Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
chroaz

Cave Creek, US
726 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Sat 26-Jan-13 05:56 PM

I was evaluating a TC-17E II 1x7 Teleconverter which I had rented prior to a potential purchase. I noticed that when my 20-200mm f/2.8 VR II was mounted to the TC there is a little side to side "play" in the coupling - between the lens and TC mounts.

So I then mounted the lens direct to my D800 and noticed the same thing, a small amount of side to side play. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I thought initially it might be a TC issue (wear etc. because it is a rented unit), but apparently not.

Thanks for any comments, observations, advice etc.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 0

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Sat 26-Jan-13 06:33 PM

I have an 800E with the 70-200 VrII ,just checked, very slight rotational play but no lateral play.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
726 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 26-Jan-13 08:33 PM

Yes, rotational play only, slight but noticeable when handling none the less. So, this is normal then?

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 2

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sun 27-Jan-13 01:29 AM

Mine also does this but also I have checked with other lenses and they all due it if you try. I think the 70-200's weight just makes it easier to notice this...

Chris

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
726 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 27-Jan-13 02:32 PM

Yes, I just tried with my 24-70mm - it does it too, but not quite as much it seems.

Thanks,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

philm35

USA, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 4

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004
Sun 27-Jan-13 05:49 PM

I just tried it with my 24-120. It feels rock solid... no movement.

--Phil

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 5

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Sun 27-Jan-13 08:01 PM

I suspect a slight rotational movement is normal, it won;t effect the focal plane so it shouldn't make any difference.

JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 0

JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Wed 30-Jan-13 07:49 PM

What you are experiencing isn't normal. All my lenses fit on the D800 and other Nikon bodies) with no play although there is some very slight rotational "give". I'd have this checked out by the Nikon service center.

BTW, the TC-17E is an excellent product. On the 300mm F/2.8 I cannot see any photographically significant compromise to image quality - like getting a top 500mm lens for a few hundred bucks.

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 6

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 30-Jan-13 08:03 PM

Yes, a small amount of rotational play is normal. It tends to be more obvious with larger, heavier lenses. It's generally only a problem if things are so worn that the movement interferes with the electrical contacts.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
726 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Mount Question" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 31-Jan-13 02:38 AM

Thanks all for the info. I suspect all is well but next time I'm in LA I'll have the Nikon service center look at it.

Yes, I've been very impressed with the TC-17E II and have purchased one - also with the service from BorrowLenses from whom I rented it.

Cheers,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

G