Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Sun 06-Jan-13 03:25 PM

The Really Right Stuff L bracket for my D800E makes it impossible to open the door to the connections (HDMI, USB, etc.) on the camera without using some type of tool (paperclip or other object). I cannot open it with my fingers. This is not a big problem but I am curious whether this is normal. I emailed RRS with this question but have not received a response. Since I am not really concerned about it I have not followed up with RRS. Do those of you who use the L bracket with your D800/E experience the same difficulty? If so do you have any recommendations of what "tool" to use to open the door? I don't like to poke around on the rubber seal with sharp objects in order to open the door. I will be interested to learn what your experience has been with this setup.

JDT

cchoc

Marietta, US
5120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Sun 06-Jan-13 03:48 PM

I have RRS brackets on my D3s and D700 and have the same issue there. I got a Kirk L bracket for my D800E (mainly because I ordered everything from B&H and they sell Kirk and not RRS) and I am able to get my thumbnail in from the back and open the door, so it has a bit more room on the back between the body and the bracket.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#2. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Sun 06-Jan-13 04:15 PM

I've had my D800E for 9 months and never had a reason to open that cover; what are you guys doing that you need access? I have the RRS bracket and it looks like you could just leave the door open slightly and be able to open it with your fingernail.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#3. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 06-Jan-13 04:56 PM

I have the same problem with my Kirk L-bracket on my D800e. The same problem also occurs with the Kirk L-brackets on my D4, D300, and D90. I've just learned to live with it.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#4. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Sun 06-Jan-13 05:14 PM

Use a credit card to open the connector cover. Just slide it through the opening between the L-bracket and camera body. Works like a charm.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cchoc

Marietta, US
5120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 2

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Sun 06-Jan-13 05:53 PM

The only time I open mine is to download to my iPad when I'm camping to better see how a shot turned out. But I don't do it often enough that it's a big issue.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#6. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 06-Jan-13 06:47 PM

Hi Charlie,

I am glad the Kirk bracket works for you. I have used both brands (RRS and Kirk) on other cameras and all of them allowed access to the door without using anything to pry it open.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#7. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 06-Jan-13 06:49 PM

Hi Dave,

I don't know how often I will need to open the door. However, I go on the assumption that I will need to open it on the occasion when I am not able to do so.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#8. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 06-Jan-13 06:52 PM

Hi Gary,

I can certainly learn to live with it. It is not a big deal. I was mainly interested in learning whether my bracket was perhaps out of spec or defective. I did not think so; however, the other L brackets I have used did not block access to any controls so I thought that there might be a problem with mine. If you and others have to put up with the "problem" I can also do so. Thanks for the post.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#9. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 06-Jan-13 06:58 PM

Hi Larry,

I tried your credit card tool method and, as you say, it does work like a charm. It is certainly a better tool than paper clips or other sharp objects, which might damage the rubber seal. The only problem I see with your method is that it puts a credit card in my hand. I try to avoid that since I might be tempted to buy more camera gear. I recently paid the credit card charge for the D800E and I am still smarting from that blow. Thanks for the credit card tip.

JDT

Bodger

Toronto, CA
29 posts

#10. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 9

Bodger Registered since 29th Mar 2004
Sun 06-Jan-13 07:26 PM

I have the Markins L bracket (LN-800). It has a small cutout that allows a fingertip to reach in and pop the door open. No other tools required.

John

Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity. - Edwin H. Land

A Torontonian Nikonian

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#11. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 06-Jan-13 07:51 PM

Hi John,

I have the Markins M20 ballhead but I did not realize that Markins made L brackets. It sounds like the Markins may be the better bracket. I assume that it is finely machined and top quality like the ballheads.

JDT

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#12. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Sun 06-Jan-13 09:29 PM

I'm a little confused by all this . . .

My RRS D800 brackets (w/ & w/o battery pack) have an adjustable mounting screw so that you can back off the bracket from the left end of the camera if you are in the habit of using that door. About 1/4" gives you easy access to the door.

It appears to me that that option allowed RRS to make the bracket a bit narrow on that end to minimize the added dimension to the camera.

I think the cutaway is not to get your finger in there ('cause it doesn't with the bracket tight against the left end of the camera body) but to provide additional clearance for cables.

AviSys

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#13. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 06-Jan-13 10:04 PM

Hi Jerry,

I think that it would work to move the bracket out a bit as you suggest. However, I think that there is a place on the mounting rail that is meant to accomodate the mounting screw in order that it is more secure in that position (which places the bracket snug against the camera body). I am unable to check that at the moment so I could be wrong. That, of course, is not to say that the bracket would not be secure if one did move it out a bit as you suggest. In any event it is clear that none of us who have noticed this issue are going to lose any sleep over it. As noted above I was mainly interested in finding out if others were also unable to open the door without using some type of improvised tool or object to do so. I have no difficulty opening the door on my D200 with my fingers with the L bracket mounted. It appears that the D800 bracket could have been designed a little better but that is a nitpick and not a serious complaint.

JDT

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#14. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 13

avisys Basic Member
Sun 06-Jan-13 11:48 PM

Actually, with the bracket tight against the left end of the camera/battery pack, the mounting screw is in the location where it can be UN-screwed from the bracket.

AviSys

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4967 posts

#15. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 11

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 07-Jan-13 12:01 PM

I use Markins' plates on ALL my cameras, they are very nicely machined.

In my case, when I mount a camera to support, it is either onto a monopod tilt-swivel or a gimbal. To mount on these I need forward orientation which Markins' unique bi-directional plates provide. The D800 bi-directional plate is the nicest one yet, with a beautiful curved outline exactly matching the curves at the base of the D800 body. These bi-directional plates are not, as far as I am aware, available in an L-design, but I have my monopod tilt-swivel which can be mounted to my gimbal to allow portrait orientation shooting. Because I use a gimbal, I don't use a ballhead (aside from I have one for my ground pod for occasional use).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Lossie

UK
17 posts

#16. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 14

Lossie Registered since 11th May 2012
Mon 07-Jan-13 06:03 PM

D800 and RRS L. I go with AviSys on this

Bu Lai En

Genesee Depot, US
31 posts

#17. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 4

Bu Lai En Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009
Mon 07-Jan-13 10:34 PM

Credit card works great. I open the door regularly for tethering. Now just tell me an easy way to close the dang door.

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#18. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 08-Jan-13 02:40 PM

I use the lever on a fingernail clipper I keep attached to my key chain. It is very smooth and hasn't damaged the rubber seal.

my Nikonians gallery.

mgd7

New York, US
104 posts

#19. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 2

mgd7 Registered since 06th Mar 2012
Tue 08-Jan-13 05:49 PM

If you were shooting tethered or doing video with an external mic, then those are all reasons to have the cover open.

I had to use a paperclip to open the cover of the D300 with the RRS L-plate installed. With the D800, I wasn't sure there was even enough clearance for that, so I've been repositioning the L-bracket to give more clearance (admittedly, a royal pain in the you know what).

Mike

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#20. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 18

Wed 09-Jan-13 01:17 AM

Hi Neil,

Well, credit cards, lever on fingernail clipper...it all goes to show that there are suitable tools to get this job done without using sharp objects. Now I am satisfied that there is nothing wrong with my bracket, that everyone else has the same problem and that there are suitable tools available to solve the problem. Thanks for the tip.

JDT

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#21. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 20

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 09-Jan-13 11:22 AM

I don't think any L bracket deals with door access as well as we would like, but differences in bracket design and camera body design, especially the size and shape of the door, yield slightly different results. Some brackets provide slightly better access than others. It's just the nature of the beast!

I personally prefer the models with the thumb cutout, which I think helps a bit although not in all cases and with all size thumbs!

my Nikonians gallery.

craigcullum

Leederville, AU
9 posts

#22. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 1

craigcullum Registered since 14th Jan 2013
Wed 23-Jan-13 01:06 AM

Its a pain but is that not why the RRS L Bracket has the sliding slot so you can slightly loosen the bolt and slide the L bracket out to the side, open the cover then slide it back and tighten it.

florencio

Waimanalo, US
16 posts

#23. "RE: RRS L Bracket Obstructs Connector Cover." | In response to Reply # 0

florencio Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Sat 26-Jan-13 03:20 AM

I have no problems open it with my finger tip/finger nail, but then I don't have large fingers. If you are trying to insert a USB or HDMI mini or headphones jack anyone one of those works. They usually don't have sharp edges.

G