Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Total number of photos in D800

ABAS

Mem Martins, PT
41 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ABAS Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2010
Fri 21-Dec-12 12:07 AM

Dear friends,

I have a D800 and I would like to know if gthere is any option that allows to know the exact number of photos taken.

Kindest regards,

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wwt67

Warsaw, US
362 posts

#1. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010
Thu 20-Dec-12 11:20 PM

Take the last photo you shot, or shoot a new one, and upload it here.

www.camerashuttercount.com

This will tell you how many shutter actuations the camera has.

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#2. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Fri 21-Dec-12 01:50 PM

I don't know how to get a count of images taken, perhaps others will have ideas, Alexandre. Shutter actuations will lead to an exaggerated count due to Live View.

See post below

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=17725&mesg_id=17725&page=3

For example, just entering LV and returning to VF without taking an image increments shutter count.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#3. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 21-Dec-12 08:51 PM

Hi Alex,

Opanda IExif 2.3 will allow you to view the Total Number of Shutter Actuations which may or may not be the Total Number of Imaged that you captured.

If you want to see the number of images recorded on the memory card it will be displayed when you review the images on the rear LCD.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#4. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 27-Dec-12 01:11 AM

If you have Photoshop.
Open RAW file in Photoshop.
Go to File, File Info.
Under Advanced select Schema.
Look at Image Number.
The number is your total shutter actuation.

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#5. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 4

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Thu 27-Dec-12 03:15 AM

Thanks Eugene,

Wow only 511 so far.

Been busy in edits all summer and fall, finally clear of that project with time to shake it out tomorrow, as we are heading to Furnace Creek for 6 days.

Does this number include actuations in video?

Thanks,

Rob

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#6. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 03:16 PM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 03:20 PM by txstone12

>Dear friends,
>
>I have a D800 and I would like to know if gthere is any option
>that allows to know the exact number of photos taken.
>
>Kindest regards,

OK, let's try again. With all due respect and politeness, we're being very selective about which posts we're reading in this thread.

In his original post, Alexandre asked how to find the number of photos taken. If you use or have ever used Live View, the shutter actuation count does not equal no. of photos taken.

You can try this yourself, you don't have to take anyone else's word for it. Take a photo in the Viewfinder and look at image count. Enter Live View. Make sure you are in LV and watching your subject Edit: on the LCD. Don't take a photo. Leave LV and take another photo with Viewfinder. What is the image count now? You will find that entering and leaving LV without taking a photo increments image count as I said in #2 above.

You can upload your image to a web site, use third party software or post processing software, e.g., Photoshop, as mentioned above to get image count. If you are a Mac user, you can simply look at the image (NEF or Jpg) in Preview, then go to Tools, Show Inspector, i button - EXIF.

Shutter actuation cycles is a very important camera build to parameter and resale indicator of usage

Nikon tests the D800 shutter unit to ... "well over 200,000 cycles of release to prove durability and precision".

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_Brochure.pdf

If you sell your D800, chances are the prospective buyer will want to know the no. of shutter actuations, just like looking at the mileage on a used car.

But if you want to know the no. of images taken, I don't know of an easy way to find that number. Total no. of images taken is made up of the no. of files written (to each card, each reformatted card) or the no. of files you have imported to your cataloging software.

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#7. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 29-Dec-12 01:42 AM

Don't know about video.
BTW, So Cal Photo Explorers (Meetup) people are going to Furnace Creek on the 2nd. Are you part of Meetup?
I might be there on the 5th for a few days and then CES in LV.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#8. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 29-Dec-12 01:47 AM | edited Sat 29-Dec-12 01:48 AM by InsaneO

What is the difference to that number if shutter is open and picture is taken or shutter is open and no picture is taken like in live view?
Answer: None.
Camera does not care if picture is taken or not. It cares if shutter was actuated.

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#9. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 29-Dec-12 02:06 AM

Did you run the experiment? The shutter does cycle and the actuations are counted - even if no image was taken. That's the point. The count is of shutter actuations, not images.

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#10. "RE: Total number of photos in D800" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 01-Jan-13 03:13 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Camera does not care if image was taken or not. If shutter is actuated that is all that counts.

G