Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Sun 27-Jan-13 12:27 AM

hi all,

Question, how often does your sensor get dirt on it?

I received my repaired 800 2 weeks ago, and they cleaned the sensor also. But today, I noticed some dirt on higher fstops (something like 8)

did a cleaning, still some dirt, need to get some more wipes monday...but only really appears at f8+...

not really that bad, just being anal.

but again, how often for you all?

BTW, I've been shooting my 24-70/2.8 wide open alot this week, and man, that baby rocks. I downloaded a DOF calculator for my android phone, and have been using that to calculate the widest stop I can use for the fasted speed etc...now all I need is a distance laser finder to really get this all working! haha!

Again, how often does your sensor get dirt? I have not removed my lens and the dirt just appeared (ok, maybe I did not notice it from nikon...)

~Kam

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#1. "RE: sensor dirt" | In response to Reply # 0

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 27-Jan-13 05:03 AM

I do a little in camera cleaning occasionally,
but have never noticed any Sensor dirt after 31k shutter releases.
I think it is a combination of tighter lens and camera sealing and years of careful handling.
Always change lens with camera facing down.
Make sure the lens is clean and use the caps.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#2. "RE: sensor dirt" | In response to Reply # 0

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Sun 27-Jan-13 06:33 AM | edited Sun 27-Jan-13 06:46 AM by Hawk Eyes

If you shoot a lot, like I do for a living. Then you will see dust on your sensor more. For sure if you shoot F8 to F22+ most of the time. It is a Easy fix in post if there is just a few spots. I found that for what ever reason my D800E gets more dust.... and at first Oil, from in camera a lot more then my other cameras.
Anyhow to make a long story short I have had to Clean my sensor many times to get it real clean. BUT after cleaning when the Camera shutter slaps after shutter release it gets dust right back on. So make sure to clean the out side edge as well..The black plastic part around the sensor.
As there is dust that gets nocked back on after shutter release. Follow the same cleaning procedure as you would clean normally, just add the plastic rim and edges around the sensor..... Rocket blower first then photographic solutions "Eclipse Cleaner" with swabs.. https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20394&mesg_id=20394&page= If you do not feel safe doing it Blah blah blah.
I could go on and on about why, what, and if... But if you clean both sensor and Edge it will help a lot. Sorry for the grammer. Good Luck !

Richcower

US
327 posts

#3. "RE: sensor dirt" | In response to Reply # 0

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Sun 27-Jan-13 02:44 PM

I don't notice more dust/dirt with the D800 than I have seen with previous DSLR's. I've managed to keep mine clean with a rocket blower, had it about 8 months.

G