Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Images are darker on import

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 26-Jan-13 03:27 PM

For some reason, especially when I'm shooting in the studio, my images appear about a stop darker on import. They even appear so in the download window of LR4 - but look fine on the rear display of the camera.

Any ideas?

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sat 26-Jan-13 02:36 PM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 02:37 PM by Gromit44

Have you compared them in LR4 and NX2? (They should look right in NX2).

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 26-Jan-13 02:38 PM

Don't have NX2... gave up on Capture around version 1.2. Too slow for my workflow and now I've got LR humming so I'd rather not change at this point.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#3. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 26-Jan-13 02:45 PM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 03:12 PM by Gromit44

It must be something to do with LR4 - versions 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 support the D800. Do you have one of these?

Btw, NX2 is a lot faster now (v2.3.5) - it's 64bit.

JonK

New York, US
6325 posts

#4. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 26-Jan-13 03:32 PM

To me the question is which image, the LCD or the download, is closer to the truth. Which one more accurately reflects the histogram?

If you decide that the download is correct, just lower the LCD brightness a notch or two. Remember, there iss of yet no camera LCD that is accurately calibrated. Nikon does a reasonable job of getting LCDs more or less the same from camera to camera, but by no means do that imply that they are accurate.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

#5. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 26-Jan-13 03:35 PM

>It must be something to do with LR4 - versions 4.1, 4.2 and
>4.3 support the D800. Do you have one of these?
>
>Btw, NX2 is a lot faster now (v2.3.5) - it's 64bit.

I have the latest version of LR... but maybe I'll have to try NX2 again. But that's another story...

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

#6. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 26-Jan-13 03:36 PM

Good point! I didn't think to check the LCD brightness.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#7. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 26-Jan-13 03:48 PM

I've got CS6 & LR4 and I never trust either of them to deal with a NEF file properly. If I do want to use them I always use NX2 to convert to tiff first - that way I know it's right.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#8. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 26-Jan-13 07:57 PM

Your differences you are seeing depend on whether you are viewing RAW or JPG in Lightoom (LR) and what you have LR set up to adjust when you import images. When viewing your images on the camera LCD you are viewing jpg images processed with the settings you set up in your camera. LR has import defaults that will alter what is being imported. Check your Preferences > Presets and Camera Calibration tab of LR.

You can adjust LR for a specific type of shot and make presets to use when importing your images. All adjustments in LR can be used for defining your presets. I'd suggest the LR presets over altering things like the LCD brightness levels. For me - I don't have to worry about what I may have adjusted in my camera to make the image in LR match.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#9. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Sun 27-Jan-13 12:02 AM

I have the same problem with Apple Aperture when I have Active D-Lighting enabled. It seems only Capture NX2/View NX2 can read this information correctly (as with all the other Picture Controls). If I have Active D-Lighting Disabled and set to Neutral, what is on the screen matches what Aperture reads very closely. Disable D-Lighting and see if that helps.

This is the primary reason why I use Capture NX2 to do most of my post processing and use Aperture mainly for Content Management.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#10. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 4

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sun 27-Jan-13 01:41 AM | edited Sun 27-Jan-13 01:46 AM by icslowmo

I would agree with Jon. The LCD brightness plays a very large part in how an image appears to be exposed. The only other way to see this is with the histogram as Jon referenced to. If all bunched up to the left, then that would explain your under exposed images.

On that note, I tend to leave my brightness set to auto and seems to be close after I import images into LR4.3.

Also, as has been mentioned, active D-lighting will effect how the image is exposed. Generally I find it acts as a highlight protection mode so will under expose a bit and in software will pull up shadows. I leave mine on auto even though LR4.3 doesn't use the settings, pulling shadows a little if needed isn't much of a problem on the D800(E)'s....

Also I will add, this same thing can happen when editing on a bright (un-calibrated) computer screen. If the brightness is turned up too far, it won't match the standard print brightness of paper and your prints may turn out darker then you'd like.

Chris

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#11. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Sun 27-Jan-13 02:05 PM

Using the LCD to assess exposure is wrought with pitfalls. I'd only use it to review my composition and focus. Set your D-pad press option to be either a Medium zoom (100%) if you're a focus chimper or a histogram quick button if you're an exposure chimper. I remember getting a D50 long ago and using the LCD to adjust exposure. My results were awful.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#12. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:33 PM

One more factor to consider, if you have any modified PC's or using one that has an exagerated contrast such as Vivid, the setting is reflected in the rear JPG display but is not seen by LR when imported. Use of Active D-L will impact shadow and general scene in the JPG version. It also high tone exposure if needed which is seen in both versions of the image.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

realim

Auckland, NZ
18 posts

#13. "RE: Images are darker on import" | In response to Reply # 0

realim Registered since 06th May 2012
Wed 30-Jan-13 02:06 AM

Hi,

I shoot in RAW, Adobe RGB Color space, and use the Histogram to check my exposure.

I remember reading some advise, that the Histogram reflects more correctly the exposure when the camera is set to Adobe RGB rather than sRGB.

In very light bright conditions I always under expose 0.7 as it seems that my D800 would blow the whites if I don't.

I copy to my hard disk and import in LR for processing before exporting to PS6.

Occasionally, I'd get a better result processing directly with PS6 Camera Raw.

I'm not a fan of NX2, as many people have said before me, Nikon makes great camera equipment but the software lacks...

Hope this helps

G