Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

MB-D12 Multi Power Battery Pack for D800 Camera

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 10-Jan-13 11:54 PM

While my D4 and lens are at the shop and delayed with a "Parts Hold" note, I went ahead and ordered a D800. It should be here tomorrow.

I read the specs for the MB-D12 grip on the B&H site. I've always had a grip on my older D300 bodies, which was worth the extra expense to get the extra frame per second. For $400, I would have hoped the MB-D12 would speed the frame rate on the D800. Other than switching to 1.2 Crop, is there any way to speed up the D800? Different batteries, etc?

I didn't see any sort of option to use EN-EL18 batteries either? I'd love to see that option since I already have several for the D4.

I saw several options for third party grips, and I read a lot of the threads discussing the pros and cons.

I have to decide whether to spend the bucks on a MB-D12 soon so I can get the appropriate L-Bracket for the body. Sounds like there might be some issues using a RRS bracket on some of the third party grips.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#1. "RE: MB-D12 Multi Power Battery Pack for D800 Camera" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Fri 11-Jan-13 12:59 AM

To answer your question, yes you can use the EN-EL18 battery in the MB-D12 grip if you buy the extra cover for it:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Battery-Chamber-Covers/27008/BL-5-Battery-Chamber-Cover.html

With either your EN-EL18 battery or 8 AA batteries, the camera will do 6 fps in DX crop mode only. I believe it's still 5 fps even with that setup in 1.2x crop mode. Where as with no grip will only do 5 fps in 1.2x crop or DX crop. So only reasons to use the EN-EL18 battery, would be if you already have a D4, which you do, and to get even longer battery life compared to 2x EN-EL15 batteries.....

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Chris

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

#2. "RE: MB-D12 Multi Power Battery Pack for D800 Camera" | In response to Reply # 1

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 11-Jan-13 02:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. After checking the link you sent, I did more searches and found the information about 6FPS in DX crop mode. Being able to use my extra D4 batteries is a plus, too.

I'll probably get the grip now.

Thanks again,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

G