Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Native resolution and other MP sizes

MaxBistro

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MaxBistro Registered since 06th Jan 2013
Sun 06-Jan-13 03:15 PM

Ok...so this is a confusing issue for me and occasionally there is a brain f**t and I have not received a definite answer from BH Photo....no, have not talked to Nikon at this point.

FACT: When the setting is RAW only, there is no option to set L,M or S, at least on the D7000 so it would seem that it is shooting at the native resolution on the camera of 16.2 MP.

FACT: The L,M or S image size applies to .jpg only so with reference to the D7000 the L=16.2 MP .jpg, M=9.0 MP .jpg and S=4.0 MP .jpg

Question 1: Regarding the Nikon camera such as D7000, D800, when the camera is set to shoot at "RAW + jpg Normal-S(mall) my understanding that the "Small" refers to the image quality of the .jpg file only and the RAW (NEF) file is ALWAYS the native resolution of the camera ie: 16.2, 36.3 respectfully, is this correct?

Question 2: When considering the purchase of the D800, is there any way to set the camera to shoot anything less than 36.3 MP with a RAW file?

Maybe I'm answering my own questions

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#1. "RE: Native resolution and other MP sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Sun 06-Jan-13 02:32 PM

1) RAW is always at the native resolution.
2) No

Enjoy!

Randy

D Davis

Austin, US
2 posts

#2. "RE: Native resolution and other MP sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

D Davis Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Sun 06-Jan-13 02:36 PM

Shooting Raw Compressed or Raw Lossless will create a smaller Raw file than Raw uncompressed. These option are in your settings menu.

For question 1, the small, medium, and large only effects the JPEG. The Raw size is still determined by what you have set up in your menu area as Raw compressed, Raw lossless compression or raw uncompressed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: Native resolution and other MP sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 06-Jan-13 02:56 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 02:58 PM by briantilley

Welcome to Nikonians, Bob

Answer 1: You're correct that the choice of Image Size - L, M or S - applies only to JPG images.

Answer 2: Whilst NEF images are always native size, the D800 has a selection of Crop Modes which use smaller areas of the sensor, and thus produce lower NEF file sizes. The pixel dimensions of the various crop options are:

FX (the whole sensor) - 7360 x 4912
5x4 - 6144 x 4912
1.2x - 6144 x 4080
DX - 4800 x 3200

NEF file sizes can also be reduced by selecting one of the Compressed NEF options, as mentioned above.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#4. "RE: Native resolution and other MP sizes" | In response to Reply # 2

avisys Basic Member
Sun 06-Jan-13 08:40 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 08:44 PM by avisys

>The Raw size is still determined by what you have set
>up in your menu area as Raw compressed, Raw lossless
>compression or raw uncompressed.

Lest this confuse the OP, the RAW file is always the native resolution.

The compression options change the RAW file size, not the resolution --- the compression options invoke in-camera processes to reduce file size, sometimes to the detriment of quality, but the resolution always remains the same.

As an aside, JPG is always detrimental to quality -- the question is, can you perceive it?

AviSys

MaxBistro

US
2 posts

#5. "RE: Native resolution and other MP sizes" | In response to Reply # 4

MaxBistro Registered since 06th Jan 2013
Sun 06-Jan-13 08:47 PM

>>The Raw size is still determined by what you have set
>>up in your menu area as Raw compressed, Raw lossless
>>compression or raw uncompressed.
>
>Lest this confuse the OP, the RAW file is always the native
>resolution.
>
>The compression options change the RAW file size, not the
>resolution --- the compression options invoke in-camera
>processes to reduce file size, sometimes to the detriment of
>quality, but the resolution always remains the same.

Thank you for your clarification, I did assume that the actual MP was not being reduced in RAW merely by reducing the compression
>

G