Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jfitzg14

US
141 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jfitzg14 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012
Fri 16-Nov-12 01:46 PM

Amazon just stopped selling the D800E. I have been doing a lot
of internet research and i am concerned about the different
issues the cameras has or might have.  I am no pro.  I don't
have the skills to sit here and do all of the focus test and
the like.  I am trying to just take pictures and develop my
skills.  What should I do?  Is the D800 less problematic?  I
have the D300 and have been frustrated with my pictures and I
found the camera to have a front focusing issue.  I am sending
that camera back to Nikon and I was going to upgrade to the
D800e.

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

#1. "RE: Amazon" | In response to Reply # 0

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Fri 16-Nov-12 07:16 PM

I'm not sure where you are in the world, but in the USA Amazon still appears to be selling the D800e. They even have a 2% cash back offer. I just went on their site.

More to your questions: From what I have read, the D800 was more likely to have to focus issue. Thom Hogan has written about this, I believe. Somewhere I read the thought was the D800e might have had more rigorous QC. In any case from what I have also read, the focus issue is mostly addressed in fresh stock cameras that are arriving in the USA. What other issues are you concerned about? I don't know of anything else significant.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jfitzg14

US
141 posts

#2. "RE: Amazon" | In response to Reply # 1

jfitzg14 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012
Fri 16-Nov-12 08:34 PM

I actually called Amszon and was told they did not feel comfortable selling the camera at this time. They wouldn't giver a reason. Now it is back for sale

aay

CA
172 posts

#3. "RE: Amazon" | In response to Reply # 0

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Fri 16-Nov-12 10:22 PM

To start off - I'm not a pro either. And I also was frustrated with my D90 back focusing issue. Which only sped up my upgrade to a FF camera, which was D800.

I got my D800 early on and am now dealing with focus issue. Since this is a lot of money, if you do decide to go with either model of D800 I would strongly suggest buying it from a dealer who has good return policy (no questions for a month?). Also I would highly suggest buying and then returning (sure, it's bad) if you don't want to keep a good fast wide lens (24mm? 35mm?) - which would allow you do to focus precision testing. If you do notice bad/inconsistent focus, do not hesitate to return/exchange camera right away. Do not bother sending it in for service.

And good luck to you no matter what camera you choose!

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

G