Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best flash cards for D800E?

Jeff1

Provincetown, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jeff1 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004
Mon 26-Nov-12 01:01 PM

I'm heading off on my 3 month winter travel photography trip soon to India. My question is with an sd and a compact flash slot, and so many choices of read and write speeds, and capacity....what makes most sense to buy now for my 800E?

I wasn't really planning to buy any more cf cards, as I see them becoming obsolete with the new cameras, although I've read some talk nas they are more stable. I currently own a few 8gb 300x Lexar CF cards.

I also own a few 8 and 16gb 30MB/s sdhc cards.

I'm not a sports or fast wildlife shooter. I do a lot of street shooting, HDR, landscape, etc. I do want a fast card, but I don't think the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC is necessary for those prices. I usually prefer Sandisk, and I would never trust an off brand.

So I'm thinking of getting a few 64GB SD cards, and maybe a larger cf card.

Any feedabck would be appreciated, or any articles on the subject. It being cyber Monday today, made me think of ordering something quickly. Thanks

Jeff
www.lovingerimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31318 posts

#1. "RE: Best flash cards for D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 26-Nov-12 09:51 PM

Hi Jeff,

Since you don't seem to need the fastest write speed available any of the larger Sandisk or Lexar CF or SD Cards should easily fit your requirements.
Both brands are very well regarded by most.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#2. "RE: Best flash cards for D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

EricBarney Registered since 02nd Oct 2012
Tue 27-Nov-12 01:07 AM

Since I upgraded from a D200 to the D800, the 1gb 80X CF cards I used weren't going to cut it. When I bought my D800, My friend at the camera shop sold me a Delkin Devices 16gb CF card 700X speed. I have since added a 32gb SDHC 600x, and two more 1000x CF cards. (16 & 32gb) All Delkin. They are completely compatable with my camera, and the card reader in my home PC. With the large file sizes of the D800, the speed of these cards is really a plus. Besides, you never know when you might need the camera to fire many shots quickly. (Bracketing for HDR?)

When I am shooting RAW, I have the primary card slot assigned to the faster CF for RAW, and the secondary assigned to the SD for JPEG. Seems to work quite well.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#3. "RE: Best flash cards for D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 27-Nov-12 03:30 PM

Since I bought D800e I got 2 Topram 600x 64gb and 2 Transcend 400x 32gb plus Lexar USB 3.0 reader.
No problems at all. Getting almost full reading speed from these cards. The 400x Transcend seems very close to 500x actually.
I also bought 32GB Topram 600x cards but they did not work at all in D800e even though they worked perfectly in all my other cameras.
Very strange.
Anyway, I already have 16K images from D800e and about 12K from 7D without a single glitch.
Total cost for all of these cards $300 which is a lot less than most other brands.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#4. "RE: Best flash cards for D800E?" | In response to Reply # 3

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 28-Nov-12 04:28 AM

I noticed today that a Lexar 32 GB 1000x sells for $253.

When I get my D800, that's what will be in it.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

rosewood_ltd

Akron, US
1266 posts

#5. "RE: Best flash cards for D800E?" | In response to Reply # 4

rosewood_ltd Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008
Wed 28-Nov-12 04:59 PM

What to get would also be impacted by the mode(s) you shoot in. If you're like me, shooting bracketed frames of 5-7 exposures at Ch burst with the D800, then I'd say go with a 1000x CF card.

I've also noticed that if you're using the SD slot for JPEG backups, the speed of that card is critical in burst mode. Anything less than the fastest available SD card may result in write lags and disrupting your bracketed burst of exposures.

Russ

Russ

The trick is not to make lemonade when life hands you lemons. The trick is to find the person life has handed vodka to and then have a party.

My Nikonians Gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/191414

G