Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

little dots on the picture

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Mon 12-Nov-12 09:26 PM

If this is a topic in another post, I sincerely apologize.

So I've been taking some great photos (at least I think they are pretty great), and had these tiny little black dots on the picture. Mostly these dots (only a couple in the beginning) showed up in the upper center portion of the picture. I did the in camera clean and also took a bulb and blew some air into it, and nothing seemed to work. I just thought it was a piece of dirt that somehow got into the camera. Lord knows I've been to some pretty dusty places recently. I just thought whatever it was would somehow find its way out of the camera.

But this weekend, I was trying to take some photos of some geese flying and found that in the photos not only were there tiny dots, the dots had increased and there appears to like more dots all along the upper portion of the picture. Not a pretty sight.

So I called my camera dealer where I purchased my camera, and he "Nikon has acknowledged a problem with oil getting on the sensor. It is now a well know problem! Holy Cow! I've read about oil on the sensor, but didn't think there was a problem.

Because of hurricane Sandy, my dealer is shipping the camera to Torrance "just to be on the safe side". I guess Mellville is in the area where the hurricane came through. I know NYCm Long Island, and parts of NJ are still a mess.

Thought I would pass this along.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7075 posts

#1. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 12-Nov-12 10:25 PM

Dust (or other stuff) on the sensor is a fact of life with DSLRs. When the blowers don't solve the problem, it is time for a wet cleaning.
This site has good products and tutorials:
http://www.CopperHillImages.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#2. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 0

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Mon 12-Nov-12 10:25 PM

Hi there!

Bummer about the oil, if it is oil. I just went thru a similar issue yesterday about said dot...for me it was something on the sensor and I ultimately cleaned it with eclipse and sensor wipes...the question is will that clean oil?

Maybe someone else can comment about using eclipse to clear oil...

What fstops does it appear at?

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#3. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 13-Nov-12 08:30 PM

I was told by the Nikon dealer that every time the shutter is released, it also released a tiny drop of oil. He said it is very common with this camera.

I'm not unhappy in any way, and just hope the problem can be solved. Just thought other people would like to know.

As for me touching the sensor. Nope, not going there. I'll let the professionals do the cleaning and I'll even pay for it as I do not want to destroy my camera.

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#4. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 3

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Tue 13-Nov-12 11:24 PM

Hey Eliot,

I'll tell you, I was scared out of my mind about cleaning the sensor; but using the correct sensor wipes and solution, it was an absolutely simple easy fix. The camera puts the mirror up, and away you go. Really, it was an absolute breeze...and yes, I was scared too!

I will clean my sensor every time from now on. very very straight forward.

BTW, DO NOT USE QTIPS like I did the first time around! You want to talk about "...oh @#$%! I think I ruined my sensor...", but after 7 swipes later with the correct solution and pads, it was nice and clean!

Good luck.

~Kam

aay

CA
172 posts

#5. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 3

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Wed 14-Nov-12 01:22 AM

Good luck waiting for the problem to be solved. I am dealing with focusing issue and Nikon's replies that "it's all good". I'm sure people with "oil issue" will get the same run around.

Feels good to have wasted $3000, doesn't it?

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#6. "RE: little dots on the picture" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 15-Nov-12 06:52 AM

I do not believe I wasted $3,000. The D800 is an awesome camera. The camera has more capabilities than I have in abilities.

This is a minor issue which is being resolved. I have no complaints with the camera or Nikon. Nothing is perfect.

I hope you can enjoy the D800 as much as I have.

G