Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Sat 19-Jan-13 06:21 PM

For those who purchased Thom Hogan's Guide to the D800 and D800E, he has just released a new update - Version 1.05. You should have gotten an email from him with a link to download the latest update, at no cost. The link is only valid for 30 days, so if by any chance you didn't get the email you might want to chase this down with Thom.

If you don't own this yet, I highly recommend it, to go along with Darrell Young's book. Thom covers a lot of the science and technology of digital imaging that are not unique to the D800/E by any means, but he makes them all relevant to these cameras. Very educational and very interesting stuff, especially if you enjoy learning how things work and why they work that way. For me, this basic knowledge has been very empowering and really helped me improve as a digital photographer.

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#1. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Sun 20-Jan-13 12:24 AM

Thanks. I got the email for this latest version 1.5 but did not get the email for v1.4 ... not that it really matters. But just curious.

I agree that the book it excellent. Somewhat long but I can easily skip the pages and move on the topics that I am really interested in learning.

Pravin.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#2. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 20-Jan-13 03:02 AM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 08:48 AM by Clint S

He added eleven pages and

"1.05: hundreds of minor fixes (missing/repeated words, sentence clarity, inaccuracies removed, etc.), font size issues fixed, Eye-Fi card fix, additional section on autofocus problem added, contact info updated in several spots, added references to new current products (e.g. D5200, D600, SB-910)."

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#3. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 1

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Sun 20-Jan-13 04:29 AM

I don't think he made a formal release of V1.04 - I didn't get anything anything from Thom about it either. He probably waits until there is a significant amount of new changes before he publishes a new version; even if his version counter may have incremented up one based on some minor changes he made.

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4562 posts

#4. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 3

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 20-Jan-13 08:00 AM

I only wish I had discovered Thom's books when I bought the D7000, it would have saved an awful lot of angst. Bought the D800/E manual the day my D800 arrived. What a great asset to make the most out of my investment I use it in conjunction with Darrell's book.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

craigcullum

Leederville, AU
9 posts

#5. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 0

craigcullum Registered since 14th Jan 2013
Wed 23-Jan-13 12:59 AM

As a Canon switcher, and the D800 being my first Nikon, this guide is indispensable! And the fact he sends out updates makes it even better.

With all the AF settings, dive in and buy it. Worth the cost.

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#6. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Wed 23-Jan-13 10:23 AM | edited Thu 24-Jan-13 04:22 PM by ljordan316

I agree that Thom's latest edition cleans up a lot of editorial artifacts, and it is an excellent reference. However, it still has blind spots. For example, Thom only mentions software techniques of AF fine tuning in passing. He mentions the LensAlign FocusTune software twice, but he never mentions FoCal.

These AF fine tuning software applications are an important enhancement in tuning a variety of lens with the camera body. While AF fine tuning may not be such a big issue with DX bodies or with Nikon bodies with less than 16 MP sensors, it is very important with the D800 and D800e, especially for lens over 200mm.

After shooting with both the D800 and D800e for almost 10 months now, I would not go out into the field with a lens like the 200-400mm on a D800 or D800e body that has not had AF fine tuning done with the lens. Having software to help in that tuning makes the results more accurate and gives me more confidence in the tuning.

I guess the blind spots leaves room for other new authors to fill in the gaps.

Update 1/24/2013:
I guess Thom does use FoCal information...at least he watches their blog. His latest article titled The Value of User Data provides some great insight into camera/bodies using FoCal's accumulated database.

You can go directly to FoCal's blog/database at:
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/online-tools/lenscamera-information/

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#7. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 3

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 23-Jan-13 12:28 PM | edited Wed 23-Jan-13 12:29 PM by Gromit44

>I don't think he made a formal release of V1.04 - I didn't
>get anything anything from Thom about it either.

I got an email from Thom (similar to the v1.05 email) but ignored it because I didn't realise it was an update from v1.03 to v1.04.

Clyde57

Punta Gorda, US
628 posts

#8. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 3

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007
Sun 27-Jan-13 03:45 PM

Rumor is that V1.04 was not widely distributed because it was found to have a left focus problem.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

#9. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 6

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:49 AM

>These AF fine tuning software applications are an important
>enhancement in tuning a variety of lens with the camera body.
>While AF fine tuning may not be such a big issue with DX
>bodies or with Nikon bodies with less than 16 MP sensors, it
>is very important with the D800 and D800e, especially for lens
>over 200mm.

I agree, FoCal is an excellent program. I've fine tuned my lenses to both my camera bodies.

Regards,
Craig

realim

Auckland, NZ
18 posts

#10. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 0

realim Registered since 06th May 2012
Wed 30-Jan-13 04:55 PM

I e-mailed Tom to ask for the update and below is the reply I received. I will reserve my comments, you judge by yourselves.

Try to do the right thing and sometimes it doesn't work. I never promised free updates when I began selling some of my books via download. Indeed, to do an update with this new process costs me real money: I pay per email/download. But I decided to try doing updates anyway, as I expected that to be a smooth process.
I've now tried updating twice. The results have been extremely disappointing. Basically, so many of you are on vacation, forget to download within two weeks, didn't notice the download message because it ended up in your spam folder, and so on, that I now spend many hours each week manually handling these free updates. That's on top of the physical costs of providing them. Bottom line: it means other things don't get done, things that you probably want me to do (launch the new bythom site, write more reviews/books/articles, and more).
Therefore, there will be no more free updates in the future. It's not a cost effective use of my time.
That said, I've reset your link and you should receive an email to that effect shortly. However, don't forget to look in your Junk or Spam folder: I have no control over where your email system puts an automated email. Note that the link only goes to the email that you ordered from.
--
Thom Hogan, writer/photographer
author, Complete Guides to the Nikon cameras (25 and counting)
author, 36 books on photography, programming, and computing

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4562 posts

#11. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 30-Jan-13 08:59 PM

That's disappointing to those of us who are not on vacation, did not forget to download within two weeks and did ensure the message wasn't in our spam folders!

Perhaps Thom's right and it's better never to start something when one does their best, but it falls down. I never really expected updates as I wouldn't have received them should it have been in print.

Richard.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#12. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 11

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Thu 31-Jan-13 08:52 AM

I was actually quite surprised to see his updates were complete downloads of the whole book. Surely it would be easier (for the purchaser and himself too) if he just published errata on his website?

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4562 posts

#13. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 31-Jan-13 10:49 AM

I think Thom Hogan is a very precise writer and aims always for completeness. Because of this he was trying to make the process efficient for his readers. I wouldn't have minded receiving an errata, but perhaps it would get lost as it's not possible to cut and paste it into the original document.

Richard

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#14. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 31-Jan-13 12:46 PM

I admire his efforts, but don't you find it (as a reader) more difficult to understand what has changed? In the 1.05 update "hundreds of minor fixes ... inaccuracies removed". Would be nice to know what the important changes were.

Anyhow I don't wish to appear ungrateful and I do thank him for providing any sort of update.

It's all about the light

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4562 posts

#15. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 14

Thu 31-Jan-13 01:06 PM

Well in Mb the revised edition is 25% smaller than the original. Yes, I tend to agree, but a referenced addendum would have made a lot more work or him. Anyway, hypothetical now as he's not doing any more amendments. I've kept both versions.

Richard

b702sc

US
8 posts

#16. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 15

b702sc Registered since 23rd Dec 2012
Sun 03-Feb-13 12:00 PM | edited Sun 03-Feb-13 12:03 PM by b702sc

There is another solution to the update. Do not buy his book. His comments about folks not being attentive to the notice that he emails were uncalled for.

I have noted a somewhat sharp less-than helpful tone from the guy in a number of postings, which is apparent in his email copied noted in the previous post. I have noted that he can be condescending with his remarks. I also thought his snarky comments about the folks who questioned the reality of the excess dust/debris issue on the D600 were uncalled for.

Because of his irascible attitude, which appears to be prevalent, as noted in the reply to someone who had difficulty with his "update". I am not drinking the Thom Hogan Kool-Aid. There is much to be said for taking photography courses, and just sitting down and learning the camera.

While I hear that the book is a great reference, I will not be buying his book. There are other resources available such as these forums. There is a wealth of info right here.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4562 posts

#17. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

Sun 03-Feb-13 01:14 PM

<<His comments about folks not being attentive to the notice that he emails were uncalled for.>>

I guess we all have a bad day, even on here I've seen uncalled for comments from Nikonian posters in some threads. In my experience and the D800 book is the first I bought, I have written to him 3 times to clarify a point and he has replied promptly and politely.

The Nikonian resource is of course very valuable and always my first point of call, but very occasionally it can be a bit hit and miss and inaccurate statements are sometimes made when those responding don't know the answer fully themselves. I have been found guilty of that myself in earlier days

Give the guy a chance, despite what some think his references are absolutely superb as are Darrell's.

Richard

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#18. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 03-Feb-13 01:22 PM

>I also thought his snarky comments about the folks who questioned
>the reality of the excess dust/debris issue on the D600 were
>uncalled for.

Personally, I thought those comments were right on the money. The humour brightened up my morning when I read them

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#19. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

Sun 03-Feb-13 02:54 PM

As the D800 is such a complicated machine I wouldn't rely on just one source of information in any case. But his book is a valuable resource, and just because he might have strong views and opinions on certain things doesn't make it any less so.

I'll be keeping mine.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

russg

Phoenix, US
1648 posts

#20. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007
Sun 03-Feb-13 09:07 PM

The loss is yours. Over the years, I have purchased his user guides for the D70, D200, D300 and D800/E. There are other such books on my bookshelf, each with their own value. But if I had to choose a single reference, his would be the easy choice. In addition, I learn something of value each time I browse his website, just as I do when l check into Nikonians. Over the Christmas holidays, I sent Thom an email, asking for his thoughts on the values or pitfalls of purchasing a factory refurbed D800E as well as factory refurbed lenses. I really wasn't expecting a response, certainly not until after the holidays, but a response did arrive in a timely manner, and it personally and thoughtfully answered my questions. I used his recommendations for my D800E and lens purchases. Like Nikonians, Thom is an asset to all Nikon shooters.

Russ

pentwater

Jupiter, US
175 posts

#21. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003
Mon 04-Feb-13 02:47 PM

I respectfully disagree. I too have bought Thom's books since the D200 and he has been enormously helpful to me as I work to develop my craft. I have emailed him only a couple times in 6-8 years and he has responded quickly and to the point. He seems to be a no BS kind of guy, and if you respect his work, as I do, that is a small price to pay for the service he provides to the Nikon community. Oh, and did I mention that most of the service he provides is without cost?

Enjoy your D800!

Cheers,

Bill

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#22. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 21

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 05-Feb-13 02:42 AM

+1 regarding many positive aspects of Thom. I don't fully agree with a small part of his advice for Nikon corp and one small aspect of his shooting advice, but the majority of his writings I do agree and find educational and thought provoking. I have emailed him at least a dozen times over the years and he has replied cogently each and every time. In my case, he was also instrumental in affirming a D4 purchase based on my Theatre needs and after shooting (and owning) both that and a D800E in Theatre, I believe his guidance to me was correct. The D4 purchase was a major undertaking for me and not a decision I took lightly!

I recently bought his D800 ebook (1.05) and have been poring through it, learned many things already and highly recommend!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#23. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 16

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 05-Feb-13 05:42 AM | edited Tue 05-Feb-13 05:43 AM by Clint S

"Do not buy his book." These kinds of emails just roll me.

I didn’t see anywhere he stated folks were being inattentive - but simply life was going on. There is a large difference implied by one ignoring (not being attentive) or because of several possible facts that might be unkown to the reader.

You noticed a sharp (mmm, good ear there) less-than-helpful tone - What? Somebody that is not falling all over themselves to make another feel better about what transpired is helpful! I guess a solid explantion of why somthing will not continue is reaaly unhelpful.

Snarky comments about the folks who questioned. - Well I guess this make a new standard, where someone's comments are considered by some to be snarky, that same snarkiness can the humorous commnets of the day to others (probably because it fits - like common sense.)

And then you say a prevalent irascible attitude. Yes that email was just so powerful, dominant, overwhelming, and hard to take. Just exactly what pointed out the hot temper and being easily provoked author?

You sir, are quite a word smith! It is just the meaning of the words and semantics you chose to use that seems to not best fit the post as I read them in my current state of mind. And it is my current state-of-mind which implores me to send this reply instead of simply providing it to the electronic trash bin. I do apologize because it really is just the chosen words with which I have a disagreement with.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

b702sc

US
8 posts

#24. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 23

b702sc Registered since 23rd Dec 2012
Tue 05-Feb-13 08:38 AM

I do apologize to anybody on here that I have offended. I will make no other comment regarding Mr. Hogan.

I am sorry if any of you felt as though I was disrespecting you. That was not my intent.

Sincerely,
Bill

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#25. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 24

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 05-Feb-13 09:18 AM

Thanks for that, Bill

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#26. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 19

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Sat 23-Feb-13 08:55 PM

I have recently purchased two eBooks on various digital SLR shooting and none of them compare with the detail and thoroughness of Thom's D800 book. They read like elementary school compared with Thom college material!

You can search his eBook and find just about any kind of information you need on a D800/e. I am amazed every time I go back and read a section.

He sets the bar for all other DSLR authors.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

mcgrathej

Buffalo, US
61 posts

#27. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 25

mcgrathej Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:10 AM

"Hey everyone" ... Take part in one of Mike Hagen's workshops on the D800 if you really want to get an thorough insight into this camera .. I attended his Orlando workshop in February, and it was outstanding, as are, all of his workshops!!!!

James_F

Prescott, US
567 posts

#28. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 27

James_F Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007
Sun 24-Feb-13 08:04 PM

>"Hey everyone" ... Take part in one of Mike Hagen's
>workshops on the D800 if you really want to get an thorough
>insight into this camera .. I attended his Orlando workshop in
>February, and it was outstanding, as are, all of his
>workshops!!!!

I ask this objectively and without any intended meaning or disrespect to anyone, including Mike Hagen - what would I learn at a Hagen workshop that I couldn't learn with Hogan's eBook on the D800/E, given that I am familiar with the nuances of the Nikon's menu systems and most of the choices?

Jim F. from Prescott, AZ
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com

pentwater

Jupiter, US
175 posts

#29. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 28

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003
Sun 24-Feb-13 09:02 PM

>>"Hey everyone" ... Take part in one of Mike
>Hagen's
>>workshops on the D800 if you really want to get an
>thorough
>>insight into this camera .. I attended his Orlando
>workshop in
>>February, and it was outstanding, as are, all of his
>>workshops!!!!
>
>I ask this objectively and without any intended meaning or
>disrespect to anyone, including Mike Hagen - what would I
>learn at a Hagen workshop that I couldn't learn with Hogan's
>eBook on the D800/E, given that I am familiar with the nuances
>of the Nikon's menu systems and most of the choices?

Hi Jim,

To your point, I think attending a seminar is a different type of learning experience in general. If your style of learning is like mine and you have a pretty good handle on the Nikon menu system, a complete book would always be my personal preference. The book will always be available to me on my iPad, while the workshop learning is dependent on my very fallible memory! That said, some folks style of learning is very hands on and the workshop would be in order.... I would argue maybe with Thom's book purchased as well!

Happy shooting!

Best,

Bill

mcgrathej

Buffalo, US
61 posts

#30. "RE: Thom Hogan's D800/D800E Guide - new update just released" | In response to Reply # 29

mcgrathej Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Mon 25-Feb-13 12:41 AM

Have you ever attended any of the Nikonian Workshops ?

Earl

G