Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Tue 01-Jan-13 12:15 AM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 01:51 AM by GaryPk

Anyone doing Long Exposure (20 sec +)Photography with D800e? If yes, please post some examples and any thoughts on enhanced technique with this camera. The need to increase shutter speed with the D800 for sharp images, even on a tripod, has me concerned. I will be heading to the beach next month. Thank you ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#1. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 0

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:29 PM

Why do you need to increase shutter speed when using a tripod?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#2. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 01-Jan-13 02:03 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 02:05 PM by ericbowles

Here are a couple of night photography images at 15 seconds. I don't have anything handy at longer exposures. These are at ISO 1250-1600.

I don't know of any issues that would impact using the D800/D800E for long exposures.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#3. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 2

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 04:24 PM by GaryPk

Thank you ... There has been so much written about the need to increase shutter speed for sharp images at this resolution, and some have even said to shoot at higher speeds on a tripod too, that I was concerned that long exposure would be like photographing Aspen leaves in a breeze .. muddy. Apparently not .. beautiful night shots.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16964 posts

#4. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 3

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:25 PM

Unfortunately, info regarding the D800 is grossly exaggerated and misrepresented on-line.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16964 posts

#5. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 2

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:25 PM

Great shots, Eric!

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Aqualad

Gainesville, US
28 posts

#6. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 0

Aqualad Basic Member
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:47 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 04:49 PM by Aqualad

Here are several long exposure images I recently shot with my D800e. The first two images are 30 second exposures; the third was nearly three minutes. I would imagine that, if your tripod is rock-solid, you will not have any difficulties, and you will be quite pleased with the long exposure images you are able to take at the beach.

Curt
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Visit my Website.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#7. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 01-Jan-13 04:50 PM

WOW .. now I am getting excited!

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#8. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 3

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Tue 01-Jan-13 05:21 PM

Hi Gary,

This is one of my favorite subjects. Most of my successful long exposure photos were taken many years ago with my Rolllei and involved considerable modifications to accepted developing procedures. With my D70 and D200, I had virtually given up due to noise, dynamic range limitations and the really excessive post processing necessary to achieve a decent print.

All that changed with my D700 and D800E. My most important advise is to experiment. I have been pleasantly surprised on several occasions.

D800E, 24-70 mm f/2.8 @ 55 mm, 1/20 sec @ f/4, ISO 6400 No exposure compensation.

This image of ashes being cleaned from the firebox, while not a great image, is an example of choosing a high ISO over a low ISO. I shot over a wide range of ISO's and selected this image to print because the water and steam looked more natural compared to shots with longer exposure. Some noise can be seen, but when the image was resized for an 8.5 x 11 print, it was not noticeable. Except for white balance adjustment, there was very little post processing and only slight sharpening.

D800E, 24-70 mm f/2.8 @ 29 mm, 15 seconds @ f/16, ISO 100 No exposure compensation.

This image was a lot more difficult due to the predominant mercury vapor lighting mixed with other fluorescent light sources. Dynamic range was not a problem except for the "Williams Flyer" sign. It was blown out so badly that I had to paste it from another frame. I chose to risk a little diffraction at f/16 to get greater depth of field. The 16 x 20 is gorgeous. (I hope that does not sound too immodest.)

On this, as usual, I took the first exposures at ISO 6400. When I was satisfied with the histogram and cognizant of the "blinkies", I used an EV table to determine the the corresponding ISO 100 exposure. This saves a lot of time. For this exposure, however, the camera meter was very close.

I hope these examples demonstrate the incredible versatility of the D800 in low light situations and encourage you to experiment.

Phil

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#9. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 01-Jan-13 05:24 PM

Immodest? Hardly, these are fantastic. Thank you ..

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#10. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 2

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:22 PM

Absolutely beautiful, Eric!

Which lens did you use for these?

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#11. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 8

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:26 PM

Hi Phil-

Two beautiful shots!

I am a trains aficionado, so I can enjoy the two shots. The fire underneath the engine is interesting on many fronts. Makes a non-expert like me, wonder what is going on: a fire, crash, etc.

The perspective on the second one is great. Follow the train, and then to the station.

Worthy of framing.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#12. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 11

Tue 01-Jan-13 06:59 PM

Dan,

It is really quite simple. The locomotive is a coal burner and the night crew is emptying the firebox as part of the shutdown process. The cinders fall into a pit and, when cool, they are removed by a front-end loader for disposal.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Phil

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#13. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 3

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 02-Jan-13 01:22 AM

Gary - don't worry about shutter speeds on a tripod, they'll be no different to any other FX Nikon at the same settings. All you need is a good solid tripod/head combination and a wireless release.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#14. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 10

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 02-Jan-13 08:15 AM

These were both taken with the Nikon 24-70 lens. Both were ISO 1600, 15 seconds. The top one was f/3.2 and the bottom one was f/2.8. Focal lengths were 31mm and 24mm respectively. Everything was calculated based on the 500/focal length rule of thumb so a 15 second exposure was about what was needed to prevent short star trails.

Both of these were taken in the Smokies. The top image was from Clingman's Dome during the Orionid meteor shower. The bottom was from Cade's Cove. You have to get up pretty early for sunrise - especially at high elevations or popular locations. But it makes a great way to pass the time before sunrise - with some pleasant surprises.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#15. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 7

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Thu 03-Jan-13 06:20 AM | edited Fri 04-Jan-13 01:37 PM by richardd300

I don't have the E version, but use my D800 for long exposures. I see no reason why the techniques of either model should be different. I enjoy the challenge and have two ND long exposure filters, the B&W ND12, 12 stops and the Hoya pro1 x64 6 stops.

Please accept my apologies, but if you are new to this and to avoid frustration, please ensure the viewfinder blind is closed when exposing. This is particularly important if the sun is behind the camera and on very long (>1 minute) exposures. I was frustrated when I failed to do this and got UV banding across the image. In fact at 2 minutes exposure I had to place some black tape over the distance scale. Like water, light gets everywhere

Two images below taken with the D800. I really enjoy long exposure shots.

Richard

Nikon D800 - 24-70mm f2.8 30 secs @ f16 ISO100 - EV -0.33 B&W 12 stop

Nikon D800 - 24-70mm f2.8 30 secs @ f8 ISO200 - EV -0.33 B&W 12 stop

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#16. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 03-Jan-13 07:16 AM

I sometimes think railways were invented for the future photographers

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#17. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 03-Jan-13 02:45 PM

Nice ones... Thanks Richard

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#18. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 03-Jan-13 02:50 PM

Thanks, Richard. You have a particularly enjoyable web site.

Phil

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#19. "RE: Anyone doing Long Exposure Photography with D800e?" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 03-Jan-13 03:04 PM

Thanks Phil, it always good to receive supportive comments

Richard

G