Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Sun 27-Jan-13 10:19 PM

For those who live in santa cruz, or near, the monarch butterflies are back...more then I have seen in past years!

These were taken at Lighthouse Field (we have 2 groves, here and Natural Bridges)

~Kam

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
3785 posts

#1. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 0

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Mon 28-Jan-13 05:21 PM

What an amazing phenomenon to witness. Thanks for the pictures!

Marsha
Lethbridge,Alberta

My Website - Etched Images

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
174 posts

#2. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 1

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008
Tue 29-Jan-13 05:19 PM

What a wonderful sight. Here in the UK, the extremely wet summer this past year meant that we saw very few butterflies; our buddleia in the garden usually plays host to a number of species. Never seen anything like that swarm in your photos though. Thanks for sharing.

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

Richcower

US
323 posts

#3. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 0

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Wed 30-Jan-13 04:05 PM

What an amazing feat of nature. Thanks for sharing those photos.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#4. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 04-Feb-13 01:02 AM

We had an unusual year here in Alberta, with many many Monarch Butterfly records, whereas a normal year we would have few to none. Great to see!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Betty L

Oklahoma City, US
103 posts

#5. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 4

Betty L Registered since 27th Aug 2012
Thu 07-Feb-13 03:08 AM

I live in Oklahoma, and last year was poor for butterflies. We are in a 3 year drought, and I believe the few hummingbirds and butterflies are related to a decrease in wildflowers. Texas, Kansas for sure is in drought, who knows where else in the states but I do know the corn belt up north was hit hard, too.

Maybe that's why Alberta got more than your usual number. Slim pickings here, so they just kept moving north!

Betty

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#6. "RE: Santa Cruz Butterflies (Monarchs) are back!" | In response to Reply # 0

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Sat 09-Feb-13 09:34 PM

They're nearly gone!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G