Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bangkok Paul Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 02-Jan-13 06:27 PM

The last 2 years haven't been taking that many pics with my big cameras. Using mostly just my V1 and ASW pocket camera in the water at the beach for snapshots of my 4 and 5 year olds. I tend to rotate hobbies. But, broke down and got a D800E and have some first pics in the Thailand section of my gallery. Still getting use to it but if you do your part it REALLY does it's part and provides the detail. Too bad I can't post full size pictures in my gallery here. I got about all the lenses up to the 600mm F4 so I don't need to spend more money there.

D3, D700, D300, D2X & D200
New 14-24 F2.8 too!
If your not shooting Nikon your doing
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 ( file)

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3573 posts

#1. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 03-Jan-13 02:04 PM

Some lovely photos in your gallery, particularly of the family. How long have you been in Thailand? I visit occassionally but less often nowadays. I enjoy all of Southern Asia and not that I have gotten back into photography after decades of film, I would love to go back for an extended photo journey. The D800 sure is a good motivation to reshoot so many regions I first did with film 30 years ago.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#2. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 03-Jan-13 11:59 PM | edited Fri 04-Jan-13 12:02 AM by Bangkok Paul

>Some lovely photos in your gallery, particularly of the
>family. How long have you been in Thailand? I visit
>occassionally but less often nowadays. I enjoy all of Southern
>Asia and not that I have gotten back into photography after
>decades of film, I would love to go back for an extended photo
>journey. The D800 sure is a good motivation to reshoot so many
>regions I first did with film 30 years ago.
>Stan

Thanks for the nice comments about my pics. I really want to get back to Africa for same more big cat pics. It's been almost 5 years since I spent 10 days their in the bush taking animal pics. My favorite is the one of my group and I reflected in the eye of the wild king cheetah. If you go about 100 picture back in the "My Life section of my gallery you'll see the Africa pics.

If you get to Thailand, look me up and you can drink some of my Scotch in the clubs in return for giving me a chance to practice my Russian. I used to be able to pass for Russian despite being an American. Actually, I'm mostly Thai after 13 years of living here in Thailand mostly. I read and write Thai. My Russian doctor friend doesn't get to many of the local ham radio meetings, so my Russian is going down hill fast. Need a trip to Italy too to get my Italian back up to speed. There are a lot of Russian tourist in Thailand now and they hear me speaking English or Thai and are almost shocked when I switch to Russian. But, I've forgotten most of it. My Russian is REALLY bad now, I think.

I own a software company with centers in the U.S., Thailand, and Lithuania. Lived in Lithuania for 5 years most of the time starting it up and got around speaking Russian. I got so good at saying I don't speak Lithuanian IN Lithuanian that no one believed me.

SE Asia IS a great place for taking pictures. I need to get back to Cambodia again with the D800E. I get to see a Thailand that tourist just can't see. I drive all over the country and take pictures. Speaking the language and being able to read the road signs in Thai, helps a LOT, when you get off the beaten path. Having extended family here, also gets you to places and pictures opportunities that tourist don't have. I like my Thai country kitchen pics and those of the rest shed in the rice field in the morning fog. I need to get backing to taking underwater pics and videos and do more scuba diving again too. I have a video of 12 sharks circling me in Burma that really impresses the girls.

And, AAHHH the Thai girls. I think the most beautiful in the world and with good hearts too. VERY sweet and caring. They make great wives too. But, you have to be careful. I always joke the that MOST beautiful girl I ever saw, was a GUY in Thailand.<G> I think maybe half the guys here are gay, so the women here are a little desperate to find a good husband. As a result, many if not most wealthy Thai guys have a palaiya (or senior wife), 2 or 3 mia noi's ( or minor wives) AND a few fan (girlfriends). I was 60 and had no kids. Now I have a 5 year old daughter and a 4 year old son. Even a fat, old guys like me gets chased by beautiful 20 year old girls that look like they should be Victoria Secret models when they hear you speak Thai and see you as a prospect. They are also really smart and have advanced degrees, so they are interesting too. This accounts for all the pictures of beautiful Thai girls in my gallery.

The international schools here for kids are great if you have the about $10,000 per child for the yearly tuition. By 10 years years they will read, write and speak with native proficiency Thai, English and Chinese for that money. It fun to watch my kids switch languages like that at 4 and 5 years old. So, they are the joy of my life and lately I've only had time for pictures of them.

But, your right again. The my D800E is a good reason to take a lot of pictures again. For low light and action, I still prefer my D3 or D700. But, most of the other stuff is a reason to travel here and go to all the old spots and see what I can do with the D800E. But, it is VERY unforgiving. You have to have perfect technique. But, when you nail it, WOW! I'm getting competent again with my DSLR's.

Nicole is my favorite model right now. I take pictures of her about every 3rd day. I'll try to post some shots of her followed by tight crops of her beautiful eyes to give those that haven't made the D800 purchase yet and idea of what you can do with it.

New 14-24 F2.8 too!
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#3. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 04-Jan-13 03:21 AM | edited Fri 04-Jan-13 03:35 AM by Bangkok Paul

New 14-24 F2.8 too!
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Here is a shot of Nicole, slightly overexposed on purpose:

Here is a crop of her eyes. Thai girl like to wear contacts that make their eyes sparkle brown or blue.

Their are some sexier swimsuit shots on here in my gallery.

New 14-24 F2.8 too!
it WRONG!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#4. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 09-Jan-13 10:50 AM

I've had another week of taking pictures exclusively with my D800E. I've taking pictures of my kids, wife, and a LOT of glamor nudes of Nicole. Several 100 pictures all together.

Even with good technique and the best glass you don't get perfect sharpness much of the time if you hand hold. You get good focus and GOOD sharpness, but you really need a good tripod and head to see the detail that the D800E is capable of providing. You can get great sharp shots handheld IF you do your part. But, I'm VERY careful and I can still tell the difference when I use a tripod or not. This is what I expected. For low light and action, by D3 is a better camera. But, I must say the D800 is my favorite for portraits.

There MAY have been some early production upper left focal point problems with some units, I sure there were, but I don't see it in MY camera.

D800E, D3, D700, D300, D2X & D200
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

jxv777

Kirkland, WA, US
424 posts

#5. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 4

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2009
Wed 09-Jan-13 04:31 PM

High quality shots of beautiful ladies!

James

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3573 posts

#6. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 4

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 09-Jan-13 07:03 PM

Thank you for the background on your being there. I have been in Russia for 9 years and still do not speak enough, although reading and writing is enough to run a business.
I do not travel as much as I used to, having too much fun hanging out here but just knowing that any place in Europe is within 3 hours is enough to feel connected. I still have been going back to the US too often, getting visas renewed but now there is a 3 year visa for Americans that will save me $10k a year in traveling for visas. That can buy a lot of glass;>) But it will probably go for nightclubs and socializing, which is the best use of money I can think of right now.
If I can get away this spring I would sure like to go to Thailand, Cambodia and Viet Nam again. I will keep your kind offer in mind.
Keep having fun, nothing else is so important....
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#7. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 10-Jan-13 09:10 AM | edited Thu 10-Jan-13 09:14 AM by Bangkok Paul

>Thank you for the background on your being there. I have been
>in Russia for 9 years and still do not speak enough, although
>reading and writing is enough to run a business.
>I do not travel as much as I used to, having too much fun
>hanging out here but just knowing that any place in Europe is
>within 3 hours is enough to feel connected. I still have been
>going back to the US too often, getting visas renewed but now
>there is a 3 year visa for Americans that will save me $10k a
>year in traveling for visas. That can buy a lot of glass;>)
>But it will probably go for nightclubs and socializing, which
>is the best use of money I can think of right now.
>If I can get away this spring I would sure like to go to
>Thailand, Cambodia and Viet Nam again. I will keep your kind
>offer in mind.
>Keep having fun, nothing else is so important....
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I know what you mean. I'm over my limits on wives already by American standards, but Nicole does make me think. Jojo is less than half my age and Nicole would be less than a third. There's got to be a limit there somewhere. But, after my last shots with the D800, Jojo said no more pictures until she has been time for the spa and waxing her legs. I guess I shouldn't have called her "monkey legs" after I look at the shot at 100%+. A downside of the D800E.

When I was in the military, I spent 95% of my money on stereo equipment, women and booze. The rest I spent foolishly! If you get to Thailand, I'd be glad to show you around some.

it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3573 posts

#8. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 10-Jan-13 07:37 PM

Ah...no, "monkey legs" does not go down with ladies in any culture, even if they are too gorgeous to notice such a comment must have been directed towards someone else.
St Petersburg is known for very attractive ladies also and it is very pleasant to have so many as friends, partly because I do not chase them and they appreciate it. I spend a lot of time in dance clubs dancing until dawn, great exercise and fun. I have 40 years more practice than the kids so they can't stay on the dance floor as long;>)

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#9. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 24-Jan-13 09:05 AM

Well, another week of taking pictures with my D800E. It keep amazing me.

Jojo's off building her comestic empire. Deah and my Daughter are off to Korea skiing this week. I've been taking so many pictures of Nicole that she just stays with me now, when she is not on a professional shoot as a lingerie and glamor model. I have 200 nudes I've taken of her and copies of most of her professional shots. I must say I like my nudes better with my D800. Haven't figured out the rules for the glamor section and not sure I've ready to share my nudes of her of lingerie shots yet. But, we were getting ready to go out to dinner 2 days ago and I saw her in the light of the setting sun and decided to do some high ISO shots.

I am amazed at what the D800 will do at ISO 6400. Here is a shot and a crop of the shot so you can judge for yourself.

it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#10. "RE: New D800E First pics" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 24-Jan-13 03:33 PM

Here is a couple of shots of Nicole from my gallery with the D800 too.

it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

G