Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

LCD - symbol on playback

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Fri 30-Nov-12 12:55 PM

When viewing images on the LCD screen, some of them include the rectangular command dial/multi selector symbol shown on page 231 of the manual (it's bottom left in the two graphics of the girl's face).

I can't figure out why this symbol appears on some images and not on others. Any ideas folks?

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#1. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 30-Nov-12 12:09 PM

I just realised the symbol doesn't represent command dial & multi selector - it's command dial & face detection.

There are no faces in any of the shots I'm viewing so I can't understand why the face detection symbol appears on some of them.

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#2. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 1

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Sat 01-Dec-12 10:32 AM

is it the face detection setting that you can set while in Live view, but stays on after live view? (its set with the auto focus mode button on the left)

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#3. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 1

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Sat 01-Dec-12 10:32 AM

is it the face detection setting that you can set while in Live view, but stays on after live view? (its set with the auto focus mode button on the left)

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#4. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 01-Dec-12 11:42 AM

Why would it appear in playback though?

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#5. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 1

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007
Mon 03-Dec-12 03:45 AM

While the D800 User Manual's description of this feature is very vague (as most user manuals are), I stumbled across this feature shortly after purchasing my D800. It's really quite a cool feature!

Here's how it works:

Let's say you've taken a picture of one or multiple people and want to get a closer look at their face(s) to make sure they didn't blink (or whatever). Doing it the old-fashioned way, you could zoom in and scroll to each face which, if you have several people in your shot, could take some time.

With Face Detection in Review mode, you magnify the image until you get one person's face filling up as much of the monitor as you like. You should now see the front command dial and face icons in the lower left of the monitor window.

Now comes the cool part: turn the front command dial one click at a time and notice how the monitor jumps from one face to the next, always centered. This lets you quickly review the faces of everyone in your shot! Cool, huh!?

Hope this helped!

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#6. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 03-Dec-12 11:39 AM

Ah, that explains it - thanks Chris.

It does seem to get confused though - I'm getting it on some shots with no people at all in the frame!

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#7. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 03-Dec-12 01:49 PM

You're welcome!

Yes, it is odd that you're seeing it on shots without people. I tried it on my camera but did not experience that phenomenon. Maybe somebody here on Nikonians will be able to answer that one?

Chris

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#8. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 03-Dec-12 02:00 PM

Perhaps it proves the existence of ghosts - LOL!

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#9. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 5

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sat 08-Dec-12 07:57 PM

Thanks for posting, Chris. I haven't been using facial recognition, so you pointed out a feature I didn't know I had. The review feature works just as you described it - mine only shows with recognized faces in the image. I notice Digital Darrell says according to Nikon the D800 will recognize up to 35 faces, so I want to try it with 35 faces now. I need volunteers.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#10. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 08-Dec-12 11:40 PM

You're very welcome, David!

Are you referring to Digital Darrell's book on the D800? I have not yet read his book, but I hear it's full of great information. I just might have to stop by the bookstore this weekend to check it out.

Chris

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#11. "RE: LCD - symbol on playback" | In response to Reply # 10

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sun 09-Dec-12 08:33 PM

Yes, 'Mastering the Nikon D800'. I like his detailed explanations of the operation of the camera and menu choices. He also includes impressions from his experience and recommendations on settings.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G