Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Auto Bracketing Trick

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 10-Feb-13 02:45 AM | edited Sun 10-Feb-13 02:59 AM by gpoole

If you use the self timer with Auto Bracketing, all the exposures will be taken with a single shutter press. The first image will be taken after the Self-timer delay in CSM C3. The Interval between shots in CSM C3 will be used for the rest of the shots. The CSM C3 Number of shots setting is ignored with Auto Bracketing. See page 136 in the English Nikon manual.

This allows for hands off HDR bracketing without a remoter shutter release.

A similar trick works with the D4, but on the D4 the Number of shots in CSM C3 must be greater than 1,

Thanks to Dennis on PlanetNikon for this trick. He mentioned it in comments about his new D4. I discovered it also works with a D800.

Note that neither Darrell Young (Digital Darrell) or Thom Hogan mention this in their D800 guides.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5032 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 0

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Sun 10-Feb-13 12:12 PM

Hi Gary,

I tried it but couldn't get it to work.

My settings:
BKT - 3F, 1.0
Release Mode - Self Timer
CSM c3 - Self timer delay 2s, Number of shots 1, Interval between shots 0.5s

When I press the shutter release I get the timer delay, then the first shot, then nothing. I have to press the shutter release again for each of the other 2 bracketing exposures.

What am I missing?

John

winclk

philadelphia, US
119 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 1

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007
Sun 10-Feb-13 01:28 PM | edited Sun 10-Feb-13 01:29 PM by winclk

John...the only thing I notice right now just looking at your settings is I have the number of shots I want to take in CSM set to 5 not 1.(Try setting yours to 3 instead of 1) Will check my camera settings and see if I have anything else set different from you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 1

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sun 10-Feb-13 02:18 PM

On the D800 I found if you set the number of shots in C3 to anything above 1 then the number of shots set in Bracketing will fire properly.

Len

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 3

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 10-Feb-13 02:42 PM

I just tried it again. As you state the number of shots must be grater than 1. I selected 2 shots and it went completely through my 5 shot bracket sequence. I thought I tested at 1 last night, but apparently did not.

The greater than 1 requirement is specified in the D4 manual but the way I read the D800 manual is not necessary. Obviously the D800 manual is wrong, unless the requirement changed with a firmware update.

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5032 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 4

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Sun 10-Feb-13 11:04 PM

I just set the number of shots in C3 to 2 and it worked on a 3 shot bracket as Len said. So apparently the no. of shots in C3 doesn't have to agree with the no. of shots in the bracket but it does have to be set greater than 1.

Thanks guys.

John

clayman

US
30 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 4

clayman Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2011
Mon 11-Feb-13 03:28 AM

Hi Gary

There was a thread about this subject back on 23 Oct.; the OP
felt that there was a firmware glitch because the D800E had to
be set to at least 2 in order to trigger a bracket sequence.
The D7000 self-timer can be set to 1 shot and it will fire off a
complete bracket sequence.

Also, if you set your self timer to 5, for example, and set your bracket to 3 shots, the D800 will only fire off the 3 bracket shots and then stop.

Your D90 has this feature as well, however, the number of shots
set on the self-timer has to coincide with the number of bracket
shots you set.

I do not know if it is available on the D300/s, I couldn't find it
on the D700. Ciao.

Jim H.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 11-Feb-13 03:12 PM | edited Mon 11-Feb-13 03:24 PM by gpoole

I just tried it on my D90. It appears to work if the C3 number of shot value is equal to or greater than the number of bracket steps. On the D90, C3 does not have an interval and used the CL (continuous low) rate between bracket shots. I can't find any reference to this trick in the D90 manual.

The D300 does not have this ability, C3 does not have a number of shots setting either.

Others have responded that this trick works on the D7000 too. It looks like it started with the D90. I suspect it will work on a D600 as well. I don't know if it goes down to lower level cameras such as the D5200 as well.

clickhans

UM
1161 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Auto Bracketing Trick" | In response to Reply # 7

clickhans Registered since 10th Jul 2012
Mon 11-Feb-13 08:47 PM

Hi fellow shooters,

thanks for posting, sounds promising, I will try this definitly out on D7000 and D600

Best
clickhans

G