Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Thu 06-Dec-12 04:20 AM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 04:22 AM by johno

Here's how the camera is working after two trips to Nikon for the left focus problem. The short story is they fixed the left sensor thing and sent it back front focusing like crazy. Before the center and right were better than left. Now they all fall short.

They are asking me to send it in a third time, at my expense.

The first one is the least egregious. It's my 105 2.8 which is set a +11 for now. The rest are maxed out at +20 and still not quite there.

I can't quite tune out the focus problem.

The images below are not presented as a "test." They are before and after fine-tune pictures. My goal is a camera that will take crisp pictures, not pass tests. I don't typically do any test shooting. My subjects include my daughter, etc.

Does anybody know a way to get through to somebody at Nikon who can help a customer? This camera was clearly not tested sufficiently. Maybe there is a Canon impostor working at the Nikon repair facility? That makes the most sense at this point.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4567 posts

#1. "RE: Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots" | In response to Reply # 0

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Thu 06-Dec-12 12:16 PM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 12:18 PM by richardd300

I am not going to comment on AF-fine tuning as it's a subject of which I am a loss to master, despite numerous tests.

Obviously I make the assumption that the camera was tripod mounted at the extremely low shutter speeds demonstrated? The first two images says it is 1/13 @ f3! The 3rd and 4th 1/60 @ f2.8, the 5th and 6th at 1/60 @ f1.4. 1/60 with a very wide aperture is asking a lot, but 1/13 is extremely low! Also and I have no experience of the 105mm f2.8, but as this is a micro/macro lens I wouldn't have chosen first 4 subjects to test it on. Very shallow DOF are going to be the result of those settings.

Please accept my apologies in advance if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but a + 20 AF-fine tune still not working must surely mean that in fact it could require e.g. +25 anon if such a setting existed.

Once again I am really no expert here, but make my comments because of the low speeds and wide apertures leading me to conclude they may affecting the IQ.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#2. "RE: Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 06-Dec-12 12:22 PM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 12:24 PM by johno

Thank you

A tripod was used. I thought I had posted samples with 3 different lenses. In any case I shot about 10 pairs of images with 5 lenses, with blur before and a lot less blurr after +20.

I am not at my computer but I know the 85 1.4 and 105 2.8 are represented here. Same result with the other 3 lenses.

Best regards

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4567 posts

#3. "RE: Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 06-Dec-12 12:36 PM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 12:39 PM by richardd300

Yes, I was referring to the first 2 with the 105mm, I did see the the 85mm images also. I also see that images 3&4 are taken with a 70-200mm with image 4 being the better of the two. I must admit I was testing my 70-200mm a few days ago on a flat target set to 70mm at about 1/125 @ f2.8 and the results were not flattering. I increased the ISO slightly to achieve the same speed at a narrow aperture i.e. f7 and the images were really sharp.

I won't labour the point regarding AF issues, but I have now concluded that I try to achieve higher shutter speeds to achieve better clarity matched with suitable mid range apertures, in my case between f6 and f11 if I can.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#4. "RE: Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 06-Dec-12 01:04 PM

Thanks. I don't have a 70-200, but no matter. The shot pattern for each pair is the first one snfinentune off, the second is +20.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4567 posts

#5. "RE: Front Focus after Repair #2 -- Demo Shots" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 06-Dec-12 01:21 PM

I'm sorry, I meant to say 24-70mm! I also tested my 24-70mm f2.8 and attached are the two FocusTune used with LensAlign PDF printouts. I also tested it at 45mm and got a result of +5! Totally confused I reset fine tune to zero, took and image towards a flat target with elevated shutter speeds at f8 and sharp as a tack.

Once again I am not critising AF-Fine tune, but my experiences.

Richard

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G