Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Wed 07-Nov-12 01:52 PM

Thom Hogan has posted a serial number series for the D800 that he thinks probably do not have the left focus problem. I bought a D800E that had the problem and returned it (leaving me $136.00 out of pocket for 2 way shipping) rather than try to jump through the repair hoop. Since then I have been waiting for some assurance that I could buy a D800E without having to worry about whether it is defective.

Does anyone have any information as to whether there is a D800E serial number series that is probably OK? Thom Hogan has indicated that he does not have that information. I will appreciate any advice you can offer.

JDT

aay

CA
172 posts

#1. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 0

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Wed 07-Nov-12 07:33 PM

I believe I did see the series number you are looking for on Thom's site. Find his article named "Focus on Focus" in which he says the following:

"I've now seen enough just delivered D800's without the left sensor problem that I'll probably revise my D800 review back to Recommended later this week (applies to US serial numbers 3050000 and higher)."

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#2. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 0

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Wed 07-Nov-12 08:55 PM

D800E's with a serial number of 3007xxx appear to be safe.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS 24L & BH-55
Nikkors: *14-24 *24-70 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300 & Tamron 90mm Macro

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#3. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 07-Nov-12 11:26 PM

Hi Alex,

That is a reference to the D800 model, not the D800E. Thom Hogan indicated to me in an email exchange that he does not have a number for the D800E.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#4. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 07-Nov-12 11:30 PM

Hi Bob,

Is that based on your own experience, i.e. because your D800E is in that serial number series? Or is it based on some wider survey of data?

Thanks for the post.

JDT

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#5. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 07-Nov-12 11:53 PM

Both. Thom Hogan's data suggests the same s/n's are OK. Also, others reported on this forum they got trouble free D800Es from the same s/n range from Amazon and Samys.

Until Nikon comes clean with us we cannot know for sure. It's educated guesswork.

Nikkors: *14-24 *24-70 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300 & Tamron 90mm Macro

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#6. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 08-Nov-12 05:42 PM

OK, thanks for the reply. It appears that Nikon is not going to tell us anything. As Thom Hogan has pointed out, that approach is not earning Nikon any good will from loyal Nikon users.

JDT

venusian

US
186 posts

#7. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 6

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Thu 08-Nov-12 07:17 PM

Jim,

My serial number is 3006230...D800E purchased from Samy's mid Septermber when a new batch arrived. It has no focus issues.

Nikon will not tell us anything. And sending a D800/E in for focus repairs still appears to be a crapshoot.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

#8. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 7

kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Fri 09-Nov-12 11:16 PM

Mine is 3006508 D800e and it seems to be focus error free (I've tried 3 different times to check, all 3 times it seems fine )...thank god!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#9. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 13-Nov-12 05:33 PM

Nick, thanks for sharing the information. It is unfortunate that we have to guess about whether an expensive camera will or will not be defective, but it appears that that is the way it is. However, based on feedback from fellow Nikonians I am feeling much better about the chances of being able to buy a camera that is not defective.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#10. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 13-Nov-12 05:36 PM

Kamputty, that is good to hear. Hopefully you will not have any problem. Please see my reply to Nick for my further comments. Thanks for sharing the information and good luck with your D800E.

JDT

venusian

US
186 posts

#11. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 9

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Tue 13-Nov-12 06:11 PM

Jim,

If you purchase the D800/E from e.g. B&H, and you find it to be defective you can return it within 30 days. If I were doing it over again, I would follow this route, buy the camera, do some focus point testing on it (I can share with you what I've done) and then decide next steps.

Yes, it is a shame the way Nikon is treating its customers with this. Very unprofessional.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#12. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 15-Nov-12 01:17 AM

Hello Again Nick,

I did buy a D800E that had the focus problem (bought from Berger Bros.) and did return it rather than try to jump through the repair route hoops. However, I had to pay the shipping both ways and ended up out of pocket $136.00. That did not seem like a good result since the reason for the return was the defect in the camera. I am not faulting Berger Bros. but feel that Nikon should step up and help its customers who receive a defective product. In any event I don't regret returning the camera after hearing some of the really bad reports from those who have tried to get their cameras properly repaired. At this time I am more or less waiting until Crutchfield again offers double points, which will help recoup the shipping costs I had to pay. It appears that pretty much all the dealers now have the camera in stock.

JDT

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#13. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 15-Nov-12 01:30 AM

I switched to amazon for my camera and lens purchases because amazon pays return shipping with no questions for a defective or not-as-advertised product. I also got a 2% credit for big camera and lens purchases which i can spend on amazon. I quit b&h in the early d800 days ehen they were stonewalling all questions about delivery dates.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#16. "RE: Any Guidance For "Safe" D800E Serial Numbers?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 15-Nov-12 02:19 AM

It is rather simple to find out if your camera is one of the majority that are great. Buy from a local pro shop and check it out before bringing it home. On-line has a higher risk attached to buying sight unseen.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

G