Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
gpmaijer

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gpmaijer Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42 AM

Now that the D600 is $100 off and can be bought with some extra's. I also found a D800 on Craigslist for $2650 here in town. Either camera is good with me as I have a D80 now and only 2 DX lens. The rest of my kit is FX. I'm a little apprehensive with a camera off Craigslist with the issues the camera has had. Just trying to get some feedback as if there are problems I would think taking care of things with Nikon or whom ever I purchased through would be a bit easier. I shoot portraits and powerboats. I know, they don't really go hand in hand. I'll be looking at what ever DX comes out down the road for the boating and other sports I shoot.

Thanks for any feedback as I do need to upgrade as I've seen some softness in my pics that weren't there awhile back. It's time. Just need a little encouragement.

aay

CA
172 posts

#1. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 0

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Mon 19-Nov-12 11:48 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think buying second hand camera will void your warranty. So that D800 may come with no warranty and a big question - why is original owner selling it? I'm sure you are aware of the focusing issue, so do not forget that.

Good luck with the purchase!

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

gpmaijer

US
11 posts

#2. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 1

gpmaijer Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 11:52 PM

Yes Alex, I am aware of all the issues with a D800 (and D600 as well) and not having a warranty is something too think about. The individual buys and sells according to him. After reading the moire is really a non-issue for most,m I've even thought I should just pay the extra few dollars and get one. Just wish I could be assured there would be nothing wrong but I know I'm going to have that issue with what ever I get.

duh59

Rochester, US
591 posts

#3. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 0

duh59 Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 20-Nov-12 01:54 AM

Hi, I have purchased several used cameras and lenses over the years. They were usually a few years old and there fore at a good price and I did not worry about warranty. However, for a new generation camera, I would buy new for the warranty. If a repair is needed it could easily cost you several hundred dollars. I think you would be happy with either a new D600 or a new D800 .Good luck on your decision.

Virge

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aay

CA
172 posts

#4. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 2

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Tue 20-Nov-12 04:00 AM

Well, since you are in the states, you can pretty much bank on a decent supplier that will have a good return policy. Sure, it's a bit of a hassle to test for focus issue, but if your camera is good, then all it takes is about 30-40 minutes to set it all up and do 15-20 test shots. The chances are - you would get a good copy of D800 and then there is nothing to worry.

As for moire. From what I read, it is really a non issue. Now I wish I got E version for that extra sharpness (well, as long as your camera focuses well! .

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
172 posts

#5. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 0

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Thu 22-Nov-12 12:25 AM

>Now that the D600 is $100 off and can be bought with some
>extra's. I also found a D800 on Craigslist for $2650 here in
>town. Either camera is good with me as I have a D80 now and
>only 2 DX lens. The rest of my kit is FX. I'm a little
>apprehensive with a camera off Craigslist with the issues the
>camera has had. Just trying to get some feedback as if there
>are problems I would think taking care of things with Nikon or
>whom ever I purchased through would be a bit easier. I shoot
>portraits and powerboats. I know, they don't really go hand in
>hand. I'll be looking at what ever DX comes out down the road
>for the boating and other sports I shoot.
>
>Thanks for any feedback as I do need to upgrade as I've seen
>some softness in my pics that weren't there awhile back. It's
>time. Just need a little encouragement.

Given that quite a few of the first available D800 cameras were bought by people who sold them for well over $3K, and given the focusing issue which some of those early D800 releases had - I would RUN - not walk from any thought of buying a used D800 on Craig's list or E Bay.

I love my D800! If you have the $$ I strongly encourage you to buy a new one!

Well Wishes,

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#6. "RE: Kind of a dilema" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Thu 22-Nov-12 04:34 AM

If the seller will let you take a bunch of test pictures then view them on your computer screen before you make the purchase, then it might be a good deal. You will not have a warranty under Nikon's terms, so you need to check it out thoroughly. Another option would be to look at a factory refurbished until through a reliable retailer, even on-line) so that you can return it if it is no functioning properly.

The D800 is a great camera, provided it is functioning as it should.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

G