Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

white balance correction in capture nx2

canamcrown

Dummerston, US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
canamcrown Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013
Tue 12-Feb-13 11:43 PM

I'm a new owner of a D800X. I've used a D2X since 2005, and Capture NX2 worked great.

However, I don't see how to correct for white balance with my D800 images...... what am I missing? I've got NX2 2.4.0.

There's no "Camera settings" tab as there is with D2X images when I load my NEF files from the D800X. That's where white balance lives for my D2X images...where do I adjust white balance for D800 images?

I'm assuming it must be obvious, but I'm missing it...

Help!!?

Jeff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4131 posts

#1. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 10:58 PM by gpoole

I don't think this is a question of D2X vs D800. You only get the Camera Settings section options for NEF files. I'll guess your are trying to edit a JPG of maybe TIF file.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

canamcrown

Dummerston, US
5 posts

#2. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 13-Feb-13 11:58 AM

Thanks Gary,

You're right that it's the obvious answer, but I've been using NX2 for years on NEF files and have processed many thousands....these are RAW files.

These are the first ones I'm attempting with my D800X, but something's definitely wrong.

When I open any of my D2X NEF files right now in NX2, everything is fine....right size, all processing options available. If I then open a NEF from my D800X, it opens as a ".NEF", but in Metadata, it lists image size as 1632 x 1080. That sounds suspiciously like a movie size, but that's not even an option...it's 1920 x 1080.

The File info in Metadata says:
File Size: 72.9MB
Image Size: 1632 x 1080, FX
Image Quality: RAW (12 bit)

On the camera, this is set for 14 bit, so I don't know why it says 12. I've gone over all my camera settings again, they seem fine.

Bizarre, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.

Thanks,
Jeff

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:17 PM

This problem sounds like something that came up a while ago. Going from memory, how are you transferring your image files to the computer? Using the older, stand-alone version of Nikon Transfer results in files being corrupted as it does not support NEF's from newer cameras like the D800 and D800E.

There is no D800X, by the way...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4131 posts

#4. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 2

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:35 PM

I remember reading another thread about CNX2 saying a file was 12 bit raw when it was actually 14 bit. I think the explanation of that was that CNX2 was out of date. Unfortunately that does not fit your case because you are already at the latest version of CNX2. I'll try to find that thread later today.

Your meta data shows an strange image size 1632x1080, a full size D800e image is 7360x4912! What do you see when you use some other tool to view the meta data? Right clicking in my Windows 7 (maybe other versions too) and selecting Properties and then Details will show the image size. Maybe something like Opanda or EXIF tool would show the bit depth info too.

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.

canamcrown

Dummerston, US
5 posts

#5. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 13-Feb-13 12:45 PM

AAAhhh!! Brilliant!

DigitalDarrell has a recent post about this exact thing. It's my old version on NikonTransfer. It never occurred to me to upgrade that. I'll just use View NX2.

Then I saw Brian and Gary's responses. And yes Brian, I do feel a little silly, I meant D800E.

Jeff

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4131 posts

#6. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 13-Feb-13 12:56 PM

Jeff

Glad you found the source of your problem. Note that with the current versions of View NX2, Transfer is no longer a separate program but hidden within VNX2.

A comment about your work flow. From your file size it appears that you are using uncompressed RAW. There is really no downside of using lossless compressed RAW. It truly is lossless. With lossless compressed your file size will be reduced significantly.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#7. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 4

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 13-Feb-13 04:21 PM | edited Wed 13-Feb-13 04:23 PM by Gromit44

Is there a 2.4.0 of NX2?

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#8. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 7

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 13-Feb-13 04:25 PM

>Is there a 2.4.0 of NX2?

There is - I missed that one!

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4131 posts

#9. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 13-Feb-13 04:31 PM

Based on the release notes 2.4.0 is to accommodate the new Nikon 1 models. You never know if there were some unlisted bug fixes as well.

canamcrown

Dummerston, US
5 posts

#10. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 14-Feb-13 11:15 AM

Thanks for that Gary. I guess I've always been paranoid about compression.....

Jeff

leonardevens

US
182 posts

#11. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 9

leonardevens Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011
Thu 14-Feb-13 11:35 PM

This will probably be of no use to you, but I had no trouble using white balance for NEF files I created on my new D800 using darktable. Darktable is powerful raw image processor which works under Linux. Since I work mainly under Linux, I have to use it, and I wondered how well it would work with my D800. It worked pretty well with my D90, and so far at least it is working with the d800.

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

canamcrown

Dummerston, US
5 posts

#12. "RE: white balance correction in capture nx2" | In response to Reply # 11

Sat 16-Feb-13 02:43 PM

Wow, Linux.

I used to work exclusively in Unix, then Linux for many years at UMass Medical School in the Biomedical Imaging Group, where we did lots of computationally intensive image processing and analysis with 3D fluorescence microscopy images.

I never worked with my photography in Linux, however. More power to you, Leonard.

Jeff

G