Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Looking for a compatible grip

michelpoirier

Chambly, CA
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
michelpoirier Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Thu 29-Nov-12 04:56 PM

Good afternoon,

As Christmas is coming, it's time to look at my gift list.

As I'm not ready to give out $400 on a Nikon brand grip for my D800, I would be Ok to go with a "compatible" one.

So, anyone out here has a good recommendation for a grip ?? On eBay there are simply to many of them... So ???

Thank you all,

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#1. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 29-Nov-12 06:47 PM

I got a Pixel brand grip and have been very pleased with it. It was more than the others such as Zeikos and Mieke( which I have one of each on my D90 and D7000) because it seemed to be thicker, with a metal backing plate inside which supports the tripod mounting threads.
It was $105 but might be a lot lower now.
It fits perfectly, is solid and matches the camera very closely.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JCY88

US
193 posts

#2. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Thu 29-Nov-12 08:56 PM

I have Meiki model. It works ok but the fit is not perfect. Also when Li battery is put in it default to that hold even there is no battery inside the holder, no matter what manual setting you set for. The AA holder does not do that. So when you just want to use the grip as grip without the battery, you better put the AA one.
Cheers, JC www.macroXscape.com

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#3. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 1

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Fri 30-Nov-12 07:24 AM

When you say Pixel brand, just what is that? Will using a brand other than Nikon void the warranty?

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#4. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Fri 30-Nov-12 02:46 PM

I have an extra Pixel brand grip if you are interested email, $99

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#5. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 3

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 30-Nov-12 09:56 PM

The one I got is from a company named Pixel, based in Hong Kong. I got mine from B&H but a Google search pulled up the first one as being offered by Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-Vertical-Battery-Nikon-MB-D12/dp/B008F83IVC

It should not void any warranty, the unit is a passive device and has no electronics in it. Nikon's warranty states that abuse and improper repair are subject to causing the warranty but not adding a common accessory.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Thuja

Victoria, CA
59 posts

#6. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

Thuja Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Fri 30-Nov-12 11:24 PM

I have the DSTE which so far seems ok. Comes with D4 size batteries (2) plus car and mains charger for about $100 or so.

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#7. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Sun 02-Dec-12 09:54 AM | edited Sun 02-Dec-12 10:18 AM by SirPuttsAlot

I think the "OK to go with a compatible one" question depends on your personality. Are you the type to buy a D800 and then always be questioning if you should you have spent the extra money on a D800e? Would you buy a 24-120 and then question if you should have spend the extra money on the 24-70? If so, you will probably end up getting the MB-D12 eventually b/c you'll always question if you will be more satisfied with the Nikon version than the 3rd party (and you'll end up spending more in the long run then).

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#8. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 7

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Mon 03-Dec-12 10:40 PM

He's got a point, that is why i have the pixel grip for sell. i ultimately bought the Nikon one... however, they are identical in function.. Should have saved myself the extra $300, but not that I have it, i dont want to return the Nikon one...

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

dbvisions

Ringgold, US
65 posts

#9. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 8

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011
Tue 04-Dec-12 01:21 PM

I bought this one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160890655606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I don't recall the brand name on the box. But it is a MB-D12 look-a-like. It came with two EN-EL15-type batteries and both battery trays. So far, it fits the camera body well, stays tight, and works fine. At $100 it was a good deal. I was a bit apprehensive because I got an MB-D10 copy for my D700 a couple of years ago. The AA battery tray on that copy would not make connection. The other tray worked ok. I eventually bought a real MB-D10 because my main goal was to use AA Eneloops to power the D700 at events.

Getting an off-brand battery grip can be a gamble but it might be worth it for a fourth the price of the real Nikon model.

avet4life

US
6 posts

#10. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 9

avet4life Registered since 05th Dec 2012
Wed 05-Dec-12 11:38 PM

OEM Nikon is the best for the grip

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#11. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Fri 07-Dec-12 04:47 PM

I recently purchased the Pixel grip ($99) based on Stan's comments. I have to say that it is near perfect - fits just a well as Nikon grips that I've had on previous cameras. Looks great and the feel is just what I needed for portrait and vertical shooting. Thanks Stan...

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#12. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 07-Dec-12 11:43 PM

Thank you Glenn, glad that you like it. I have been so used to using a grip that when I first got the D800 but was not about to spend the $590 that they were going for then, I shot with the bare camera for a while until several 3rd party grips came on the market about the same time. The Pixel unit was the most expensive but seemed to have the best mechanical stability. During that "naked" D800 use, I almost got used to the small grip area. But when mounting the new Pixel grip, I quickly remembered why it was an essential accessory for me and my way of shooting. It is possible to shoot one-handed when needed, with a SB900 and 70-200 mounted that could never be done without the grip. That is not the reason I like them, it is the added stability of shooting vertically with just as low of shutter speed as landscape orientation because both orientations allow pulling my arms tight against my chest giving much more stable a hold position than without a grip. Watch someone shooting a portrait without a grip, their right arm is away from the body, held high, overhand style, that is not stable, requiring higher shutter speed.
Another key reason to use a grip is less fatigue of the hands, which becomes a problem with a small grip area during a long shooting session or event. By having more fingers on the grip, each one can relax and keep the camers tightly held with less finger gripping tension. The D800 also benefits more than other current cameras by having a second battery in a grip since battery drain is higher and 2 batteries are needed to complete most events.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#13. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 12

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 12-Dec-12 02:20 PM | edited Wed 12-Dec-12 02:24 PM by RRRoger

I personally do not like grips.
The D800 fits my hand better without one.
I seldom shoot vertical and when I do my shutter speed is high anyway.
I do not like the extra weight or bulk.
I recently shot over 3500 images at a MotoCross Event without depleting the first battery,
and I can easily go over 1 1/2 hours of HD1080 Video.

Go ahead and get one if you want, you can always take it off.

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#14. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 13

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Wed 12-Dec-12 02:27 PM

I'm with you on this one. On my D7000, that body was small and my pinky would hang off so the grip was great. The D800 is much larger and I don't have this problem. With the MB-D12 on it, the camera is huge.

I've used my grip maybe twice, but really it just sits in the box collecting dust.

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#15. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Wed 12-Dec-12 06:07 PM

One thing to remember if you buy third-party grips, is that none (that I know) of them are compatible with RRS/Kirk Arca-swiss style plates.

Others who are using the 3rd party grip --- please correct me if I am wrong.

Pravin.

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#16. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Sun 16-Dec-12 07:11 AM

Hey Mike,

Before you decide to not by the Nikon grip read my post from a while back. There are plenty of people who have had luck with the overseas grips, I was not one of them, there are a few others as well. This was the first time I bought anything like this that was not Nikon, last time as well. My .02 says spend the money.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=13628&mesg_id=13628&page=15

Click on image to view larger version

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#17. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 16

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:55 AM

Interesting thread guys. I am ambivalent about getting a Nikon grip, but price locally is $299 so isn't too bad. Otherwise $100 for the Pixel sounds interesting. I might check out what my local dealer has in the way of third-party grips too, I have never inquired. If I do get grip, likely it will never be on tripod or monopod.

BTW I have the Markins bi-directional plate on my camera and it is the nicest one I have ever owned, beautifully rounded shape contoured to exactly match the D800 contours. I normally mount my cameras in forward orientation on my gimbal or else on my tilt-swivel that is mounted onto my monopod.

D800 isn't my only camera, and most uses I have for it don't involve portrait format. But yes am guilty of that overhand portrait grip, which is really bad technique, although being a left-eyed shooter isn't as bad because my right elbow can be held against my body somewhat.

So I'm down to the $199 difference which might be close enough to tip me over to the genuine Nikon one. Had Nikon offered more fps in FX mode, like they did on the D300 and D700 with grip I would have been all over it. I do use the very handy 5fps mode available without grip in 1.2 crop (30 x 20 format).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
174 posts

#18. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 17

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008
Sat 29-Dec-12 08:39 AM

I've just bought a Pixel MB-D12 grip and so far it's been excellent - feels right, looks right,works perfectly and I'd defy anyone to tell that it's not an original Nikon without looking very closely at it. A snip on Ebay at £46 sent!

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

nnikonk

Edinburgh, UK
21 posts

#19. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 18

nnikonk Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012
Sat 29-Dec-12 02:40 PM

I bought a similarly cheap one ~£45 from an Ebay shop and it does exactly what I want. I am really only interested in using it for portrait orientation in the studio and it does that very well. It seems a very good fit.
Normally I use the D800 without the grip.

philm35

USA, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#20. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004
Mon 07-Jan-13 05:56 AM | edited Mon 07-Jan-13 05:56 AM by philm35

I got an XIT-branded grip as part of a bundle package when I bought my D800 from B&H. I am going to try to get them to exchange it for a different grip.

The grip has some kind of intermittent problem connecting with the camera. About half the time the camera will not power up with the grip connected. The grip must be removed and reattached, which will then allow the camera to power up a few times... until it doesn't.

I saw another XIT D800 user review it on Amazon.com, having the same issue. Stay away from this one.

--Phil

tsang28

Philadelphia, US
81 posts

#21. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#22. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 21

Mon 07-Jan-13 06:35 PM

That one looks interesting but I could not find a price at any of the dealers Phottix listed.
If it is all magnesium and the ad says, it could be not only cheaper but stronger than the Nikon version. Nikon's version is half cast magnesium and half plastic. Nothing wrong with plastic, some of my favorite cars and planes are plastic.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#23. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 22

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Tue 08-Jan-13 05:41 AM

According to the Phottix Store it is $200. Sounds good.

My experience is I bought a no-name brand for $50, and while it works as advertised and the fit is good, the dials and buttons don't "feel" like the Nikon version. I'm also concerned that the Memory Card Access lamp activates at certain times, as others have reported. Hard to know whether it can withstand constant use either.

May have to give the Phottix version a go.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#24. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 23

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Tue 08-Jan-13 07:44 PM

A company named Photogearfinder advertised the magnesium version for $99 on Ebay, I ordered one and they sent me a cheap plastice version I could have gotten for $45.00 on Ebay. When I complained they told me I needed to talk to Phottix about the misadvertising. Bad people too do business with, be warned !!!

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#25. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 24

Tue 08-Jan-13 11:34 PM

Phottix also sell the other cheaper plastic version for the d800 as well. Could it be they got them mixed up? Phottix are selling the premium one for $200, so unlikely that anyone else could do it for $99.

It's all about the light

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#26. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 25

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Wed 09-Jan-13 02:23 AM | edited Wed 09-Jan-13 03:46 PM by Timeshifte

I emailed them and they basically said to take it up with Phottix if the advertising was wrong. They also haven't changed thier ad so that leads me to believe they knew what they were doing. I asked for a refund of the difference between the magnesium one and the cheap one they sent and they said no. They are a US address too.

UPDATE:
The company emailed me to return it and they will refund my money and shipping said they didn't realise there were two models. He pulled the other ads too, sounds like it may have been an honest mistake.

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#27. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 26

Wed 09-Jan-13 05:26 AM

I just emailed a local distributor here in Oz. They know nothing of the alloy version, nor do they want to find out. Very helpful, not.

As I am very keen to find out whether this thing actually exists I will email Phottix direct.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#28. "RE: Looking for a compatible grip" | In response to Reply # 26

Thu 10-Jan-13 12:05 AM

>
>UPDATE:
>The company emailed me to return it and they will refund my
>money and shipping said they didn't realise there were two
>models. He pulled the other ads too, sounds like it may have
>been an honest mistake.

Excellent news. So are you still going to try and get the mag alloy grip?

I received an email back from Phottix. They didn't answer any of my questions, just included two urls pointing to the two grips. Mmm.

It's all about the light

G