Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Replacement battery door cover for D800

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 12-Oct-12 05:02 AM

I lost the battery cover for my D800E body today. Does anyone know of a source for replacement.

This is the second time it has fallen off during normal use. I don't really care for the new design. The battery latch is better and holds the battery in place even without the cover.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#1. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 12-Oct-12 08:37 AM

Sorry to hear you lost it. Mine came off last week too while on a trip; luckily I found it. I have a feeling you may have to send the whole camera to Nikon for repair, according to Thom Hogan's recent story on Nikon's new position on parts sales.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2317 posts

#2. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Fri 12-Oct-12 09:19 AM

Peachtree Camera Repair claims to be an authorized repair center. Give them a call and see if they can get you the part.

562 Wylie Road, S.E. Suite 4, Marietta GA 30067
Toll Free 888-539-7824 Local 770-795-8020 Fax 770-795-8030

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#3. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Fri 12-Oct-12 12:34 PM

There's one here Eric but it's in the UK - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D800-DSLR-Camera-Battery-Door-Cover-Genuine-/280972663801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416b469bf9

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#4. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 2

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 12-Oct-12 01:07 PM

Thanks Dave and Bob.

I hope I don't need to send the camera to Nikon. Atlanta has two Nikon Authorized shops. It would be silly to have to lose the camera for three weeks for a minor part. Precision Photo (www.bocaphoto.com) sells camera doors for under $20 for most earlier X00 models. Of course, the shape of the door on the D800 is different from the others.

This is the second time the battery door has come off in normal use. I have some concern about the design.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#5. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 12-Oct-12 01:17 PM

That's the right idea and about the right price. Hopefully I can get one in the US but at least this provides an option.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#6. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 07-Nov-12 06:28 PM

Just a follow up on this. I ordered the battery door through my local Nikon Authorized shop. This is the same shop that repaired my 24-70 in 4 days. The battery door has been on order from Nikon USA for more than 3 weeks and still not received.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#7. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Wed 07-Nov-12 09:05 PM

Eric,

Sorry about your door. Mine fell off too but fortunately I didn't loose it. But, to keep it from happening again, I put a small piece of black electrical tape on part of the door, across the hinge and onto the body. It's only about 1" long and 1/2" wide, and is perpendicular to and centered over the hinge so that it does not impede the operation of the door at all. The tape is very thin and flexes easily with the hinge. The tape on the body is mostly covered by an L bracket, so it's hardly noticable - if it matters.

This will not only keep me from loosing the door, but since the tape covers the hinge, I don't think it's going to come loose again in the first place. The door feels more secure when I open and close it with the tape in place than it does without it.

When you get your new door, assuming of course Nikon does eventually send it, you might try some electrical tape on it as a safety back-up. Works well for me.

Dave

Johndaniel

CA
3 posts

#8. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Johndaniel Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Wed 07-Nov-12 09:25 PM

Excuse my ignorance but how can you get this part to fall off? Unless you hit the camera on this side?

PS I ask because I have 2 D800e

JD

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#9. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 07-Nov-12 11:52 PM

Tape or something similar is a good suggestion. As is a spare.

It fell off in the normal course of shooting. No impact, wasn't intentionally opened - nothing. I had it previously fall off in my camera bag so it was not unexpected. Obviously it was bumped or something, but it was the same kind of activity I have with 5 other DSLR's that have never once had the issue. It happened twice on the D800E.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#10. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 8

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Thu 08-Nov-12 12:09 AM

I do not know for sure how it came off. I was out in the woods at the time, realized the battery door was not on the camera, and found it nearby on the ground. In order for it to fall off, sequentially the door had to unlatch and open first. Then, once it was hanging loose, get brushed against something that dislodged it from the camera. It could have been my error to securely latch it the last time I replaced the battery, or perhaps I brushed the bottom of the camera against some brush or something that snagged the latch and opened the door and I didn't see it. I really do not know - it only happened once.

Although clearly it is a nice feature that I wouldn't change, the battery latch keeps the battery in place allowing the camera to keep working if the door accidentally opens. Once its open, and hanging by the hinge, it is easily dislodged from that point. If the battery fell out when the door opened, then you would know it immediately if you were actively shooting because you would loose power. But I like the D800 battery latch the way it is. Just recognize that if the door is accidentally opened,and you don't notice it, it can then be easily kocked off hanging in the open position.

For me, there is a simple fix using a small piece of electrical tape as a safety measure.

Dave

nikonus

Southern California, US
498 posts

#11. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 9

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Mon 12-Nov-12 12:12 PM

A friend had the same , door fell off issue . She had no luck getting a replacement . Must be a common failure point considering all these reports .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#12. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 10

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Wed 14-Nov-12 01:51 PM

Great idea with the electrical tape. I had one of my battery doors come off because I hit it when the door was open. It was easy to put back on. I will add the strip of tape to keep from losing one.

Thanks!

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

david_mathre

Skillman, US
531 posts

#13. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006
Wed 14-Nov-12 04:07 PM

There were at least two that fell off during ANPAT 12, including mine. I was lucky to find it on the floor of the van. Ever since then I have been using gaffer tape to keep it from falling off again. I would recommend using gaffer tape rather than electrical or duct tape in that the adhesive does not remain on the camera body.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

aay

CA
172 posts

#14. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Wed 14-Nov-12 04:26 PM

Great tip about using a tape to secure the battery door!

Would be great to have a sticky post with different suggestions like that in the D800 thread.

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

Johndaniel

CA
3 posts

#15. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 14

Johndaniel Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Wed 14-Nov-12 04:30 PM

>Great tip about using a tape to secure the battery door!
>
>Would be great to have a sticky post with different
>suggestions like that in the D800 thread.

Would be great for Nikon to make the D800 mot falling apart...

JD

aay

CA
172 posts

#16. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 15

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Wed 14-Nov-12 04:45 PM

Haha! Tell me about that!

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

#17. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 16

helmdr Registered since 08th Nov 2012
Sun 24-Feb-13 02:22 PM

My battery door fell off during night shoot this week. Wish I had read this before. Anyway, I just odered the part from the Nikon parts store. Hope it doesnt take too long to get here.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16907 posts

#18. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 17

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:03 PM | edited Sun 24-Feb-13 03:04 PM by walkerr

I haven't had this occur with either of my D800/e bodies, but after hearing Eric's travails when we were out shooting together in Death Valley, I ordered several replacements to have on hand. They're only $3.90, so I purchased several. Here's a link for those in the US:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/pd/productID.259487800

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#19. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 18

Sun 24-Feb-13 03:27 PM

Thanks, Rick - good idea to have some on hand. It's a good supply item - like lens and body caps that I already keep in my bag.

While the part is $3.90, shipping is $12.50 so its worthwhile to combine this with other purchases.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16907 posts

#20. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 19

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:49 PM

Hmm...Looks like they're now out of stock since I posted the link.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#21. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 20

Sun 24-Feb-13 04:05 PM

Have you thought about going into sales?

There must have been a mad rush of Nikonians at the store.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16907 posts

#22. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 21

Sun 24-Feb-13 04:18 PM

Apparently!

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#23. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Sun 24-Feb-13 05:39 PM

Mine fell off twice and I had it replaced (under warranty) recently when I sent my D800E to Mellville for a left AF adjustment. I put a piece of gaffer tape on the new one just in case.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#24. "RE: Replacement battery door cover for D800" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 24-Feb-13 10:23 PM

How about an MB-D12 instead of gaffer tape? Eventually, I know I must have one with an RRS L bracket.

I just cannot afford it today!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G