Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which GGS LCD protector??

esantos

McAllen, US
13266 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Sat 15-Dec-12 03:28 PM

Guys,

I have GGS LCD protectors for my D4 and my wife's D5000. I really like them and I want to put one on my D800. Searching the web, Amazon in particular, I'm seeing a lot of user comments that the screen being sold for the D800 is not the proper size. Does anyone have one on their D800 that fits well (doesn't cover up a portion of the LCD) and can you tell me where you bought it? Thanks!

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

cbrandin

US
41 posts

#1. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 0

cbrandin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2011
Sat 15-Dec-12 04:46 PM | edited Sat 15-Dec-12 04:51 PM by cbrandin

For a while people were selling D700 and 3" GGS protectors as "compatible" with the D800 - which they are not. The catch is to find one made specifically for the D800. I found one on ebay (and it was cheap) that is perfect. Also, it arrived in less than a week from China: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-Optical-Glass-For-Nikon-D800-D800E-Main-Info-LCD-/370614590071?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

#2. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 15-Dec-12 05:17 PM

I bought mine on eBay, seller adplo (jianwen mai) for $7.20 shipped on May 23. Fits perfectly.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

esantos

McAllen, US
13266 posts

#3. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 1

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Sat 15-Dec-12 06:10 PM

Great, thanks! I just ordered one.

Ernesto Santos

esantos

McAllen, US
13266 posts

#4. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 15-Dec-12 06:11 PM

Thanks Gary. I couldn't find the seller so I went with the link above.

Ernesto Santos

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

#5. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 4

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 15-Dec-12 06:27 PM

Looks like the same listing that I ordered from except for the seller's name.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#6. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 16-Dec-12 07:10 AM

I have GGS "stick on" protectors on my D7000 and Nikon V1. I want to buy one for my D800, but I now see two types, the stick on one and one similar to the Nikon screen protector except of course clearer. This is the GGS III. Has anyone the latter protector and if so what would you see as an advantage over the Standard GGS please. A link below to the one I mean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GGS-Screen-Protector-Transparency-Anti-scrape/dp/B008N9P2YO

I have checked and it does comes with the top screen stick on glass.

Thanks

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

TZ750F

Brisbane, AU
51 posts

#7. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 6

TZ750F Registered since 06th Nov 2012
Sun 16-Dec-12 09:05 AM

>I have GGS "stick on" protectors on my D7000 and
>Nikon V1. I want to buy one for my D800, but I now see two
>types, the stick on one and one similar to the Nikon screen
>protector except of course clearer. This is the GGS III. Has
>anyone the latter protector and if so what would you see as an
>advantage over the Standard GGS please. A link below to the
>one I mean.
>
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/GGS-Screen-Protector-Transparency-Anti-scrape/dp/B008N9P2YO
>
>I have checked and it does comes with the top screen stick on
>glass.
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard
>
I have just fitted that particular model to my D700. When I ordered I was expecting he stick on type. It seems pretty good to me, fits well, it's not loose at all, and is extremely clear. I cannot see any disadvantages compared to the stick on type.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#8. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 16-Dec-12 09:27 AM

Great, thanks very much. That's the one I'll order then

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

infamily

Petaluma, US
223 posts

#9. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 8

infamily Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2009
Tue 18-Dec-12 04:39 PM

Thank you all for introducing GGS III . Just ordered one from amazon

Sandeep B
So much to learn, so little time.

visit
my Nikonians gallery.

awothers

Peterborough, CA
74 posts

#10. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 9

awothers Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2012
Tue 18-Dec-12 11:30 PM

I found teh GGS III on Amazon. Excuse my ignorance but does the GGS III replace the protector that comes with the D800?

aay

CA
172 posts

#11. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 8

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Thu 20-Dec-12 05:22 AM

Richard,

Could you please share your experience and thoughts on the subject once you get it delivered? I'd love to order a screen protector but I read too much conflicting info on which one to go with.

Alex

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#12. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 20-Dec-12 06:36 AM

Certainly will, however Amazon appear to be blocked up with the Christmas post. Will report back on arrival.

Richard

btmass

UK
1 posts

#13. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 12

btmass Registered since 24th Feb 2012
Fri 21-Dec-12 11:34 AM | edited Fri 21-Dec-12 11:36 AM by btmass

Hi all,

I put on two GGS protectors - one each for my D4 and D800. They are the regular ones, not GGS III. The quality and fit appear fine, although with the D800 you have to dispense with the plastic LCD guard as this will not fit on top of the GGS protector. I guess this is understandable as it is effectively as substitute. Unfortunately I did not realise this until I had put it on. Although according to the instructions it is possible to prise the protector off again, I decided not to risk it and didn't!

The D4 doesn't have a plastic guard so there were no issues there. As I say, they seem to fit well (there are two for the D800, back and top, and three for the D4 with the addition of the lower window displaying ISO etc). No troubles with fitting, although it requires a steady hand with the camera positioned solidly between the thighs as it is so sticky you wouldn't want to try and lift it again and re-align. It went on easily with no bubbling or blistering. The D4 protector one is definitely bespoke for the D4 as it has a small (unobtrusive) line of text stating D4 on the black lining of the glass.

It doesn't seem to make the LCD any darker although it must lose a percentage of light passage through the glass. They are very thin. According to the bumph "achieves more than 90% of transmittance (higher than plastic LCD screen protectors)"

Altogether I was happy. I paid £12.95 for the D4 and £11.49 for the D800. The D4 LCD is meant to be scratch resistant and hard-wearing anyway but for the small cost, I think it's a worthwhile investment and one I am happy to make.

All the best!

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#14. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 13

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 22-Dec-12 01:29 AM | edited Sat 22-Dec-12 01:30 AM by KnightPhoto

Thanks for the report. Good to hear the 3.2" models are available and I appreciate your D4 report also...

And WELCOME to Nikonians on your first post!!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#15. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 14

Sat 29-Dec-12 09:32 AM | edited Sat 29-Dec-12 09:33 AM by richardd300

Alex and others.

At last my GGS protector turned up from Amazon UK. The protector is the GGS Professional replacement for the Nikon BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover. Excellent build quality and crystal clear. In addition it comes with the adhesive top LCD protector which comes with the standard adhesive GGS.

I was also quite excited as it turned up with my new Sigma 105mm OS macro, but that's another story which I will continue elsewhere. A great Christmas overall

Richard

awothers

Peterborough, CA
74 posts

#16. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 15

awothers Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2012
Sat 29-Dec-12 11:52 AM

"GGS Professional replacement for the Nikon BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover"
Is there a part # for the GGS you purchased? Thanks.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#17. "RE: Which GGS LCD protector??" | In response to Reply # 16

Sat 29-Dec-12 12:49 PM

Oh, how I would love to live in the USA! See link here where it's only $11.95 as opposed to the UK where I paid $29.14. The only number on the box is: "Product Standard: Q/(GZ)PEDZ 1-2006

http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Screen-Protector-glass-NIKON/dp/B008LR9WDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356792326&sr=1-1&keywords=GGS+for+Nikon+D800

Richard

G