist strap. Plus, in my opinion, the D800 with the 70-200, 28-300 or 300 f/4 is too heavy for me to carry around my neck safely. A lot of guys like the Black Rapid type of straps but I have not yet gotten used to having my camera swinging around or perhaps knocking into door jams.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

BOAZ632

Upper Marlboro, US
123 posts

#14. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 11

BOAZ632 Registered since 28th Aug 2010
Tue 19-Feb-13 08:08 PM

The D800 definitely took a while for me to get use to it. The the feel of a ungriped D700 was and IMO still is perfect. After a couple of studio sessions, I have become quite acclimated to the feel and grip of the D800 however, the thought of adding a grip has piqued my interest.

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
580 posts

#15. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Wed 20-Feb-13 12:13 AM

>... It's
>very hard to hold with one hand and also to reach the buttons.
> Anyone else notice this or am I just not acclimated to the
>new body?

I don't find it difficult to hold, though I don't like the "feel" of it as much as my old favorite, the D300, which I prefer over my D700 in that regard.

I find that weight and shape don't matter to me much once I start shooting since I'm so involved with my subjects. You're really going to enjoy the D800 once you've shot it for a while. I didn't like mine at first, but now I'm sold on it.

Congratulations on your new camera!

Mike

jec6613

Norwalk, US
1315 posts

#16. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

jec6613 Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Wed 20-Feb-13 04:26 AM

This link is relevant to this discussion:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#194,290

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#17. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 11

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Wed 20-Feb-13 11:59 AM

Could you please provide more info on the new grip? Perhaps even do a mini review? I think there would be some (myself included) who would be interested in these new mag alloy units.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#18. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 15

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Wed 20-Feb-13 02:14 PM | edited Wed 20-Feb-13 02:15 PM by kamputty

what a cool site! thanks for the link (below)

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#19. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 17

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Thu 21-Feb-13 02:12 AM

I don't know about a review, but I will certainly take some pictures and post it within a week.

ClassicNikonF

Concord, US
71 posts

#20. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 16

ClassicNikonF Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013
Thu 21-Feb-13 07:03 PM

>This link is relevant to this discussion:
>http://camerasize.com/compare/#194,290

jec6613, thanks for the link, what a great site!

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#21. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 23-Feb-13 12:11 PM

Wade -- Sizes of hands vary so much that it is just impossible to design a camera that ergonomically seems like "an old friend" to every user. The link in this thread that allows you to compare camera sizes is priceless. Cameras got larger and heavier as the FX format entered the game. I think you are correct in that you will get better used to your D800 as experience with it grows. In the end, the camera is what it is -- I think we, are who will have to adapt if we want 36 mpixels! You'll get there. (But wasn't the D200 awesome?)

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Ajjra

Brooklyn, US
104 posts

#22. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 21

Sat 23-Feb-13 03:05 PM

>Wade -- Sizes of hands vary so much that it is just
>impossible to design a camera that ergonomically seems like
>"an old friend" to every user. The link in this
>thread that allows you to compare camera sizes is priceless.
>Cameras got larger and heavier as the FX format entered the
>game. I think you are correct in that you will get better
>used to your D800 as experience with it grows. In the end,
>the camera is what it is -- I think we, are who will have to
>adapt if we want 36 mpixels! You'll get there. (But wasn't
>the D200 awesome?)

The fact that the D200 served me so well for so long (2005-2013) is amazing in the digital age. While I was always yearning for more resolution in my enlargements and dealing with high ISO noise, I absolutely felt one with the camera. Hope I get there with the D800 soon.

I just returned from shooting at an indoor soccer field with challenging light and the difference between the D200 and the D800 is tremendous. These newer sensors that can shoot in lower light make possible images I could never have had before.

JonK

New York, US
6330 posts

#23. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 23-Feb-13 03:33 PM

I agree with the others. It is imposisble to engineer the same ergonomics on two dissimilarly-sized bodies. And ergonomics have evolved over the years.

My shooting history is the D2x - D3 - D3s. My slightly small hands are comfortable with my D3s. And they love holding my much smaller and lighter D800e!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#24. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Sat 23-Feb-13 04:22 PM

I will not reiterate what my fellow Nikonians have so well put above. Having the D100-D300 plus now the D800, it takes time to get used to it. It feels heavier with the good lenses it needs and needs 2 hands to give you a sharp picture.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

vitalishe

Los Alamos, US
445 posts

#25. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012
Fri 05-Dec-14 03:58 AM

From the very first time I held D800 my impression was that Nikon messed something up with the buttons on the top of the camera that you normally access with your index finger. This is especially true for the "Mode" button. For me it is just impossible to reach that far up without releasing the normal grip of the camera.
Other than that I have no complaints.

RonPlanche

Niagara Falls, CA
90 posts

#26. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 0

RonPlanche Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Sep 2010
Sat 06-Dec-14 03:39 AM

Interesting question. I have both, the D200 is now my back up. It had a battery grip. My D800e does not. I must say right out of the box the D800 just felt perfect. Never had any issue with the D200 but the 800e was made for me. I am sure you will not miss the 200 once you feel comfortable with the 800. I would never go back nor will I look back. BTW I do not miss the battery grip even though I understand it's utility. I just don't need it. I always carry two spare batteries in my bag just in case. Only needed one once. Forgot to charge the battery after a long shoot.

Ron Planche
Ron@RonPlanche.ca

badrufus

Johnson City, US
68 posts

#27. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 1

badrufus Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2006
Sat 06-Dec-14 04:40 PM

I have a D7000 and a D800e, and both always have an L-bracket and a hand strap attached. Especially with the D800, I am often shooting on a monopod and being about to slide the camera in and out of the monopod QR via the L-bracket is really handy. I have small hands, but I find that the hand strap, snugged up fairly tight, but quite adjustable for larger hands, allows me to comfortably carry either camera in my right hand. I just flip the strap out of the way to access the CF/SD cards. I think the Kirk Cam Adapter strap at $30 is a nice strap, certainly looks easier to use than the 3X price Nikon strap. Of course you have to attach a hand strap at the bottom to a plate with an appropriate attachment location, but most Arca-Swiss plates have that.

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#28. "RE: Is D800 uncomfortable to hold vs. other Nikon's?" | In response to Reply # 14

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Mon 08-Dec-14 10:49 PM

I agree that the D700 feels better than my D810 by just a bit.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

G