Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JCY88

US
193 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:12 PM

Now it is almost a year with D800 out. What is your take on the subject question?

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16962 posts

#1. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 19-Nov-12 07:33 PM

I'm not sure what the question is, but if it's "do you like having 36MP?" then the answer for me is "yes". I don't have any problems working with the camera in terms of handholding or other factors, the results are great, and my computers can keep up with post-processing the images. I'm pleased, although I think many photographers would be and are happy with fewer pixels. It all depends on what you shoot and how you present your images.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#2. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:31 PM

Same here - I have the D800E and would rate it as fantastic. No second thoughts at all.

The improvements are not limited to the D800. I was out recently with the D600 and it is VERY sharp with the 70-200 VRII.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#3. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 2

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:42 PM

Very Happy here, great camera. It also made me cleanup my technique, my shots with my D700 are better too !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#4. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:54 PM

Just my opinion.....Regardless of of the resolution it would be worth the price at half the pixels. Unless one has the ability to display the added detail ifs files hold, the first things they notice are the color, AWB, AF tracking, spectacular DR, metering astonishingly low noise at low ISO and amazing flexibility of RAW files. If they print large or crop aggressively, they will notice other advantages. There is nothing out there with as clean of files or as wide of DR. Get up to 800 ISO and even the megabuck MF cameras fall behind it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#6. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 3

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:56 PM

My macros and close ups are so much better and I have many more keepers. Best decision I ever made. Right up there with good glass. May not be for everyone but I am a very happy camper!!

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3375 posts

#7. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 4

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:51 PM

Stan -- I respect your findings and wonder how you feel about the D800 at higher ISOs. I shoot the D700 for a lot of news photography, including indoor sports and am just blown away by its ability to operate so noise free at 1600, and relatively so at 32 and 6400. I'd like to know what you feel about those ISOs on your D800. I don't need astronomical ISOs -- the 25,000 and above. But I have had reservations about 6400, which I need in at least two locations I often shoot where I shoot basketball at 6400 and get 1/250th at f4. Thanks in advance.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#8. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:51 PM

Its made me a better photographer because it has caused me to slow down and think before pressing that button.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

outdoors4me

US
246 posts

#9. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 8

outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:56 PM

I'm cropping like crazy!

Beck

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#10. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 7

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 20-Nov-12 01:53 AM

Alan

Here is a test image at ISO 6400. I also have attached a 100% crop. This is straight from the camera - no noise reduction or sharpening is applied at all.

Click on image to view larger version

As you can see, with just normal sizing ISO 6400 is completely usable. The extra pixels of the D800 are worth about 1 1/2 stops through resizing to match a D700 sized image. Even without resizing benefits, ISO 6400 is completely usable.

The downside of high ISO's is you lose the big advantages of dynamic range and color rendition.

It's not just the D800 that has this kind of advantage. The D600 is very good as well.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1478 posts

#11. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Tue 20-Nov-12 02:55 AM

I've only had mine a month but the extra detail in the images is exactly what I wanted when upgrading from D300.

I am already noticing that in order to get the best out of it, one has to be much more careful with shutter speed and focus settings.

Visit

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#12. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:27 AM

>Now it is almost a year with D800 out. What is your take on
>the subject question?

The NIkon D800 is way way more than just 36MP.

I love my D800! I love the dynamic range, depth of color and detail in texture. I print on an Epson R3000 and most of my prints from the D800 have an almost 3D appearance especially when printed on metallic paper.

I love the AF abilities, I love the amazing resolution - from a moving sail boat using an old (no VR) 24 - 85 NIKKOR zoom I shot a distant catamaran that looked like a blob @ 85mm: zoom in 100% and there's people on deck looking at a dolphin surfacing - and in clean focus. I've been shooting that 24-85 like a macro lens on the D800 because I can crop close in and get excellent tiny detail on butterflies, dragon flies and spiders - at a good printable size!

My old NIKKOR 80-400 f/4.5 5.6 AFS D zoom was slow to auto focus on my other Nikons but on my D800 is quick and nimble enough to keep focus on a fast moving butterfly on a bush - or a red breasted woodpecker's head while darting around a bird feeder.

Shooting AF-C 3D -11 points, hold the shutter button half way, keep it there and focus is locked on the spot weather subject moves or I recompose in the view finder. I like it better than pressing the AF / AE Lock button with my thumb - but thats just me. Most of the time I don't use VR but if I do I want time for it to settle in.

I love being able to switch aspect ratios with the FN button and command wheel. I use them all.

And I haven't even mentioned how wonderful "Auto ISO" and Aperture Priority on the D800 work.

The Nikon D800 is way more than just 36MP and I am always thankful that I have this camera!

Best wishes,
Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#13. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 12

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:45 AM

>The NIkon D800 is way way more than just 36MP.
>
>I love my D800! I love the dynamic range, depth of color and
>detail in texture.

Fully agree, this describes my sentiment as well. If anything, the dynamic range had more of a visible impact for me than the 3x increase in MP (over my D700). As for the pixels, seeing how well that big increase worked for everything including legacy lenses, I'm sure we will see another 3x increase to 100MP in the not so distant future.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#14. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 13

avisys Basic Member
Tue 20-Nov-12 04:02 AM

> I'm sure we will see another 3x increase to 100MP in the not so distant future.

Heh, heh! Let's see, will Photoshop CS7 run on a mainframe?

AviSys

JCY88

US
193 posts

#15. "RE: The Verdict of 36MP - post sharpening not as effective" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 20-Nov-12 04:30 AM

Well said here you guys. Wha t really ask is whether 36MB is really a big plus. One thing I seems to find is that 36MB made post sharpening not as effective or apparent. Is there anyone noticed that.

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#16. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Tue 20-Nov-12 04:53 AM

I used to shoot 7 - 9 frames to get best HDR results with a D300 or D700. Between the D800e and CS6, I can now do the same with 1 - 5 frames. Yes, I said 1. About half of my HDR shots result in me using just one frame. I can get great results in high contrast scenes with less work than I could ever get before.

The level of details in my bird shots allows me to crop to 10-25% of the frame with no worries.

Now that I have learned to shoot birds flying while hand holding, I am in pig heaven! No more tripod legs to trip over and drag around on the beach.

Unlike Eric, I try to stop increasing ISO when I hit 1,000. While the details and dynamic range are still there, I don't like to work so hard to get the noise out without hurting details.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

RIW

Kings Lynn, UK
265 posts

#17. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

RIW Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Tue 20-Nov-12 07:25 AM

800E!

My D3X and D3S are so neglected sitting in the cupboard. I have not found any days when it would be better to use them rather than the 800E. For field use the D3X always travelled with a tripod, the D3S needed longer lenses. So the 800E kit is much lighter. I can wear it on my waist. If this was not enough the much better DR and flexibility of the RAW files would clinch the issue. It has no problems with black and white cats, or white flowers on dull days. The D3X needed great care and in my hands multiple attempts and HDR for these subjects. In the field say with flying Oyster Catchers you only get one attempt. The 800E delivers black and white detail on a realistic sky.

36 good MP allows more DOF control by stepping back and cropping than is ever achievable by stopping down. Now my investment in the best glass pays off handsomely.

Bring on the 100 MP sensor!

Roderick

mgd7

New York, US
104 posts

#18. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

mgd7 Registered since 06th Mar 2012
Tue 20-Nov-12 12:02 PM

The D800 has been out ~8 months, so that's some rounding to get to a full year. The E version has been out 2-3 weeks less, I believe.

That said, it shouldn't take very long to decide if 36 megapixels are right for you. In my case, it took me less than 1 day to know this is a camera to hang onto for a LONG time.

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#19. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 18

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Tue 20-Nov-12 01:24 PM

I agree I will be hanging on to this camera a long,long time. Never owned a camera that shot a picture where I could count the hairs on a Bee's butt until I got this one. Take a look 100% crop.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/377308/size/big/cat/21729

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3375 posts

#20. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 20-Nov-12 05:08 PM

Mike -- You must be getting awfully close to the business end of a bee!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

JCY88

US
193 posts

#21. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 20-Nov-12 07:21 PM

I love to redo all my shots with D800 but not really possible. I had a few prints cancelled for not having enough resolution for a large prints at www.macroxscape.com I wish I had d800 since 2010. From now on I only deal with full 36MB, even with DX lens.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#22. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 7

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 21-Nov-12 12:22 PM

If you are comparing like scenes, at the same viewing distance and print size, while the D700 is very good, the D800 is better, visibly better, not only on the amount of noise but the character of the noise that is there.
Down sizing to typical print sizes seems to erase noise due to averaging of random noise but when it is visible, it is very fine grained and pleasant for old film shooters. By downsizing and printing at 600dpi, I have a couple on my wall that are 12k and one at 25k from inside a dark castle ruin and few people could guess the ISO of those stratospheric levels could be wall worthy. The D4 might have lower absolute noise amplitude, the D800 is more pleasing in appearance, to my eye.

One problem with comparisons is the ease of pixel peeping while forgetting what the display really represents. A 100% crop on the screen of a D700 file is not the same animal at all as the D800 file viewed at 100% so watch the magnification factor or print.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#23. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 20

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Wed 21-Nov-12 01:20 PM

>Mike -- You must be getting awfully close to the business end
>of a bee!

Na that was with the new 85mm 1.8 about a meter or so

greyface

Acushnet, US
1613 posts

#24. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Wed 21-Nov-12 10:43 PM

I have moved from a D700 to the D800 and was disappointed at first. I did not realize that my handholding technique needed to be improved. I was getting a lot of images that were not as sharp as I was getting with the D700. Now that I have slowed down, I've seen seen an improvement. I love the detail in the images. Have gotten a lot of compliments on the detail in the feathers of an owl I posted recently.
I like the bracket button and the easier access to turning on/off the auto ISO, a lot of my shooting is in low light.
The only thing I miss is the faster frame rate the D700 could give me.
-------------------

JonK

New York, US
6408 posts

#25. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Wed 21-Nov-12 11:51 PM

JC, regarding sharpening: as a gross generalization, the larger the file size the more sharpening can be applied, usually as a smaller Radius and larger Amount. So if you feel the need, don't be afraid to be more aggressive. That said, I find (with good technique!) my D800e images are very sharp to begin with…

As for my D800e in toto, I love it. The dynamic range and the croppability are at the top of the list. The fact that is it so much smaller and lighter than my D3s is nice, too. For "normal" usage (normal size prints or web work) I find ISO 6400 about the same as from my D3s. My only misgiving regards the autofocus — the occasional lack thereof. Don't get me wrong — the AF is very good — but the failure rate is a bit higher than on my D3s. But darn, I love this camera!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#26. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 25

Thu 22-Nov-12 02:39 AM

My only
>misgiving regards the autofocus — the occasional lack thereof.
>Don't get me wrong — the AF is very good — but the failure
>rate is a bit higher than on my D3s. But darn, I love this
>camera!
>
>Jon Kandel
>A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
>Please visit my website and critique the
>images!

Hi Jon,

If I may suggest trying out the D800's AF options. For me, using AF-C 3D, 11points W/ shutter release works well (some on that in my post above). It might be good to engage the "focus" option also, so the camera won't shoot unless there is a subject in focus. I was very frustrated when I tried AF on my D800 in the same way I had done on other cameras. A good book on the D800 is also priceless!

The Nikon D800 is a fantastic camera! I think the real learning curve for this camera is re-thinking how I used to focus and shoot, and adapting to how this camera best works for me.

Best Regards and Well Wishes,

Ken

Springdiver

US
6 posts

#27. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

Springdiver Registered since 05th Nov 2012
Thu 22-Nov-12 04:24 AM

My D800E is waiting for me at home. I'm in the Middle East finishing a work assignment and have not yet handled the camera at all. I'm expecting great results from it. I shoot a D3X underwater and will continue to do so as I'm not of a mind to buy another camera housing at this time. Other than that, I expect the D800E to be my go-to camera for above water work around the Florida springs and coastal kayak trips. I'm excited about the camera and its possibilities. I'd not have thought my D700 would become a backup body!

http://www.wendythurman.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#28. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 27

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 22-Nov-12 06:43 AM

Took me a month to dial in the settings and to improve my technique.
After 3 months I had my highest keeper rate ever.
At Events I shoot best quality Mid Size JPEGs and like the 20 MP images better than our D600 at full resolution.
I tried moving the Auto ISO above 6400 and had to move it back.
I think conditions need to be right to go higher.
This is the best and most comfortable to hold camera I've ever owned.

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#29. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 22

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Thu 22-Nov-12 11:56 AM

>One problem with comparisons is the ease of pixel peeping
>while forgetting what the display really represents. A 100%
>crop on the screen of a D700 file is not the same animal at
>all as the D800 file viewed at 100% so watch the magnification
>factor or print.
>Stan

Good point, Stan. And the same thing's true when you go to 100% in Photoshop. An interesting experiment is to downsample the 36 mpx image to 12 mpx and view the result at 100%. That's the comparison that makes sense.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#30. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 10

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Thu 22-Nov-12 12:14 PM

WOW!!!

JCY88

US
193 posts

#31. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 25

Thu 22-Nov-12 03:59 PM

Thanks, Jon, for the sharpening tip. Indeed, I used to be afraid of over sharpening; now it seems I run out sharpening scale often to see the effect. I love my D800 and hope Nikon will not come up with an ungrade too soon to distract my attention. I love the clear and detailed images and freedom to crop. 36MB rocks!

JCY88

US
193 posts

#32. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 28

Thu 22-Nov-12 04:06 PM

I wish I can say "I have my highest keeper rate ever" in the new year or sooner as you did, Mr. RRRoger. Can you give us some pointers?

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#33. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 22-Nov-12 05:54 PM

I am taking more pleasure from this Nikon D800 than any camera I've used in several years. It has reawakened a burning desire to take pictures all day long.

I was carrying the Nikon D600 as a carry camera, until my dear wife appropriated it and made me buy her a new tripod, to boot. Now, I am carrying my D800 everywhere I go. Having it in my small camera bag, with me always, allows me to grab snapshots like this one:

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#34. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 32

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 22-Nov-12 06:44 PM

>I wish I can say "I have my highest keeper rate
>ever" in the new year or sooner as you did, Mr. RRRoger.
>Can you give us some pointers?<<<

First one is to remember that this is not a D4 nor was it supposed to compete with the ultimate Sports and Photo Journalism machine.
So slow down, steady yourself, and wait for the camera to focus.
If you do, you will be surprised has fast that actually is.
I use AF-C, high shutter speed, and the AF-ON button and that helps too, especially with action shots.

The rest of the settings are pretty much personal and definitely would not suit everyone.

JCY88

US
193 posts

#35. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 33

Thu 22-Nov-12 09:24 PM

Darrell,

The photo you attached reminds me of a shot few years back in a huge snowstorm in the East,

http://macroxscape.redbubble.com/sets/141503/works/6951520-reach

It was shot with D300 and 11-16mm SWA then. But I could not print as large as I liked to. Now with D800 and 16-35VR, it almost sky is the limit, if I read and follow your "Mastering the Nikon D800" again and more carefully in details this time. Thanks!

Jim
www.macroXscape.com

JCY88

US
193 posts

#36. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 22

Thu 22-Nov-12 09:42 PM

Stan,

An interesting point you raised. Now allow me to the liberty of extrapolating it a little.
Say if I use a very nice DX lens, like 17-55/2.8 and attached it with an TC1.4 to D800. It becomes effective 24-77/4 lens. Will it produce theoretically better image than 17-55/2.8 with TC, assuming at 1.4 Mag no IQ degradation?

Jim
www.macroXscape.com

JonK

New York, US
6408 posts

#37. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 26

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Thu 22-Nov-12 10:19 PM

Thanks, Ken, but it's not a setting or technique issue. Regardless of subject, motion or still, tripod or handheld, the AF on my D800e is not as reliable as the AF on my D3s. Mind you, I'm talking about a difference of a few frames out of a hundred…

Jon Kandel

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

#38. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Fri 23-Nov-12 12:06 AM

The D800 continues to boggle the mind with its resolution. When it first came out, I made the statement that "I don't need 36 MP." However, after being wowed by examples of what it would do, I broke down and bought one.
Last weekend, after shooting photos of bald eagles in flight while they were fishing for about 4 hours with my D3s, I decided to try my D800. Later during post processing of the D800 photos of an eagle with a fish in its talons that I shot from probably 30-40 yards away, I noticed what I thought were dust specks in the frame. However, after checking several shots in the sequence, I noticed that they did not appear in every frame and, when they did occur, were in different positions in the frame. So, I went back to the first photo in which I noticed the specks and after zooming in to more than 100% and doing further inspection, I realized that what I was seeing was small blood droplets falling from the fish where the eagle's talons had penetrated the scales. So, like many others, I can't say enough good things about the D800.
The only thing that I would change is I would significantly increase the frame rate, but the slower frame rate is a small price to pay for the magnificent photos you get with it.
Best regards,

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#39. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 33

Fri 23-Nov-12 12:29 AM | edited Fri 23-Nov-12 12:32 AM by Skyco

Hi Darrell,

Beautiful photo and a great example of the wide dynamic range of the D800!

My verdict of 36MP - Totally Awesome!

I am continually amazed by the fine detail that shows up in the photos from my D800. Extreme detail in dragonflies and butterflies shot with a 24-85 mm.

This is a 100% crop from a head & neck shot of a mule, 24 -85mm 3.5 4.5, @62mm from about 6 ft. When I was checking this photo on my computer I zoomed in 100% on the mule's eye and saw the reflection of my wife and I while I was taking the photo. How many other DSLR's can do that?
Please do click on it for a larger image.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#40. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 36

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 23-Nov-12 06:29 AM

I don't quite understand your question, but lenses like the 17-55mm DX Nikkor are not intended for, and don't work well with, teleconverters.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JCY88

US
193 posts

#41. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 40

Fri 23-Nov-12 07:33 AM

Hi, Brain,

My basic curiosity is whether we can improve the IQ of a fine DX lens by modest magnification, e.g., 1.4X, to fill all 36MB sensor area. Certainly if a TC degrades the IQ, it is no good. But even then, will higher resolution provided by 36 MB improve the appearance of better IQ?

Jim
www.macroXscape.com

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#42. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 41

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 23-Nov-12 08:21 AM

Resolution is just one part of what we tend to refer to as "image quality". But any TC will degrade things to some extent, this isn't something I'd expect to be worth trying.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#43. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 36

Fri 23-Nov-12 09:48 AM

Jim

We've had that question come up in another thread. My immediate reaction was the same as Brian's - it would degrade the image. But the real question is whether the degradation from the teleconverter would be more or less than the loss of pixels by cropping to DX. It would be good for someone to give this a test. Of course, the Nikon teleconverters won't fit, so the test would have to be with the Kenko Pro teleconverter.

My guess is that with 36 megapixel resolution you will see a softer image, so then the question turns to what happens when it is resized to DX proportions.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#44. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 38

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 23-Nov-12 03:52 PM

Faster fps, but apart from that I thought my D700 was the best, absolutely no doubts about upgrading. So much so, that I would have to seriously consider if I really now need a D400 if such a camera ever materialises.

Many if not most of my images are downsized to 16Mp as I find my wildlife shots benefit greatly, selected landscape, portrait and architectural images for printing are normally kept at the native file size.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#45. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 24-Nov-12 07:06 AM

36MP was a lot more than what I wanted, but the D800 met all of my criteria.

Five and half months after I've owned the camera, over 18,000 images captured - The most amazing camera I have ever owned!

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#46. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 37

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 24-Nov-12 02:09 PM | edited Sat 24-Nov-12 02:10 PM by KnightPhoto

>Thanks, Ken, but it's not a setting or technique issue.
>Regardless of subject, motion or still, tripod or handheld,
>the AF on my D800e is not as reliable as the AF on my D3s.
>Mind you, I'm talking about a difference of a few frames out
>of a hundred…
>
My subjective impression agrees with this. I am still working out a firmer regime of when/where the D4 AF beats D800E. I have the impression the D4 handles all out action AF better. I also feel D4 AF is faster or possibly more accurate, the feeling I get is I wave the D4 vaguely in the direction of my subject and it nails the heck out of it. Caution to reader - very subjective on my part, I intend to continue to evaluate this impression, and form a more assured impression.

Edit thanks Jon for the sharpening tip, am about to post a couple photos giving it a try.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#47. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 7

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 24-Nov-12 03:01 PM

>Stan -- I respect your findings and wonder how you feel about
>the D800 at higher ISOs. I shoot the D700 for a lot of news
>photography, including indoor sports and am just blown away by
>its ability to operate so noise free at 1600, and relatively
>so at 32 and 6400. I'd like to know what you feel about those
>ISOs on your D800. I don't need astronomical ISOs -- the
>25,000 and above. But I have had reservations about 6400,
>which I need in at least two locations I often shoot where I
>shoot basketball at 6400 and get 1/250th at f4. Thanks in
>advance.

I'm having some fun today, processing D800E which I shot in theatre for the first time last night. The first image I selected to show is my daughter at ISO 6400 to show a bit of questionable noise in handling of blue/pink background, it's more noticeable at full size on my computer. I believe my D4 will beat this when I return to shoot another performance. At 1200 pixels wide you can't really see the problem but it's there and would require selective noise reduction.

Then the next image is another actress at ISO 8000 which is more pleasing with black background - Nikon FX cameras have been handling black backgrounds very well for a while now.

I purposely used Jon's tip to up the sharpening amount and reduce the radius (78, 2, 4) which is very high for Capture NX2 and high ISO situations! Basically I wanted to give noise a torture test by sharpening a lot. No noise reduction attempted.

On balance I'd say very good (who am I kidding, a year ago I would have died and gone to heaven with this type of output) and from memory, much better than my D700 which also had some trouble with blue backgrounds. I liked to keep my D700 to ISO 5000 if I could for this reason.

Anyhow, last night was a test and am enjoying processing today. I've only processed 3 photos so far and am only a third of the way through culling so lots more to do.

Third one is just a nice image of my daughter - this one happened to be ISO 8000, and surprises the heck out of me! Hmmm the D800E may be decent after all for these type of wide shots in theatre, looking promising here at early stages...

BTW am also using both these cameras for video in theatre now and so far very good on a different play that I filmed (D4 at 2.7 crop mode with 70-300 for tight composition and D800E with 70-200 at normal crop for wider stage view) . I shoot them both concurrently which can be a bit of a challenge, and intercut them in post. Will be videoing this play on Wednesday night and looking forward to it!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#48. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 46

Sun 25-Nov-12 02:33 AM

I have the impression the D4 handles all out action AF better.
>I also feel D4 AF is faster or possibly more accurate,
The feeling I get is I wave the D4 vaguely in the direction
of my subject and it nails the heck out of it.
>
>Best regards, SteveK

Steve, I had the same impression when I tested the D4.
But beware, the D3 made me so sloppy that
I had a really hard time getting any non blurry shots with my D7000.
It took months to hone my shooting style enough to ween from TriPod then MonoPod to HandHeld.
Then when I got my D800 it moved me to a new level, but at least I knew what to do.
Even though the D800 was not designed for all out action, it handles it quite well,
especially considering that it delivers twice the MegaPixels.

JCY88

US
193 posts

#49. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 43

Sun 25-Nov-12 05:27 PM

I thought I did a QAD (quick & dirty) try on TC/DX. Here is a comparison of the images with and with TC and resized to actual size to discern effective IQ:

It appears that the 1.4X TC (Kenko Pro) does not degrade the IQ and higher resolution enhances the IQ somewhat. Of course this is a bit generalization with the simple test result.

JonK

New York, US
6408 posts

#50. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 47

Sun 25-Nov-12 06:01 PM

Steve,I shoot some off- and off-off- Broadway with a D3s and recently tried my D800e. I find ISO 3200-6400 — which is where I have to be due to poor lighting — and I'm getting similar results to the D3s when reduced to the same size. And selective, localized noise reduction in Lightroom is so easy…

My D3s is getting very little use these days…

Jon Kandel

RMIrish2012

US
3 posts

#51. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 45

RMIrish2012 Registered since 03rd Oct 2012
Sun 25-Nov-12 09:55 PM

just starting on the journey, however I am suitably impressed with what I am getting from my D800. I waited quite awhile for my step up (from a D200) and it was worth it.

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#52. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 51

Mon 26-Nov-12 02:28 AM

Congratulations on your D800!

I highly recommend Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D800" if you don't already have it. I find his book invaluable!

I hope you enjoy your photography and especially your Nikon D800!

Well Wishes,

Ken

moizes

Brooklyn, US
1322 posts

#53. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 52

moizes Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006
Tue 27-Nov-12 06:26 PM | edited Tue 27-Nov-12 06:27 PM by moizes

20121029-085 by longzoom, on Flickr

20121029-085-3 by longzoom, on Flickr Its DR and resolution of the sensor - what attracted me much. (Sorry for posting the image /crop second time - have nothing else to show so far - no time.) D800, Nikkor 105/2.8 AIS, ISO 1600, handheld. Dimitri.

JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

#54. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Tue 27-Nov-12 08:11 PM

I'm a Medium Format film bigot but the D800 has made a digital believer out of me. It is good enough that for at least half the photo projects I would have thought only MF could do the job I now take the D800 instead. I have made stunning prints at around 30 inches on the long side. You need the best lenses to exploit all those pixels at that density. The 300 mm F/2.8 Nikkor is superb. Also the 24 - 70 mmm and the 105 mm Micro Nikkor. Somewhat surprising, the bargain priced 70 - 300 mm VR does a more than respectable job from 70 - 250 mm. I would not consider a lens like the newish 28 - 300 although it is FX.

Simply a superb camera. Has far exceeded expectations mainly because of pixel density in a sensor that size.

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#55. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 54

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Tue 27-Nov-12 08:22 PM

<<I would not consider a lens like the newish 28 - 300 although it is FX.>>

Many do consider the 28-300mm a good match to the D800, me included. Have you tried it?

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

moizes

Brooklyn, US
1322 posts

#56. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 55

moizes Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006
Tue 27-Nov-12 08:48 PM

><<I would not consider a lens like the newish 28 - 300
>although it is FX.>>
>
>Many do consider the 28-300mm a good match to the D800, me
>included. Have you tried it?
>
>Richard
As you can see, Richard, critics on the lens, mostly, are people who has never seen nor tried nor touched the lens. I don't understand that phenomen, but so be it. Let us be back to the topic. Dimitri.

JCY88

US
193 posts

#58. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 56

Tue 27-Nov-12 09:30 PM

The $64 question is whether 36MP make them better or worse. Some would say better, others, worse. I say with same skill, 36MP makes it better.

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#59. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Tue 27-Nov-12 09:57 PM

Hey! At f8, at optimum range of zoom, and in good light, all the lenses are great! And up to the D800.

Where lenses fall down is with flare, or wide (for the lens) openings, or at non-optimum range of zoom. That's where your $2,000 pays off.

AviSys

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#60. "RE: The. Verdict of 36MP" | In response to Reply # 54

Tue 27-Nov-12 10:45 PM | edited Tue 27-Nov-12 10:48 PM by RRRoger

Somewhat surprising, the bargain
>priced 70 - 300 mm VR does a more than respectable job from 70
>- 250 mm. I would not consider a lens like the newish 28 - 300
>although it is FX.
>JH<<<

Why not?
I've had two versions of the 70-300 and would be happy to trade both for one 28-300 Nikkor

The $64 question is whether 36MP make them better or worse?<<<
All my lens are performing better now that I have a D800.

G