Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time

KHR

LaSalle, CA
234 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KHR Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009
Tue 11-Dec-12 01:16 AM

Has anyone else had any trouble when using their SB-900 on the D800? It seems to be overexposing when using TTL. Never had his problem when I used the flash with my D300. I find that even when dialling it down a stop or more it still comes out overexposed. Is there sometihing that I may not have set up right in camera?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1765 posts

#1. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 0

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Tue 11-Dec-12 01:51 AM

Don't have a D800, but most of the time I've experienced consistant over exposure with my SB-800 on other bodies was when the flash was not fully seated in the flash shoe. In that situation the flash seems to fire at full output regardless of flash metering. Also when the batteries get low the flash gets very erratic and over exposure usually results.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#2. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 11-Dec-12 02:16 AM

I have this combo (D800 and SB900), and it works fine for me. I use it a lot, for indoor shots at my kids' classrooms, and exposure is fine, zero overexposed shots. So something may be amiss either with your gear or with the settings you use. I typically have the D800 in manual mode, sometimes aperture priority, with flash compensation between 0 and -0.7, and on the flash everything is at the defaults.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

infamily

Petaluma, US
223 posts

#3. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 2

infamily Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2009
Tue 11-Dec-12 01:24 PM

I have this combo and have no issues. I primarily use A priority and turn off auto ISO. I have noticed auto ISO does not recognize presense of flash and you get over exposed shots as ISO climbs up from natural light exposure metering. I also keep flash compensation at -0.3 or -0.7 depending on situation

Sandeep B
So much to learn, so little time.

visit
my Nikonians gallery.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#4. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Tue 11-Dec-12 03:28 PM

I have the D800E and SB-910 combo and I've noticed I get over exposed shots outside in normal TTL mode, but if I use BL TTL mode everything works well... Also depends on if you are using spot metering with flash.... So post up an example shot with meta data and we can see if we can help with settings....

Chris

timnew

US
13 posts

#5. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 4

timnew Registered since 04th Dec 2012
Tue 11-Dec-12 10:44 PM

>I have the D800E and SB-910 combo and I've noticed I get over
>exposed shots outside in normal TTL mode, but if I use BL TTL
>mode everything works well... Also depends on if you are using
>spot metering with flash.... So post up an example shot with
>meta data and we can see if we can help with settings....
>
>Chris
My D800 with SB910 also tends to overexpose. I almost always shoot manual mode. I don't do a lot of flash photography (I prefer natural light and use a flash only when I must) so I figured I had a setting wrong somewhere either on the camera or the flash. It's way down my list of "tweaks to learn" as a result. Quite a difference from the days when I used a F5 with flash - those were almost always perfectly exposed. Again I figured I was messing up and not the equipment but I could be wrong.

KHR

LaSalle, CA
234 posts

#6. "RE: SB-900 and D800 combination seems to over expose most of the time" | In response to Reply # 5

KHR Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2009
Wed 12-Dec-12 01:53 AM

Maybe I'll try setting my flash back to default. Also try BL TTL. I Have played around with it last night and found using spot metering worked better.
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll keep trying.

G