Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Sat 08-Dec-12 10:23 PM

I'm planning to pick up a second FX body early next year and I'm trying to decide between these two. I'm currently using a D700 which I plan to keep. I like the interface and controls of the D800 which is the same or similar to my other camera bodies and that could be a factor. I also like cf cards and being able to change apertures in LV. On the other hand, saving $900 means I could pick up a 24-120 VRII to replace the 24-120 VR kit lens. So I'm interested in hearing from users that choose between the two. BTW, I enjoy macro, scenics and landscaspes and sports. I'd use the D700 for the higher fps for sports so that isn't a concern.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#1. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 08-Dec-12 09:37 PM

The D600 has better high ISO performance, and faster FPS. Something of note if you shoot sports. Other than that, the D800 is superior in just about every way.

I didn't choose between the two, I bought both and shoot them together.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#2. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:09 PM

First, I bought my D800 before the D600 existed. So there was really no choice.

Now that there is, the body style/form/quality would still push me to the D800. The D800 is a pro-style body with a larger form factor and more hard buttons. The D600 is a prosumer body style (think D90 vs D300). It's smaller in hand, has fewer hard buttons, and is less ruggedly built. Those differences alone push me to the D800. The extra resolution of the D800 suits me more than faster FPS. Also, the D800 high ISO performance is very very good, so I'm more than satisfied with my choice.

If you're looking to get into FX, have used prosumer bodies rather than pro bodies, and don't need the extra resolution, the D600 is a nice way to move up to FX.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#3. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 09-Dec-12 03:24 PM

I still use a D700 which I plan to keep because of the higher fps with MB-D10. It's tough choice, I like that the D800 is closer to the D700 but smaller, lighter and cheaper is something to think about in the D600. But in the end I always buy a PRO body so that more than anything may sway my opinion.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

dbvisions

Ringgold, US
65 posts

#4. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011
Mon 10-Dec-12 01:57 PM

I have a D700 that I use for horse show photos. It has worked really well for what can be the worst of conditions - fast moving subjects in poorly-lit indoor arenas. Shooting from the center of the ring I mostly use a 70-200 f2.8 VR lens at 100mm or so. An MB-D10 gives me more battery time and is not to allow a fast sequence of shots. I learned how to get the desired image (proper horse and rider position) using a single shot instead of the "shotgun approach". I think my technique improved after I quit trying to shoot so many shots so fast.

That said, I have only had my D800 for a few weeks and have not tried to do a similar gig with it. But I am hoping to be able to work in a similar way as I did with the D700. To me, one very valuable thing is that the D800 controls are mostly an extended set of the D700 controls. I do not have to think so much about which camera I am using and the proper action for what I want to do for most things. If I pick up my wife's D7000 I have to think a lot about what I want to do.

For me, familiarity with the D700 would make it a better backup body to the D800 than the D600 would.

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#6. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 11-Dec-12 01:02 AM

Thanks for the great responses. I've decided that for my amatuer needs the D600 is the better choice. With the money saved I'm going to upgrade my 24-120VR to the newer f/4 VRII lens.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#7. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 11-Dec-12 02:20 AM

I recommend to go to a store, even something like Best Buy, and hold either camera in your hands for a minute. I did, and strongly preferred the D800. Others may come to the opposite conclusion, or be ambivalent about it, but handling matters, at least in my opinion.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#8. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Tue 11-Dec-12 03:01 AM

Since you already have the D700 and will keep it, the D800 offers more in addition than D600. Lots of little things, like bigger brighter viewfinder image, compatibility with 10pin devices that you may have for your D700, similar (but extended) menu and control layouts. the additional Mp in combination with a sharp lens allows for agressive cropping when necessary - there is just no end to the detail in D800 images, compared to a 12mp camera

On the other hand, I am very impressed with the image quality of my 24-120 f4 compared to the 18-200 that I was using before (on D200/D300)

Visit

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

#9. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 11-Dec-12 08:59 PM

Because I bought it before the D600 was announced. Then I bought the D600 and shoot both together. Both take great images but I prefer the D800 images and the body.

Visit JamesDane.Com.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#10. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 12-Dec-12 01:08 PM

>I recommend to go to a store, even something like Best Buy,
>and hold either camera in your hands for a minute.
I did, and strongly preferred the D800.
Others may come to the opposite conclusion,
or be ambivalent about it, but handling matters,
>at least in my opinion. <Quote<<<

The D600 is lighter and fits my wife's hands better.
For me the handling of the D800 is so much better that
I can hand hold it much longer at an Event before getting tired.
The narrow groove in the D600 grip pinches my fat fingers.
I also like the button layout better.

I have not noticed the High ISO being any better on the D600
and I have the frame rate set for 3fps so my wife does not take double shots.
So, for me everything is better about the D800.

You need to get "Hands On".

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#11. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 9

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Wed 12-Dec-12 09:26 PM

>Because I bought it before the D600 was announced. Then I
>bought the D600 and shoot both together. Both take great
>images but I prefer the D800 images and the body.

Me to.

JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

#12. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Thu 13-Dec-12 02:58 PM

Although I bought the D800 before the D600 became available I would still stick with that choice. My reason? I need and use high pixel density in a full frame camera. That's because I always enjoyed the image quality obtained from medium format film. While the D800 is not a complete replacement for medium format film it easily equals and sometime surpasses m/f up to about 30 inches on a side for prints, providing you have the best lenses. It's a lot lighter than the film gear and much more versatile. To be honest, I seldom use the film gear anymore. I have several DSLR bodies but this is the first one that really opens a big gap in image quality between digital and film, with digital the winner. For the most avid sports action shooters the D800 might lack somewhat in frame rate and buffering speed so that's the caveat.

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

aia guy

Westerville, US
133 posts

#13. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 12

aia guy Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007
Sun 16-Dec-12 01:29 PM

Hi:

I just picked up a D800E over a D600 due to several reasons. First it was the flash sync was not up to 1/250.

Second was the bracketing. I am an Architectural photographer and I bracket 5 shots. It makes it much easier to dial 2 over and 2 under and just click away. thus avoiding me messing up. I want to focus on the photo I am taking, and not worry about spinning dials.

Lastly it give me the ability to produce large prints for my clients.

Dick Wood

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#14. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Mon 17-Dec-12 02:12 PM

I bought a second D800 rather than a D600 for the following reasons:
- I didn't want to deal with the "dust" issue of the D600
- I wanted all of the controls to be in the same place for both bodies (main reason)
- At my age this may be the last body I buy so I wanted the best I could afford.

Enjoy!

Randy

ebreeve

El Cajon, US
43 posts

#15. "RE: Why did you choose the D800 over the 600?" | In response to Reply # 0

ebreeve Registered since 23rd Aug 2004
Mon 24-Dec-12 12:41 AM

Simply because the D600 is not a pro-body. The D800 pro button set and superior resolution power was what did it for me. In fact I would probably buy a D3x over a D-600.

ebreeve

G